• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

So yeah it seems likely to me that Elliot was institutionalized after admitting to his therapist that he has a split personality. I know he was talking to her about living with his mom already, but that might just be to throw us off, or there's some other reason. I bet his "mom" is like the warden and that Gideon conversation seemed like an inmate visit. I agree that Leon is another inmate and Craig Robinson is a security guard.

Even while he's committed, he's trying to tell himself he's in control. Might be one of the reasons Darlene is so distraught, too, because she knows where he is.

Super upset that the Muslim hacker and the other fsociety members besides the slobby white guy aren't back :(

It is a summer show; the 1 million viewers can't be that bad in context. TV is dying. This show is a huge get for Amazon; binge streaming is the way to go.

My only issue with Elliot being institutionalized, is why have such a surreal setting?
I can understand having the aspects represent something in real life. But then again, Mr. Robot implied that he has been able to take control of Elliot even when Elliot thinks he's under control. Mr. Robot wouldn't have been able to plan anything if he was stuck in a mental institution. Also, Elliot wouldn't have been snapped back to (what I assume is reality) when he picks up the phone answering Tyrell Wellick. I think Sam Esmail is trying to confuse the viewer in regards to what's real and what's fantasy. Though I will say, the theory is very good.

maxcriden

Couple questions about the second ep.

-do we gave any indication of whether Angela has turned to the dark side for real or if it's an act?

-why did that dude who wasn't Tyrrell look like him in the sex scene? Mask?

Zoe

So yeah it seems likely to me that Elliot was institutionalized after admitting to his therapist that he has a split personality. I know he was talking to her about living with his mom already, but that might just be to throw us off,

That part was ambiguous--all she says is "why your mother"? We're assuming the context is his living situation, but it could be something else.

-why did that dude who wasn't Tyrrell look like him in the sex scene? Mask?[/spoiler]

But he doesn't? Joanna may have a type, but they don't look that much alike.

-do we gave any indication of whether Angela has turned to the dark side for real or if it's an act?
I'd put good money it's real, largely because she brushes off the lawyer brutally and then listens to that confidence tape. She's insecure about her professional success and so she's put that above justice.

He did? I didn't think he did at all.

Corpekata

Banned
Her turn to the dark side is real but I think she is forcing it, knowing she's doing something shitty. She knows it is awful and is doing things like random hookups and listening to self help tapes to cope with it. She's choosing money and security. At this point, at least. I don't think it'll last all season.

maxcriden

But he doesn't? Joanna may have a type, but they don't look that much alike.

I'd put good money it's real, largely because she brushes off the lawyer brutally and then listens to that confidence tape. She's insecure about her professional success and so she's put that above justice.

He did? I didn't think he did at all.

Her turn to the dark side is real but I think she is forcing it, knowing she's doing something shitty. She knows it is awful and is doing things like random hookups and listening to self help tapes to cope with it. She's choosing money and security. At this point, at least. I don't think it'll last all season.

Thanks all for the insights. I dunno why I thought he looked like Tyrell in the sex scene. I was exercising and not watching super closely so let's go with poor attention span as the reason. 😂

Just watched the two premiere episodes, so blown away. From the shot compositions to the music to the cuts it all feels like something I should be paying movie prices to watch every week. Still hard to believe this is on USA Network.

Love how everything is so subtle still. I just assume a massive depression would be instant Mad Max style anarchy, but you can see the slow, slow slide of society but it almost feels like nothing has changed until you look a little closer.

Can't wait for the rest of this season, the opening music montage from season 1 uses this song which I have bought and added to my song playlists. Such an amazing song, the video from 7 years ago even has a robot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XOAStfv-v0

I just watched that Hacking Robot after show and at the very end the host asked the cast to describe their characters journey in season 2 in one word.

Rami's response - Committed

Guess that theory is 100% legit.

I just watched that Hacking Robot after show and at the very end the host asked the cast to describe their characters journey in season 2 in one word.

Whoa ho hooooooo

Also, did anyone notice the diner scene in the second ep? There are two men sitting behind Elliot, and the closer one seems to be taking up a condiment at one point(salt?) and clearly reaches over the side of the table to his left and shakes it, as if it using it. There's a column in the way of his hand but it clearly seems to be a two seater like the one Elliot and his seinfeld watching friend are sitting at so the guy just randomly pours shit over the edge.

I don't think it means anything, just kind of bizarre.

Is there anyway to watch this show if I don't have cable and don't want a Prime account? I'm talking Season 1 ep 1. All these positive impressions has me really wanting to watch.

-griffy-

Banned
Is there anyway to watch this show if I don't have cable and don't want a Prime account? I'm talking Season 1 ep 1. All these positive impressions has me really wanting to watch.

You can buy it at all the usual streaming places: iTunes, Google Play, Vudu, Xbox One

How does it prove that? I mean, committed could mean anything, like Elliot being 100% committed to shutting Mr. Robot out and making sure he never interferes again. I can't really see how it proves the hospital theory.

The setup to Gideon being shot was insane, haven't quite seen anything like that in TV before. Guy that shot him did a great job performance wise with the setup. Some god tier beguilement there.

First part of premiere was a bit iffy but second got me hooked back in again. Esmail is a fantastic showrunner.

Once again, regarding spoilers:
Typical TV thread rules apply:

1) Once something has aired on USA (e.g. the first two episodes that aired last week), it's fair game. Speculation based on what's aired is fine.
2) Please spoiler tag any preview/trailers discussion as well as information that's coming out from interviews and the like about future episodes.

Thanks and enjoy the new season.

Jocund

How does it prove that? I mean, committed could mean anything, like Elliot being 100% committed to shutting Mr. Robot out and making sure he never interferes again. I can't really see how it proves the hospital theory.

"Committed" as in committed to a mental institution. You're right in that it doesn't prove anything, but it could be read as a knowing response.

JTripper

"Mr. Robot will probably always be a show more interested in setting a tone than clearly progressing a narrative"

Could not agree more with this. I just finished season 1 and thought it was good, but the show does a better job of telling its story through its composition, visuals and sound rather than narrative progression.

"Committed" as in committed to a mental institution. You're right in that it doesn't prove anything, but it could be read as a knowing response.

It could be, but at the same time, I don't think he meant it in that context. I can see where Rami is coming from when he says committed considering just how steadfast he is in blocking out Mr. Robot, even if he faces shortcomings.

Just managed to watch it. Weirdly enough, it made me miss Tyrell, even though I think he's an unredeemable fucking psychopath.

Wish the black guy in Fsociety was there, he was my favorite.

I was enjoying it all until what happened to Gideon, he was a nice guy that got absolutely shit on. :(

Disgraced

If I felt lukewarm about S1 (liked the visuals and audio, mixed on dialogue, meh on story sans a few characters), does this feel like it's (or is it plainly) advancing in interesting or unique ways?

Monocle

If I felt lukewarm about S1 (liked the visuals and audio, mixed on dialogue, meh on story sans a few characters), does this feel like it's (or is it plainly) advancing in interesting or unique ways?
No.

To be fair, I should say not yet. But then I really enjoyed the first season.

Could not agree more with this. I just finished season 1 and thought it was good, but the show does a better job of telling its story through its composition, visuals and sound rather than narrative progression.

Absolutely. In fact when it focuses on progressing the plot such as that finale I think the shows weak writing starts to show more.

The guy is a great director and he should continue to keep on helming these episodes but i think the writing needs a change up. Frankly I find it often bad now. I just really love how the show is presented so I stick with it tho.

Absolutely. In fact when it focuses on progressing the plot such as that finale I think the shows weak writing starts to show more.

Out of curiosity, why did you think the writing was weak in the finale?
Although I don't think it's a common opinion, I have seen more than a few people post about disliking the finale but haven't seen it explained why.

As someone who hasn't had any issues with the writing so far (except for a couple of weird dialogue lines in the first two eps, but I really need to rewatch those scenes) I'm interested in hearing an opposite opinion.

Disgraced

No.

To be fair, I should say not yet. But then I really enjoyed the first season.
Alright, thanks. Yeah, it might be a good idea for me to ask later too. While I didn't like S1 that much, I did find it interesting/worth watching, so maybe I'll just see this at some point for myself. Although it's likely I've had my fill.

Out of curiosity, why did you think the writing was weak in the finale?
Although I don't think it's a common opinion, I have seen more than a few people post about disliking the finale but haven't seen it explained why.

As someone who hasn't had any issues with the writing so far (except for a couple of weird dialogue lines in the first two eps, but I really need to rewatch those scenes) I'm interested in hearing an opposite opinion.

The first thing Elliott says in the finale is "Who am I-- I mean, where am I?" which is about the most corny, on-the-nose line I could imagine. Mr. Robot's big speech in Times Square also felt pretty similar. There's just a lot of stuff where it feels like they're trying hard to be edgy or biting and I just think "This line is not as cool as you think it is."

Didn't have any of those issues with this premiere though, which gives me hope.

BFIB

This is the best show I've seen since Breaking Bad. I wasnt sure if a show could reach those heights again.

Doesn't hurt that they treat Network Security with respect. Hearing "it's impossible to recover because it's encrypted with 256 bit AES" got an applause from me. Also ransomware.

The first thing Elliott says in the finale is "Who am I-- I mean, where am I?" which is about the most corny, on-the-nose line I could imagine. Mr. Robot's big speech in Times Square also felt pretty similar. There's just a lot of stuff where it feels like they're trying hard to be edgy or biting and I just think "This line is not as cool as you think it is."

Didn't have any of those issues with this premiere though, which gives me hope.

I agree about the Times Square speech, but depending on where the show goes it's hard for me to judge that. That's what Mr Robot is, it's what he does, he appeals to Elliot's anti-establishment side. Like what Darlene said: "It's bullshit but it works".
If the show is actually trying to preach that point, then yeah I completely agree, but I'm not sure yet.
We've already seen that FSociety's plan after the hack was shitty and had outcomes they didn't want/expect. Darlene even argued that they may have made things worse

It makes me cringe seeing fans of the show get annoyed that they might not be showing FSociety as heroes, or might be showing a realistic outcome to something of this scale happening.
It's a bit like Fight Club to me. Great movie, but people who take everything the characters say as being some deep philosophical truth makes me roll my eyes. I feel like this season we're going to see the shitty side of the anarchy FSociety is trying to cause, and hopefully it doesn't try to show them in some heroic light.

Binge watched the entire show within the past day and holy fuck is it good.
New favorite show for sure.

Lol did the same thing.. Amazing show
Just managed to watch it. Weirdly enough, it made me miss Tyrell, even though I think he's an unredeemable fucking psychopath.

Wish the black guy in Fsociety was there, he was my favorite.

I was enjoying it all until what happened to Gideon, he was a nice guy that got absolutely shit on. :(

So was shayla

RPS37

I think
he probably looked like Tyrell during the sex scene because Joanna was imagining it was Tyrell doing stuff to her, cuz she misses him ;P

_Ryo_

I didn't read through the entire thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned but I have a question.

Elliot killed Tyrell, didn't he? He reaches to get some popcorn and I'm pretty sure there was a gun hidden there. So now that phone call he got at the end of the episode is only the Tyrell in his mind, right? I think before they were two actual separate people and not a part of Elliot's psyche, because didn't someone ask for Tyrell at his job, (someone not Elliot) and they said that he has been gone for some time. That proves without a doubt that Tyrell was real before. But now he's just someone in Elliot's head since Elliot killed him.

Vic_Viper

In season 1, what did Tyrell and his wife want? What were their motives for getting him that CTO position? It doesn't seem like they want him just to be in a higher position. I felt more like they were trying to get to that spot to be able to hurt Evil Corp, which is why when he finds out of fsociety and Elliot he's so interested.

Also are they Russian? I wish their backstory and motivations were given alil more attention. Seems like their family was also hurt by Evil Corp just like Elliot's and the blond (forgot her name)

Tamanon

Banned
We never got the full motives for Tyrell and Joanna's plot, just that becoming CTO was extremely important.

I assume we'll delve into that a bit more this season.

Vic_Viper

We never got the full motives for Tyrell and Joanna's plot, just that becoming CTO was extremely important.

I assume we'll delve into that a bit more this season.

Could anyone tell what she was telling Tyrell in the hospital about when she was 15? Sounded like she was adopted at first but then started sounding like she killed some girl and took her place/ stole her identity.

Zoe

Could anyone tell what she was telling Tyrell in the hospital about when she was 15? Sounded like she was adopted at first but then started sounding like she killed some girl and took her place/ stole her identity.

She had a baby girl who she put up for adoption.

Vic_Viper

She had a baby girl who she put up for adoption.

Ok lol. I'm rewatching season 1 and I still didn't get what they were talking about in that scene. I really liked their characters but man their is still so many things left not explained well or at all that I want to know about.

So, what's up with Red Wheelbarrow? Has that been discussed here? Is it a reference to the poem?
Red Wheelbarrow is what's written on the cover of Elliot's noteboo
k.

There's also a bunch of photos on the whoismrrobot.com site. According to the source code, it was updated pretty recently.

Also, I haven't posted here, but I'm really in love with the show. USA has really become the home to a lot of my favorite shows. I'm glad this show exists, and I'm super looking forward to figuring out what's happening this season.

Top Bottom