• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| June 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how I keep perspective. X Mans, Warcraft, Independence Day, Batman bin Suparman: Even More Edition. These movies help me draw the line and say "NO. BLOCKBUSTERS CAN BE GOOD. THESE ARE NOT THAT."

Nah, I stop short of live action Disney pap, even the ones that seem to get a good response. Not sure why.

Heh I kinda like BvS turbo edition and Warcraft tbh. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend them but I enjoyed both for what they were. This is gonna sound like a load of shit but honestly with the 5 superhero movies we get a year we need somebody like Snyder to make a "all your heroes are shit watch me break them" movie to throw ppl for a loop every now and then. I welcome the big shift in approach that he brings to this. I just wish he made better movies though lol. They're great on paper and look amazing but are never really more than decent as a whole (and that's just being too flattering to his filmography even)

The new Tarzan isn't really a live action Disney movie though but still with David Yates behind it it's bound to be generic as hell. He churned out the most boring Harry Potter movies.

Bourne will likely be the best blockbuster of the summer but I don't wanna jinx it

Speaking of things that sound good on paper. BFG man. Spielberg, Rylance and the ET screenwriter. Damn shame I have little interest in watching it after seeing those ugly ass giants. Yikes. Nothing about the movie looks appealing whatsoever :(

^^ holy shit...get in here and post more. You will feel better and it won't be a deluge once crirical mass is reached. :) Also, dammit, now I want to watch Mary Poppins. Haven't watched that since I was a kid but I loved it and sing alongs are usually not my thing.

I still need to dump 20+ movies in here. Youregonnaloveme.gif

lordxar

I still need to dump 20+ movies in here. Youregonnaloveme.gif

giphy.gif

My favorite tidbit from Herzog's documentary "My Best Friend" was during the filming of Fitzcarraldo, one of the native chiefs in all seriousness offered to kill Kinski for him, cuz he was such a fuckin' headache during production. Herzog said no because he needed him to finish the movie.

lol that's probably what I was thinking of

lordxar

The Assassin. First and foremost this movie is fucking ridiculously gorgeous. It really reminds me of Crimson Peak and the Grand Budapest Hotel in the visuals. Holy shit this looked absolutely stunning. Wish I'd have watched it on my better tv but whatever. The costumes and sets were jaw dropping to look at. Whoever did all that was damn good at their job.

The story was interesting in how it unfolded. I'm still not sure I totally get what happened. I mean I know the basic story but some odd things that I can only blame the language barrier or maybe I'm just ignorant in the history and customs of China. There was a smoke monster from some paper doll dude who I know was trying to kill someone blah blah but it seemed weird because most of the rest of the movie was grounded. The credits rolled to bagpipes which I assumed were Scottish only. There was some political intrigue that didn't make much sense. I know their king type guy was trying to stay out of war but it seemed a bit rough here. Things didn't fall into place for me but I went with it. Some guy gets tossed out on his ass for saying something. Some group wants to kill him because another guy got buried alive. I don't know. The story is still murky to me in some ways that don't really matter.

Time to bitch. Who in the hell puts out a 4:3 movie these days and why? Grand Budapest did the same shit which sucked. I mean at least Grand Budapest had some widescreen shots and kind of sort of made some bit of sense about it. The Assassin flat out made bad choices. At first, it's B&W 4:3 for no reason, which looked stunning too and I could have watched the whole thing in B&W but once the color showed up, holy shit. Still made the B&W seem stupid though. So the movie goes on in 4:3 but out of the blue shows some chick playing a guitar thing in super grainy widescreen. Back to 4:3 back to grainy wide...it was stupid. Pick a damn color and a format and stick with it. Thankfully after about 20 minutes that was over and it stuck to color 4:3 throughout.

My next complaint is the run time. The movie was slow as it was which I didn't mind in this so much but the long lingering shots were too much. Shave off each one of those and you can probably drop 20 minutes out of this easily. I know some are there for effect but they honestly were kind of a waste of time.

Overall I actually enjoyed this quite a bit. Not worth watching again except to maybe show off a tv but worth a watch at least once.

Toothless

Rewatched Finding Dory earlier today for work. Still enjoyed it, but maybe a bit less this go-around. Also:

Central Intelligence is a fun action-comedy that gets only half of it right. The comedy is on point, being either uproariously hysterical or just really enjoyable to watch. The action, however, is an incoherent mess despite some creative ideas being utilized in said fights. This is probably thanks to the PG-13 rating, and one has to wonder why in the age of R-rated comedies that this is PG-13. It doesn't need the vulgarity for humor, but if the action was shot with a more steady hand, then the humor utilized within the action would be maximized. The Rock and Kevin Hart make a great pair, and consistently one-up each other in the humor. Thurber shoots the film like a USA procedural though, and it lacks any cinematic identity because of it. Central Intelligence is funny and features two strong comedic lead performances, but ultimately doesn't reach its ultimate potential thanks to a lack of boldness in the filmmaking.

Window

Everest: The ettempts at the kiwi eccent were interesting I gess. Given the material I think this could have been something special but ends up being merely acceptable.
Rob's death hit me real hard though. His wife's voice whispering out of the radio into the cold blowing wind with total stillness and silence from Rob...:(
. What a cast though (but why was Worthington's character present in the story at all?).

HMD

The Witch is not an entertaining movie, and that's not necessarily a criticism. It's a very slow movie. But if you're looking to watch something on a slow day, watch this.

Bamboo

Pick a damn color and a format and stick with it. Thankfully after about 20 minutes that was over and it stuck to color 4:3 throughout.
Why do you care all that much about them changing. Why is it so irritating to you? I mean it's not as if the film becomes unwatchable because of (lack of) color or the edge of the screen. And the cinematography of Grand Budapest ist fantastic! I mean, it doubles the architecture of the era it portrays with all the high ceilings. It's way more vertical than it is wide. If it doesn't fit you flatscreen TV - who cares. That's not what the film is about.

Rewatched Finding Dory earlier today for work. Still enjoyed it, but maybe a bit less this go-around.
What kind of work makes you watch Finding Dory twice?

I recently saw High Rise and though while interesting in some part, the film aims way too high. All the crazy sety, crazy characters, meticulously arranged sets and costumes, the annoyingly exaggerated sounds - they become dull since it's all very expectably overstrained for the whole film. The problems in timing (esp the multiple moral decay montages) and overall length didn't add to my enjoyment. That Portishead ABBA cover is fantastic though!

Damsels In Distress was really, really funny. Funny to the extent I'm surprised to see it only has a 1/5 rating on netflix. Granted, I can see why it might annoy some people, either you're gonna get on board with it at some point early or not, and I imagine some people might find these characters annoying, but I was on board, I laughed myself silly. I liked the characters, the humour, the dancing, you name it. Highly recommended

'You're not from London. Yes I am, I went to London, and came back. I am from London.'

UrbanRats

Heh I kinda like BvS turbo edition and Warcraft tbh. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend them but I enjoyed both for what they were. This is gonna sound like a load of shit but honestly with the 5 superhero movies we get a year we need somebody like Snyder to make a "all your heroes are shit watch me break them" movie to throw ppl for a loop every now and then. I welcome the big shift in approach that he brings to this. I just wish he made better movies though lol. They're great on paper and look amazing but are never really more than decent as a whole (and that's just being too flattering to his filmography even)
As I said in the last page, I'm with you on this.
In theory, the gritty take on supes and Batman is interesting to me, and it can be done right (see Nolan) just probably not by Snyder, but at least I appreciate him not trying to just jump on the colorful Marvel train, just because it's working for them.
Not that there's anything wrong with colorful cape movies, but I think both ends of the spectrum have something entertaining to offer.
It's not like we haven't seen colorful superhero movies fail spectacularly in the past, anyway.

That said, I also find the idea of Superman fascinating as a demigod, so I'm not really interested in other stuff like Suicide Squad and all that.

VLiberty

Maaan Lucky Number Slevin is so good. Watched it yesterday and it's one of the movies I've enjoyed the most in a while.

Wait Finding Dory is already out somewhere in the world? Is it any good? I've lost a bit of faith in Pixar, especially after The Good Dinosaur

Maaan Lucky Number Slevin is so good. Watched it yesterday and it's one of the movies I've enjoyed the most in a while.

Wait Finding Dory is already out somewhere in the world? Is it any good? I've lost a bit of faith in Pixar, especially after The Good Dinosaur

Been out in the US a few weeks already./

TheFlow

Banned
How to be single

If you liked mistress America you will probably like this.

Grimsby
one of the worst movies of 2016

lordxar

Why do you care all that much about them changing. Why is it so irritating to you? I mean it's not as if the film becomes unwatchable because of (lack of) color or the edge of the screen. And the cinematography of Grand Budapest ist fantastic! I mean, it doubles the architecture of the era it portrays with all the high ceilings. It's way more vertical than it is wide. If it doesn't fit you flatscreen TV - who cares. That's not what the film is about.

For that matter why not stick with old b&w silent films in 320x240 window on a crt? I don't mind using differences for artistic value but this movie had no artistic value in them. Like typically b&w is used at the beginning to show an older time period. The beginning of this was like last week. So any actual merit that offered was lost. Now this could have stayed b&w because it did look great but the value of its use was pointless in the way it was used.

Then the 4:3 format was a complete waste on such a beautiful looking movie. I kind of get why Grand Budapest did that, still don't care for it because it's chopping out a piece of the picture I want to see but it was at least consistent in the use. This was 99.9% 4:3 with a couple random ass shots of a chick plucking a guitar like that was some key experience we had to see the full breadth of but the rest of the film was only worth seeing 85% of or whatever.

I'm old and grumpy so there lol.

Blader

Scarface
Rewatch. Better than I remembered. Actually, a lot funnier than I remembered. I had also never known (or at least completely forgotten) that Giorgio Moroder did the score. Still really much too long, though.
3.5/5

swoon

For that matter why not stick with old b&w silent films in 320x240 window on a crt? I don't mind using differences for artistic value but this movie had no artistic value in them. Like typically b&w is used at the beginning to show an older time period. The beginning of this was like last week. So any actual merit that offered was lost. Now this could have stayed b&w because it did look great but the value of its use was pointless in the way it was used.

Then the 4:3 format was a complete waste on such a beautiful looking movie. I kind of get why Grand Budapest did that, still don't care for it because it's chopping out a piece of the picture I want to see but it was at least consistent in the use. This was 99.9% 4:3 with a couple random ass shots of a chick plucking a guitar like that was some key experience we had to see the full breadth of but the rest of the film was only worth seeing 85% of or whatever.

I'm old and grumpy so there lol.

i think he chose the aspect ratio because it it's better for portraits. it's a love story, after all. and it's not a waste, it is the medium and it conveys different information and intent than if it was yet another widescreen film.

and black and white is used to mean a lot more than "old"

lordxar

i think he chose the aspect ratio because it it's better for portraits. it's a love story, after all. and it's not a waste, it is the medium and it conveys different information and intent than if it was yet another widescreen film.

and black and white is used to mean a lot more than "old"

Which was all lost on me unfortunately because the love story never materialized. I could see potential but
what I got was that it was supposed to be an arranged marriage between two cousins to save their empire. That I saw, she never once reacted in any way towards her cousin that resembled a past relationship existed which might be something in their customs, some of this was hazy. I don't feel anything was left out or poorly explained it just wasn't conveyed properly if that was the intent. What I got was that she was sent off to become some badass killing machine that ended up having a conscience towards fathers. In the end she told her master she decided to let him live but it was because of his kids not that she loved him which could have been a lie but nothing indicated otherwise. Plus she was matter of fact about things and didn't seem like she hid much.

So I have three films I could potentially watch tonight:

Green Room
Demolition
American Ultra

I'm leaning towards Green Room. Has anyone seen it? Any good?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm in Canada, is there no cheaper way to rent a movie online than iTunes? I don't feel like paying $7 to watch The Witch...

Ridley327

Extraordinary Tales: It is an anthology, so I would normally break it down story by story in greater detail, but I do want to address what turned out to be shared weakeness among the segments: a surplus of artists combined with a deficit of animators and some very unfortunate truncation decisions. The director seemed like he had a pretty high opinion of himself, too, since there's a baffling decision to do credits for each of the segments and he shows up more often without the benefit of crediting more of the hardworking team members, outside of the composers, producers and whoever happens to be narrating that segment. It stops being short of being a full-on vanity project with some good visual realizations for a couple of the stories, so a little more about those:

The wraparounds: You know what they're going for with these bits, but man do these suck. The pop psychological banter between Poe (manifested as, what else, a raven) and Death as she takes the guise of the various women in Poe's life (real and fictional). There's only so many times you can hear a woman snore out her lines and hearing Poe whine about being remembered, and looking at all kinds of animation errors, like Poe's eyes clipping into the inside of his beak or about 500 different perspective errors whenever Poe moves to another object to perch upon. Bad bad stuff.

The Fall of the House of Usher: If you ever wanted a reason why you shouldn't try to tell this story in 15 minutes or less, here you go! Aside from that, there's a neat wooden aesthetic at play here that looks nice, but there's a directorial decision that plants the whole fissure symbolism all over the house and in places where I don't even think it makes any architectural sense, making you wonder if it just survived a kaiju attack than being sufficiently crept out by the ruined decor. In one of his final roles, Christopher Lee provides the narration with his trademark gravitas and authority, which makes me really want an entire reading made available, if such a thing exists.

The Tell-Tale Heart: Here's a neat trick: combining an art style drawing from the works of Alberto Breccia and sourcing a live radio reading of the story that Bela Lugosi, this story is the odd man out and all the better for it. The stark black and white visuals, often feeling reversed, are unsettling and there's a level of stillness to how the visuals are portrayed that avoids the animation issues of the other segments. The biggest shame was that there wasn't a higher fidelity recording available for Lugosi's reading, as it's noticeably beat up, but you can tell how much he's throwing himself into it, as it's the liveliest reading of the whole lot. I feel like this is the best overall depiction of the ones in this film, and the one that I think best overcame the issues with the truncation.

The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar: Probably my favorite one of the stories here from a visual standpoint, thanks to the faithful recreation of an EC Comics aesthetic which fits this tale perfectly. That being said, it is strange that for as much as it tries to resemble an old horror comic that it winds up feeling really neutered with having as little gore as humanly possible, making me wonder if the filmmakers tried to sell this to a kids market initially. A strange fate for one of Poe's most graphic tales, compounded by it already being one of Poe's most seldom adapted works out there. Julian Sands does a fine job narrating this one, but this one felt really frustrating for me because of how much it gets right and how much it still had to go to be truly great.

The Pit and the Pendulum: This has always been one of if not the most difficult of Poe's tales to adapt faithfully, thanks to how deeply internal the narration plays out, and this adaptation fared no better than others. The most realistic one in terms of visual depiction, it winds up being a pretty poor decision as it's the one segment aside from the wraparound that exposes the budget deficiencies, which renders the film looking like a pitch video for a Dark Souls clone on Kickstarter. Even more disappointing is Guillermo Del Toro's reading, who sounds about as interested in reading it as he would a shopping list for groceries. I might be a bit kinder on this just because of how tough it is to do this tale right, and it's not even half as bad as the wraparounds, but it's a fairly poor effort all around.

The Masque of the Red Death: Change of plans! Outside of two lines of dialogue, one of which is delivered by a man with a more than passing familiarity with Poe's works as film adaptations, this silent take on the story boasts a rather effective art style and also is a bit braver in terms of on-screen depiction as it doesn't leave a whole lot to the imagination as to what actually happens during the revelry at Prospero's palace. It's a pretty gutsy gamble to strip the words out of one of Poe's most beautifully descriptive works, but it does work pretty well as it largely sticks to the party. Of course, without much dialogue, there's also not much context, and it's kind of a big deal that it's established early on as to what's happening outside the castle walls in order to make the story's big twist work at all, and the segment really doesn't try to handle that at all. It's unsatisfying from a narrative standpoint to anyone that's not already familiar with the story, so it's hard to recommend to anyone fresh to the story.

Overall: It's an anthology plagued by a lot of could have/would have/should have in the production and adaptation departments, but outside of the wraparounds, I don't think I could really bring myself to actively dislike it, as it was nice to see some interesting visual recreations of these tales. It might be a "bad Poe is better than no Poe" mentality at play here, but I do think there is a fair bit of merit to how these tales were approached, even as they didn't go as far as they could have. Why the brief runtime, I could only attribute to budget deficiencies, but I would not mind seeing the filmmakers get another crack at Poe with a different set of tales (plenty out there!) and not be as constrained as they were here.

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos - Finished up Brotherhood and checked this out. As far as anime series movies go, it's not so bad. It's more violent than the series by quite a large margin and the story is interesting enough. But holy hell is the animation a let down. Did Bones use their D team or something? All the characters just look off. Not great, not terrible. 6/10

Tickled - Don't really want to spoil much on this one but it's a real good doc on a very unusual thing. Should be on HBO in the coming future. 7/10

daydream

Banned
The Neon Demon: Perhaps Refn's most complex film, yet, and a triumph of style. There's not much new here in terms of themes and the influences at play are not particularly difficult to discern (Lynch, giallo, etc.). The film overcomes initial difficulties involving some trite exposition and blooms (or fractures) into something pulsatingly powerful before too long while mise-en-scene and motivic structure reign supreme, the latter being admittedly literal on the whole but with fantastic conviction, a healthy amount of ambivalence and the audiovisual material to back it up.

So, uh, where's the July thread?

Anyway, The Wrestler and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford are among the best films I've seen.

The Ultimate Cut of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is much better than the theatrical cut. I rate it a 9/10 purely based on my enjoyment of watching it. It is still a flawed film, however, and I think that those who hate the theatrical version won't probably have their mind changed for this version.

Toothless

What kind of work makes you watch Finding Dory twice?

I work at a day camp as a counselor for grades 6-8, and we go on a field trip every week. Yesterday we went on our field trip to the movie theater and I watched them while watching Finding Dory with them. I had already seen it on opening weekend because, well, I like Pixar movies (see my avatar) and I correctly assumed viewing it with 60+ children from ages 5-13 would not be the ideal way to enjoy it the first go-around. They're noisy and I had to shush them a lot. Also, I had to open like twelve fruit snack packets throughout the entire movie for them lol. Still, it's cool I got to watch a movie on the clock (and I did get paid for those wonderfully easy two hours of work).

Anyway, technically July, but anyway... Ghostbusters is often considered a comedy classic thanks to its unique premise and strong cast, but unfortunately, it simply lacks energy. The humor comes in short bits and only Ramis and Moranis are consistently funny. Murray leads the film relatively strongly, but he's much funnier in other films. The action scenes are alright, but the effects seem dated even for 1984. The chemistry of everyone is what makes it really work, but sadly, there aren't enough scenes where they're all together. Ghostbusters is the definition of a mixed bag, being a fun movie at points, but also a dull affair at others.

GhaleonEB

After a very busy 2015, I made it a goal to watch a lot more films in theaters this year. The list isn't long, but it feels like more than it was. (I did re-watch Zootopia a few times.) Mid year report card, grading from A-F (no - or + , to keep it simple). In the order I saw them:

• The Revenant: B
  • The Witch: A
  • Deadpool: B
  • Zootopia: A+
  • Gods of Egypt: D
  • 10 Cloverfield Lane: A
  • Batman v Superman: F
  • Hardcore Henry: B
  • The Jungle Book: B
  • Captain America: Civil War: B
  • The Nice Guys: B
  • Warcraft: C
  • Independence Day: Resurgence: C
  • The Shallows: B
The year started strong. I loved the slow burn horror in The Witch, and how the authentic period setting enhanced it. A really unique film. The Revenant was beautiful but ultimately hollow.

Zootopia has become my favorite animated film since The Incredibles. I fell in love with that world, the characters, the animation. It has several of my favorite scenes so far this year, including Judy's apology. Spoilerz! (Watch her facial animation and how they use light and shadow throughout.) I'm tagging it with an A+ to denote it as my favorite film of the year, so far.

I fucking hated BvS. It had some qualities; I liked Affleck's take on Batman, it had a great Alfred and some good imagery. I thought Wonder Woman was fun. But holy hell did I hate watching that movie. It's a miserable, muddled, self-important, convoluted, often baffling slog of a picture. The worst theatrical experience I've ever had with a film. A handful of qualities didn't make it any more enjoyable; there's not a 5-minute stretch of it I ever want to see again.

Gods of Egypt is a bad film. A very bad film. But it's at least coherent, the characters are at least trying to have fun, and it's got just enough self-awareness to warrant a recommendation, because it's deep into so bad it becomes entertaining territory; it's schlock on a scale we rarely get to see it.

The films trapped in B-land (aside from The Revenant) were solid popcorn flicks that did what they set out to do, without really elevating their material. Warcraft and ID: Resurgence were not good popcorn flicks, but they had enough qualities that they were not dreadful either; highly flawed and disappointing, but there was some fun to be had.

I just got out of The Shallows, which was a solid first two acts and then went off the rails, unfortunately, in the third. Still, it knew not to overstay its welcome and was a fun watch.

BFG next week, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom