• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

rockx4

He is saying that Zelda is perfectly playable with the grip and joy-cons

It seems like Jason is the only one so far who is having serious problems with the left joy cons. Others have mentioned it but they are not saying it is really bad

Andre did say he had no issues with the disconnects in his room, but in the living room there seemed to be interference.

ShapeGSX

giphy.gif

Annoying? Sounds like a disaster.

Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update though, it's a key feature after all. Even though this takes away the positives in many previews it's still a good thing that Nintendo finds out about this before the launch, even though we're just talking about a few days.

It's a catastrophe!

Ashler

He is saying that Zelda is perfectly playable with the grip and joy-cons

It seems like Jason is the only one so far who is having serious problems with the left joy cons. Others have mentioned it but they are not saying it is really bad

Well, he just said that he had a sync problem in the joy con playing Zelda yesterday and only when he left his office and into his living room. He suspected it might be due to some kind of interference, because he never had this problem playing in his office.

lenovox1

I can't see this being a software problem, otherwise everybody would have it or don't have it.
Unless that are different firmwares around which would be unheard off.

It can be a radio router interference, like the LG 5K Apple one, but do we have some report on that? It happens outside?

It looks more like a hardware problem with some component (bluetooth/wifi chip) batch that went in the production line that slipped the QA.

Sorry if someone already talk about that, but the thread is going kind fast to keep up.

That's not necessarily how software issues present themselves.

Fredrik

Looks like it's not everyone that has this problem. Good news to anyone that did pre-order.
I'd rather see that everybody have the problem, as long as it's a software issue. Variations are much worse, I still haven't bought a PS4 Pro since some people say it's silent and other say it's noisy, my launch PS4 is a jet engine and I can't deal with that again.

Annoying? Sounds like a disaster.

Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update though, it's a key feature after all. Even though this takes away the positives in many previews it's still a good thing that Nintendo finds out about this before the launch, even though we're just talking about a few days.

I would love them to fix it with an update, my xbox one had disconnect issues for about a year until I sold the console before the S came out while it was perfecly fine before, I never figured it out and can only think that my neighbours bought some more wifi gear causing issues as I live above them. No xbox update fixed my issue at the time.

Skyzard

Banned
We will see. Is it affecting multiple software or only Zelda? Do they have their phones on wifi/Bluetooth/4g nearby? Is it a smart TV connected to wifi? Do they live in an apartment complex or in a office with dozens of wifi access points?

They'll need to if they want to use voice chat.

Apparently it's happening at the OS screen too.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
You didn't have a problem with the 3ds battery at launch? I thought that was a universal problem.

Was there a trade in or something? Mine worked fine at the time and I eventually upgraded to an XL (also fine at launch) and eventually upgraded to a new 3DS XL (also fine at launch).

Dartastic

I'm really not worried about this. Either it's a software thing and it's addressed promptly, or it's a hardware thing and Nintendo takes care of people because it falls under warranty. In the meantime, just don't use the grip and it sounds like you're fine.

I'm really not worried about this. Either it's a software thing and it's addressed promptly, or it's a hardware thing and Nintendo takes care of people because it falls under warranty. In the meantime, just don't use the grip and it sounds like you're fine.

Not everyone is getting a Pro Controller so it is an immediate issue.

emb

Wonder what the cause of this is. I'm hoping it's pretty easy to get around. Though I'll probably pick up a Pro Controller soon regardless. And I wonder if it happens in the grip (sounds like it does, if people are trying to play Zelda on the TV), and if it happens in the charging grip.

One interesting post from Gaf's very own othersteve in the other thread:
To clarify since I saw someone asking, the left Joy-Con sync issue only applies outside of a roughly 6 foot radius from the device itself.
Could make sense with some having issues at home, but not in offices. Living rooms probably tend to be spacier.

Could be the interference thing too. Probably varies a lot from setting to setting.

Another thought was that maybe some just had a factory hardware defect. Which could also explain why some work fine and others don't.

Enforced

I had this similar problem with the wii u pro controller sometimes. Bit annoying. Will keep my preorder and hopefully Nintendo will fix it.

TheFuzz

Am I crazy... or is the neon switch the ones the press got and the gray is what has been at the press events?

In that case, I wonder if it's tied to the color?

Airbar

Neo Member
Had a similar issue with the Wii U GamePad. Would always desync when I was in the living room due to interference from my TV receiver.

Demo units at preview events didn't suffer from this. It must have already been fixed, but yet to be installed on factory sealed units.

Spaghetti

Stuck a Pro Controller onto my preorder for now. It's kind of a dumb move to give Nintendo MORE money for a potential firmware/hardware fuck up, but whatever. I just want to play Zelda in peace on launch day.

psyfi

Banned
I'm planning on playing in handheld mode 90% of the time, but damn, this is such a stupid oversight on Nintendo's part. They better fix this ASAP.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wat if this is a meta-commentary about how good Goldeneye was with a single stick?

Also do we know if the controllers are bluetooth or another radio spectrum?

Could make sense with some having issues at home, but not in offices. Living rooms probably tend to be spacier.

Could be the interference thing too. Probably varies a lot from setting to setting.

Another thought was that maybe some just had a factory hardware defect. Which could also explain why some work fine and others don't.
You'd think they'd account for this though during testing phases. Lucklily for me my TV isn't too far from where I sit so I shouldn't run into this problem if that's the case.

Ta11geese

Am I crazy... or is the neon switch the ones the press got and the gray is what has been at the press events?

I mentioned this in another thread. The Switch can distinguish what color you are using so it is a possibility for sure.

You'd think they'd account for this though during testing phases. Lucklily for me my TV isn't too far from where I sit so I shouldn't run into this problem if that's the case.
Judging by the fact that almost every demo event they do even has life sized dioramas of spacious and roomy living rooms and diners to play a Switch in, they probably did account for this. It's likely a recent issue.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

The only difference between gray and colors will be a discreet id number. No software, no nothing. just a digital serial number.

maxcriden

Would still cost a lot with international shipping fees back and forth :\

Sending out a light weight package with tracking is $50 if not more... maybe Amazon would pay for it though.

Ah, sorry, I didn't think of that. Hopefully Amazon or NCL would pay.

from Jose: https://twitter.com/jose_otero/status/834794098494099458

2-3 times over roughly 20 hours of playtime.

Oh, that isn't too bad - especially if it could reconnect immediately. Thanks for the info!

Did Polygon, Kotaku - Jason, or Digital Chumps say how often it happened for them?

Nope he just mentioned it

He didn't have any issues until yesterday. Link would not respond to his commands

He also says that other people have had 4-5 issues within 1 hour

Eek... hopefully it reconnects very quickly.

Top Bottom