• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a huge crush on Greta Gerwig, I admit it. I can't remember the last thing I've seen her in I didn't love and I didn't love her in.

And I absolutely loved Maggie's Plan! I liked everything about it. I liked Ethan Hawke playing a different role to what I usually picture him as, I liked Julianne Moore playing a weird Danish academic. And I loved Gerwig doing what she does best, oddball, charming, eccentric, but so loveable. Not unlike this movie. I like Bill Balder not phoning it in for his role.

I love the way it looks, New York isn't a hard city to make look attractive I grant, but they do it very well, I love the script, I love the much more tender not comedic or romantic moments. Gosh, I just loved it. And you will too.

You should see Mistress America if you haven't already. She's also great in the new Todd Solondz film, Wiener-Dog.
wd.jpg

0.jpg

Michael Dudok de Wit's Red Turtle (IMDb) was amazing. Anyone see it yet? 80 minutes of his awesome art, expertly animated, co-produced by Studio Ghibli, fantastic soundtrack.. Feast for the ears and eyes. Dudok de Wit teaming up with Ghibli is like the dream team of Toriyama, Sakeguchi, Uematsu, Horii and Aoki for Chrono Trigger - a once in a lifetime moment. Unless they're going to do more projects, of course.

omg I want to see this
nkyYmie5S0u1EMqEb0el4vlnA2f.jpg

redturtle_poster_french.jpg

Blader

The Criterion OT always moves so slowly, so maybe I should ask here too:

Picking up Dr. Strangelove through B&N's Criterion sale this month, but need to get a second one to qualify for the free shipping. Here's what I've been debating over as my second pick:

On the Waterfront
Paths of Glory
The Thin Red Line
The War Room
The Red Shoes

I haven't seen the last two, but I'm the least inclined to get The War Room since it's streaming on Hulu for the time being. Quality of the movies aside, can anyone speak to the selection of extras on these? On the Waterfront looks stacked with supplements, but I'm also considering a Kubrick two-for-one with Paths, too.

ghostbusters_2016_by_digi_matrix-da9vj2h.jpg

Came back from seeing Ghostbusters with my kid cousins and parents. They loved it. Was a lot of fun. Great chemistry, good energy, lovely detailed production design (I'd go gaga for those props), fun moments, and lots of chuckles. Much like Love & Friendship, having a really dumb character (Chris Hemsworth) can make for the biggest laughs. Along with Civil War and Deadpool, these are the really good blockbusters of this year with a lot of heart and attention to detail. I'm not into sequels, more into singular stories, but would love where this goes under this creative team. Kate McKinnon is like a ball of eccentricity wanting to pop off in every frame she's in, and I loved her little gunkata thing. They really do a lot with some cool new gadgets. The special fx looked great and slimey. My dad thanked me for taking him to see a "beautiful film" and it kind of is with the lighting/smoke/colour palette thanks to DP Robert Yeoman and the team (who has shot Wes Anderson films and previous Feig films).

I don't know why some got offended that there's a poop joke here. It's like just one poop joke, one fart joke, and one crotch joke. They don't feel crass like some Jackass thing or even Bridesmaids. Also, the concern trolling about Leslie Jones' Patty being some sassy religious poor black woman stereotype was off-base as she's more rounded and that part is just one referential bit. I kind of loved how three of the four Ghostbusters are proper into science and let it shine through in different ways and there is no need for a typical slacker or cynical character to balance them.

Also, credits were fantastic and I find only comedies seem to care about them (Everybody Wants Some!! also had a great credit sequence).

Now want to see it another time and in 3D cause heard it's exceptional apparently.

UrbanRats

Stray Dogs (2013) - Move over Blue (is the warmest color), we have a new king of morbid, lingering shots.
If you don't mind seeing people sleep for 20 minutes, or are worried about your plasma TV getting burn in from a 15 minutes shot, it's a very hypnotic film, even some powerful moments, in its dry simplicity.

The Summer of Sangaile Sweet but mostly uneventful romantic films about young lesbians are quickly becoming my favorite genre.

Arthur Newman Emily Blunt and Colin Firth are great, but there are huge plot holes in this movie and it's sort of unforgivable given how simple the story is.

Two Step Modern noir that starts strong and then frustratingly abandons the protagonists to follow the crappy antagonist around.

My Old Lady Do people actually like Kevin Kline?

Still Life Beautifully shot film, and Eddie Marsan has slowly crept up to the top of my list of favorite living actors.

Also he looks like Hoggle:

Eddie-Marsan-and-Hoggle.jpg

Toothless

Saw one of my most anticipated movies of the summer tonight:

Despite what the industry trends may tell you, there will always be an audience for something new. Something bold. Yet sometimes people are afraid of the new. It's different, it's weird, why can't we just go see something safe instead? This epitomizes Swiss Army Man, a film that is the farthest thing from "safe" as possible. It's brilliantly creative, with constant twists and turns that allows its absolutely insane opening to just be the beginning of the lunacy.

Yes, it's funny. Heck, it's probably the funniest movie this viewer has seen this year. The script is littered with a few pop culture references that, thanks to their specificity, are absolutely delightful. Fart jokes are just the tip of the iceberg in crassness here. But the Daniels do something remarkable: by removing all the societal norms of what's okay to talk about and also actually having one of the film's main characters be deceased, they have made a film that feels more human than anything out there. It's a joyous time, sure to put on a smile on anyone's face if they're willing to buy into it. Manny (Daniel Radcliffe) is discovering the world for the first time with Hank (Paul Dano) as his imperfect tour guide, while we too are seeing the Daniels' vision of the world for the first time. Both the characters and the audience will feel an emotion rarely felt in cinema: Wonder.

But there's a serious message here, and one that needs to be heard. Manny may be innocent but Hank is not. Manny has never known our world, but Hank has lived in far too long. This reviewer won't name this theme outright just because it's revealed slowly within the film itself, but it adds quite a bit of meaning to the film that absolutely elevates it to the next level. It might force the climax to be a tad stretched out, but when you're spending time in this world, what reason do you have to complain?

Dano does an excellent job as the lead, but Radcliffe gives the best performance of the year so far as Manny. He is the main reason we feel the exuberance exploding from Manny and into Hank's life. The Daniels' direction and writing is also exquisite, delivering punches in feeling and huge laughs just on how they block the actors in a scene, or decide how long a shot must be held. Matthew Hannam's editing and Andy Hull and Robert McDowell's score should also be commended as they both add so much to what makes Swiss Army Man work.

Swiss Army Man shouldn't exist. No person could've heard this idea and thought it would work. We have to thank the Daniels for their vision and their producing team for taking a chance of Swiss Army Man. It is the most splendid of 2016 so far, mixing humor and emotion perfectly, while also delivering something no one else could've thought up. Swiss Army Man champions originality within in the film and in the film industry, and the Daniels are going to be forces for years to come after this. An unusual gem I will savor for years to come.

Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates

It took the movie a while to get me to laugh, but when the laughter came, it pretty much never stopped. It was worth it. And the lady playing the bride is a real cutie. Killed it in the massage scene

Jem and the Holograms

It was on TV, I watched it, I didn't hate it. But I didn't like it either. There is literally nothing memorable about this movie.

I looked it up to see how it fared in theaters. $5 million budget, and not even half that made back. It bombed so hard they pulled it from theaters. Has that ever happened before?

lordxar

Masked Avengers. Another brutal Shaw movie. This one is pretty cheesy in a lot of ways like the deaths are as fake acting as you get. The HD shows off plenty of bad teeth and glued on sideburns. However, the story was pretty cool if a bit confusing and the last battle was a motherfucker in terms of ass kicking so it was definitely a good one overall. I noticed on the last one and this one both were created in the 80's and both seemed to have that 80's cheese.

Roman Holiday: It's like when Princess Jasmine breaks out of the palace and meets Aladdin, except it lasts the whole movie and Aladdin is in on it. A nice way to show off what Rome has to offer and shows how hectic royal life can be and why we need to take a vacation sometimes.

Blader

Wrapping up my Shaw brothers marathon.

The Five Venoms
An apparently seminal classic of the genre, though I thought it was kind of lame. The story set-up is kind of interesting -- a dying kung fu master sends his last pupil to track down his five former proteges, each trained in a different animal (centipede, snake, scorpion, lizard, toad) style of fighting, because some have turned bad -- but the fights themselves are not especially good, and end up looking awkward because the actors have to adopt these ridiculous looking stances to pretend they're striking like a snake or like a scorpion, or whatever. I laughed at the opening sequence, when the teacher is describing how different each style is, yet they all seem to boil down to speed and agility. "Centipede is known for its speed and agility...snake is very quick, but also very agile...lizard specializes in speed, but also emphasizes agility."
2.5/5

Crippled Avengers
A step up from the previous Venoms movie. Certainly more ridiculous -- each of the main characters is maimed in some way (blinded, legs chopped off, rendered deaf and mute, brain damaged) by an evil warlord, and train themselves to use those disabilities to their advantage in fighting -- but the fights come off better for it. I also enjoyed seeing the venoms fight together as a unit than against each other as in the previous; made for more interesting choreography. You've gotta laugh at how uninterested these movies are in their own plot. Final lines:
"Did we get him?" "Yeah"
, immediately proceed to walk off stage, THE END.
3/5

Heroes of the East
The first half of this movie is a domestic married life romcom type thing, where a Chinese man and a Japanese woman marry but also constantly snipe at each other for their own martial arts styles. The second half of this movie is said Chinese man and a team of Japanese fighters (each specializing in their own style or weapon) fighting each other to defend their country's honor. The two halves don't go together very neatly at all. But the fights are quite good, and I liked the variety of them. I also liked the fact that, unlike a lot of China vs. Japan kung fu movies, this one doesn't demonize the Japanese or lean hard into Chinese nationalism; both sides come out of looking respectful of each other, in spite of the obvious statement that Chinese kung fu > any and all Japanese fighting styles. :lol
3.5/5

The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
Lau Kar-leung might be the king of kung fu fight choreography, and I think this ranks with Drunken Master II as some of his best work on that front. The pole fights in this movie are absolutely insane; they're fast, intense, elaborate and totally relentless. The opening sequence, the sister's fight in the hotel and the final battle are all standouts. Just really incredible stunt work. The overall production feels a lot more refined than the average Shaw bros movie (maybe because it came so much later than most of their films?) and the aesthetic reminds of me of Kurosawa's Kagemusha at times. And the story is actually pretty interesting, though a bit confusing since the political dynamics are never really clearly laid out (and Hulu's subs for this movie are unusually garbage). But what holds back the movie for me in a big way is how intensely unlikable the two brother lead characters are. As low as the bar is for acting in these movies, this one takes the cake with extreme and constant bouts of overacting. Virtually every one of Gordon Liu's lines is SCREAMED, and it gets really grating really quickly. The closest comparison I can think of is the princess in The Hidden Fortress. It's a shame, because if those two characters were not as annoyingly manic as they are, I think this would have rivaled with 36th Chamber of Shaolin for me. As is, I'll rank it just a notch below that one.
3.5/5

An-Det

Swiss Army Man I drove over an hour away to see this and I'm really glad I did. They fully committed some pretty dark weirdness.

I saw it last night and was impressed with that aspect of the movie. They went hard on the premise of "farting magic corpse" weirdness (in a good way), but I wasn't expecting the movie to be as dark as it turned out to be. Some weaker points in it, but pretty funny and endearing and totally worth the watch.

I loved Green Room, the director will definitely be on my radar from now on. Like his previous effort -Blue Ruin- they're both dark and raw and have a distinct style about them. I enjoyed them both, but I prefer Green Room. RIP Anton Yelchin..he really shined in this.

I recently rewatched Doubt (2008). I saw it when it first came out and didn't really care much for it. But wow, it turned out to be a solid movie with great acting across the board, it's one of Meryl's best later years' performances, but I won't say she "stole it" on her own, as all the four main actors delivered great performances.

Straight Outta Compton: Not normally the type of movie I'd watch, because I'm not into hip-hop, but it was decent. The movie jumped around too much, though, and glossed over important things, making it sometimes hard to follow along.

lordxar

Watched some more of the short films on the history of horror video.
Tit for Tat 1906 - Some weird ass thing about butterflies attacking some nature guy that was in color.

The Red Spectre 1907 - This was ok

The Sealed Room 1909 - Interesting tale of treachery and revenge

Frankenstein 1910 - Watch this one for the Frankenstein build scene

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 1912 - I loved this one in particular. Mr Hyde was well done I thought as a slathering beast of a man with pointy teeth and dark eyes.

Portrait 1915 - This one I thought was kind of freaky in a way. Dude buys a painting that steps out Ringu style. Bad thing is that only 8 minutes of it remains.

Caught these as well though their not on the list.
The Terrible Turkish Executioner 1904 - Executioner with a massive scimitar beheads four people whose heads make their way back to the bodies for revenge.

The Merry Frolics of Satan 1906 - A little bit of the Trip to the Moon sets in use but only for a short time. The dead carriage was awesome and so was a lot of the imagery in use.

Toothless

Ice Age is a Shrek rip-off without much charm. The actors give dull vocal performances, and the animation is outright terrible. The one saving grace is the last scene, which manages to say much more than the other seventy minutes in this blah film. Ice Age should be avoided at all costs, featuring unlikable characters and even more obnoxious aesthetics.

Probably the best argument of just because I have MoviePass and can see every movie in theaters, doesn't mean that I should. Will skip Collision Course.

I finally got around to watching Room. I was not disappointed, it's a phenomenal film. Brie Larsen and the kid did an amazing job, and the film is a constant emotional roller coaster. I wish I was in a slightly better mindset than I was when I watched it, but I'm still glad I did.

lordxar

The House of the Devil. Figured I'd watch something modern off that history of horror video and this was available. Pretty cool story over all. Very nice 80's throwback with the vintage tv, coke cups, etc. Took me back many moons! I liked this. It had a surprise death that was fucking brutal in execution. Loved it!

I loved Green Room, the director will definitely be on my radar from now on. Like his previous effort -Blue Ruin- they're both dark and raw and have a distinct style about them. I enjoyed them both, but I prefer Green Room. RIP Anton Yelchin..he really shined in this.
Saulnier was the main frontrunner to direct the Sicario sequel Soldado. That movie would have been crazy

T Dollarz

Holy shit, The Invitation was so intense! Loved it, was hooked from the beginning! Incredible writing and great performances all around. Where did this gem come from this director?! I watched
Girlfight
(her first feature) recently as prep, and it felt super amateur, although Michelle Rodriguez shined and it had some really strong moments. But Jennifer's Body was complete ass, and then this movie plays out like a damn symphony! Well done.

Edit: Also I'm gonna disagree with you big time Toothless, I thought Ice Age was a super well crafted fun kids adventure movie, and I loved the voicework. Just wish there weren't a ton of garbage sequels to taint it's memory.

Wish I could see Green Room again for the first time, that was a fantastic theater experience.

Got around to 10 Cloverfield Lane. John Goodman really sold menacing/unbalanced, while Mary Elizabeth Winstead is always appealing and a solid actress. Was spoiled on some elements but the experience still granted quite a few surprises.

Also, Norwegian monster flick Ragnarok on Netflix. Somewhat family friendly, not much of a budget but competent acting. And bonus, now I know how to pronounce such things as the name Ragnhild.

Meliora

The Legend of Tarzan It wasn't that good. It was boring and the animals looked weird, especially the leopard was off.

Toothless

Saw the big release of the weekend:

Ghostbusters works as a remake, mostly because it's pretty much exactly on par with the first movie. They're both relatively fun paranormal comedies with a couple of standout performances that are pretty forgettable overall. This go-around, Kate McKinnon and Chris Hemsworth steal the show, constantly giving laughs in their profound silliness. McKinnon also gets a few chances to be really cool as a role model for kids watching it, and she captures the scientific venture aspect of Ghostbusters perfectly. Everything else just hits the "alright" scale with a few laughs here and there, either for the other members of the Ghostbusters, Cicily Strong, or the cameos that pop up here and there. The biggest disappointment belongs to Neil Casey's villain, who is outright forgettable and often annoying when he's on screen. It's a decent time at the theater where one wouldn't mind a sequel to the blockbuster, but if it's one-off, that's fine too. Ghostbusters is fun as a summer movie, but ultimately won't leave much of an impression in moviegoers' minds.

iuxion

The Wailing

Managed to see this one before it leaves theaters. The movie is about a small town where a series of murders take place, each committed by a different person who seems to have been afflicted by a strange, zombie-like disease. The only horror movie I have seen in the last few years is It Follows, so I can't comment on how The Wailing stacks up to other recent films in the genre, but I found the experience to be both engrossing and delightfully unsettling. The movie is beautifully directed and acted. That said, the ending is a little too ambiguous for my tastes. Although there seems to be only one viable interpretation of what took place, the viewer is tasked with putting everything together themselves based on small details that give us only a hint of a much larger backstory. Wouldn't mind discussing details with others if anyone else has seen the movie.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Ghost in the Shell: 7/10. It's anime so it starts at minus a million points but it made it back up to plus seven. Won't lie there were a few beautifully animated shots. A lot of great sci-fi ideas in this, though the whole time I kind of just wished it was live action. And then after I rated it I saw they're making a live action version. And then I wished I kept my mouth shut.
Tombstone: 5/10. Hey guys let's make a western but throw out everything that defines the genre and just make it a blockbuster. Just really stupid and also the only female character is a conniving slut. All the points are for Val Kilmer who I didn't know could actually play a character.
Walk Hard: 6/10. I watched the director's cut which was a mistake, it was way too long. Hit and miss but I don't know what was added and what wasn't. The derivative music was legit good.

I remember trying to watch Tombstone when I went with my dad to visit family members eight hours away. I either turned it off because it sucked too much or it put me to sleep. I was only about 13.

daydream

Banned
Sing Street: Sentimental and derivative, 'Sing Street' does not concern itself with more than the surface of its tale which it is busy smoothing out every step of the way while ultimately capturing neither the lows of an adolescence marked by oppression and lack of prospect nor the highs of setting free the explosive potential of art, let alone any ambivalence found in-between. As such, it hurries from one tired cliché to the next, leaving behind a trail of faint character sketches and blind motifs, culminating in self-certainty of having created something authentic as if, in fact, all you needed was the sincere wish to do so.

Sing Street: The word "crowd pleaser" was made for movies like these. A lovely ode to adolescent phases where your interests seem to change every day. A wonderful cast of kids and catchy soundtrack makes it easy to forgive how polished some of these songs are for a ragtag group of kids. Its so charming it almost makes me forgive John Carney for "Begin Again", one of the biggest modern abominations of the "quirky white 20 somethings find themselves in NY" genre.

Walk Hard: 6/10. I watched the director's cut which was a mistake, it was way too long. Hit and miss but I don't know what was added and what wasn't. The derivative music was legit good.

Just watched the theatrical cut because I heard the director's was bloated. Thought it was pretty funny and the songs were great. Lil' Nutzzak's remix was amazing. Most songs appear as full tracks on the blu-ray extras.

Begin Again is great you heathen.

I just watched Stockholm Pennsylvania and it wasn't bad, just felt like it could have been a lot better. Saoirse Ronan carries the whole thing for sure. Cynthia Nixon plays a decent psycho mum. Its very oppressive and claustrophobic feeling, which is obviously the intention, but it never goes anywhere or does anything with it, and the story is pretty bleh specially at the end. Needed more, but not that bad.

lordxar

Slacker. Ron Paul for pres on a semi trailer lol. That guy has been trying for far too long. I still say Clerks is better. I love the concept but the amount of assholes rambling on about ants, existence, jfk, anarchy, conspiracies and whatever other dumb shit is nuts. The amount of dialog wasn't an issue just that it was almost all weird and annoying bullshit. Towards the end you kind of get a reprieve with the camcorder stuff but it's too damn late. I can definitely see the influence on Clerks and I'm glad I watched this but that is such a different film that throws more comedy out there and definitely knows when to cut the shit and give the audience a break where this one is unrelenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom