• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(MTV) Racism Among The Many Foes Online Gamers Must Fight

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
sp0rsk said:
A redneck is a good ol boy that does stuff like walk up to guys asking if they are gay and beat them up if they say yes. A redneck is a low class close minded racist moron. Yes you might think it's derogatory, but these people are proud of it!

It's true. Tell a redneck they are one and they'll say "And proud of it! 'least I'm not a n*gger or a sp*c!"

shpankey said:
Just because some people embrace the term as their own doesn't mean it can't be derogatory. Black rappers call themselves the N bomb all the time, but that doesn't mean it isn't derogatory when used as an insult.

I've just never seen a person get upset about the term redneck, except on the internet, where people will get upset about anything.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Lo-Volt said:
Doesn't that sound like blaming a woman for being sexually assaulted because of the way she dressed? I don't think we should be understating how wrong it is for people on Live to be doing what they're doing, nor should we be suggesting that they are ultimately responsible for the kind of language they spew to the chagrin of the people who have to hear it. Someone's handle being "Black Jesus" does not excuse others' racism or utter immaturity.

Dude, cmon - think about it. If I went around on Live as "White Mohammed", do you think I would be making friends that way with the Muslims?

Maybe his name really was Jesus, but somehow I doubt it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
shpankey said:
Just because some people embrace the term as their own doesn't mean it can't be derogatory. Black rappers call themselves the N bomb all the time, but that doesn't mean it isn't derogatory when used as an insult.

Not just rappers say that word. My best friend is white and I call him the N word from time to time.

mckmas8808

Dr_Cogent said:
Dude, cmon - think about it. If I went around on Live as "White Mohammed", do you think I would be making friends that way with the Muslims?

But Mohammed wasn't white. You say that as if Jesus was really white?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Dr_Cogent said:
I'm not going to get into this discussion at all. You can believe whatever you like.

Wait.. Jesus... born in Middle East.... chance of being white... survey says... <buzzer> ;)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
DarienA said:
Wait.. Jesus... born in Middle East.... chance of being white... survey says... <buzzer> ;)

Well, that's open for debate ;)

But in all actuality, does it matter? I find the name "White Jesus" offensive as well. "Red Jesus", "Purple Jesus"...

mckmas8808

Dr_Cogent said:
Well, that's open for debate ;)

Are you talking about what the holy book says is up for debate? I noticed the wink so maybe you were joking. :lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Are you talking about what the holy book says is up for debate? I noticed the wink so maybe you were joking. :lol

Wasn't commenting on the Bible. Just the idea that Jesus was black or not would be up for debate. A debate in which I will not be participating in :)

Gio_CoD

Banned
See the funny thing about offending people is that it's ok to shit on the following groups:

White males
Christians

They're just not allowed to get offended. But if you happen to propose that maybe black people like basketball all of a sudden you're the reincarnation of Adolph Hitler. That's why the whole racism game is an absurdity anyway.

DarienA

Haleon said:
See the funny thing about offending people is that it's ok to shit on the following groups:

White males
Christians

They're just not allowed to get offended. But if you happen to propose that maybe black people like basketball all of a sudden you're the reincarnation of Adolph Hitler. That's why the whole racism game is an absurdity anyway.

FU I can't stand basketball b*tch!!!!!!!

<ahem>

But I do like Watermelon! <rimshot>

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well there is a difference between racism and being prepared for something according to common trends.

See, everyone views the world as working according to a set of rules, it's a basic psychological development that we all need so that we don't have to observe reconsider the entire world before making basic decisions. We learn the constants of physics, the functions of different objects, and get a little stuck if asked to view or use things in a way uncommon to us. These frameworks of thought are called schemas.

Thing is, this is a natural tendency for all things, including social images and interactions. If someone approached you in a suit, you'd probably have a different expectation of how they will act than if they were wearing a hawaiian shirt--and then it is still different for persons wearing a leather jacket, camouflage, an undershirt, no shirt, etc.

This is normal, and perfectly reasonable since each one would have a common basis of interaction type behind them. Yes, it doesn't work in absolutes, but it does hold true a lot of the time. Whether you like it or not, race is the basis for a few different subcultures, and so the prevalence of those subcultures is going to change ones expectation of interaction with you to fit the subcultural stereotype your outward appearance most reflects.

That isn't racism, it's merely being human. Real racism is the inability or unwillingness to adjust your perception to fit the reality of the person and their unique character as you get to know what it truly is. Racism isn't stereotypes, it's fitting people into the mold of a stereotype in your mind against the truth. If a monk pulled out a gun you'd adjust your expectations of them, so if someone who appears to be a "gangster" to you pulls out Nietzsche you should be just as willing.

SonnyBoy

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm not going to get into this discussion at all. You can believe whatever you like.

Dude, the bible says his skin was the color of bronze. Im sorry but white folk aint bronze.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SonnyBoy said:
Dude, the bible says his skin was the color of bronze. Im sorry but white folk aint bronze.

Neither are black folk.

And if you notice, I never explicitly said Jesus was white. Just the idea that he was black was up for debate is all.

SonnyBoy

DarienA said:
FU I can't stand basketball b*tch!!!!!!!

<ahem>

But I do like Watermelon! <rimshot>

I endorse this thread all the way. I hate professional basketball and drumrollllll please! Im black and I can't dribble! SHOCK!!!

But I can play my ass off in football. So that makes up for it.

SonnyBoy

Dr_Cogent said:
Neither are black folk.

Not neccesarily true but Ill give you that. My skin is that complextion all black people are not blurple. Was he black like a american black man? No. But he was a person of color so to speak.

Acosta

As it wasn´t stupid enough to feel other person different from his skin tone, they have to bring that shit to a virtual place where it matters even less.

The discussion about the tone of the skin of jesus is.. hilarious, sorry, but anyone care? There a ton of more interesting topics to speak about the figure of Jesus (and no one of them is quite appropiate for a gaming forum).

God DAMN I fuckin' love fried chicken, and I'm so Nordic it hurts.

If Jesus was alive right now, there's no way they'd let him into an airport. And if he was toolin' in Iraq with his 12 pals, he'd be "insurgency" and runnin' for cover from Apache fire. :(

Drinky Crow said:

If Jesus was alive right now, there's no way they'd let him into an airport. And if he was toolin' in Iraq with his 12 pals, he'd be "insurgency" and runnin' for cover from Apache fire. :(
:lol

Drinky Crow said:

WOW!! That is funny and sad at the same time. Only on GAF can you find such a choice statement. Tlak about puttig things into perspective. :lol

mckmas8808

Drinky Crow said:

Ah man you gotta love it. :lol

dog$

Hates quality gaming
This is part of the reason why I say relying on other people to enjoy videogames is a bad idea.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Fried chicken, ribs and watermelon are delicious no matter what race you are!

And oh yeah, I once got booted off of Live by some kid named "KrackerJoe" because my name is "AfrikaShoxx" (I picked the name because Afrika Shox is the name of a song by Leftfield, featuring Afrika Bambatta, and it's a good song and also because I like reading about Africa). Yeah he kept on calling me a n****r, and I'm just like "Dude. I'm white god damnit!" =P Stupid racists...

J2 Cool

The worst part is when they fight the racist foes and lose. There's a lot on the line when you meet racism in a deathmatch.

My rural hometown in Alaska has got TONS of rednecks.
Country-music loving, beer drinking, truck-driving, "Git-er-done" droning, very proud rednecks. And whenever the topic of videogames came up in casual conversation, they all really like Xbox, Halo, and GTA.

Chester, Lester, and Troy: Dude, we got ripped as all get out and played videogames until 5 AM last night!
Me:Really? You know I just got Katamari Damacy(or replace with the most recent weird game de jour) the other day, its fantastic.
CLT:What the hell is that (slur and explitive)! Hey, how are your Halo skills?
Me:I don't have an Xbox because I'm into nerdy experimental games and shumps.
CLT:Hahahahahhahaha. What a fairy.

Not 100% accurate, but I have had variations of this conversation multiple times. This could explain why the doofus crowd doesn't buy into really terrific games like MGS3, Shadow of the Colossous, BG&E, Gradius 5, Panzer Dragon Orta, etc. Meanwhile True Crime, EA's entire lineup, and crappy movie games continue to do well.

Its just like those dudes in Middle School who would look you straight in the face and unblinkingly state that the first Mortal Kombat was way better then Street Fighter II cause "its got blood".

Sorry, got off on rant for a moment there.

cicero

Diomedeskun said:
Actually, as a Puerto Rican, it's Puertorriqueño or alternately Puertoriqueño.
Touché sir, touché.

Drinky Crow said:

Actually he would most likely have fled or would be dead. The indigenous Jewish population of Iraq which was estimated at 135,000 - 140,000 in 1948 was reduced down to less than 100 in 2003 through widespread anti-semitic persecution and the 1950 Iraqi emigration law which finally allowed Jews to emigrate, but forced them to relinquish their Iraqi citizenship and any property within Iraq.

DarienA

Drinky Crow said:

:lol :lol :lol

You must be slow to anger my children.. turn the other cheek... OH SHIT RUN!!!!

The black/white Jesus, HA!!

He was a Jewish man from the middle east, there were Arabs in the middle east too, but we tend to not distinct people of such ancestory/desencents in terms of black and white. Take from that as you will. You probably all lose with 2000 years of human history development and migration on that regards trying to categorize it into modern "standards" of racial markings.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dr_Cogent said:

but most Muslims don't get offended if the name was used. Mohammed is a common name for black and white Muslims...

edit: also I think you'd get more shit from the same typoe of people that give blackje$u$ shit

My theory is that alot of uneducated rednecks love xbox. Hence a lot of racists.

This coincides with my "black redneck" theory!

What I hate is when some dipshit starts in with the racist shit in the Socom lobby and then it's a bitchfest for the next 20 minutes. The first few times I sat around hoping it would stop, but then I remembered the leave game button and went in search of another bunch of mongrels to shoot. Let the shit talking to the Internet Toughguys. >:|

SHUT UP AND PLAY! <= I propose that for the PS3 on-line gaming slogan. :p

Eric P

djtiesto said:
"AfrikaShoxx" (I picked the name because Afrika Shox is the name of a song by Leftfield, featuring Afrika Bambatta, and it's a good song and also because I like reading about Africa). .

goddamn i love that song.

oh um.

racism is dumb, but i've never encountered it online.

instead i encounter screeching prepeubescent little kids.

the fact that i was interacting with people born after the release of the third indiana jones movie made me feel too old, so i don't really play live anymore.

expecect racisim, expect sexism, expect deuchbaggery.

These are tools used to distract opponents, either choose to be offended or brush it off. Dont take what someone whom you will never meet says seriously.

Top Bottom