• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Moonlight looks so good for sure. It's a topic that hasnt come up in many black films too. Could be my movie of the year if the trailer is anything to go by

La La land looking strong too. Wanna see these more than anything else this year right now
The Moonlight trailer does a solid job of properly setting your expectations on what that film brings to the table. It will blow you away on the acting front.

La La Land's trailers give away a little too much (including the film's two best original songs) but they're extremely polished and good sales vehicles (which is key given the musical genre).

Alas, our numbers are small and puny. Nerds alone cannot carry a movie. It has to tip over into general appeal like The Martian did for that to work.
Arrival won't do nearly the business at the box office that The Martian did. It lacks that all-American, feel-good underdog story. But I doubt Villeneuve cares.

Good to hear about Arrival and Contact comparisons, got my ticket for that at LFF. Was slightly disappointed with Sicario but loved the shit out of Enemy, so I'll see any of Denis Villeneuve's films.
The Moonlight trailer does a solid job of properly setting your expectations on what that film brings to the table. It will blow you away on the acting front.
Is the imagery consistently as striking as in the trailer? I heard the music from the trailer is the score, so that's reassuring.

UberTag

Is the imagery consistently as striking as in the trailer?
Yes... although the trailer does boast an impressive highlight reel of the film's best shots, it's still visually captivating throughout.

Am I overreacting, or does this synopsis of Passengers sound completely fucking awful?
You're not overreacting. It's getting a free pass because Tyldum did fine work with Imitation Game and Headhunters but I'm not convinced.

Blader

Am I overreacting, or does this synopsis of Passengers sound completely fucking awful?

On a routine journey through space to a new home, two passengers, sleeping in suspended animation, are awakened 90 years too early when their ship malfunctions. As Jim (Chris Pratt) and Aurora (Jennifer Lawrence) face living the rest of their lives on board, with every luxury they could ever ask for, they begin to fall for each other, unable to deny their intense attraction… until they discover the ship is in grave danger. With the lives of 5000 sleeping passengers at stake, only Jim and Aurora can save them all.

I don't mind the first half of the synopsis. Id be more down for it if the movie was about a guy selfishly wanting to not be alone and he woke up a woman who resents him for it. None of that fall in love and save the ship nonsense. And without Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence. And made by somebody that wasn't the director of imitation game

...basically fuck that movie

Skulldead

Popstar: Never stop never stopping

The first 30 minutes were pretty good, but it get repetitive and cliche... The videoclip were actually the best thing about this movie, they were really funny.

Green Room

Pretty disappointed with this one, some sequence were nice. The gore was well made. Some moment it was intense. But what really turn me off was :
Why they have to over justified the fact they have to kill them, silently. They saw someone killing a girl, and they are witness, just kill them. Just you 2 can kill them, the other get back home, WHY !!!! You want them dead, but you gave them so much chance to escape. I think it was stupid

I'm trying to give over my dislike of Jennifer Lawrence. The new Darren Aronofsky film has a great cast and his usual excellent collaborators(composer Clint Mansell, cinematopgraher Matthew Libatique, editor Andrew Weisblum) from Black Swan/Requiem for a Dream/The Fountain...I'm just gonna have to deal with that shit, fam.

Passengers trailer drops tomorrow, so we'll see

lordxar

Popstar: Never stop never stopping

The first 30 minutes were pretty good, but it get repetitive and cliche... The videoclip were actually the best thing about this movie, they were really funny.

Green Room

Pretty disappointed with this one, some sequence were nice. The gore was well made. Some moment it was intense. But what really turn me off was :
Why they have to over justified the fact they have to kill them, silently. They saw someone killing a girl, and they are witness, just kill them. Just you 2 can kill them, the other get back home, WHY !!!! You want them dead, but you gave them so much chance to escape. I think it was stupid

100% agree on Green Room. The idea was cool but the execution left too many "why would you do it that way"
the place was pretty damn isolated, blow em away and be done

UberTag

People not hearing about Moonlight until "just now" is going to upset me to no end over the next few months.

My newly-revised (and much different) Top 10 of the year post-TIFF festivities.

1) Moonlight
2) Kubo and the Two Strings
3) The Handmaiden
4) Hunt for the Wilderpeople
5) Elle
6) A Monster Calls
7) Toni Erdmann
8) Indignation
9) Zootopia
10) Paterson
Might as well throw my next 10 movies out there as well to give them some exposure...

11) Captain Fantastic
12) Hell or High Water
13) Sing Street
14) Weiner
15) La La Land
16) Christine
17) Graduation
18) Your Name
19) After the Storm
20) Arrival

Noteworthy 2016 films I've watched that did not make the cut... feel free to ask me why I think these films suck/disappoint.

- The Birth of a Nation
- Captain America: Civil War
- Everybody Wants Some!!
- Finding Dory
- Hail, Caesar!
- Jackie
- Lion
- Loving
- Manchester by the Sea
- Midnight Special
- The Nice Guys
- Nocturnal Animals

big ander

Hail, Caesar! 2016
★★★ Watched 19 Sep, 2016

Charming movie, with a stellar cast, but I can't help thinking this movie wasn't funny and had few memorable moments. Will be forgettable as the time wages on. Not the Coen brother's best but still worth a rental.

yea didn't live up to the hype for me, but I can see why people like it.

unto Midnight Special
I rewatched the first half on a plane a bit ago and it was even funnier than the first time.
Would that eh t'were so simple. Would that eh t'were so simple. Would that eh t'were so simple. Would that eh t'were so simple.

I don't mind the first half of the synopsis. Id be more down for it if the movie was about a guy selfishly wanting to not be alone and he woke up a woman who resents him for it.

This would be amazing. I'm imagining the scene where he wakes her up and takes her to a fully laid out dinner table, a date he's been planing for weeks.

Then she rejects him.
Then she finds the shrine with hundreds of pictures of her sleeping pod
Then she finds other opened sleeping pods.

Then she finds the bodies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJUri4jzyu0

In Space, No One Can Hear You Creep

big ander

Funniest coens scene imo.
Absolutely on my list. Definitely beat out by the Raising Arizona robbery ("if'n i freeze, I can't rightly drop") and it'd be neck and neck with a moment or two each from Burn After Reading, Lebowski, and Hudsucker. But hysterical anyway. I get the cool reception of Hail Caesar, and share it, but it's still one of their funniest.

Kazaam

Forrest gump is one of the best movies ever.

Absolutely! I find it so strange to see the reactions here towards this film.. I don't think I've ever seen anywhere so many having such disdain and aversion towards Forrest Gump. Well, I'm with you on this one... I think it's an amazing film, beautiful and heartfelt through it's vignettes of historical American mythology.

About this though:

Hail, Caesar! 2016
★★★ Watched 19 Sep, 2016

I do think you are a bit harsh. I think one more star is due... obviously out of 10.

Good to hear about Arrival and Contact comparisons, got my ticket for that at LFF. Was slightly disappointed with Sicario but loved the shit out of Enemy, so I'll see any of Denis Villeneuve's films.

Really curious to hear your opinion. I can't make those dates at the LFF for Arrival, but just like you, I loved Enemy and was (quite) disappointed with Sicario. What other films have you bought tickets for at the LFF?

It's getting a free pass because Tyldum did fine work with Imitation Game

*shudders*

UberTag

12 LFF films I strongly advocate purchasing tickets for while you still can...

- Arrival
- Christine
- Elle
- The Handmaiden
- La La Land
- Manchester by the Sea
- A Monster Calls
- Moonlight
- Nocturnal Animals
- Paterson
- Toni Erdmann
- Your Name

I'm surprised Jackie isn't on the menu given its recent momentum.

Ubertag-

Why didn't you like birth of a nation and everybody wants some.
My perspective on Birth of a Nation hasn't really changed since I screened it...

The Birth of a Nation - The most controversial film of this year's festival circuit, this movie felt like 12 Years a Slave crossed with the anime series, Shiki. This was a true tour de force by Nate Parker both in front of and behind the camera but I can't help but feel the story he was trying to tell was a little lacking and the resolution was a mite over-the-top and heavy-handed. That said, while 12 Years is easily a better film, I did appreciate the absence of its out of place theatrical monologuing. 6.5/10
Not sure I have much to add to the above. I do think it's regrettable that the rape allegation controversy has overwhelmed all other aspects of this film's production. It really should be assessed on its own merits. I'm expecting it to be completely snubbed by the Oscars at this point.

As for Everybody Wants Some, my general feeling is that it's a watered-down Dazed and Confused redux with a cast of capable but far too old for their parts actors who aren't really taxed by the material they're given in a film that doesn't really go anywhere. I adore the Before trilogy so I kind of hold Linklater to a higher standard because I know what he's capable of. That said it boasts one hell of a soundtrack and he definitely nailed the early 80s atmosphere.

UberTag

Did you manage to see anything from the Discovery section?
I did catch The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki at TIFF. I don't consider it essential viewing and that 96 on Metacritic is somewhat inflated but it's a surprisingly accomplished debut feature. I appreciate it more for its visual appeal than its run of the mill acting or rote storyline.

FTF

I'm trying to give over my dislike of Jennifer Lawrence. The new Darren Aronofsky film has a great cast and his usual excellent collaborators(composer Clint Mansell, cinematopgraher Matthew Libatique, editor Andrew Weisblum) from Black Swan/Requiem for a Dream/The Fountain...I'm just gonna have to deal with that shit, fam.

Passengers trailer drops tomorrow, so we'll see

I don't like Jlaw either, but if there's one (of only a few) directors that could make it work and change my mind, it's Aronofsky. And hopefully he returns to form ala Black Swan and The Wrestler (and less Noah).

I don't like Jlaw either, but if there's one (of only a few) directors that could make it work and change my mind, it's Aronofsky. And hopefully he returns to form ala Black Swan and The Wrestler (and less Noah).

Noah is the only film of his I haven't seen. I just have no motivation to watch it even though it's readily available via free streaming.

TheFlow

Banned

- Arrival
- Christine
- Elle
- The Handmaiden
- La La Land
- Manchester by the Sea
- A Monster Calls
- Moonlight
- Nocturnal Animals
- Paterson
- Toni Erdmann
- Your Name

I'm surprised Jackie isn't on the menu given its recent momentum.

My perspective on Birth of a Nation hasn't really changed since I screened it...

Not sure I have much to add to the above. I do think it's regrettable that the rape allegation controversy has overwhelmed all other aspects of this film's production. It really should be assessed on its own merits. I'm expecting it to be completely snubbed by the Oscars at this point.

As for Everybody Wants Some, my general feeling is that it's a watered-down Dazed and Confused redux with a cast of capable but far too old for their parts actors who aren't really taxed by the material they're given in a film that doesn't really go anywhere. I adore the Before trilogy so I kind of hold Linklater to a higher standard because I know what he's capable of. That said it boasts one hell of a soundtrack and he definitely nailed the early 80s atmosphere.
Sucks about birth of a nation

~Kinggi~

Banned
I saw 31, the new Rob Zombie thing. His movies are weird man. Hard to describe. This one in particular just felt covered in a dirty grime and grit that kind of makes you sick to watch just the normal characters in the movie, and then he introduces midget spanish Hitler killer dude and you realize it's basically the Running Man horror exploitation edition. Again depending on the angle and level of drunk you are this could be a shitshow or a glorious shitshow. Everything seems well made like there are people that know what they are doing, especially casting Malcolm McDowell in it, but then again there is a weird b-movie amateurish feel to it that just screams bad movie all around. I dont know, it takes place on Halloween so i think it could actually be a real entertaining movie during Horror month with some drunk in you. Ive seen all of Zombies movies. This kind of felt like a merger of 1000 corpses and Devils Rejects. Lords of Salem was definitely his most different movie.

Even after these conflicting feelings i still love that a guy like Zombie makes these types of movies. Seems wrong, like it shouldn't happen. I can never tell if the people that star in his movies are complete crack head rejects of society, so i guess depending on how true that is it could be a compliment or a negative.

lordxar

Masters of Horror Dream Cruise. Think I saw that the director was plugged into the Ring franchise and it shows. Not a bad effort at all. Pretty long though, could have trimmed some fat.

Children of the Corn. Ahh older Stephen King flicks were decent. In fact this one holds up very well I think. Creepy ass kids, some hoky 80's style effects at the end, good shit.

I kinda liked 31. Definitely grew on me upon a second viewing. There's a lot going on in there. Genre references, good music, white trash, clowns, cool set design, social commentary, and a diverse cast.

Also best Joker ever.

number11

Really wanted to watch The Handmaiden.. but both screenings clashed with my other tickets. Ended up with tickets for..

La La Land
Arrival
A Monster Calls
Nocturnal Animals
Voyage of Time
the Surprise Film (any guesses on what this could be?)

Really curious to hear your opinion. I can't make those dates at the LFF for Arrival, but just like you, I loved Enemy and was (quite) disappointed with Sicario. What other films have you bought tickets for at the LFF?

Shedloads! Taken days off work just for this, gonna be like a holiday. Sucks that I couldn't get a ticket for Ben Wheatley's Free Fire, it was a weird lucky draw that you had to sign up for cause...there was too much demand?

Here are all my LFF tickets:
The Red Turtle - 14:15 (Thurs 6/10/16)
Black Mirror - 18:30 (Thurs 6/10/16)
Sieranevada - 20:00 (Thurs 6/10/16)
Moonlight - 15:00 (Fri 7/10/16)
Christine - 18:00 (Fri 7/10/16)
American Honey - 21:15 (Fri 7/10/16)
The Handmaiden - 11:00 (Sat 8/10/16)
Toni Erdman - 17:00 (Sat 8/10/16)
Elle - 20:40 (Sat 8/10/16)
Manchester By The Sea - 11:00 (Sun 9/10/16)
Psychonauts, The Forgotten Children - 16:15 (Sun 9/10/16)
Personal Shopper - 18:00 (Mon 10/10/16)
Arrival - 11:00 (Tues 11/10/16)
Paterson - 14:15 (Tues 11/10/16)
Layla M. - 18:00 (Tues 11/10/16)
The Wailing - 20:50 (Wed 12/10/16)
Certain Women - 18:15 (Thurs 13/10/16)
Your Name - 18:00 (Fri 14/10/16)
Nocturnal Animals - 11:30 (Sat 15/10/16)
Prevenge - 12:15 (Sun 16/10/16)
The Void - 15:45 (16/10/16)
lff_2016_tickets_by_digi_matrix-daid77z.png

UberTag

Nicely done. You cleared 10 out of my 12 recommended screenings. The only omissions being La La Land (which has plenty of fans already) and A Monster Calls (which secretly boasts a 2D animated component that I enjoyed far more than The Red Turtle).

MikeMyers

Salaam Bombay! (Mira Nair, 1988)

Saw this in one of my film classes and really liked it. Definitely did a good job of capturing poverty life in India. Also got a young Irrfan Khan in a minor role.

UrbanRats

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Great stuff.
Not as joke-dense as What we do in the Shadows, it builds more of a traditional story (which premise may sound trite) but delivers it in a just as funny way, and manages to be legit touching without ever getting too smarmy or feeling unearned.
Great Sam Neil, but the cast was all fantastic.

Divius

Good stuff Messofanego, but wow @ those prices. What are they based upon? Strange how they range from 9 to 20 pounds.

20 pounds = 23 euro = 26 dollar

UberTag

Good stuff Messofanego, but wow @ those prices. What are they based upon? Strange how they range from 9 to 20 pounds.

20 pounds = 23 euro = 26 dollar
If it's anything like TIFF, those prices are fluctuating by demand.
(i.e. the higher the price, the closer the film is to selling out.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom