• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Deserves More Credit

fritolay

MS has been pushing and/or providing the following for gamers...

- Backwards Compatibility
- Game Pass
- Cross Play with other systems
- EA Access on their console
- Game available on PC and Xbox
- Game sharing buy 1 digital play on 2 consoles at same time
EDIT: Added these three items
- Digital Refunds
- Mid tier and high end console with UHD movie player
- Most advanced console on the market

Yes I agree on the following...
- When Sony and MS are in second place, they are more aggressive. That is business
- Related to the above they may not have supported Cross play before, IDK
- Having XBOX games on PC means you may not need a XBOX. I think they are aware.

They are trying to make every game ever made on the XBOX available for free to play on their consoles. This is awesome. I know there are some license issues and other developer items they have no control, but they are making it an option. If you don't own them, you can pay a monthly fee and try some of them out. They may run better than the original. All things that are very positive. While the XBOX One X maybe for more hardcore gamers, they are also delivering options for more casual gamers and families. Game sharing alone is fantastic.

People said they wanted just games MS did exactly that with their conference. They may not be games that everyone wanted on GAF, or fans in general I don't know, but they did what people were asking. They seem to be good at listening to fans at this time in their history and they deserve credit for it.

Agreed. Competition is a great thing for us gamers :p

They just need a bigger first party portfolio and stop slacking on the Japanese third parties and they'd be good.

mindsale

I'd really rather they had more exclusives I was interested in than Ori and Cuphead, but they're doing a wonderful job highlighting Ubisoft's and Warner's games.

This thread is likely getting locked before I submit this, I'd wager.

Geist-

Tribalism is a cancer.

MS has been the most pro-consumer company for the past 2 years at least and deserves recognition regardless of what console you prefer.

Edit:Damn, that sounded bad. I mean in the context of the big 3 console makers, Play Anywhere and backwards compatibility are very pro-consumer for a console manufacturer.

They of course also deserve criticism when deserved just like anyone else and I'm not going to argue against years directly after XB1's release.

Kyoufu

They're doing good things like you listed but I wish their first party offering was more appealing. They started their show with Forza and I couldn't be any less interested.

Quonny

I think they get a lot of credit for those things already.

But if this generation has shown anything the only things that matter are games.

KingBroly

Banned
I think they're trying a lot harder than they were at the start of the generation

but they're still missing a decent first party lineup.

Angel_DvA

Sure but they're lacking the most important thing: games.

They can do whatever they want, without games, and good one, I don't care of what service they're proposing.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah it is great, they've been doing a stellar job really but people don't seem to notice this past the (admittedly true) lacking first party output and the PS4's dominance

Lom1lo

They deserve more credit for things they are doing and they deserve more flak for things they arent doing. heh

Not saying this is a bad thing for us as consumers but in my mind it's a terrible thing for Xbox. As a PC/PS4 owner I have no reason whatsoever to invest in Xbox.
If you buy the game through Windows 10, Microsoft doesn't care. They know they can't sell you an XBox, but they can sell you software.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I have no interest in owning the Xbox system but yeah Microsoft really impressed me with their cross play with Minecraft and making the Xbone backward compatible across two generations.

Not saying this is a bad thing for us as consumers but in my mind it's a terrible thing for Xbox. As a PC/PS4 owner I have no reason whatsoever to invest in Xbox.

If you're buying their games on pc they don't care. They're getting your money either way. Especially if you're buying them from the windows store. It's just gonna have more and more exclusives.

Ricky_R

They have come a long way since that circus of a reveal, but they still haven't really upped their game (pun intended) where it matters.

Other than the obvious first party issues
(I personally love a lot of their exclusives so far, but yeah)
, they've been completely killing it everywhere else. 2nd place MS has been amazing to watch.

f7FdEdG_d.jpg

And yeah, by all means this is a good thing for consumers. But it means anyone with a decent PC literally does not need an Xbox.

The whole show was me completely disregarding the Xbox. I simply will get any of the cool games shown on PC.

There must be some way to make the Xbox still worthwhile despite the crossbuy...

Dabanton

Being behind always makes a company have to offer more value.

Buy yes props to MS on some of this stuff. I like choices and it's good that they as a company offer that.

Never forgot the EA Access reveal thread on here where so called pro consumer gamers argued that Sony made the right decision of not allowing their own customers the choice of using EA Access on their platform.

These are my thoughts also.

I have a high end gaming PC and a PS4 Pro, i do not need an Xbox, the library is available to me on PC.

If these games were not available on PC, then i might be tempted to get an Xbox

Those are good things, that they are only doing because they aren't outselling Sony this generation. The moment they are in the lead again, watch the tables shift again. This is why constant close competition is a good thing for consumers.

timberger

If they weren't coasting so much on the quality and number of first party/exclusive titles compared to other platforms I'd gladly give it to them. Partial backwards compatibility and subscription services out the ass are just no substitute for that when you get down to it.

le.phat

If their offering was really catering to the gaming audience at large, they wouldn't be getting outsold 3:1. I think they get as much credit as they deserve.

If you buy the game through Windows 10, Microsoft doesn't care. They know they can't sell you an XBox, but they can sell you software.

If you're buying their games on pc they don't care. They're getting your money either way. Especially if you're buying them from the windows store. It's just gonna have more and more exclusives.
I should specify, I'm talking about Xbox as a player in the console gaming space. Personally I think Microsoft is trying to transition away from consoles anyway.

kadotsu

Banned
They are all great services that I appreciate but I think too many of these features look backwards and thus don't create an exciting narrative. Game pass -> play oldish games, BC -> play old games, EA access -> play old EA games. Service-wise they are simply better than Sony but because they don't have something new, something exciting to get invested in they don't get as much credit as they might deserve.

dsk1210

I am happy they are realising there games onto the PC platform OS of which they own, disappointed it's only on their own store but I understand not wanting to split money with other companies.

Just make the store work properly and give it a full feature set, I have had nothing but problems installing nearly every game bought there.

Nheco

- Backwards Compatibility
- Game Pass
- Cross Play with other systems
- EA Access on their console
- Game available on PC and Xbox
- Game sharing buy 1 digital play on 2 consoles at same time

No one can deny all those good things, even so, it's very hard to justify MS's completely lackluster first party lineup.

And hey, I'm a mainly Xbox Gamer for years, my XBL signature has a 7 year tenure.

People said they wanted just games MS did exactly that with their conference. They may not be games that everyone wanted on GAF, or fans in general I don't know, but they did what people were asking. They seem to be good at listening to fans at this time in their history and they deserve credit for it.
Not sure what you want to happen. You admit Microsoft didn't deliver on what people wanted. Why shouldn't people speak up about that? It's like you go to McDonalds and ask for a Big Mac but get a salad instead, and your advice is to say "Thank you sir. May I have another."

Starfield

If they really wanna go the "its not necessary to buy our Hardware as long as you buy our software" way then they should really really really put some effort into Windows 10 and make it a feasable gaming platform.

Servbot24

Banned
I think they're doing a great job at everything except for making great games. The problem is that great games outweigh every other factor combined.

Top Bottom