• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: "industry experts" say Xbox One has "a better line-up", gamers "don't buy stats"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chobel

Lock if old

http://www.oxm.co.uk/61999/microsof...s-a-better-line-up-gamers-dont-buy-for-stats/

Microsoft's corporate vice-president Yusuf Mehdi has told investors that the upcoming clash between Xbox One and PS4 is great for consumers, and reiterated his colleague Albert Penello's claim that the statistical capabilities of each machine are "meaningless" in themselves.

"First, I do think it's an incredible time for gamers," he observed during the Citi Global Technology conference, as reported by Youtube user onlysublime2, and passed on by Dualshockers. "One of the things that has never happened is we go head-to-head with a competitor on a console launch.
"I think that's going to bring a lot of energy to the overall gaming market and a lot of focus and attention, and I think that's going to further grow the market. So I think in general it's a good time to be a gamer. We feel good about our business within that.

"Competitively speaking, so far, I feel like we have a much better... more complete value prop," Mehdi went on. "We do things that aren't found on other platforms with the Kinect, a huge piece of differentiation. As I said before, the fact that we do entertainment and gaming.

"And then even if you just take gamers, hardcore gamers, gamers buy for the game. They don't buy for stats on a spec sheet. And if you look at the games we have, according to most industry experts now, a better lineup of games."

MQw6z.jpg

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Early adopters will be buying for stats but beyond that he is right. Which game line-up is currently better is subjective and I personally think both look equally as mediocre as the other at the moment.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's called PR folks. We get like 4 of these threads posted a week where a MS employee is promoting the Xbox One. That's their job, to push the Xbox One. They aren't going to come out and say "PS4 is AWESOME!" in the same way the folks pushing the PS4 won't do the opposite.

I do agree with the whole "gamers don't by stats" thing though. I think most gamers may hear such and such console is better than the other console, but it really comes down to games and friends.

Well if they produce some amazing exclusives, he'll be right in a year or so. Gamer "boycotts" or similar avoidance rarely last long.

All about the games is the long term mantra that never ends up being wrong. Just hope tablets don't come out with amazing games for the casuals...damn you candy crush saga!

T.O.P

Banned
"And then even if you just take gamers, hardcore gamers, gamers buy for the game. They don't buy for stats on a spec sheet. And if you look at the games we have, according to most industry experts now, a better lineup of games."

have to agree on this wich is why i'm buying an Xbone first

*let the shitstorm begin*

fvng

Deep Down and Rime are enough for me to opt for the PS4. Ryse seems like an eventual bargain bin game to me. Dead Rising aimed at COD fans has zero appeal to me

DaBuddaDa

This is a ludicrous thing to say (well, it's PR, what do you expect I guess). Both have Battlefield. Both have Destiny. Both have Madden. Both have FIFA. Both have Assassin's Creed. Both have Call of Duty.

The "lineup of games" is virtually identical outside of a small handful of first party titles. I think the $100 price difference is going to play a way bigger role in people's purchasing decisions.

x-Lundz-x

Well, MS I bet if the "spec sheet" was leaning in your direction you would be touting the shit out of that that instead of telling me great your camera is going to be.

Kinect, Kinect, Kinect...blah.

And the only thing you have going for you right now is exclusivity to Titanfall which will be on PS4 eventually...

softie

lol yeah, games DO matter most, but when you have a history of dropping support for games earlier than your competition AND also cost 100 bucks more, you DO have a shittier value prop.

sangreal

Then why all the hubub about 'I can't wait until the truth comes out!' and such?

I don't get it.

...MN was agreeing with AP's position that there won't be a drastic if any difference in games regardless of specs. Whether you agree with them or not, it's perfectly in-line with what you just quoted. The "truth" here refers to games

Jburton

Banned
Desperation, scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and drag out some positive PR that does not come form themselves.

Fuck stats or games for a minute ........ main thing is, it's too expensive.

Then it's weak, as well as being more expensive.

Pre orders etc don't lie, gamers are buying the PS4 more.

tuffy

Yes, on one hand the most powerful console is rarely the most successful one. So I suppose it's true that gamers "don't buy stats".

On the other hand, the most expensive console is rarely the most successful either.

Derrick01

Banned

MS is right with the first sentence and it's precisely why I'm not buying an Xbox until I notice a change in their long term dedication to gaming. Buying systems just for mediocre launch titles (on both sides) that will be forgotten before next year is over is silly. I'm buying PS4 now to play some decent games, experience what the new system can do, and then sit back with the fact that I KNOW the system is going to get a flood of support from Sony for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom