• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

Curufinwe

Best thing about the finale is that it didnt jump the shark with some time travel bullshit or was part of the Once Upon a Time-verse or whatever dumb theories are floating around. The bad news is that the episode felt boring. No real tension. Compare this to the episode where the E Corp router hack happens.

"WHAT.. IS STAGE 2? What dastardly thing could it be? Oh.. they are just going to get rid of the hard copy backups. ZZZZzzzzZZZ"

I almsot fell asleep when Joanna taunted that guy about his dead wife and baby and got her face caved in, and then finally nodded off when the guy everyone kept saying was dead and definitely not real shot the protagonist.

If only Esmail had got your "make it not boring" note beforehand.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wait was there more scenes after the credits? I shut it off when it ended. Someone recap what happened!
Just this audio plays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuPBmgEV6yQ
/s jk i dont know i just shut it off and went back to Wow.

I almsot fell asleep when Joanna taunted that guy about his dead wife and baby and got her face caved in,
i felt nothing both during the taunting and after. Same with the stuff with the boyfriend afterward.

and then finally nodded off when the guy everyone kept saying was dead and definitely not real shot the protagonist.
i dont know what to tell you. That didnt do anything for me either.

It hasnt lost me but S2 was kind of a let down.

Funny, outside of the pacing in a few spots I thought it was better in many ways.

Loved how the Tyrell scene was handled playing on people's expectations. The post credit scene with Trenton and Mobley...

giphy.gif

vypek

Wait was there more scenes after the credits? I shut it off when it ended. Someone recap what happened!

Trenton and Mobley are hiding out working at Fry's. They discuss returning things to normal. Joey Badass shows up and asks them the time. I can't remember his characters name lol

labx

Banned
lol.

The Dark Army is FARRRRR more important than Season 1 let on. Whiterose and the CEO of E. Corps truce is breaking down (see aftercredits of Season 1), the FBI has been on F.Society WAY before the hack was even completed apparently.

There's many things this season introduced. I'm not sure why people are so disappointed it didn't end cleanly. This isn't the end of the show, and if USA would cancel it, Sam would be notified WAY ahead of time to plot it to a clean end.

So, FBI trick F. Society and that is why the after credit scene with they in like a witness protection? So Elliot is just a part of a more large thing? The thing that didn't click me was Tyrell Wellick. He is obsess with Elliot or they have a thing and Elliot is blank about that? Because T said "I love him". Angela is like a master mind of the dark army? And the girl of the FBI is like a mad detective? She put F. Society by herself? Maybe she is inside two?

Zoe

Mobley and Trenton are working at a Frys in Phoenix. Mobley wants to live the mundane life, but Trenton wants to regenerate the keys for the hack so they can unencrypt all of the data.

As they are debating this, someone walks up asking what time it is.

It's Leon.

vypek

The Angela thing doesn't seem like it's overly complicated. I really think it's just that White Rose filled her in on what was happening and has pulled her within the ranks

Not sure if I should spoiler so I will..

Trenton and Mobley are sitting outside of a Fry's Electronics taking a break. They work there on the West coast and Mobley is pushing for Trenton to look at some code she discovered that could reverse the 5/9 hack. Suddenly a man interrupts and Trenton says they are on break. The camera pans and it reveals Leon asking "Do you have the tine?"

The Angela thing doesn't seem like it's overly complicated. I really think it's just that White Rose filled her in on what was happening and has pulled her within the ranks

Based off of last weeks episode, I agree. Very straight forward. Angela is Dark Army now.

h1nch

Funny, outside of the pacing in a few spots I thought it was better in many ways.

Loved how the Tyrel scene was handled playing on people's expectations. The post credit scene with Trenton and Mobley...

giphy.gif

Agreed. I think the narrative structure will always lead to polarizing views and that's ok. But the technical aspects of this show (acting, cinematography, soundtrack, etc) are entirely unmatched on TV. Like, this show is running circles around 99.999% of everything else on TV at the moment.

The remaining seasons will determine if Sam really does have a vision of where the narrative goes, or whether this ends up as another Lost, but so far I'm extremely optimistic about what's coming next.

awp69

I wanted more but I thought the finale did really answer a lot of questions.

And to the people who still believe Tyrell is not real, you're being ridiculous, I think. Esmail put those thoughts in our head (as well as Elliot himself) to make him being real the twist instead of the other way around.

I seriously do not see any more allusions as far as personalities for Elliot are concerned. Elliot is so fucked up that he may have believed it until he was shot. Perfect irony.

Esmail didn't even try to dick us over on whether Elliot was killed (of course he wouldn't be, but still).

Stage 2 was revealed. Tyrell is real. The FBI has the case blown wide open. Cisco is dead. And even Joanna's storyline became clear. How much more could have been resolved without setting up Season 3?

One other thing: I loved the song used when Dom was walking Darlene to the conference room.

Definitely going to watch this one over again as I'm sure there's lots of little things I missed.

Tamanon

Banned
So.... why was Mr Robot trying to hide Tyrell's continued existence from Elliot? Did he know Elliot would try to ruin the plot and get shot?

vypek

So.... why was Mr Robot trying to hide Tyrell's continued existence from Elliot? Did he know Elliot would try to ruin the plot and get shot?

Probably. I mean he also gave Tyrell a gun to stop Elliot. Might have thought Elliot would sabotage stage 2

Ross61

Basically yes. I guess he tried to stall as long as he could because he knew Elliot wouldn't have the conscious to go throught with stage 2.

Self-preservation. If Elliot dies, he dies, and Robot set up a condition with Tyrell that basically played into what Robot knew Elliot would do once he heard he was going to blow up a fucking building. Elliot dying was a last resort for Mr. Robot, the plan Z he hoped he'd never have to use. Still doesn't explain the shell in the arcade though.

awp69

So did some searching and that "Moth" song used in th episode was a cover of Aimee Mann. Anyone know who did this version?

Wouldn't it have been in Mr. Robot's interest to keep Elliot in jail?
Not when he thought Elliot was onboard with finishing what they started and believing Tyrell was dead. The hope was likely that Eliot would reach a level of acceptance about Phase 2 once it was revealed to him. What happened at the end of the episode was the option Mr. Robot hoped would not happen but did.

Seesaw15

This was a great table setting season. I know a lot of people weren't hot on this season but if Esmail sticks the landing this is gonna be a masterpiece. I'm jealous of anyone who discovers this show late and gets to stream it all at once.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Tyrell is alive and was wearing the same suit and hair cut for 3 months... C'mon Sam, you could do better.

The finale was OK but this season felt inferior to the first one, the bar was to high I guess. At least we are gonna get a lot more of Tyrell next season hopefully.

Ploid 3.0

Still haven't watched the last episode, noticed this thread so I figured I'd take a peek to see if it was all worth the slow boring build up. Some seem to like it, some don't know what the heck is going on. Maybe for some, we should have stopped watching after season one. That was a great season, I was hooked, I even listened to podcasts just to hear people talk about the show. Good times.

Now I wait for Better Call Saul, then the final GoT.

Laughlin

I don't understand the season 2 hate. It started off super slow, but after episode 5 it really picked up and knocked it out of the park with every episode since then.

I think Tyrell is no doubt real, and how are they gonna do a season 3 with a worldwide blackout. Like where do you even go from there

Siegcram

Tyrell is alive and was wearing the same suit and hair cut for 3 months... C'mon Sam, you could do better.
If he didn't, the whole tease whether he's real or not wouldn't work. MR doesn't change wardrobe either.
Well now that we know the DA wasn't really out to pick off fsociety (just Cisco), I think chances are good they'll live.
Well, they were talking about "undoing everything" right before Leon showing up ...

And I don't really see what they can still bring to the table. Best I'm giving them is 50/50.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Wooooow, that was fuckin awesome. I feel satisfied with this season. I can't wait to watch S1 and 2 back to back. The complete down shift in tone matched with these spontaneous and spectacular splashes of violence and action. Just a master class in new television. If the Sopranos ushered in the golden era of television the last five years of tv has been generating these conditions that allow a television network to risk quite a bit on a show that focuses heavily on the idea that your narrator is not only unreliable because he doesn't trust you as a viewer but is also unable to relay what he can in a trustworthy manner. Then to technically bust apart fundamental rules of filmmaking and camera work and bring in these strange European "nu" influences as if they were a common tongue for American television viewers continues to be a trip. I know it's quite fatiguing now, for a lot of people, but everything about how this show is shot is so interesting and unlike anything else around nowadays. I enjoy slow paced television shows and this never felt slow. It all felt deliberate and plotted (maybe to a fault). Bryan Fuller was the first show runner to really show that having a complete frame work frees up the creative side to push harder on budgets and the people you work with to reall create these inspired pieces of art. This is the logical next step in that progression of television as it continues to grow and evolve. I can't wait for whatever comes next because there is an extremely strong foundation here and makes me glad to know that it exists to see something like this through.

JDHarbs

From the start, this season felt like it was more focused on setting up the next season than being a more self contained story like season 1 was. I still enjoyed the ride, but hopefully season 3 has more payoff.

I don't understand the season 2 hate. It started off super slow, but after episode 5 it really picked up and knocked it out of the park with every episode since then.

Why would the blackout be worldwide?

I enjoyed season 2 but its clearly only half of a story and I really know less about what the story is at the end of episode 12 than at the beginning of episode 1. The plot moved along pretty nicely in season 1 and the meandering side stories paid off, whereas it feels like in this season a lot of the side stories just made stuff even more confusing.

Why does Tyrell "love" Elliott? Why did Angela suddenly become a Dark Army fixer? How is Elliot going to "wake up" from a gut shot? Why does Tyrell even give a shit about doing all this crazy stuff, last season he was a complete Mr. Corporate Guy. What did Whiterose show Angela that suddenly got her to change sides? Why is Whiterose doing any of this? Whats the deal with the nuclear plant that E Corp owns and Whiterose wants private?

Anyone checking out this Falling Water show?

From GoT's S6 finale, Mr. Robot, and now this (among other shows I've seen this past year), it's clear that Hannibal's directorial stylings were more prescient than even the creators knew.

Now watch as half those shows continue to miss the point entirely why Hannibal worked.

It didn't.

Laughlin

Why would the blackout be worldwide?

I enjoyed season 2 but its clearly only half of a story and I really know less about what the story is at the end of episode 12 than at the beginning of episode 1. The plot moved along pretty nicely in season 1 and the meandering side stories paid off, whereas it feels like in this season a lot of the side stories just made stuff even more confusing.

Why does Tyrell "love" Elliott? Why did Angela suddenly become a Dark Army fixer? How is Elliot going to "wake up" from a gut shot? Why does Tyrell even give a shit about doing all this crazy stuff, last season he was a complete Mr. Corporate Guy. What did Whiterose show Angela that suddenly got her to change sides? Why is Whiterose doing any of this? Whats the deal with the nuclear plant that E Corp owns and Whiterose wants private?

I guess it's not clear that it's worldwide, just an assumption but you could be right. Maybe just contained to the city.

NaM

Trenton was not on the FBI board.
Romero whacked by his neighbor was fucking hilarious and cheap.
Tyrell could had shot Elliot in the leg or something.
And about that WR scene with Angela...

Zoe

Trenton was on there as a female avatar outside the fsociety box with a "missing" tag. They know she's linked to Mobley and Darlene, but probably not the extent.

KingKong

Its like theres another, much better, show happening off screen and we get to watch the parts that dont really make sense without it

NaM

Trenton was on there as a female avatar outside the fsociety box with a "missing" tag. They know she's linked to Mobley and Darlene, but probably not the extent.
Do you have a screencap? Because I can't find her.

chefbags

menacin

Banned
someone please be a friend

and list all the music used this season.

or.

will an ost be released?

pm if necessary pleeaseeeee

Top Bottom