• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mugged of £2MILLION: 'Gunmen hold up Dubai diplomat' after he draws CASH from bank...

Status
Not open for further replies.

operon

Mugged of £2MILLION: 'Gunmen hold up Dubai diplomat' after he draws CASH from bank for his boss​

Armed robbers held up an Arab diplomat outside a British bank after he withdrew £2million ‘spending money'for his wealthy royal boss.
Three masked men allegedly struck as the embassy worker carried two cash-stuffed suitcases into a chauffeur-driven limo outside the National Bank of Dubai in Knightsbridge, west London.
One of the gang put a gun to the official’s head and yelled: ‘Give me the money or I’ll blow your brains out.’

The trio then escaped in a Vauxhall Insignia as the terrified official, who is believed to work for one of Dubai’s Al Maktoum family, called the police with his mobile phone.
t 20 minutes later a car was stopped less than half a mile away in Kensington by armed officers in a diplomatic protection squad vehicle.
Two men were arrested. However, one man fled and was still on the run today.
Officers found property in the car including a passport, mobile phone and a high-visibility vest that a witness claims one of the men had been wearing.
A source said: ‘£2million in cash was robbed by three men - the gunman is still said to be on the loose.
‘They threatened an individual with a gun and took two suitcases off him.
‘Some bank staff were loading money into a van with an embassy employee outside the Dubai Bank.
‘The employee had come to collect it on behalf the embassy. I think when the royal family is in town it is protocol to get the cash.
‘The four men became aware of a male standing close by who pulled out a firearm and said ‘give me the money or I’ll blow your brains out.’
‘The person phoned the police and a car was stopped by a diplomatic protection crew 20 minutes later in Cadogan Place.
‘The two defendants, one in the driver’s seat, were seen with the bags and were arrested.
A passport, mobile phone and high-visibility vest was found. The gun has been retrieved.’
Armed: A police diplomatic squad car, like the one that responded to the 999 call

The two arrested men were remanded in custody at West London Magistrates court.
Jonathan Haynes, 36, of Horley, Surrey, and Trevor Mair, 45, of New Addington, Croydon, are both charged with robbery and possession of a firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence.
They were remanded in custody.
Source: Daily Mail

Quite daring

Salazar

SmokyDave said:
I wonder who tipped them off.

It is interesting. Phone tap ?

It's not the kind of job you pull without the most solid information.

Edit: you can escape through London traffic ? What time of day ?

2nd Edit: "less than half a mile". Ah.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It's got to be an inside job

It's not like the robbers got lucky and just happened to stroll past while somebody was taking out £2m in cash.

Sanjay

article-2008994-0CC4BE3B00000578-139_468x286.jpg

For future reference, the red ones are armed.

andycapps

I would not want to be those guys right now. I wonder what the penalties are for robbery in Dubai, particularly of a rich and influential person in their society.

NEO0MJ

Napoleonthechimp said:
It happened in the UK not Dubai.

Whoever did it would probably get dragged to Dubai for punishment, though. I doubt the prince who got robbed would be happy about this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why the hell would you withdraw that much cash when you can just pay directly with your debit/credit card in most places (at least you can here in Sweden)? I generally try to never have more than a few hundred SEK (100 SEK = ~$15 USD) in cash on me at any one time. There's just no point in having more. The only places where I need cash are certain bars. Other than that, I always just use my card.

OK, so this guy is obviously stupid rich, but that shouldn't make any difference. Or actually, it makes it even more stupid to withdraw a lot of cash, since stuff like this is bound to happen.

RoadHazard said:
Why the hell would you withdraw that much cash when you can just pay directly with your debit/credit cars in most places (at least you can here in Sweden)? I generally try to never have more than a few hundred SEK (100 SEK = ~$15 USD) in cash on me at any one time. There's just no point in having more. The only places where I need cash are certain bars. Other than that, I always just use my card.

maybe you should meet the prince of brunei and learn how crazy some rich ppl are

SmokyDave

RoadHazard said:
Why the hell would you withdraw that much cash when you can just pay directly with your debit/credit card in most places (at least you can here in Sweden)? I generally try to never have more than a few hundred SEK (100 SEK = ~$15 USD) in cash on me at any one time. There's just no point in having more. The only places where I need cash are certain bars. Other than that, I always just use my card.

OK, so this guy is obviously stupid rich, but that shouldn't make any difference. Or actually, it makes it even more stupid to withdraw a lot of cash, since stuff like this is bound to happen.
Because sometimes being rich isn't as important as letting other people know you're rich.

Binabik15

RoadHazard said:

yWEfP.gif

Because I couldn´t find saudiguymakingitrain.gif

FairyD

RoadHazard said:

You can't make it rain with plastic.

Meadows

Banned
Death Dealer said:
What's the purpose of marking which cars are armed ? Seems like it would only help criminals

Nah, it'd make em shit themselves. Although in the UK to use a taser you have to be an ARV officer and the use of tasers has to be approved by the commissioner for that specific case and then reviewed on an incident by incident basis by an independent board.

RoadHazard said:

You can't do this with a credit / debit card:

LApA4.gif

scy

2 million?

qFimY.jpg

Note: Poster does not condone mugging and robbery except when over 1 million.

NEO0MJ said:
Isn't it impossible to travel with such a huge amount of money?

You can, but you have to fill up paperwork with customs:

There is no limit on the total amount of money or monetary instruments that may be brought into or taken out of the United States. However, if you transport or cause to be transported, more than $10,000 in monetary instruments on any occasion into or out of the United States, or if you receive more than that amount, in behalf of someone else and then transport it, you must file a Customs Form 4790 with U.S. Customs. Failure to comply can result in civil and criminal penalties, including seizure of the currency or monetary instruments. Monetary instruments include U.S. or foreign coins, currency, traveler's checks, money orders, and negotiable instruments or investment securities in bearer form are all considered when determining the total $10,000 reporting requirement.

scy

I never understood why he looks so bored when doing it. Maybe making it rain loses any sense of excitement and thrill when you're not broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom