• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdered: Soul Suspect - 1080/30 on PS4 and X1...

Bheaze

Banned
Looks like the PS4 isn't as powerful as people proclaim it to be, the gap is closing, but IDGAF, getting the PC version at 60 FPS #TheRealDefinativeVersion

madmackem

Looks like the PS4 isn't as powerful as people proclaim it to be, the gap is closing, but IDGAF, getting the PC version at 60 FPS #TheRealDefinativeVersion

What do you mean proclaimin? we know what the raw specs are its facts rather than opinion. Its just the gap looked even wider than we knew.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt the devs put in much effort in porting this cross gen game. Wasn't it supposed to be just PS3/360/PC at first? This was also a game that was cancelled and revived.

Kariodude

Banned
Or you know, limitations of the engine. Just because they can make the game run on PS4 and XB1 doesn't automatically mean they get a bunch of added effects for free. Someone still has to program that in and make sure it works. And if their engine / budgets don't allow for that, then it's not happening.

They were developing it for PC too, so it's highly doubtful that their engine is limited to 30 fps. And I know they don't get added effects for free, but that's the whole point. If you're going to make a cross-gen game, put work into it to get those added effects or don't even bother.

They were developing it for PC too, so it's highly doubtful that their engine is limited to 30 fps. And I know they don't get added effects for free, but that's the whole point. If you're going to make a cross-gen game, put work into it to get those added effects or don't even bother.

If their budgets weren't allowing for more then doing an upscaled port that's what you're going to get. They don't have a magical tank of infinite money, it's cost/benefit. How much money they expect to gain on making it cross-gen compared to what it would cost.

Cross-gen games aren't going to be super duper looking just because they are on better hardware. It's going to be sharper, high resolution, better textures and that's it. And it will stay like that until developers ditch the previous generation.

$50 PS3/360PC, $60 PS4/XBO. The game was $34 pre-order on PC digital a while back, I think.
Ick. I understand why the newgen versions are $10 more but it's quite patronizing. Banking in on "dat new hardware experience" worth the extra cash? Sounds like something marketing would play up. If you're going to charge more to play on the new hardware at least make it optimized for that (or originally designed for it) and this was originally announced as a past-gen title.

Anyone looking for a hardware warring excuse based on both versions being 1080p for this one game needs some professional help, especially given 1080/30steady is what we should all be demanding as a minimum for absolutely every new release. "SEE, M:SS IS 1080p FOR BOTH!" doesn't seem like a very potent battle cry.

Will wait for reviews. It looks like it has some promise as some sort of weird Heavy Rain-meets-Fatal Frame thing. Graphics seem appropriate for its style and I respect attempts at unique presentations like this. At worst it looks like the sort of thing that'll end up on PS+ down the road.

StuBurns

Banned
Next-gen tax is disgusting, and moronic. Maybe if you're Metal Gear, but this game is going to completely bomb anyway, you're just going to piss off a handful of potential day oners, and get them to wait a month for a price slash.

Piggus

Wow, sounds like you really put a lot of thought into this. /golfclap

The only thing worse than a PC elitist is a PC elitist who doesn't even have a basic understanding of computer hardware/spec differences. SMFH

Zarx

Next-gen tax is disgusting, and moronic. Maybe if you're Metal Gear, but this game is going to completely bomb anyway, you're just going to piss off a handful of potential day oners, and get them to wait a month for a price slash.

Don't think of it as a "next-gen tax" think of it as a last-gen discount. I mean $60 is the standard price for new console releases. It's not like they are charging $70 on the new boxes.

Autofokus

I can already see the explosion in the distance (not based on this news though). Will probably pick it up at the inevitable 20 bucks bomba-price.

Bheaze

Banned
Wow, sounds like you really put a lot of thought into this. /golfclap

The only thing worse than a PC elitist is a PC elitist who doesn't even have a basic understanding of computer hardware/spec differences. SMFH

LMFAO XD Looks like I hit a nerve, I'm 100% confident I know a lot more about hardware, APIs, development tools, etc than you. #Baithasbetaken,

Piggus

LMFAO XD Looks like I hit a nerve, I'm 100% confident I know a lot more about hardware, APIs, development tools, etc than you. #Baithasbetaken,

Your stupid post suggests otherwise. Instead of trying to troll people and looking like a dumbass maybe you should use your knowledge to help improve the discussion. Just a thought.

NHale

I didn't know Albert Penello had an alt account on GAF. Was his main account banned?

EGM1966

Expected for this type of title. They're clearly not going to try and max out either console or invest further just to get more out of PS4 for this level of cross-gen title.

curlycare

I was interested in the game, but now that Square seems to be going for parity at the expense of the PS4 version, I won't be paying a full price for the game. Hopefully it at least takes advantage of the available hardware for better effects.

Those consumer rights.

Atlas157

Just ignore him guys, he'll be gone soon.

About it being 30fps on PS4, I'm 100% sure it can run the game at 60fps without dips, so I don't know why they limited it.

Parity maybe?

Melchiah

Of course they aren't. It's a 360 / PS3 game upscaled. What did you expect? They aren't going to make an entirely new engine for the new consoles, it would be a crazy waste of money.

And Square-Enix is not being evil by going "Yo, upscale the game to 1080P and make it a stable 30", they are saying "What can we afford to do?". It's not like they are actively out to hurt you, Sony or anyone.

Tomb Raider was a PS3/360 game as well, yet it took advantage of the available hardware.

EDIT.2: Come to think of it, both games are published by Square, and TR sold twice more on the PS4, eventhough the userbase difference wasn't as much, so... [tinfoil_hat_mode] ...perhaps they don't want the XB1 sales to drag?

EDIT:
Those consumer rights.

I'll be practising my consumer rights, and paying less for a game that takes less advantage of the hardware. ;)

thelastword

Banned
Just ignore him guys, he'll be gone soon.

About it being 30fps on PS4, I'm 100% sure it can run the game at 60fps without dips, so I don't know why they limited it.

Parity maybe?

Now I know what type of game it is, but I don't like the idea of devs capping games at 30fps, since this whole judder talk I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Jawmuncher

If you're on consoles locked 30FPS is better than dips or chugs to higher or lower frames. Sure 60FPS is optimal but when we start complaining about the 30FPS as well it's just a problem. This isn't DMC were talking about here. True the case here is probably lazy porting of the title but it's better than being a even worse port.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I don't mind it being 30fps due to the type of game it is but it better be locked with no dips. The frame rate mess on THIEF is a joke and it's ruined parts for me.

Tomb Raider was a PS3/360 game as well, yet it took advantage of the available hardware.

EDIT.2: Come to think of it, both games are published by Square, and TR sold twice more on the PS4, eventhough the userbase difference wasn't as much, so... [tinfoil_hat_mode] ...perhaps they don't want the XB1 sales to drag?

EDIT:

I'll be practising my consumer rights, and paying less for a game that takes less advantage of the hardware. ;)

Square-Enix is a business, and it is in their interest to make money. All of it. They're not going to do any stupid tinfoil hat crap.

We don't know the situation, but maybe Airtights engine (or is it UE3?) is not capable of more, or the budget simply didn't allow for anything else but 1080/30, it's not like the developers don't want to do more but if their contract says X amount of dollars and time, then that's what they have to play with.

And if you aren't going to be buying any third party titles that don't take advantage of the console, then you aren't buying any at all. Everything is made based around time and budget, not "what is possible, who should we screw with".

Vashetti

Banned
Man, did the mods recently allow an influx of new members?

Not sure if I'm at GAF or GameFAQs going by some of these junior posts.

driver116

Now I know what type of game it is, but I don't like the idea of devs capping games at 30fps, since this whole judder talk I hope this doesn't become a trend.

The PS4 would probably output above 40's without any kind of optimisation. By the sounds of it - the dev just doesn't want to do any optimising to hit 60's. Xbone probably the same, just with lower initial frames.

Bumhead

Banned
If they can't run a current-gen game at 60fps, would does it bode for game titles when the cross-gen development is dropped entirely?

Might want to be careful with that use of the word "can't".

I feel like it's a slightly disengenuous suggestion to make that the consoles "can't" run games at 60fps everytime it's announced that a certain game doesn't.

There are potentially any number of reasons why this game is capped at 30fps that don't necessarily equate to "consoles can't hit 60". I'd wager that allocating extra resource to push for 60fps in a cross generation game that they feel doesn't need it and wouldn't be of significant benefit to the majority of their consumers wasn't made a priority.

Bheaze

Banned
Your stupid post suggests otherwise. Instead of trying to troll people and looking like a dumbass maybe you should use your knowledge to help improve the discussion. Just a thought.

PS4 just ain't powerful enough, just like with Thief, only ran at 9 FPS at times *Shakes head*

SJRB

Gold Member

PS4 just ain't powerful enough, just like with Thief, only ran at 9 FPS at times *Shakes head*

I can't really tell if you're just pushing a shitty joke a bit too far or if you're actually serious.

edit: judging by your post history you're actually serious. Pretty embarrassing.

Melchiah

Square-Enix is a business, and it is in their interest to make money. All of it. They're not going to do any stupid tinfoil hat crap.

We don't know the situation, but maybe Airtights engine (or is it UE3?) is not capable of more, or the budget simply didn't allow for anything else but 1080/30, it's not like the developers don't want to do more but if their contract says X amount of dollars and time, then that's what they have to play with.

And if you aren't going to be buying any third party titles that don't take advantage of the console, then you aren't buying any at all. Everything is made based around time and budget, not "what is possible, who should we screw with".

Given the media coverage on the Tomb Raider differences, I imagine it affected the game's sales on the XB1 to some extent. Whether the PS4 sales compensated for that is unknown to me.

Well, I didn't say I wasn't going to buy the game at all, and considering how most of the 3rd party games have so far been on the platforms, I don't think that would be a problem.

w00zey

when almost every game is 1080p native for both systems half of this forum is going to lose their shit and call developers lazy. As if people have never been through generation cycles and watched programmers do their magic.

Wynnebeck

Banned
FIrst Trials and now this? I knew the PS4 wasn't as powerful as everyone kept making it sound. Once the development tools for Xbox One matures, we'll see who gets the last laugh in the end.

koutoru

If they decided to "lock" the frame rate at 30, I expect both the Xbox One and PS4 to run at 30 fps constantly.
Otherwise, it's not locking the frame rate, it's just capping it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unless your game is a fuck huge open world game, there is no reason for crossgen games not to be 1080p/60fps on the current gen consoles.

The PS4/X1 aren't as powerful as you think they are, especially on the CPU side. Sure, Murdered isn't exactly the visual ceiling for 1080p30 games, but the notion that the current-gen consoles can do 1080p60 at the flip of a switch in most cases and it's those darn lazy devs who are holding back a 60fps renaissance is more than a little fanciful.

TomShoe

Banned
FIrst Trials and now this? I knew the PS4 wasn't as powerful as everyone kept making it sound. Once the development tools for Xbox One matures, we'll see who gets the last laugh in the end.

Some developers shoot for parity for a number of reasons. Corporate policy, not pissing off Sony/Microsoft, the same team works in both versions, ease of porting etc. Not to mention this is an old, upgraded title. If Dead Nation got an Xbox port, it would be exactly the same.

Alienous

Locked at 30fps gives the impression both could do more, and in that scenario the PS4 version would almost certainly run at a higher framerate, perhaps not 60fps consistently though.

Anon67

Cool. 1080p on Xbox One. Hopefully this will be a common thing, but I'm too optimistic.
Though it does suck that the FPS is 30 FPS. I'd take 900p @60FPS on XB1 if possible.

Top Bottom