• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| January 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peco

Top 5 December:

1 — Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
2 — Le Pacte des Loups
3 — 3-Iron
4 — Ip Man [rewatch]
5 — Sully

Question: Is Lion worth my money?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I just watched Dog Eat Dog on Netflix as my random movie choice. Nicolas Cage and William Dafoe, what could go wrong? Man I'm not even sure where to start. It was just a lot of poorly paced bad men being bad with little overall driving force except they do shitty shit because their shitty. That and the movie starts in such a jarring manner
Dafoe just fucking snaps after nothing and murders a mother and daughter in a rather gruesome manner
and is barely referenced for the rest of the movie. That and the ending was some fucking incredibly weird and racist bull shit.
Nicolas Cage kidnaps a black reverend and his wife and gets pulled over by the cops. He gets out and starts a gun fight with the cops and they end up shooting the reverand and his wife who are still in the car dozens of time instead of shooting Cage who is blasting away at them.

Toothless

Why Him? exists. That might be a weird way to put it, but it's been about a half hour since I left the theater and I'm struggling to remember any particularly good jokes, or interesting character moments. There are outdated cameos and lame pop culture references, but for positive qualities, the only thing that really sticks out is Key's wacky Gustav character. The film needs more out there elements like that. As it stands, Franco's broad performance sticks out in a bad way, and Cranston isn't allowed to be nearly as funny as he can be. Why Him? is a disappointment, being only moderately funny when with all the talent involved, this should've been one of the best comedies of the year. Shame that it's not only a waste of time for everyone involved, but also for the audience as well.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is a fascinating beast. It is easy to see the film's flaws, but only upon comparison. Compared to The Force Awakens, the characters are deeply underdeveloped. Compared to the original trilogy, the sense of fun and adventure is completely gone. Compared to the third act, the first two acts of the film are dull and a slog.

Yet, it's still a Star Wars movie. It's still cool to meet new characters like Tudyk's K2-SO or Yen's Chirrut, it still has phenomenal action sequences that are a joy to watch, even if they lack the traditional fun of Star Wars, and the first two acts still have really enthralling sequences and take audiences to places they've never seen in this universe. It's still exciting and full of wonder.

The cast is by and large forgettable yet serviceable. Outside of Tudyk and Yen, the only memorable new character is Ben Mendelsohn's Krennic, a delightfully hammy villain with a really cool cape. The effects are stellar throughout, although the ethical implications of a certain CGI character still is slightly bothersome. Giacchino's score is as good as a traditional non-Williams score could be for this franchise, but one wishes that it might've been more experimental for this side-story. Still, it more than anything carries the first two acts, which might sound like an insult, but really it's just a good score.

Then the third act kicks in, and wow. A brilliantly orchestrated series of sub-sequences that constantly excites and keeps you on the edge of your seat. This is where Rogue One shines, where you realize that despite their underdevelopment, you care for these characters deeply. In addition to be a technical showcase and thrilling setpiece, it's emotional in a way unexpected from any blockbuster. The emotion continues to the admittedly fan-service-filled epilogue, when the film ties in perfectly with the first time audiences ever journey to this galaxy far, far away.

Rogue One is different from any other Star Wars movie, and that should be commended. Although it's certainly not the best the franchise has to offer, it still is an essential blockbuster, with incredible action sequences, stunning imagery, and a surprisingly big heart. If this what A Star Wars Story looks like, having them co-exist with the Episodes is fine by me.

Fences by August Wilson is an absolutely brilliant play. In my personal experience, it's one of my favorite plays I've ever read, being constantly entertaining with a lot of depth. Denzel Washington translates Fences to the big screen rather well, but that's the key word: translate. This is not an adaptation of Fences. This is a filmed version of August Wilson's text, which, in theory, is not a bad idea. However, when looking at other films adapted from plays, it seems disappointing that a lot of potential was left at the table.

Yet, Fences is still Fences, and thus it is still a very good watch. Washington gives Troy his signature greatness, but Davis steals the show as Rose, as it should be. The rest of the cast is stellar too, bringing Wilson's words to life very exquisitely. The rest of the film elements (direction, cinematography, score, editing) is incredibly unremarkable in a sadly dull way.

It really is a shame that Fences does not take advantage of the film medium much at all. If it had, then it could've been one of the year's best easily. As it is, it's still a good film, but a very disappointing one. Fences has great performances and a stellar script by August Wilson, but in nearly every other way, the film falls flat.

Also, following Carrie Fisher's passing, I marathon-rewatched Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and The Force Awakens. :(

Top 5 new watches of December 2016:

1. It's a Wonderful Life - 5
2. Manchester by the Sea
3. Die Hard
4. You Can Count on Me
5. Gone Baby Gone

LionPride

Banned
So I watched a Korean movie called Hope and it's one of the saddest movies I have ever seen that ends on a very high note. I did not know what to expect when I watched it. Wouldn't expect a movie about the rape and beating of an 8 year old to end up being so sweet.

TheFlow

Banned
La la land.

Will write a review on letterbox later but I liked it. Memorable theme and visuals are the highlights

Boogs31

I only saw 5 movies in theatres last month. I hope to see a few more than that in January.

1) Manchester by the Sea (10/10) - Really great, beautiful looking film. Terrific performances from the whole cast but especially Casey Affleck. His character is one of the more fleshed out characters I have seen in a long time.

2) La La Land (9.5/10) - Can't say anything other than Damien Chazelle is a masterful director. The opening scene is jaw dropping. Similar to Whiplash the ending is pitch perfect. His movies don't have happy endings, but they do a great job of connecting all the themes that were raised throughout to make it extremely satisfying.

3) Jackie (8.75/10) - Really solid flick. The shots that they recreated from actual footage were made to look like they came from the 60's and it was done extremely well. The soundtrack succeeded in trying to resemble the mood in the aftermath of a tragic event. Can't really think of any performances from a leading actress this year that can beat what Natalie Portman pulled off.

4) Star Wars Rogue One (8.5/10) - Got off to a sloppy start moving from location to location before you could even grasp the relevance of each spot. But once it found it's groove it was really great. Unlike most of the other Star Wars films this one actually felt like the stakes were high and that the obstacles the characters faced were legitimately challenging.

5) Fences (8/10) - The script is fantastic and the performances are as good as you would expect from the likes of Denzel Washington and Viola Davis. Couldn't help but think that given how dialogue heavy it was that it was better suited as a play. There were only 2 or 3 sets for the entire movie which sort of made it feel stale at times. I certainly get that Denzel didn't want to mess with the play too much but I felt it could've used a few alterations.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Sully. Great movie from an informative standpoint if accurate. Boring overall. Liked it because I found the subject interesting. I had no clue that in his trials by the NTSB and TSA, the board was basically trying to crucify him and were proved wrong. Again... if accurate.

TheFlow

Banned
Reading these reviews of la la land after making mine make me seem harsh. Some people are calling it the revival of film and ect. Oh no honey

La La Land 2016
★★★★
If Whiplash is a great movie then La La Land is a good movie. The visuals are stunning, theme is beautiful, and the characters are lovely. Yet something is kinda missing that keeps it from being a great movie. It doesn't hit you like previous greats do. It is more of a reminder, like a call back to the greats. La la land blends harsh reality with the romanticism of Hollywood and jazz for a lovely film. I am looking forward to seeing what Chazelle does next since he is clearly talented.

currently watching a marathon of Studio Ghilbi movies(got 4 days off of work)

have watched:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Laputa: Castle in the sky
Grave of the Fireless
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service

all in one day!

hoping to finish:

Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Sprited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales of Eathsea
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
The Secret World of Arrietty
From up on Poppy Hill
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
The Wind Rises
When Marnie was There

what are the must watches and the ones I can skip?(or put off to later?)

y'all can move Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's moving castle aa I love those movies

TheFlow

Banned

have watched:

Grave of the Fireless
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service

all in one day!

hoping to finish:

Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Sprited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales of Eathsea
From up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises
When Marnie was There

y'all can move Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's moving castle aa I love those movies
I watched a lot of those and gotta say kaguya should be saved for last

Timeaisis

Speaking of Ghibli, just watched Porco Rosso today on BD. What about underrated film. Just Miyazaki having fun, I think.

La La Land

Wow. This is an almost perfect film.
A dazzling and breathtaking tribute to classic films and hollywood culture, as well as a moving love story. I LOVED IT.

From cinematography that pays tribute to old film formats, to poppy art direction, the film is a visual treat that really shines on the big screen.
Wonderful music and fabulous dance choreography accompanies the picture, coupled with pitch perfect editing that elevates the story and emotions to a truly moving level.

I haven't been this absorbed by a film in a theatre for a very long time.

TheFlow

Banned
La La Land

A dazzling and breathtaking tribute to classic films and hollywood culture, as well as a moving love story. I LOVED IT.

From cinematography that pays tribute to old film formats, to poppy art direction, the film is a visual treat that really shines on the big screen.
Wonderful music and fabulous dance coreography accompanies the picture, coupled with pitch perfect editing that elevates the story and emotions to a truly moving level.

Go watch moonlight

Ridley327

Embrace of the Serpent: Absolutely stunning. There's so much to take in throughout, from all the different moods it invokes to its rich themes that arise from the dual narrative. It all feels so overwhelming, and yet there's so much precision in all that it sets out to do that it's impossible for me to believe that it could have been handled any other way. This is a truly tremendous work, and one that is going to haunt me for weeks to come.

Not gonna steal Ridley's thunder (not that I could anyway) but I was also really impressed with Embrace of the Serpent which I watched today. Its dual narrative is one of the best uses of flashback I've ever seen, each the murky river reflection of the other. It's got that hazy, uneasy feeling that permeated Apocalypse Now, and uses its own jungle and river as a metaphor for madness and self-determination in much the same way. It makes for a hallucinatory, but pretty powerful watch.

I also finally made it to The Return of the King extended edition in my trilogu rewatch. Thankfuly and surprisingly, I found it to be a significant step up from The Two Towers. The storylines all become much more focused and driven, and the film is littered with fantastic emotional payoffs that were dozens of hours in the making. It's not entirely fair to Two Towers since that was a middle chapter, and so much of the pay off of this one is built on groundwork that was laid down then, but I found almost all the storylines in this one much more engaging since it brought back some of the feeling of adventure of Fellowship as the characters are propelled into various fantastic setpieces rather than sort of meandering about as they did through much of the previous film. Return of the King isn't quite on the level of Fellowship still, as it still has its fair share of bloated, uneccessary, or silly moments, but all things considered it's a triumphant conclusion to this groundbreaking epic.

Gaz_RB

La La Land

Wonderful music and fabulous dance choreography accompanies the picture, coupled with pitch perfect editing that elevates the story and emotions to a truly moving level.

Word. And then the knock out punch at the end. Definitely my movie of 2016.

Toparaman

Banned
Arrival is really good. I was reluctant to see it because the trailer made it look cliche, but it was actually surprising. Has a strong emotional core too, and some interesting concepts.

I love that I've enjoyed a hard sci-fi film every year since 2013. Gravity, Interstellar, Ex Machina, and now Arrival. Maybe none of them are classics, but I enjoyed the hell out of all of them.

Also watched the beginning of Escape from New York. Hmm, this "Snake" character seems familiar...
But in all seriousness, he seems like a fucking badass, I like the premise, and looking forward to finishing the film.

Other than that, been slowly making my way through the MCU in order. Used to dislike superhero movies so never gave most of these a chance.

UrbanRats

have watched:

Grave of the Fireless
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service

all in one day!

hoping to finish:

Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso

Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Sprited Away

The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales of Eathsea

From up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises

When Marnie was There

Bolded are must watches.

In particular, Kaguya, Only Yesterday, Porco Rosso and Wind Rises.

BeeDog

Saw The Nice Guys with my partner yesterday, and I dug it. I don't think I've seen Gosling and Crowe in such compelling roles in a very long time, and lo and behold, a child actor that doesn't annoy the crap out of me! The dialogue and humor was solid but was never in danger due to Shane Black, and the action was surprisingly well-produced. Too bad this movie bombed last year, it deserves way better.

3) Jackie (8.75/10) - Really solid flick. The shots that they recreated from actual footage were made to look like they came from the 60's and it was done extremely well. The soundtrack succeeded in trying to resemble the mood in the aftermath of a tragic event. Can't really think of any performances from a leading actress this year that can beat what Natalie Portman pulled off.
Haven't seen Jackie yet but the best leading actress performances I have seen were Isabelle Huppert in Elle, Charo Santos-Concio in The Woman Who Left, and Amy Adams in Arrival. I'm guessing Viola Davis in Fences will be in contention, too.

Alright guys im all in on Madds Mikkelson, what are some of movies of his that I should watch?

1st 2 pusher movies (should see last as well, just no Madds in it)
Bleeder
The Hunt
Complete series of Hannibal
Valhalla Rising

Basically just watch everything hes been in

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

The third act is a letdown by the standards set from the previous acts, but holy moly. The first two acts of this movie aren't scary man, they are fucking scary.

Not gonna steal Ridley's thunder (not that I could anyway) but I was also really impressed with Embrace of the Serpent which I watched today. Its dual narrative is one of the best uses of flashback I've ever seen, each the murky river reflection of the other. It's got that hazy, uneasy feeling that permeated Apocalypse Now, and uses its own jungle and river as a metaphor for madness and self-determination in much the same way. It makes for a hallucinatory, but pretty powerful watch.

I also finally made it to The Return of the King extended edition in my trilogu rewatch. Thankfuly and surprisingly, I found it to be a significant step up from The Two Towers. The storylines all become much more focused and driven, and the film is littered with fantastic emotional payoffs that were dozens of hours in the making. It's not entirely fair to Two Towers since that was a middle chapter, and so much of the pay off of this one is built on groundwork that was laid down then, but I found almost all the storylines in this one much more engaging since it brought back some of the feeling of adventure of Fellowship as the characters are propelled into various fantastic setpieces rather than sort of meandering about as they did through much of the previous film. Return of the King isn't quite on the level of Fellowship still, as it still has its fair share of bloated, uneccessary, or silly moments, but all things considered it's a triumphant conclusion to this groundbreaking epic.

Plus RotK has Theoden's battle speech preceding the Ride of the Rohirrim, and it's one of the most heart-racing scenes in cinema. I almost want to jump out of my seat and run alongside them.

edit:

MangoMadness said:
I love that I've enjoyed a hard sci-fi film every year since 2013. Gravity, Interstellar, Ex Machina, and now Arrival. Maybe none of them are classics, but I enjoyed the hell out of all of them.

The Martian not on that list?

Divius

Put it in the OP but sharing in a new post as well: PSA: NeoGAF Movie of the Year voting thread will be up in approximately 2 weeks, to give people chance to catch up on missed releases and get their list ready.

Kazaam (who took over from CFK last year) will be running the thing again.

--

Seeing people get excited about Embrace of the Serpent makes me happy. I retroactively named it my possible MOTY for last year, but if people are counting it as a 2016 movie I might just list it again as well >:)

I also watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe and can only echo everyone's thoughts here. Great first half, mediocre to bad to terrible second half. 5/10
The Girl with All the Gifts - Interesting concept, I guess? Execution not that great though. Falls into cliches and tropes too quickly and too often. 5/10
Blair Witch - Silly jumpscares and stupid people. A forgettable but easy watch that will leave no impressions. 4/10
Gremlins - Twisted and hilarious, way darker than I remembered. Is the sequel worth a watch? 7/10
La La Land - Technical marvel, but maybe a bit too clinical? Still great. 8/10

TheFlow

Banned
I consider embrace the serpent and the lobster especially 2015 movies. So I can't put them on mine.

Man of principles

Divius

Yes, Gremlins 2 is worth watching. It's one of the nuttiest sequels ever.
Good to hear, thanks. Will give it a go!

Last time I saw the original I was still a young Divius, must've been the early 90s. I still remembered parts of it, so must've left an impression. Don't think I have ever seen the sequel.

Hey there! Decided to come and participate in the new year.

1. What's your favorite Movie?
Snatch / O Clockwork orange
2. Who's your favorite director?
Guy Ritchie
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
No one in particular at the moment. Maybe Tom Hardy
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Crime
5. What's your favorite performance in film?
Loved Hardy as Bronson in Bronson.

My letterboxd: http://letterboxd.com/Voltreffer/

FIrst view of 2017:

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
Liked it, simple but entertaining.

Hey everyone!

Figured I'd ask here instead of making a thread. I've been looking for a way to watch indie, classic, international type films, but non of the services I tried work in the holy land of Saudi Arabia. Was hoping for something like Hulu's Criterion... is there anything other than Netflix at this point? I'm not used to buying DVD's or Blurays, but some of the films that I feel I would enjoy watching are not available anywhere else.

TheFlow

Banned
Hey everyone!

Figured I'd ask here instead of making a thread. I've been looking for a way to watch indie, classic, international type films, but non of the services I tried work in the holy land of Saudi Arabia. Was hoping for something like Hulu's Criterion... is there anything other than Netflix at this point? I'm not used to buying DVD's or Blurays, but some of the films that I feel I would enjoy watching are not available anywhere else.

Filmstruck is worth the trial

Good to hear, thanks. Will give it a go!

Last time I saw the original I was still a young Divius, must've been the early 90s. I still remembered parts of it, so must've left an impression. Don't think I have ever seen the sequel.

When you've watched it, I have something to show you.

Hey everyone!

Mubi?
Fandor?
Maybe Filmstruck?

Unsure if any of those are available there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom