• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laputa_94

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Rewatch)

bppSrvOl.jpg

kJ8SxQHl.jpg

jT6R06Yl.jpg

Like I said previously I have no complaints with these films overall. With The Two Towers my only issues come from differences with the book, these include some stuff with Faramir and The Ents. I understand the changes are meant to make the movie flow better, but it still bugs me.

Stevens and Monroe are great, true. But the Carpenter comparisons are exactly what turned me off. The similarities to Carpenter go about as deep as the credits font: they are purely surface level. The synth score is bumbling and brash and calls attention to itself rather than being actually composed like Carpenter's multiple classics--same goes for the images. Wingard has zero of Carpenter's formal control or stylistic restraint, the film is neon and loud and full of unnecessary tracks and pans. Carpenter's images are precise and no-bullshit, they are designed without begging to be screen captured and tweeted with #OnePerfectShot.

The soundtrack is less Carpenter than the sound-design itself, that is straight up Carpenter. And the first hour of the movie is as restrained as most JC movies. That sort of unbalanced shift is something he had great control and The Guest tries to emulate it.

Finally finished Whiplash. Really solid movie. I like Miles Teller a lot, and he did a phenomenal job with the drums. J.K. Simmons was fantastic, too.

MikeMyers

Sing Street (John Carney, 2016)

I could predict all the plot developments, but I did like the look into European culture and the music that was used for the film.

Mirrintu

Neo Member
You're Next? That is indeed a good one, I'm mixed on Wingard-Barrett's follow-up* The Guest but people generally liked it a lot. Worth a rental

Oops! Fixed it now thanks lol. I saw a trailer for the Guest, but for some reason it didn't grab me. Maybe I'll give it a shot, I am a fan of the genre so I'll likely end up watching eventually anyway.

I was promoted to see what other movies he directed and saw that he is working on an adaptation for Death Note? I can't find much more information on it, but that would certainly be interesting!

lordxar

Once. I liked Begin Again much better. This was definitely an indie film. It was enjoyable but melancholy. The other was much happier. Not much of a story and mostly music oriented but like Begin Again the music fit with what was going on. Not bad overall.

Would you forgive me if I die?
heaven_knows_what_shooting_up_by_digi_matrix-da2dm3v.png

Heaven Knows What is just the right kind of feelbad semi-autobiographical movie about being a homeless heroine addict in an abusive relationship. Much like Time Out Of Mind, it doesn't really care about painting homeless people in just a positive light. They'll use the money gotten through begging on alcohol and drugs. At one point, the soundtrack has some 70s sci fi horror vibes (thanks to Isao Tomita). None of the characters in this film are particularly likable but in a way, which actually lends to the cinema verite kind of authenticity. It's still infuriating to watch Harley (Arielle Holmes) go through all this, especially every scene with Ilya (the on/off abusive boyfriend played by Caleb Landry Jones).

If Aronofsky saw this, even he'd say it's dirty.

Makes me want to watch more Cassavetes.

Laputa_94

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Rewatch)

LOTR_Rivendel14.jpg

LOTR%20-%20The%20Return%20of%20the%20King%20375.jpg

the-lord-of-the-rings-the-return-of-the-king-5.jpg

Since the movies are fresh in my mind I figured I would rank them since I haven't really put much thought into it before.

1. Fellowship
2. Return of the King
3. The Two Towers

All are great in their own right, but Fellowship is special for some reason. I guess since its my initial introduction to middle earth idk.

I'm such a sucker for these movies I get emotional when it comes to being invested in good movies but LOTR is strong when it comes to this I tear up constantly in these movies.

Also here is one of my personal favorite scenes from Return of the King. It is when Gandalf talks to Pippen about what it is like to experience death. I love this scene.
Enjoy

Munti

Omg I just watched the Argentinian movie The Secret In Their Eyes last night (with german dub). This movie was such a pleasure to watch! It's a mix of thriller and love story.

Article%20Lead%20-%20wide997789846gi2450image.related.articleLeadwide.729x410.gi23km.png1435725772322.jpg-620x349.jpg

The story is very interesting, but the main attraction were the characters. They were so lovelable.
And oh boy, the ending totally shocked me. My feelings weren't sure how they should react.

Another highlight is the camera work. This movie looks so great. I mean, look at this freaking scene! I have no idea how they did this, but it looks awesome.

It apparently won an oscar (and hollywood did a remake) and I can recommend it :)

I rewatched Chef yesterday. Which was the first movie I saw on my unlimited cinema pass, either that or Cold In July, I forget. Still a good movie, Real solid performance from the entire cast. Its trite, predictable, basically fluff, but its very enjoyable, shot well, looks nice, and made me hungry. Interesting cameos from RDJ and Scar Jo as well.

But more importantly, I saw Green Room! Which is the best movie I've seen all year by a country mile and you need to go see it right now. Fantastic performances, sickening violence though never gratuitous, tension that'll have you on the edge of your seat, and a narrative that strips down the typical siege movie, and a pitch black sense of humour. Highly recommended.

Blader

Okay dudes, I have about two hours to kill between work and drinks today and the only movie that looks to fit into that slot is The Jungle Book. I haven't been hyped about seeing it or anything (and barely remember the Disney animated movie) but the reviews have been pretty good. What say you -- yay or nay?

Okay dudes, I have about two hours to kill between work and drinks today and the only movie that looks to fit into that slot is The Jungle Book. I haven't been hyped about seeing it or anything (and barely remember the Disney animated movie) but the reviews have been pretty good. What say you -- yay or nay?

I say meh. It's decent but instantly forgettable. Any other options?

obin_gam

The Jungle Book
This was way better than I thought it would be.
I am now in favor of a remake of The Lion King in the same style :)

Toothless

Men in Black is a pretty enjoyable blockbuster. Obviously with dated effects at points, it thrives thanks to wonderful chemistry between Smith and Jones. The plot is intriguing enough, and the jokes still hit pretty well. D'Onorfio does some really great physical comedy in this as well, and it has a really lovely world built within less than two hours. The ending is a bit tacked-on, but otherwise, it's really fun. Men in Black is definitely worth checking out, being a weird blockbuster that you really don't see much of anymore.

Apt101

I watched some horror movies late the past few nights.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Really artsy, dreamy movie. Some beautiful shots and scenes, lots of scenes that work strongly to various songs playing in the background. It's all in Persian with who I assume are Persian actors. Haunting at times. Not too deep or shocking, but it's the most original take on vampires that I've seen. Fantastic leads. Just an aside, it has who may be the most beautiful actress I've seen in years during a party scene. I gave it 4 stars on Netflix.

They Look Like People
This turned out to be a thriller and a surprisingly fun examination of mental illness. All of the actors turn in great performances. I gave it 4 stars on Netflix.

Anguish (2015)
Supernatural thriller; a ghost story. A great young lead actress, well shot, entertaining but a bit of a shallow story. I gave it 3 stars on Netflix.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Fail, Caesar!: 4/10. Man this thing was just DOA. I think I mirthlessly chuckled once but I don't remember at what. Sounds good on paper but I knew I was right to be suspicious when they threw it out with the garbage in February.

Deadpool

I get what kind of character Deadpool is and I've enjoyed the number of experiences I've had with him, but man I was mostly bored with the movie and that's a bummer. There are chuckles here and there especially from TJ Miller and Blind Al, but the movie basically relies on Deadpool's antics and humor (again, fine, he had his moments) to cover up another comic book origin movie and it wasn't enough for me. In spite of that, I do appreciate the world they built in it.

With that said I would still give a sequel a chance since there would be more material to work with and hopefully start being interesting.

5/10

Was listening to Bill Simmons' podcast and he was high on Hush which I added to my Netflix queue. Gonna give that a watch at some point.

TheFlow

Banned
Deadpool

I get what kind of character Deadpool is and I've enjoyed the number of experiences I've had with him, but man I was mostly bored with the movie and that's a bummer. There are chuckles here and there especially from TJ Miller and Blind Al, but the movie basically relies on Deadpool's antics and humor (again, fine, he had his moments) to cover up another comic book origin movie and it wasn't enough for me. In spite of that, I do appreciate the world they built in it.

With that said I would still give a sequel a chance since there would be more material to work with and hopefully start being interesting.

5/10

Was listening to Bill Simmons' podcast and he was high on Hush which I added to my Netflix queue. Gonna give that a watch at some point.
Second time I am seeing the "another origin story" thing being brought up. Origins are needed for this type of movie mane.

They perfectly nailed Deadpool's personality from the comics. I am confused as to what some people were expecting especially after all the marketing and trailers.

It is basically one of the most accurate and fan pleasing comic movie to release in the past decade.

Second time I am seeing the "another origin story" thing being brought up. Origins are needed for this type of movie mane.

They perfectly nailed Deadpool's personality from the comics. I am confused as to what some people were expecting especially after all the marketing and trailers.

It is basically one of the most accurate and fan pleasing comic movie to release in the past decade.

And it bored me. I dunno what else I'm supposed to say to that really. Accuracy doesn't mean anything to me if the product isn't interesting ultimately.

lordxar

They Look Like People. Meh this was alright. Got fucking boooooring in the middle. Definitely an indie film on a budget but well made nonetheless. The creepy factor was there and heavy at the end but it just got so damn boring in the center. They could have shaved 20 minutes out of this easily.

TheFlow

Banned
I felt pretty much the same.
The first ~20 Minutes were great (some of the best superhero-stuff Marvel released imho) but it fell apart after that.

fell apart? o_O.

the movie was just getting started

Deadpool is a pretty fun movie. Strong 7/10

If you don't fuck with the humor in it then I can see people not liking it at all. The film hinges on whether or not you can deal with obnoxious and extremely self aware writing
Now this is a reason I can get behind. The movie was a huge gamble and it ultimately paid off. The humor is definitely something that people will either love or loathe.

strong 9/10 for me.

If you don't fuck with the humor in it then I can see people not liking it at all. The film hinges on whether or not you can deal with obnoxious and extremely self aware writing

UrbanRats

Even I thought it was pretty enjoyable.
Now, i usually am not a fan of Meta humor, and this one also didn't convert me, but the action was fun, the pace was good, and it had more of a soul than fucking Ant Man.
I will say though, Deadpool is annoying as fuck, be it the point or not, i'm not sure how much more of him i can withstand.

Although the only joke that made me chuckle aloud was
him going "Daddy?" after bumping into Colossus' junk.
But there were a couple of other good jokes in there, just very hit or miss, if you don't like that style.

Worst part was his barman friend.
The bad guy was also a charisma blackhole, but given that it was juxtaposed to Deadpool, it made sense.

TheFlow

Banned
Even I thought it was pretty enjoyable.
Now, i usually am not a fan of Meta humor, and this one also didn't convert me, but the action was fun, the pace was good, and it had more of a soul than fucking Ant Man.
I will say though, Deadpool is annoying as fuck, be it the point or not, i'm not sure how much more of him i can withstand.

Although the only joke that made me chuckle aloud was
him going "Daddy?" after bumping into Colossus' junk.
But there were a couple of other good jokes in there, just very hit or miss, if you don't like that style.

Worst part was his barman friend.
The bad guy was also a charisma blackhole, but given that it was juxtaposed to Deadpool, it made sense.
Ant Man was funny not going to lie. I liked it

Everybody in the Marvel Universe finds him annoying.
Spider Man refuses to work with him.

like the movie his jokes can be hit or miss.
hawkeye-1438618813.png

gamz

The Jungle Book
This was way better than I thought it would be.
I am now in favor of a remake of The Lion King in the same style :)

Same. Saw it with my daughter and we both loved it.

Deadpool Saw it with my Wife last night and we both loved it. A funny and heartfelt SH movie. One of the best I've seen since GOTG.

The Boy I liked the first half much better, but I enjoyed it. A lot better then I thought I would and liked the ending or twist.

gamz

Yes, very similar in tone to Kick-Ass. I think Kick-Ass is better, but I really liked Deadpool.

UrbanRats

Yes, very similar in tone to Kick-Ass. I think Kick-Ass is better, but I really liked Deadpool.

Deadpool is a more consistent movie.
Kickass goes back and forth from "grounded superhero" to "super action movie".

Deadpool stays planted in the second category from the beginning.

lordxar

Blue Jasmine. Cate Blanchett played a decent enough character whose world came crashing down. Andrew Dice Clay in a serious role? Who'd have thought. The movie was a bit much drama for me. Decent but not my cup of tea.

I'm on... 44 movies in the cinema, and then a few more on blu rays, not including rematching stuff.

Anyways, Everybody Wants Some! was awesome as fuck. On the one hand, I agree with Kermode's review that these are the kinds of people I actively avoid, i.e the Jocks, but in the context of the film I found them highly enjoyable to watch, although I can't say I warmed to any of them, as in they were all pretty unlikeable. At the very least, it doesn't over rely on 80s references and what not for novelty purposes (not unlike boyhood) and it doesn't try to make the jocks appear more likeable than they were or may have been in Linklater's own life, as their retrograde attitudes about women seem pretty bizarre to our modern sensibilities, at least mine anyway. But yes, very enjoyable.

Watched Civil War last week and actually liked it quite a bit. I appreciate that they finally tried to introduce a pinch of moral complexity to the conflict here, and there was greater emotional weight to the conflict as well. I really like how relatively small scale the climax and villain ended up being, it was the by far the best final act of a marvel movie as a result. Most of the action was pretty solid throughout, with the airport sequence obviously being the stand out. If I have any complaints it's that it doesn't totally feel like a Captain America movie most of the time, and it feels like it's pulling its punches which makes the conflict feel less weighty than perhaps it should. But definitely the best Marvel studios movie yet. It made me super pumped for the new Spider Man movie too because that dude stole the show.

Toothless

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is widely considered a classic Western. I'd have to agree with that. The film never stops being entertaining after its character-driven opening, and every scene in it is useful to move forward the narrative. Newman and Redford have outstanding chemistry and totally embody their fun characters. The cinematography is gorgeous, and particularly cool in how it plays with color and depth-of-field. Director George Roy Hill puts a few esoteric touches on the film that makes it feel quite unique. It might be slow at points, but delightfully so, because you won't want to leave these characters. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a outstanding Western and a great movie, with pitch-perfect direction and perfect performances.

Got to see it in a theater too, which was neat.

Purple Rain

first time seeing this since I was a kid. saw it in theaters with a pretty packed crowd. appolonia is fine as hell but good god what a terrible actress. prince isn't that much better but he gets away with it because of his Woodland Elf aura anyways. i already enjoyed the album but this movie strengthens it since the plot and characters provide context to the tracks in the album. i think if anybody enjoyed the album they should definitely check out the movie. great musical performances from everybody involved. and the highlight of the movie character-wise is Morris Day. such a ridiculous pimp. dude orders his minion to throw a woman in the dumpster lmao. its corny but enjoyable.

btw some goober gets up in the theaters during the big musical finale and starts dancing in the aisle trying to urge everybody to join. nobody obliged him and in his embarrassment he kicked a chair and stormed off haha. me and my bros were like:
MRqbQuX.gif

ted 2

i never saw the first ted, nor did I ever intend to. but i went ahead and watched the second one with my cousin last night
after smoking a little bit
and goddamn...it was pretty damn funny. i normally don't even do comedy movies but of course there are exceptions. i might not have ever seen this if he didn't rent the netflix bluray. so yeah, i thought the story was good, and it was funny, but i couldn't vibe with all the jokes in the movie.

Blader

The Ox-Bow Incident
Starts out as a fairly bog standard western, then hits you with a gut punch of an ending. No real shootouts, just conversations that are maybe a little overly stagey in their pontificating, but dig into issues of justice and law that most westerns don't. Like M, it makes you wonder whether this film was just ahead of its time or that society has made little progress in the last 75 years. There is one really chilling shot of
the shadows of the three men hanging on the ground
but it's an otherwise pretty plain looking movie; watching non-Ford westerns in the 30s and 40s really makes you appreciate the look and movement of Ford westerns.
3.5/5

Toothless

Neighbors is an underrated gem of the mainstream R-rated comedy genre. It makes the same "mistake" of so many where it becomes dramatic at points, but it fits perfectly thematically and never feels out of place. All four main characters (Rogen, Byrne, Efron and Franco) have well thought-out motivations and as such, the film is character-driven in the best sense. Stoller directs with a fun style that frequently utilizes camera movements and neat editing for heightened laughs (here's looking at the starwipe.) The dance-off in the middle of the film is a fantastic comedic setpiece in particular. Byrne is by far the highlight of the main cast, although all are pretty good, and Barinholtz manages to steal the show among the more minor characters. It's just a shame it starts really slowly and has a lackluster coda; otherwise, this could've been one of the greats. However, Neighbors still manages to be more than the sum of its parts, and is an incredibly memorable comedy despite its obvious flaws.

daydream

Banned
Le boucher: The lingering tension of a Hitchcock meets the frigid eye of Chabrol who effectively blurs the lines constituting seemingly well-worn genre constellations. Perhaps not the most enrapturing work - the milieu is not as fleshed out as it perhaps should be, rendering parts of the film sketchy - but the subcutaneous mastery is indubitable.

The Martian: I'd been wanting to see this ever since I first saw previews and TV spots. I never got out to see it in theatres, though. Well, actually that's kind of a lie: I went to see it, but stopped at EB Games en route and ended up being too late. I settled for Creed and loved that movie very much.

I'm glad I was late, to be honest.

I held The Martian on DVD at the local library and picked it up today. And I just watched it.

Overall, I liked it quite a bit. It's a really good movie, and Matt Damon plus his character are both awesome.

It also reminded me that a threesome with Kate Mara and Mackenzie Davis would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom