• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea I feel yah. DOfp just started with a lot of action and cool scenes that made the fanboy in me happy. Jennifer lawrence was just so boring.

I want more of the X-men from Deadpool's movie rather than Singer's.
tumblr_inline_mxk4hqFkAk1r09a6c.gif

I've been debating whether or not to watch S4 of Community. Like, it's on Netflix, and it's only 13 episodes... but it sucks, right? I feel pretty content with my memories of S1-3.

kevin1025

Banned
I've been debating whether or not to watch S4 of Community. Like, it's on Netflix, and it's only 13 episodes... but it sucks, right? I feel pretty content with my memories of S1-3.

My personal opinion here, but I honestly only laughed once, and it was at the most obvious joke.

The origin of "Pop Pop!"

The Expendables franchise is simply above being put on a list. It's just too revolutionary.

Thank you! We put a lot of effort in to make the choices more diverse than your usual list. Our next one being planned is horror, which I'm a bit nervous about since it's the genre I know the least. But I'll be watching a lot over the next few months, so any recommendations are welcome.

Oh I'm dumb. You've probably seen most of these but these are all at least pretty good:

-The Witch
-The Wailing
-It Follows
-A Tale of Two Sisters
-The Three Extremes
-Mulholland Drive (if this counts?)
-Green Room
-Housebound
-I Saw the Devil
-Kill List
-The Descent
-Let the Right One In / Let Me In
-The Guest
-Thirst
-House of the Devil
-Maniac
-The Orphanage
-REC
-The Devil's Backbone
-Pulse
-Audition
-Cigarette Burns (not sure if this counts as a movie)

That's a damn fine list of recs, and also very serious. I know I'm late to the convo, and wasn't asked, but I'd also like to add The Loved Ones, May, Triangle, Snowtown Murders, Behind the Mask, Orphan, VHS (2), Funny Games, Eden Lake, Lovely Molly, I Sell the Dead, Ouija: Origin of Evil, Oculus, Hush, The Revenant (2009), Ginger Snaps, Wolf Creek (2), Cold Prey (2), Dead Snow 1 and 2, Bedevilled, Cold Fish, Confessions, and Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead.

Hard Boiled 1992
★★★★
Another great action movie by Woo. Latter half of the movie felt like Woo's take on "Die Hard." Still prefer "The Killer" over this. That teahouse shootout is something I can watch over and over.

I with you on that. Always loved Hard Boiled since a kid, but I got The Killer like a year ago, and really fell in love with it over the former. Hard Boiled has the better characters I think, but the action in The Killer is the best Woo has ever done imo.

Watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning on netflix. Felt more like a modern Wrong Turn film. Seriously ironic. The first remake wasn't bad, so this follow up was a definite disappointment. I don't think the over the top gore of say TCM 2, mixed with a serious in tone story of the first TCM. Maybe it was just bad writing. The ending was just dumb shit. It sacrifices any logic just to confirm that Leatherface is a hulking badass, and the family cannot be fucked with, so stay tuned for the sequel! Meh.

Also got my blu of Riki-Oh. Had to watch it immediately, it's been a few years. I wish I lived in a world where everyone saw this movie lol. For those who like anime, martial arts, over the top gore and effects, or just bad taste movies in general. This is probably the most tame action in the movie. Edit: Oh, actually forgot this movie actually has Phillip Kwok aka Mad Dog from Hard Boiled.
JbDohTq.gif

ricky2.gif

near

Gold Member
A Cure for Wellness

I liked it. A Cure for Wellness is absolutely nuts, but that's exactly what I expected from Verbinski. It's full of red herrings and layers that encourage misdirection, and while that's not a good thing entirely, Verbinski doe's an excellent job of uncovering the veil in the final act. The aesthetics are brilliant giving A Cure for Wellness the feeling of a lucid dream/nightmare, were at times you're left unsure what's real and what's not. It's visually gorgeous and the cinematography takes a clear nod at classic horrors. The story is sort of made up of three parts, for me I like how it all ties together and the ending was satisfying, again for me, but I can also appreciate where the complaints stem from. The story is so bonkers that I couldn't possibly expect more from it. This might be one of the very few Verbinski films I will appreciate.

4/5

Mr. Sam

Days of Future Past - Balancing old and new X-Men, bridging timelines, fixing previous screw-ups while still being a good action popcorn comic movie? It does it all. Impressive filmmaking. 7.5/10
X2 - Everything a sequel should aspire to be. Bigger and better than the original. Expands on the universe and delves deeper in both the characters and the world. 7.5/10

I'm hoping you can combine these two with Logan, assuming it's as good, to make a cogent enough trilogy for future generations to ignore all the other films.

big ander

Alien 3...might be worse than Resurrection? Take away the underdeveloped prison monks concept and it's just the shitty slasher version of Alien. The digital effects and the practical puppet are godawful, the xeno's size and features and color drastically change from shot to shot and half the time it looks like it's floating across the screen. Meanwhile Ripley's arc is basically a watered down mashup of her arcs in Alien and Aliens.
You haven't seen s4-6 at all? Because while 4 is rough, 5 and 6 are pretty great. Inferior to 1-3, certainly, but overall funny and exciting.

UrbanRats

Alien 3...might be worse than Resurrection? Take away the underdeveloped prison monks concept and it's just the shitty slasher version of Alien. The digital effects and the practical puppet are godawful, the xeno's size and features and color drastically change from shot to shot and half the time it looks like it's floating across the screen. Meanwhile Ripley's arc is basically a watered down mashup of her arcs in Alien and Aliens.

Well, if you go about it like that. :p

I wish the movie was all about the space prison planet of people just abandoned to themselves.

big ander

Well, if you go about it like that. :p

I wish the movie was all about the space prison planet of people just abandoned to themselves.
Hah well they make it easy to do! Even in the assembly cut where their religion gets more focus, you never get more than a superficial sense of who the characters are. Would truly be better it had been just them, proper character development would've been necessary. Their religion could've come to mean something, why each of them decided to stay behind and why they ended up there in the first place might have been explored and their slaughter might have meant something as a result. Instead they're fodder for the tracking slasher-cam.

I liked the setting a lot, but yeah it's definitely not as developed as it could be. The Alien parts of the movie are by far the worst too, totally tensioless. which renders the last act kind of a slog. But I think despite its messier elements it's still pretty good. It's a pretty good looking movie, I thought thematically it was pretty cohesive about how Ripley has to come to terms with death, and it's got some good side characters like Charles Dance and Charles Dutton. I admire how dedicated it is to its bleak meditation on death and finding meaning in it, I know a lot of people can't get over how casually it kills off Hicks and Newt but in the context of the story it works.

It's a big step down from 1&2 but I think it's far better than all the films that have come after it even with its whack-ass faults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom