• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedg87

Banned
Burnt offerings
Excellent horror from the 70s starring Oliver Reed. A little surreal and rather slow. Just how I like my horrors. 8/10.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Green Knight.
STUNNING VISUALS. The HDR in this movie... the scenery. WOW.
I also loved the movie. not sure I fully understand but I enjoyed it.

One thing that bothered me. It had a lot of long, dark scenes. My lg c1 oled would go on and dim the picture (because it thinks, it's dark static image) and fail to brighten back up.
So heads up to those watching on LG oled if You think the movie is too dark

bitbydeath

Cruella

It was a lot better than I had been expecting.
The story is interesting albeit a bit on the long side. Would recommend a watch though.

Prison Mike

Banned
MV5BMGU2NzRmZjUtOGUxYS00ZjdjLWEwZWItY2NlM2JhNjkxNTFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_.jpg

I don't think this has aged well. That ****ing kid is the corniest actor ever cast.
Bitch Slap Slapping GIF by absurdnoise

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF

MastaKiiLA

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance -> Oldboy -> Lady Vengeance
Thanks, man. I've added these to the watchlist. Maybe try the first later tonight.

Also, y'all pushing the limits with some of these T2 hot takes. Eddie Furlong was/is terrible, but T2 still holds up for me. I watched it just a couple of weeks ago, and it's still great. Official Terminator hierarchy:

1. Terminator 2
2. Terminator
3. Dark Fate
4. Terminator 3
5. Genisys
6. Salvation

Carve that shit in stone.
I Have Spoken GIF by IMDb

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Candyman 2021
My first reaction is I’ve seen this scenario a thousand times (main character becomes the villain/killer) and I think I’ve seen enough where I don’t need a candy man 2, and 3 like in the 90s, I didn’t care about the art in the movie, that said I was pleased with the movie.
Horror Candyman GIF

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Lost in Translation: my favorite movie. I watch it once a year. It's one of those movies that gets all up in my feels every time I watch. I feel both sad and happy and it just stirs something up in me, I can't describe it. It's such a sweet, innocent, beautiful film. I have a lot of feelings about it since I've probably seen it over 50 times. Maybe I'll write an essay on it one day.

sol_bad

Jungle Cruise - Disney+
Very fun adventure film, I think Emily Blunt and Swayne Johnson have great chemistry together. I was hoping it would get a sequel and just recently it was announced it would get a sequel so that makes me happy. I read about the pants jokes dragging the film down but 90% of the time it's just Emily and Dwayne calling each other pants/skippy, names to annoy each other.

Cruella - Disney+

Another fun film that I wish I saw at the cinemas. Cruella in this is a totally different character from the cartoon from what I understand. But yeah, Emma Stone was bloody great in this and you could tell she was having a lot of fun. I'm surprised Disney is OK with their main character getting drunk on screen. lol

He's All That - Netflix

Wifey wanted to watch this so we did and it was fine, nothing amazing and nothing too crap. It felt much cheaper than the original film in terms of production and it came with all the usual teenage tropes that you would expect.

Slaughterhouse Rulez - Netflix

We watched this simply because it had Simon Pegg in it. Fun comedy horror film. It has some bad reviews online so your mileage might vary but I found it to be fun and the creatures looked pretty cool for what I assume was a very low budgeted film.

Antichrist - Stan

Wifey has been asking me to watch this for years and I kept refusing because I had read all about it. I eventually agreed that if it was ever on a streaming service we'd watch it and then there it was on Stan. In the end it wasn't that bad, my imagination was much worse than what we saw on screen. I'll admit I closed my eyes for a split second during the brick to balls scene so I can't confirm if you actually see anything graphic there but I can confirm that the camera doesn't show any actual squashed or damaged testicles on screen after the act. I can also confirm that you do see the clitoral cutting on camera but it looked quite fake if you ask me.
Movie was very very interesting and I do recommend watching it. I tried looking for videos on Youtube that dissect the film and it's themes but couldn't find any. Can anyone recommend any at all?

sol_bad

The Suicide Squad - Amazon Prime
Watched this last night as soon as I saw it was available on Amazon. I don't know if it was because I was overhyped for this film or not but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. The beginning and the end are a lot of fun and directed well, quite hilarious too. The problem was with the middle section of the film, it felt quite boring and many jokes felt flat for me. I liked how the mission started off as manageable for a bunch of people without superpowers and the craziness escalated towards the end. As opposed to the first film where the team has to deal with a couple of gods, felt really weird in the first film.

MastaKiiLA

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

bender bender
Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

Thanks for the reco. So I watched this the same way I watched Oldboy, Thai dub with no subs. I got the same payoff. Visually gritty, with a story told well through visual. A deaf young man has to take care of his (older?) sister, who has a kidney disease. He's working multiple shifts at the factory to raise money for her to get a transplant, when he ends up getting fired. This forces him to pursue desperate and eventually criminal alternatives to getting the money, and things eventually spiral out of control. Much like Oldboy, this is a complex story, or at least a small but complex cast of characters. Unlike Oldboy, who setup a cartoonish Bond-style villain, whose motives are only revealed to be much more complex as the story progresses, this one has no clear antagonist and protagonist. I mean, you can say there's a clear antagonist from a morality perspective, but then we're given so much time with pro and ant, that I found myself with jumbled emotions at the end of the film, as it's just a general tragedy.

I really like the way this director shoots his films. Lots of static shots, of characters walking through a scene. It gives the film an added sense of realism, as well as tension, as you're feeling some of the passage of time between events. Like the Gore Verbinski film I'll mention next, there's a lot of clever indirect camera shots, where characters are off-screen, and move into the frame, or using mirrors to show the characters interacting. Once again, this director shows instead of telling, although I did need my gf to explain one thing about the kidney issue to me, though it wasn't central to the plot. Just another masterful job by Park Chan-wook, and a solid effort from the cast. Chan-wook knows how to get strong performances from his cast, as the emotional scenes felt so authentic. Whereas Oldboy gave the fights moments to breath, in this film, he gives the emotional scenes moments to breath. Characters pause to contemplate their actions and emotions, adding real authenticity, while giving the viewer equal time to contemplate what is happening.

The movie moves at a steady and very deliberate pace. Whereas Oldboy was a slow burn that picked up to a bit of a trot by the end, this one has action throughout, but isn't what you'd call a fast-paced movie, or even an action flick for that matter. It just keeps at this steady waltz from start to finish, and it's good, because you're following 2 main characters. There's a bit of a handoff between them, so the transition is made without any lulls. Things don't build to a crescendo, like in Oldboy, but the story continues at its pace right through the final moments. I think it's the better for it as well, as this isn't a climax kind of story.

I really enjoyed this film. I'm definitely going to watch Sympathy for Lady Vengeance this weekend, if not tonight. I'll be combing through the rest of Park Chan-wook's film catalog over the coming months. This man gets it.

A Cure for Wellness

I can't remember how many times I've seen this movie popup in the preview guide, or somewhere else, and I've thought to myself, "That's an interesting title. I should give it a watch." But I never did. Not until last night. WTF took me so long? I didn't know this was done by Gore Verbinski. If I did, I would've definitely watched it sooner. A businessman goes to a spa in the Alps to retrieve his company's CEO, and ends up uncovering some of the dark secrets of the people who run the facility. It's an interesting story, but what I enjoyed the most was the way that it was all shot. Gore goes crazy with the indirect shots. Lots of use of mirror/reflection shots, almost right from the start. Lots of off-centered framing juxtaposed with symmetrical shots. I'm not a camera geek, so I might be using the wrong terms here. I think you'll get what I'm talking about, once you see the film. The plot feels very Shutter Island or Eliza Graves-esque, for much of the runtime, before doing its own thing in the third act. It's not a film that actually attempts to mislead you, like the other 2 though. Gore heavily implies the true nature of things by positioning important elements prominently in the frame. Instead, he tries to deploy misdirection through character dialogue, which I actually enjoyed. There was a point mid-movie where I started to second-guess my conclusions, but we don't spend enough time being fed a specific lead, before moving on to another plot-point. I don't know if that's a fault or not, as the runtime of the film is already close to 2.5 hours. Dane DeHaan does a great job, as he pretty much carries the film. Mia Goth was adequately creepy, and Jason Isaacs does an expected solid job. I watched this before Vengeance, and was astonished by how much both directors used indirect shots, and how visually compelling that is in a film. I'd recommend this film, so long as you aren't a DeHaan hater. Like Jesse Eisenberg, some people can't stand his voice and mannerisms, so just know that we see the entire film from his perspective, so he's in over 90% of the scenes.

Last edited:
Unforgiven. First time seeing it. One of those classics you missed and you know it when you see it.

The closet. Korean horror movie. Ok scares. Good performance from the exorcist character. Lost all it's tension for the finale, dragged on. Eh not really worth seeing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All on Netflix. Great documentaries.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
News of the World: It's an OK drama. A story about two people lost to the winds of change and conflict finding home, that's cool, it's just not terribly entertaining.

FunkMiller

I just watched Alita Battle Angel, and holy shit what a great movie. I was expecting a pretty run of the mill sci-fi, but ended up really enjoying the story and the characters far more than I thought I would. Some of the absolute greatest FX work I’ve ever seen too.

Why wasn’t this a bigger hit?

20th century fox fighting GIF by Alita: Battle Angel

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Gotti

This has to be one of the worst movies ever made. I don't even know where to start. It felt like a parody movie one would see in the background of a mid-2000's comedy. Holy shit this was bad.

sol_bad

I just watched Alita Battle Angel, and holy shit what a great movie. I was expecting a pretty run of the mill sci-fi, but ended up really enjoying the story and the characters far more than I thought I would. Some of the absolute greatest FX work I’ve ever seen too.

People don't give hard sci-fi the time of day unfortunately. If it was called Star Wars: Alita Battle Angel it would have made a billion dollars.
It's why studios are allergic to original or "original" ideas, it's the audiences very own fault.

*EDIT*
It sounds like you didn't se it at the cinemas either? You should have.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

People don't give hard sci-fi the time of day unfortunately. If it was called Star Wars: Alita Battle Angel it would have made a billion dollars.
It's why studios are allergic to original or "original" ideas, it's the audiences very own fault.

*EDIT*
It sounds like you didn't se it at the cinemas either? You should have.

It was marketed horribly. It looked like another boring cyberpunk movie for the ‘yoof’. Didn’t appeal to me at all. Audiences will go to see a film that’s sold to them well. This one wasn’t.

clarky

Gold Member
Prospect.

On prime, low budget science fiction with Pedro Pascal.

Enjoyed it, nothing stellar but passed the time nicely.

7/10

I turned it off like 20 mins in. Wasn’t feeling it at all.

bender

What time is it?
Gotti

This has to be one of the worst movies ever made. I don't even know where to start. It felt like a parody movie one would see in the background of a mid-2000's comedy. Holy shit this was bad.

I saw this in theaters when I had AMC A-List. I was expecting a far worse movie which was its' own disappointment. Maybe QT can reboot John's career again.

GeekyDad

very LTTP... but I've finally watched Lynch's DUNE. (late night up to 2am session)
and OMG was it amazing. I could not expect that.
The visuals, music, creativity... all out weirdness. It's like playing Death Stranding for first time(death stranding is still like 3x better).
I especially liked the first half before they go to the desert. Like how everything looks and how they talk.

I did not liked:
-Inner monologue... like why? I don't need to hear what everyone thinks. I am not that stupid. This felt like Donnie Darko Directors Cut with it's stupid explaining pages.
-The pimple popper bad guys were hilariously gross and cartoony. Kinda out of place. If they looked like Hellghast from Killzone that would fit much better.
-The God... I might not understand something but there were many "may god have mercy on you... You must listen to gods will" etc. But we don't see any godly intervention and it's disappointing that our leading super advanced sci-fi hero faction are a bunch of religious fantatics (they even mention jihad lol)

Questions:
-If Space guild don't want Paul to win... why did they teleported them all to the dune ?
-It makes no sense for space guild to be making amends... They would be slaves of those who control the spice. not the other way around (they control the big president guy)
-What's up with the prophecy ?
-What's with the pug?
-What's with the "spy master" indoctrination and the cat ?!

eiZeLdR.jpg

GM1IyRy.jpg

Read the book and everything will make sense.
Beat me to it... :D

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Not technically a “movie” movie, but hour and a half documentary on Netflix called Misha and the Wolves. Really compelling and had me hooked all the way. I recommend it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Cinderella - 2021

I am typically not one to gripe about "woke" stuff in media - I usually don't care about it, or even advocate and celebrate some of the well-meaning intentions and inclusion. But every now and then a piece comes along that is so performative and over the top that it strikes one immediately as pandering, absurd, and not even genuine. Roughly half of this movie felt that way. Outside of that the acting was serviceable, production design lower-budget Amazon Prime but not terrible, and the original songs not that great.

Horrible Bosses

IMDB says this one came out in 2011 - about the cusp of when the kinds of jokes in this movie became largely verboten. It's alright, funny enough. Jennifer Aniston of all people is a vulgar pervert and sex maniac which feels so weird to see, and it's hilarious. Great cast overall really. 3/5

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I don't read dem books
Well, basically, from what I recall, it was a power play by the guild, implemented by the emperor, to get the two houses fighting. Neither was supposed to control the spice. And from what I recall (it's been since college since my last reading of it, which is about 30 years ago), The guild didn't know Paul was the quisat haderach. And the Bene Gesserit had their own motives and privacy of things, only siding with the emperor for their own interests, revealing only what was necessary to further their cause.

My guess is, this remake won't necessarily make any of the book's story any more clear. It will just be a more polished effort geared toward a wider audience. The book, however, is a modern classic.

Fbh

MV5BOTI4ZmE4MDUtMTFjOS00NWNkLThkMzgtOTdmYzY4ODhmYTI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE1MzI2NzIz._V1_.jpg

I've never seen a Russian movie, and the concept sounded like it could be interesting: A Russian movie set in the Soviet era about an astronaut coming back with some alien parasite.
But it was pretty bland overall, the story was fairly generic and the movie failed to build either horror or suspense. The soviet setting felt wasted and everything had this very sterile grey look to it. Right at the end I also think they wanted to have some twists but it was more like "oh, ok".

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
RQ3bUcB.jpg

A bit Lovecraftian, moments of old school horror. It's held back by its low budget, but also direction and acting in many cases that is just plain awkward. Decent enough for horror fans but limit those expectations.

Kenpachii

images

Samuel L Jackson was god tier in this. Felt funny enough a little bit like a darker Columbus episode. The heavily underestimated guy in the room outsmarts them all.

Main complains however where
- to bloody
- whenever the movie ends and u have the full story, u honestly wonder why they even went for a tactic like that. Could have been solved so much more easier.

Anyway enjoyed it 9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom