• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Xbox One June 2014 sales more than double May 2014's sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
fair enough...but do you really think thats the case here?? didnt the PS4 sell double the Xbone in May??...

do we really think PS4 sales dropped (especially with the extra week that June NPD covers)??

I meant it as Sony countering MS news with a double whammy.

It's funny because he made this post on 5-29-2014.

I had a launch XB1 but returned it for a PS4, because I hated spending $60 for a game knowing that if I had a PS4 I would get a superior version for the same $60. I have both now though, because Microsoft is coming fast with the updates making XB1 much better has a all around media device I planned to use it for.

loooool

Trago

I mean, I guess that they should be happy that sales are up, but the impact isn't that great.

Fuckin' droughts man.

He wasn't fooled.

He's writing a puff piece.

Haha what exactly is a "puff piece"? Sounds tasty. Colin doesn't normally leave out pertinent data or spin things, so that's what made me think perhaps he was fooled by MS' spin. Either way, it's not a well presented article, in my opinion. Very misleading.

Ardenyal

Aqua, correct me if I'm wrong:

Xboxone April 2014 total (4 weeks): 115K for a weekly average of 28.75K
Xboxone May 2014 total (4 weeks): 77K for a weekly average of 19.25K
Xboxone June 2014 total (5 weeks): ~155K for a weekly average of 31K

So it's slightly above the weekly total before the price cut/unbundling was announced.

Makes you think if they would have sold the same overall in may+june even without the price drop.

I usually stay far away from NPD threads. Nothing good ever comes of them.

NPD threads used to be filled with the most glorious GIFs!

I was expecting bigger numbers, and I'm sure Microsoft was as well. I think PS4 has this gen in the bag but these are early days so anything could happen.

Mikey Jr.

Not really.
It's what most people expect.
Kinect-less bundle boost, but nothing special.

Doubling a disaster number isn't a grand achievement.

Gonna have to wait till holiday to see if anything changes. Have a feeling ps4 going to be on top for the next few months.

ethomaz

Banned
Colin Moriarty's a great guy and does excellent work. But his article on this topic is a perfect example of how the media gets fooled by these types of stories, and I'd expect a little bit more critical thinking from Colin.

His headline (the one on IGN's main page that you click to get to the article) reads: "Xbox One Sells Huge in June, Doubles May's Numbers"

It sold "huge" in June? Really? His article talks about how great the sales are: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/xbox-one-sales-double-from-may-to-june

The problem is that he makes no mention of how terrible Xbox One sales were in May. And they were partly terrible because Microsoft announced the incoming price drop a month early. So, the sales doubled in June because they were abysmal in May. Doubling poor sales does not equate to "huge" sales.
I think the HUGE in title is sarcasm.

fair enough...but do you really think thats the case here?? didnt the PS4 sell double the Xbone in May??...

do we really think PS4 sales dropped (especially with the extra week that June NPD covers)??
Well... This is the first month that Sony hasn't hit another million milestone. So sales for the PS4 have Slown down a bit this month.

CoG

Almost certainly damage control to get 24 hours of press on this until PS4 best selling hardware for June is announced tomorrow.

Doing double what was most likely their weakest month is not overly impressive.

hawk2025

Haha what exactly is a "puff piece"? Sounds tasty. Colin doesn't normally leave out pertinent data or spin things, so that's what made me think perhaps he was fooled by MS' spin. Either way, it's not a well presented article, in my opinion. Very misleading.

"puff piece (plural puff pieces)

A journalistic form of puffery; an article or story of exaggerating praise that often ignores or downplays opposing viewpoints or evidence to the contrary."

It's a puff piece. No one with a 3rd grade understanding of math and data would write that article. He's smarter than that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It's funny because he made this post on 5-29-2014.
What if he sold his launch XB1 and traded his PS4 for a new one post E3? That a probable scenario in such an alarmingly short amount of time with no notable releases!

Kssio_Aug

I wish more parity between the PS4 and XB1 numbers. I can understand why Sony is the top seller this gen, but I really believe that MS is, month after month, stepping at the right way, and now they deserve to come back to competition at full speed.

In march Sony announced 7 million the day before they won NPD. I still wonder why sony did that. A lot of people though MS came 1st because of that.

Not announcing concrete sold to consumer numbers is very suspicious given MS's propensity to spin any random number into some sort of record breaking achievement in their losing streak this year. We'll get the numbers soon enough but if it's as low as ~160k after the "price drop" then they're in a heap of trouble.

What if he sold his launch XB1 and traded his PS4 for a new one post E3? That a probable scenario in such an alarmingly short amount of time with no notable releases!

No there is a time period that he owned both, so he would have had to sell his xbox to buy a ps4, then bought another xbox, then either

1. sold the ps4 and now owns 2 xboxes

2. sold the xbox, then traded in the ps4 for an xbox again (thus having owned 3 different xbones through 6 months)

Toki767

Colin Moriarty's a great guy and does excellent work. But his article on this topic is a perfect example of how the media gets fooled by these types of stories, and I'd expect a little bit more critical thinking from Colin.

His headline (the one on IGN's main page that you click to get to the article) reads: "Xbox One Sells Huge in June, Doubles May's Numbers"

It sold "huge" in June? Really? His article talks about how great the sales are: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/xbox-one-sales-double-from-may-to-june

The problem is that he makes no mention of how terrible Xbox One sales were in May. And they were partly terrible because Microsoft announced the incoming price drop a month early. So, the sales doubled in June because they were abysmal in May. Doubling poor sales does not equate to "huge" sales.

Every article about this news that I've seen failed to mention how little the Xbox One sold in May.

I think the HUGE in title is sarcasm.

I wish. That would certainly make more sense.

A journalistic form of puffery; an article or story of exaggerating praise that often ignores or downplays opposing viewpoints or evidence to the contrary."

It's a puff piece. No one with a 3rd grade understanding of math and data would write that article. He's smarter than that.

Hmm, well I learned what puffery is. It's a good day haha.

Yeah, you might be right unfortunately. I know he's a smart guy, so he is indeed probably choosing to leave out relevant information that pretty much undermines the whole story.

Also, I find this part of his description for the article to be pretty interesting: "Xbox One is trailing PS4 in units sold, but things may be changing." Things may be changing? What evidence is there for that?

Shin-Ra

Weekly

PS4 May : 49.25k
XB1 May : 19.25k
XB1 June : 30.8k
OMG LOL Microsoft is soooo desperate LOOL!
iQA9beCy4lmKV.gif

I wonder how much better May+June is than if they hadn't offered the Kinectless SKU at all.

I like how so many people in this thread interpret 'more than double' as 'exactly double' or maybe 'double plus 1,000 units'. Lol.

The agendas are real.
"More than double" implies something between 2 and 2.4x, I think. At 2.5x, you'd get "two and a half times," and any higher, you can use "almost triple," which both sound way better than "more than double."

orochi91

So around 150K. That is terrible. Pricecut, E3 hype, 5 weeks... just terrible. I'm expecting a gap of atleast 80K between both consoles.

It's not that 154 is particularly good or particularly bad on it's own. It's that May's sales (77k) were torpedoed, presumably because of April's numbers (115k), and all they got out of it was a very, very slight boost in sales in June (154k).

April = 29k per week
May = 19k per week
June = 31k per week

* this post assumes the number is actually 154.

That is abysmal. This gen is over.

Lefein

Banned
Anything less than 190k after a price drop means that the XBone can't even compete with the PS4 on a 5 week month with a telegraphed price drop. It's fresh out of gas.

XBox. Done.

Xbone will be fine, it just won't be the market leader...anywhere. Biggest thing is that flips the script on MS's gaming strategy, which has been, including the first year of Xbone, to leverage their market advantage to lure external devs into making exclusives. I would imagine those devs will be more tempted to dev for PS4 or ideally both than just the Xbone. Thus the price for external devs just went way way up these last few months for MS.

Which really makes the decision to move Black Tusk to Gears sting, and perhaps was a big sign they can't depend on external devs anymore. So the question becomes where are the original IPs coming from in the future?

actually, colin specifically stated on twitter than he thinks MS announced this today to downplay the "PS4 selling more announcement" tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom