• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(MTV) Racism Among The Many Foes Online Gamers Must Fight

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1514305/20051121/index.jhtml?headlines=true

Aaron Freeman plays "Halo 2" online under the name Black Jesus — so he expects to get some flak.

He gets cursed at. He gets run over by his teammates. And he is frequently told, by the anonymous gamers from miles away that he is connected with via his Xbox and microphone-enabled headset, that "Jesus wasn't black, you stupid n---er."

"I think I've come to tune it out," Freeman said. A film media major at Hunter College in New York, Freeman, 23, has been playing games online for several years and can more than hold his own in "Halo." While he admits his gaming moniker can be provocative, he says racism online is uncalled for and all too common.

"Sometimes you get the feeling [people] go online not even to play, just to bother other people," he said. "It's kind of disturbing."

Gamers who have racked up a few kills or won a few races on any online games that can be played with strangers already know that prejudicial remarks are a regular part of the chatter they'll encounter. "If you play every day, you will hear it every day," said 20-year-old Chris Buddhu from Queens, New York.

"The first time it happened I was a little shocked," said 23-year-old Chris Scott of Brooklyn. "It's different from the racism I encounter in person."

Why are some gamers leaving their girlfriends for Mario, encouraged to play in class and getting a crash course in race relations? Watch Overdrive to find out.

In the real world, people can react. "If I said something to someone else, they can punch me in the face for that," he pointed out, "but when it's over the Internet and Internet games it's a little bit harder. Because you wonder who it is. You wonder more of 'Why?,' like 'What's the point?' "

Some gamers, and even some in the industry, say unsavory types are unavoidable anytime you're dealing with huge numbers of people, such as the 2 million Xbox Live players or the thousands who play "SOCOM" nightly on their PS2s.

"If you have this large a community, you're bound to have some problems," said Larry Hryb, director of programming for Xbox Live. A Sony PlayStation representative had no comment at press time.

Aaron Greenberg, group marketing manager for Xbox Live, said Microsoft has a zero tolerance policy for any racist remarks made by users of its online system. "We shoot to eliminate it completely," he explained.

To that end, the upgraded version of Xbox Live launching this week with the Xbox 360 will include several new safeguards. They include "Gamer Zones" that allow subscribers to only interact with, say, those who have chosen a kid-friendly area. The new Live will offer an improved feedback system that allows gamers to file complaints about other gamers directly through their system and it will introduce an eBay-style five-star rating system, which may help indicate who is worth playing against.

But Microsoft reps also say that, numerically speaking, racism has not been a major issue on their network. "We've banned over 10,000 people, but that's not just for racial remarks," Greenberg said.

"I game a lot," said Hryb. "I'm not saying this doesn't exist, but from what I've seen it really hasn't crossed my desk that much."

That might be because gamers don't complain about online racism to Microsoft or Sony with nearly the frequency they experience it. Gamers interviewed by MTV News said protesting to game makers about prejudiced players would be futile. "They could ban their accounts, suspend them, but there's loopholes around that," Buddhu said.

Freeman thinks the prevalence of online racism can be attributed to the anonymity of playing online. "It's a godlike power Microsoft gave everybody," he said. That freedom seems to breed a culture where taboos are readily broken. "I've heard mention of all kinds of things you just can't bring up in person," he said "The word 'rape' is pretty much dulled now because of that."

He admitted that the freedom of online chat, combined with the vicarious thrill of online action gaming, can be intoxicating. He recalled one time — the only time, he said — when he let loose on another player. "I just picked out someone and I said, 'You did awful, you should kill yourself, blah, blah blah,' " he said. "I'll admit it was kind of fun."

Having now recognized the inability of Microsoft or Sony to eradicate racism from online gaming, some players have explored other ways of turning the tables. If Freeman discovers that the players he's matched with on a "Halo" team are racist, he'll slip off to make an offer to rival forces. "I'll sneak up to an opposing player with a powerful weapon or rocket launcher and I'll go, 'Hey, kill racists!' and I'll hand it to them and run off," he said. "They say, 'Black Jesus is a freedom fighter. He's a civil-rights worker.' "

For 29-year-old Victor De Leon of Long Island, the solution was to find a narrower playing field. De Leon often games with his 7-year-old son, a "Halo" whiz kid who games as Lil Poison. He used to eagerly engage in worldwide matchmaking games that could net completely unknown gamers as online opponents. But the comments from other players got to be too much, and one incident provided the breaking point when players with a Southern drawl verbally attacked him and his son.

"They just kept on saying 'sp--' and 'stupid n---ers,' " he said. "I was like, 'How can you say this to a 7-year-old kid?' " Now De Leon keep their gaming more restricted, playing primarily against people they know.

Others have taken their gaming offline. Kia Song, 25, and Brian Tang, 24, founded a New York-based offline gaming group called NYClan in part to appeal to gamers beleaguered by online prejudice. "We've had gamers travel to be in our events," said Song, noting that the group offers an alternative "for anybody who is frustrated with people screaming racial slurs at each other and just deteriorating the quality of the game." NYClan late-night gaming parties have attracted 250 gamers since June.

Scott, who has played in NYClan events, said he can't let racism ruin his ability to play online. He's not going to be chased off. "My strategy for this now that it's become commonplace is I just crush them," he said. "That's it. I crush them and let them talk."

— Stephen Totilo

Stench

Banned
Ripclawe said:
"I'll sneak up to an opposing player with a powerful weapon or rocket launcher and I'll go, 'Hey, kill racists!' and I'll hand it to them and run off," he said. "They say, 'Black Jesus is a freedom fighter. He's a civil-rights worker.' "
fm_urkel.jpg

Duh. The anonymity of the Internet emboldens the typical scrawny/fatass white gaming geek (the numbers say they're in the majority) to say shit to people that would get them knocked the fuck out in real life. I saw this as I finished playing some Halo 2 a while back and some dumbass in Kansas starts going crazy in game and shouting the N-word all over the place with no provocation.
*sigh*

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
whenever a bitch said something bad about me being a puertorican I just hunt him down and concentrate on him I don't fucking care if I loose I remember this guy that said "you fucking puertorican you are animals living on a shithole" I was like "oh rly?"(owl style) and I procced to kill him whenever I had the chance, that's the beauty of playing Halo 2 online.

How do they know you're Puerto Rican? Just curious.

Anyway, I just leave negative feedback for all those racial slur-spewing slime buckets out there. Unfortunately, the anonymity of the internet almost emboldens the weak-minded, weak-spirited out there.

Error2k4 said:
whenever a bitch said something bad about me being a puertorican I just hunt him down and concentrate on him I don't fucking care if I loose I remember this guy that said "you fucking puertorican you are animals living on a shithole" I was like "oh rly?"(owl style) and I procced to kill him whenever I had the chance, that's the beauty of playing Halo 2 online.
how did he know you were puertorican?

Seriously, if he didn't want to get slured everytime he goes on Live, he just shouldn't have picked a name like black jesus.

Error

MightyHedgehog said:
How do they know you're Puerto Rican? Just curious.

Anyway, I just leave negative feedback for all those racial slur-spewing slime buckets out there. Unfortunately, the anonymity of the internet almost emboldens the weak-minded, weak-spirited out there.
probably because my username is puertorican related and also my poor english talking skills :lol

Error

Date of Lies said:

Seriously, if he didn't want to get slured everytime he goes on Live, he just shouldn't have picked a name like black jesus.
exactly, I don't take what they said to me personal after all it's just a game and people will talk shit of you while you play to distract you that to me it's normal.

well except that one time where he clearly crossed the line and I wasn't in the mood I may add :p

Nameless

The best thing ever for us black XBL gamers is to talk as proper to the point where everyone assumes you're white, and then bust out in the most abrasive ebonics humanly possible after owning someone.

btw....

15370378.jpg

"XBL Doesn't Care about Black People"

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Error2k4 said:
probably because my username is puertorican related and also my poor english talking skills :lol

Oh crap, are you Puertoricanlivinginashithole82 that I was playing last in Halo2?

border

Haha....I always thought that X360 commercial with the big water balloon fight was deceptive, disgraceful advertising.

The kids should be yelling "Fuck you nigger Jew faggot!" and "I want some motherfuckin' chocolate milk!" at each other, so as to accurately portray the Live Experience.

Ah OK. I can't imagine telling someone who's what (or at least that specific) from the sound of their voice too well. I mean, I'm Japanese/Chinese/Filipino(mom's side)/English/Irish/German(dad's side), but I was raised 'white' :lol and I sound like a 'white' stoner, I suppose. I'd be surprised if someone online listening to me could guess that I'm only 'half-white'. But since your GamerTag is Puerto Rican-related, that makes sense. The shit-talking about your ethnicity doesn't.

When I was heavy into Counter-Strike (stopped playing at beta .7), that was about the worst I've ever encountered for racist bullshit, though. Must have something to do with it being free and easy for almost any computer to run at the time. Your only recourse was to just find and stick to good servers with half-decent people.

I'm interested to see how Halo 2's improved or worsened since I last played regularly. It was pretty awful in the early mornings there for a while, with stupid little brats rapid-firing the epithets.

antipode

Yeah, I saw this on MTV when I had it left on. It was a pretty good story (actually most of the game stories they had this week were good.)

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1514305/20051121/index.jhtml?headlines=true
"If you play every day, you will hear it every day," said 20-year-old Chris Buddhu from Queens, New York.

I think this is missing this guy's full quote, which was something like "Other players think black players must hear (n-word) once or twice a month, but if you play every day, you will hear it every day."

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Nameless said:
The best thing ever for us black XBL gamers is to talk as proper to the point where everyone assumes you're white, and then bust out in the most abrasive ebonics humanly possible after owning someone.

btw....

15370378.jpg

"XBL Doesn't Care about Black People"

I dont even talk abrasive or anything and i still get called the n-bomb, and i aint even black. Guess its just the nature of the beast, especially when people know that they can get away with it when they are behind the mic.

Error

MightyHedgehog said:
Ah OK. I can't imagine telling someone who's what (or at least that specific) from the sound of their voice too well. I mean, I'm Japanese/Chinese/Filipino(mom's side)/English/Irish/German(dad's side), but I was raised 'white' :lol and I sound like a 'white' stoner, I suppose. I'd be surprised if someone online listening to me could guess that I'm only 'half-white'. But since your GamerTag is Puerto Rican-related, that makes sense. The shit-talking about your ethnicity doesn't.

When I was heavy into Counter-Strike (stopped playing at beta .7), that was about the worst I've ever encountered for racist bullshit, though. Must have something to do with it being free and easy for almost any computer to run at the time. Your only recourse was to just find and stick to good servers with half-decent people.

I'm interested to see how Halo 2's improved or worsened since I last played regularly. It was pretty awful in the early mornings there for a while, with stupid little brats rapid-firing the epithets.
last I played it has gotten better but I usually tend to play against people I know so I can avoid shit like that. so I can't tell for sure.

border said:
Haha....I always thought that X360 commercial with the big water balloon fight was deceptive, disgraceful advertising.

The kids should be yelling "Fuck you nigger Jew faggot!" and "I want some motherfuckin' chocolate milk!" at each other, so as to accurately portray the Live Experience.

and the ever so unique "Man im so high right now....."

ZombieSupaStar said:
and the ever so unique "Man im so high right now....."

I'm one of those :lol I dunno, but I feel like I should share that info with people online in games like Rainbow Six 3...it's kind of a warning to my teammates that I'm not the go-to guy that'll save the day for the team.

Ah yes, thanks for the new avatar, beermonkey.

masud

Banned
From an older thread:
Come on the racism is the best part of Live. One time me and a friend were playing halo 2, when the mics kick in this kid is already well into a speech about those damn niggers and Jews. So I (being drunk as hell) start talking shit throughout the entire game, "nigger in the lead," "reparations bitch." and the like. After the game he says, "well I still beat your nigger friend." And I'm like, "Nope he's one of yours." My friend then gets on the mic and says, "Sorry I let the race down man."

Good times.

I dunno, but I feel like I should share that info with people online in games like Rainbow Six 3...it's kind of a warning to my teammates that I'm not the go-to guy that'll save the day for the team.

PotSoldier.jpg

etiolate

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
well, people who play online know this, but i doubt the average mtv viewer does...

I'm betting the average MTV viewer is the person calling everyone a nigger fag online.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Date of Lies said:

Why not do you think Jesus was white?

beermonkey@tehbias said:

"Don't fire till you see the reds of their eyes!"

They're 15, they're pastier than a kindergartener's collage, and the parents are outta the house so it must be "act tough as loud as you want time."; that's the way I see them.

mckmas8808 said:
Why not do you think Jesus was white?
it's not about that, it's just that when you go online with a name like BlackJesus, you're asking for it a little bit. Live is not a perfect world, you come to understand and accept these things.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
With a name like Black Jesus.. I'd think he's going to get a lot of shit..

However my user name causes me problems in other ways on MSn and so on..

Some loser: So...wanna talk?

me: who dis?

SL: What are you wearing BlackLace?

Me: uhh...dude I have a cock.. and it is Ace...

SL: *Logs off and does Crying Game*

Diffense

Jesus was an ancient Jew from the Middle East. The blonde Jesuses with arrow straight hair and blue-eyes that you sometimes see in paintings are likely way off track. Hilarious even. You couldn't blame the Jews for not believing he was the true messiah from the root of David if he looked like that. :p

Anyway, people say silly things online when they can't be held accountable. What else is new. It happens here all the time. ;)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Date of Lies said:
it's not about that, it's just that when you go online with a name like BlackJesus, you're asking for it a little bit. Live is not a perfect world, you come to understand and accept these things.

Oh okay cool.

Flynn

border said:

You nailed it.

Online racism might be a sad, unavoidable no brainer for gamers, but the the mainstream public, who are getting their first taste of the online experience, it's worthy news.

It's a shame we couldn't get our community cleaned up and humanized before they started showing up.

Or did the racism come when they started showing up?

Blackace

Flynn said:
It's a shame we couldn't get our community cleaned up and humanized before they started showing up.

Or did the racism come when they started showing up?

huh?

How does anyone know what race you are online? People just like to say things like that because they can't in real life. If someone calls you a Nigger they're doing it for the shock value, because they can't do it in real life and because they think it's funny. I doubt that the vast majority of these people actually hate the groups they're talking about.

Blackace

Synth_floyd said:
How does anyone know what race you are online? People just like to say things like that because they can't in real life. If someone calls you a Nigger they're doing it for the shock value, because they can't do it in real life and because they think it's funny. I doubt that the vast majority of these people actually hate the groups they're talking about.

I would beg the differ..I agree that they are not in hate groups, but I do not doubt that they are racist.

EDIT: Also a lot of people show their creed and background as pride, like my name, or Black Jesus and so on

Error

Synth_floyd said:
bollocks, I think the whole reason why minority groups are attacked with racist comments on Live or the internet is because those people can't say those things in real life so they relieved their hate on minority groups on internet or Live under the shield of anonymity.

Blackace

Date of Lies said:
stop stealing my idea

you and I are the first people to ever think of that.. I promise you that..

cicero

Error2k4 said:
As a "puertorican" I would have thought that by now you would have realized it is actually "Puerto Rican". :p

Hey i say let the racist do what they please they cant get laid and hate black people so this is a way of them letting off steam, just smile and enjoy the real world ... :)

Musashi Wins! said:
When I first played Rainbow Six there were some racist clans. SOCOM used to have a few as well. Odd.

I assume no pun was intended by 'racist clans'. I kid, I kid. :lol

ight was deceptive, disgraceful advertising.

The kids should be yelling "Fuck you nigger Jew faggot!" and "I want some motherfuckin' chocolate milk!" at each other, so as to accurately portray the Live Experience.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is why I use my 'Friends List'. Also, just don't even entertain any bullshit. If I'm hosting, I tell people once you start any bullshit your ass is getting kicking. First sign of insurrection, I boot their sorry ass. as soon as I jump into a game and all I hear is faggot this and nigga that. I just leaveand find another suitable game. I LOVE the fact now that you with XBox360 you have a little more power and input over these losers. It's a free country and they can think what they like, just don't bring that shit into my home.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Welcome to the Internet, MTV!

Where ad hominem flows like honey!

Where everyone (every, SINGLE, one, of you!) is the most clever, coolest guy on Earth and the rest are all idiots who should kill themselves!

Where repressed geeks and nerds nuture a robust sense of false entitlement, and stride like gods across the e-scape!

Top Bottom