• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS! how do they do it?

Jeez, Nintendo couldn't do it, Sony couldn't do it either, but some how MS seems to get their games in all regions on time.

How do they do it? Euro xbox owners don't seem to have to wait ages before receiving their games. MS releases games in Europe almost around the same time as they do in the US.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Its called "they ship more software to market all over the world every year than the others do in five*"

*statistic is entirely fictional

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's they're called global processes. Only Microsoft and Nokia have such. Sony and Nintendo have regional silos not cooperating.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Because Microsoft is #1

EDIT: And who says Microsoft isn't good for the industry?? They're the best thing to happen to this stagnant industry since Sony entered with the Playstation

Chittagong

Gold Member
there is really no excuse for not doing global releases other than market place optimization.

if you plan your development properly and factor in sufficient localization, testing and cert times, you can do it with no effort. but nintendo, for one, does not localize all it's products by default. instead, they make rush decisions on which games to localize, resulting in stupid shit like Animal Crossing being released this month in Europe. bad management, nothing else!

SKluck

Banned
Most US-based companies seem to be able to do this very easily. For example, most PC games. Nintendo and Sony slow down the process for US-based releases on their consoles, yet MS just moves it right along.

Odd.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Chittagong said:
there is really no excuse for not doing global releases other than market place optimization.

if you plan your development properly and factor in sufficient localization, testing and cert times, you can do it with no effort. but nintendo, for one, does not localize all it's products by default. instead, they make rush decisions on which games to localize, resulting in stupid shit like Animal Crossing being released this month in Europe. bad management, nothing else!
I've been telling this forever. If you look at the PC business and exclude the approval process it is not so different. Localization and local bug testing can and should be done while in production, not after.

Hot example: Look at the Bungie updates on Halo 2 to see how this works.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Funky Papa said:
I've been telling this forever. If you look at the PC business and exclude the approval process it is not so different. Localization and local bug testing can and should be done while in production, not after.

Hot example: Look at the Bungie updates on Halo 2 to see how this works.

Speaking of Halo, how about that Halo PC port that took 2 years to release and was complete shit?

open_mouth_ said:
Because Microsoft is #1

EDIT: And who says Microsoft isn't good for the industry?? They're the best thing to happen to this stagnant industry since Sony entered with the Playstation
I disagree. I thought the industry was utterly fantasic from the SNES to N64. Games like DKC, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, Pilotwings 64 and Wave Race 64 didn't just happen on accident. But whatever. It's all behind us now and I have to live with this "stench" that is Microsoft and Sony. See two can play at this game.

Ambience

Banned
I'm sure Nintendo could aswell, but the truth is, Nintendo only care about the US/JAP market. What title and when they release it (to the rest of the world) is drawn from a hat.

Prine

Banned
evilromero said:
I disagree. I thought the industry was utterly fantasic from the SNES to N64. Games like DKC, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, Pilotwings 64 and Wave Race 64 didn't just happen on accident. But whatever. It's all behind us now and I have to live with this "stench" that is Microsoft and Sony. See two can play at this game.

Noway, £50 a game, using carts, slooooooooooow release dates for PAL gamers, long gaps until decent games were released. I hated that part of the N64/SNES period (games were awesome though)

Sony and MS = Good for the industry. Thank god for both of them

Top Bottom