• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| Jan 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Watched some Michael Haneke in the past week.

The Piano Teacher - Thought this was genuinely great and a fascinating character study - there's a kind of intensity to the film that is very subtle but creates a very troubling and uncomfortable atmosphere throughout that's very effective, not something I'd watch again ever, but it was certainly a worth-while experience.

Funny Games (US) - Nope did not care for this, I mean it's interesting deconstruction of the horror genre, but I do not care for what it's trying to say and actually as someone who enjoys violence in cinema - I found it to be a very condescending message. That ending shot with the music was scary as fuck though and surprisingly effective despite the absurdity of it all.

The White Ribbon - Eh I dunno - it's a gorgeous-looking movie, the premise is sound and interesting, but I felt it never really went anywhere or went into any moment of catharsis that gives some sense of conclusion? maybe that was the point, but overall I didn't really care for it and honestly struggled to sit through the whole thing.

Got Cache to check out next and already seen Amour (which I think is the best film of his that I've seen so far).

rude

Banned
^The acting is less dramatic and the actors look physically more believable in the German version imo.

And a lot of caché went over my head; not very informed about french history. Atmosphere of the movie was great though, enjoy.

The Road to El Dorado

A lot more mediocre than I remember it being as a child. :\ The musical numbers are so forced and the songs themselves aren't all that great. It's kind of impressive how impotent the climax is.

Blader

The Guest: This is the film you should watch. It's fucking amazing. It's fascinating, compelling and has the most captivating and intense action ever. The lead actor is just superb. It's just so brilliant and mind bending by the end. It ranks as one of the best films I've seen over the last year and I would highly, highly recommend it.

You know, I really liked this when watching it, but I'm surprised by how much it's stuck with me... been listening to the soundtrack constantly lately. And Stevens really is a beast in this, he nails the character so well.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The White Ribbon - Eh I dunno - it's a gorgeous-looking movie, the premise is sound and interesting, but I felt it never really went anywhere or went into any moment of catharsis that gives some sense of conclusion? maybe that was the point, but overall I didn't really care for it and honestly struggled to sit through the whole thing.

One my favorite movies. Honestly, I think the conclusion was WW2.

Ridley327

Phase IV is a really goddamned weird movie. It's a straight B-movie plot, but it has some of the best special photography I've ever seen, thanks in no small part to how well-arranged all the ant scenes were, with special acknowledgement for the yellow transfer scene and the funeral procession. Who knew that they could be such good little actors in the hands of the world's most famous title designer? I'm not sure if the film is really about anything, as it felt more like a mood piece than aiming for something more profound, but it is certainly quite memorable all the same.

megamerican

Runaway Train So grimy you almost start to feel unclean watching it. One of those movies where you're kinda surprised no stunt people were killed or maimed making the thing. Voight is amazing this, walks that line between going big or going hammy perfectly. I thought Roberts was a little too over the top, and his accent seemed phony in a few parts. But another than that a really tense yet fun ride with a great satisfying ending. 8 out of10

Did a rewatch of 1941.

God, Slim Pickens is awesome in ANYTHING. Having him opposite Toshiro Mifune and Christopher Lee is just a treat. Speaking of treat, that dance number with Treat Williams is incredible. It's an interesting take on war hysteria, but it doesn't amount to much else. It's still a guilty pleasure. The sexual innuendos are obnoxious, though. I get it. You tried appealing to the Animal House crowd while also trying to do a satire. Bad idea.

Mifune

Mehmber
Runaway Train So grimy you almost start to feel unclean watching it. One of those movies where you're kinda surprised no stunt people were killed or maimed making the thing. Voight is amazing this, walks that line between going big or going hammy perfectly. I thought Roberts was a little too over the top, and his accent seemed phony in a few parts. But another than that a really tense yet fun ride with a great satisfying ending. 8 out of10

Absolutely love this movie. The train action is incredible, and there's lots of great character moments. Voight's broom speech is a classic.

You know, I really liked this when watching it, but I'm surprised by how much it's stuck with me... been listening to the soundtrack constantly lately. And Stevens really is a beast in this, he nails the character so well.

I agree with this statement 100%. I just watched this last night after seeing how highly recommended it was on GAF and I have to see that it still managed to blow me away.

At work today I have been listening to the soundtrack non-stop and have been showing clips of the film to co-workers to get them interested in watching it as well. I also enjoyed Dan Stevens in this, as my previous exposure to him was in A Walk Among the Tombstones, which I also felt he was great in, but this is his show and he captures your attention everytime he's on screen.

EDIT: sorry didn't see the New thread posted above, didn't mean to bump this thread again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom