• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mueller Expands Probe to Trump Business Transactions

I'm worried Mueller will find nothing... What happens then? Do we Banghazi/Email this or take him at his word and move on?

No, you move on. We don't get to do this, we aren't Republicans. We wanted a special investigator, we got one. Let them do their jobs, we will see what comes out of it all. If it turns out it was nothing, then its nothing.

Personally, I highly doubt it was nothing, I also doubt Trump was personally involved...he isn't that stupid.

Culex

Banned
If it turns out Mueller can't find anything to stick to Trump, I can live with that. He is trusted across multiple presidents on both party sides.

If he cannot find anything, then that is that.

Aylinato

No, you move on. We don't get to do this, we aren't Republicans. We wanted a special investigator, we got one. Let them do their jobs, we will see what comes out of it all. If it turns out it was nothing, then its nothing.

Personally, I highly doubt it was nothing, I also doubt Trump was personally involved...he isn't that stupid.

He kinda is that stupid

If it turns out Mueller can't find anything to stick to Trump, I can live with that. He is trusted across multiple presidents on both party sides.

If he cannot find anything, then that is that.

Do you honestly believe that Trump is squeaky clean in this shit (let alone anything)?

CazTGG

giphy.webp

Trump is going to be in jail for more than just treason, methinks.

Do you honestly believe that Trump is squeaky clean in this shit (let alone anything)?

I don't think anyone thinks that Trump is 'squeaky clean' but there is a very big difference from that and actually finding evidence of a crime that they could prosecute him for which would be needed if he was really going to be impeached. They really need someone to flip on him much like what happened with Watergate.

Taramoor

Counterpoint, I think they deliberately kept him out of the really impeachable and horrifying stuff because he's too stupid to be trusted with that kind of information.

The reason I tend to think Trump will end up firing Mueller is that this almost certainly going to happen (for those keeping score at home, I asked the percentage chance that Trump will fire Mueller on The Editors podcast today: Michael Brendan Dougherty was 200%; Charlie was 50%; and I was 70% or higher). This kind of expansion of an investigation is what special counsels do, and there is nothing to indicate that Mueller is going to limit his work, in fact the opposite. Bloomberg is reporting that Mueller is already looking at Trump’s business transactions. Maybe that report is premature, but it’s probably where this is headed.

All sorts of people will tell Trump not to fire Mueller. But we can be pretty certain that Trump didn’t sign up for a free-floating investigation into his businesses and that he believes — and must feel confirmed in the belief — that fortune favors the recklessly bold. If Trump doesn’t fire Mueller, it will only be because every other day he’s talked out of following his instincts.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/449718/yeah-trump-probably-going-fire-robert-mueller

Koomaster

I'm worried Mueller will find nothing... What happens then? Do we Banghazi/Email this or take him at his word and move on?
It certainly hasn't hurt the GOP at all as we are witnessing. So I don't see why not. I think we should all be skeptical if Mueller finds absolutely nothing with an investigation so large in scope. I'd want the dems to open more investigations and call Trump to the stand every other week over this until he dies. Fuck the whole going high bullshit. If this investigation finds nothing and the dems roll over and accept it at face value then there should be riots in the streets. Nobody should be moving on from this, ever.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Hahahah.

Trump is insane and thinks he's untouchable, he also likes being the decision maker. He may not have sat in on some of these meetings, but he absolutely knew what was going on. Hell, he nearly said as much about the Jr meeting in that NYT interview yesterday.

I mean everyone in his inner circle is meeting with the same people, all doing the same things. I'd say it's impossible he wasn't giving directions.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Counterpoint, I think they deliberately kept him out of the really impeachable and horrifying stuff because he's too stupid to be trusted with that kind of information.

His ego hasn't let that happen since so I doubt he was smart enough to stay away then

What in the world has shown you that he isn't that stupid?

rjinaz

Hahahah.

Trump is insane and thinks he's untouchable, he also likes being the decision maker. He may not have sat in on some of these meetings, but he absolutely knew what was going on. Hell, he nearly said as much about the Jr meeting in that NYT interview yesterday.

He is stupid. Shit we got proof just today when he said he thinks insurance premiums are $12 a year for some.

But, his money protects him. He has smart people around him doing the protection for him, lawyers, experts in moving money and what have you. My thoughts anyway.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
He is stupid. Shit we got proof just today when he said he thinks insurance premiums are $12 a year for some.

But, his money protects him. He has smart people around him doing the protection for him, lawyers, experts in moving money and what have you. My thoughts anyway.
I don't know about the people around him either. His lawyers have shown themselves to be clowns, frankly.

I think a lot of this behavior comes down to his cadre operating their businesses in a mob-like fashion for such a long time that it just becomes the "normal" way things are done, which makes them lose perspective and not take the usual precautions. They've also been able to fly under the radar and get away with shit for so long that they start to feel like no one's watching. This attitude surely was on display during the campaign, likely due to not even them thinking Trump would win. Now he wins and they've got this incredibly intense spotlight on themselves and I think some of them are aware of it now, but it's kind of too late.

rjinaz

I don't know about the people around him either. His lawyers have shown themselves to be clowns, frankly.

I think a lot of this behavior comes down to his cadre operating their businesses in a mob-like fashion for such a long time that it just becomes the "normal" way things are done, which makes them lose perspective and not take the usual precautions. They've also been able to fly under the radar and get away with shit for so long that they start to feel like no one's watching. This attitude surely was on display during the campaign, likely due to not even them thinking Trump would win. Now he wins and they've got this incredibly intense spotlight on themselves and I think some of them are aware of it now, but it's kind of too late.

I mean it's not like Trump just recently started doing shady shit. I'm sure it goes back decades and he never got caught. There has to be some level of competency there if that's the case.

I agree that now that the spotlight is on him it changes things and the man was a fool to ever run for presidency.

Bleepey

Ocean's Eleven

I can already see the scene that looks like this:

ce56d86e44f653b88497867e6383dfaa.jpg

The seasoned hard nosed investigative journalist who is slaving through the night on multiple cups of coffee, chain smoking cigarettes, his wife has left him and he feels the Pulitzer is within arms reach and then:

uw3EDeW.png

Xe4

Banned
Given how much Trump settled out of court as a private business man? You think?

The Trump University case was a slam dunk. The guy is a conman. It isn't a question of if there's anything to find.

It's just a question of if they find enough of it to build a case.

Trump U was a civil case. It also didn't have the ex head of the FBI personally investigating. Nor was he president. It's going to take a lot, but I really do think something is going to come of this. I certainly don't think he'll end up in jail (let's be honest, Pence will probably pardon his ass if prosecution gets anywhere near him), but it'll be enough to force him to resign or cause impeachment, I think.

We shall see. I'm putting all of my though of the case in Mueller's investigation. If he says there's not enough of a case to be built against Trump, than that is that.

Fergie

Banned
I mean it's not like Trump just recently started doing shady shit. I'm sure it goes back decades and he never got caught. There has to be some level of competency there if that's the case.

I agree that now that the spotlight is on him it changes things and the man was a fool to ever run for presidency.
Doesn't he settle majority of the time?

To him publicly he assumes that absolves him of guilt.

What do you think will happen if he does?

Well I'd imagine in this scenario it would be totally possible he fires everyone that's specifically lined up to succeed Rosenstein, but doesn't get lucky and everyone refuses and runs out of people that can do the position without senate confirmation.

Ideally that would be the best case scenario. We'd have verifiable evidence of him attempting to fire Mueller without actually being able to do it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity, is there any real expectation that the GOP will act with anything more than written or verbal displays of disappointment if Mueller finds anything or gets fired? I'm just having a hard time seeing the current GOP impeach and remove their own president.

I feel like the Dems need to win big in the midterms for anything meaningful to come from this, but maybe I'm overestimating how shitty and corrupt the GOP is?

Top Bottom