• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama announced for Steam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOME-MIST

extron emotia's are pretty pricey and not really all that worth it unless you're a major enthusiast. I just got rid of mine and it went within an hour of the posting for $175.

played a little mushihimesama hd arrange last night and forgot how much fun it is. actually considering practicing for the leaderboards which would lead to me buying the steam release :>

All three modes offer fulfilling experiences on their own. This release should have a "Novice" mode as well that can be played in conjunction with any of the game modes, although in my experience (I haven't played this game in particular), Novice mode in Cave's console ports translates to "insultingly easy" so it's not actually that much fun unless you're really really really bad at these sorts of games.

Novice combined with Ultra in Futari struck a good balance I thought.

Still really easy, but still compelling to play.

I was messing with Novice in Mushi HD last night for shits. I don't think there is a maniac or ultra mode for it. Possible I blew through the menu too quickly and didn't notice.

e: Nope, I was wrong. Just checked. Novice Original, Maniac, and Ultra are totally there.

SOME-MIST

I was messing with Novice in Mushi HD last night for shits. I don't think there is a maniac or ultra mode for it. Possible I blew through the menu too quickly and didn't notice.

e: Nope, I was wrong. Just checked. Novice Original, Maniac, and Ultra are totally there.

yea... I was gonna say, when it first released, I was competing on the novice ultra leaderboards with some of the GAF members on here. It was a lot of fun since barely anyone played it and we were all on the board in a row...our original/maniac 1CCs didn't stack up since there were so many great players playing those modes and we were all scattered.

Messed around a bit with all the Novice modes now. Figured I'd write up some thoughts and impressions for anyone who is interested but intimidated by these games. Keep in mind the below is based on rough playthroughs of each difficulty, you do your thing however you want, etc etc.

So you've given Original/Original an honest shot (if not you really, really should) and decided it isn't happening for whatever reason. Before giving up on the game or genre entirely there is a Novice mode which could be the key to getting you over some of the humps and honing your skills.

I would NOT recommend going immediately to Novice/Original and instead would start with Novice/Maniac for a couple reasons.

Novice/Maniac does a decent job of throwing pressure at you but keeping it manageable. What I mean is that the bullet density will be quite high and scary, but the patterns are actually fairly kind to navigate which will give you good practice of executing under pressure, learning to find paths, and so on without beating you into the ground with it.

The other reason I would start with Novice/Maniac is that if you are still having a difficult time of it then you have the Novice/Original option to move down to the bare basic fundamentals of the game. Pressure is basically non-existent in Novice/Original until the final stage and even then a few well timed bombs makes it a walk in the park.

From there you have options of going back to Original/Original, or if you want to step up the pressure even more can give Novice/Ultra a go.

I would strongly recommend not messing with Novice and calling it good. Not all of CAVE's games have Novice modes and the quality of each one varies. At some point you will need to familiarize yourself with the difficulty ramps and patterns that the standard versions of the games use. That said, and as others have pointed out, Original/Original in Mushi1 is about as approachable as it gets for these games so don't necessarily sell yourself short and immediately run to Novice. Novice is good for gaining a familiarity but don't allow it to become a crutch.

Clicked into the thread because of the words Mushi Hime. ... Yeah, I don't know what this game is other than it has insects and it appears to be a scrolling shooter, which is classic. I'm down.

Wonko_C

Clicked into the thread because of the words Mushi Hime. ... Yeah, I don't know what this game is other than it has insects and it appears to be a scrolling shooter, which is classic. I'm down.

No need to change the name to "Bug Princess" confirmed.

For those who've played both Mushi's on arcade or console, how does the different modes of Mushi 1 compare to the sequel Futari difficulty wise? Watching a bit of original mode the bullet speed seemed to be closer to Futari ver1.0 than the slower ver1.5.

SonyToo!™;179290193 said:
For those who've played both Mushi's on arcade or console, how does the different modes of Mushi 1 compare to the sequel Futari difficulty wise? Watching a bit of original mode the bullet speed seemed to be closer to Futari ver1.0 than the slower ver1.5.

For original modes only:

Mushi 1 has fast bullets, but the game isn't as hard as it looks. Enemy behavior and location is very predictable and patterns aren't very dense. It's tense though because of the bullet speed.

That being said this one of CAVE's easiest games. This is actually a pretty reasonable game for beginners to start with.

Mushi 1 is a good deal easier than Futari.

Nsfw sidetrack-(don't Google image search) futari=/futanari. I ran across that one when futari first came out.

On topic-I like the original more in some ways than the sequel, but I do have to admit there is almost too much to pick from as far as versions go. Glad it's coming to steam and I hope it sells well enough for them to bring out all kinds of good stuff. A ddp/dangun fevron double pack would be great. I feel like somewhere the Xbox code for those guys sit waiting to be loved

sfried

lvzHGG0h.jpg
Tilt-monitors FTW! Thank God I have one!

Momentary

Banned
Really hope this exceeds their expectations sales wise. I'm king of apprehensive about this since most PC gamers find 20 bucks for a game like this to be expensive. Makes me sad.

shaowebb

Its famous for this.

Not even joking with the vid title either. It is legendarily hailed as the hardest thing ever in videogame history. Very few things ever challenge it. The game itself is one of the best bullethells ever made and something every player should own, but that true final boss Larsa...absolutely incredible. You HAVE to have a bomb to make it through one of the waves in particular.

Prepare for the legend. Here's a taste.
rPRKK7X.jpg

Nzyme32

Really hope this exceeds their expectations sales wise. I'm king of apprehensive about this since most PC gamers find 20 bucks for a game like this to be expensive. Makes me sad.

This is nonsense really considering how often the top titles on Steam are full priced and stay there for long periods of time.

McNum

Its famous for this.

Not even joking with the vid title either. It is legendarily hailed as the hardest thing ever in videogame history. Very few things ever challenge it. The game itself is one of the best bullethells ever made and something every player should own, but that true final boss Larsa...absolutely incredible. You HAVE to have a bomb to make it through one of the waves in particular.

rPRKK7X.jpg
Is that from this one or is that in the sequel?

microfolk

Is that from this one or is that in the sequel?

It's not real. :p

Or at least that's what I've read on the internet, I never faced the TLB of Mushihimesama (...yet)

And talking about the hardest boss let's not forget about Daioujou Death Label, when CAVE made it they didn't really expect anyone to clear it but after 7 years MON managed to do the impossible (and they were really really lucky too!)

SOME-MIST

the sequel. People are always confusing the original and Futari.
Edit: didn't realize the video he posted is futari since I didn't watch it, but the image is the original.

I wouldn't say it's the sequel..

cbwnfoddbk1pnalufv40.jpg

the player one color of the text is blue whereas all futari player one text (ver 1.0, 1.01, 1.5, bl) is green. plus the boss health meter at the bottom is as large as the top one instead of a sliver like in futari. the final pattern is more reminiscent of tlb ultra mushihimesama rather than larsa or spiritual larsa. you're right that they always confuse it though because the original site that hosted it has it listed as "futari"

It's not real. :p

pretty sure it is... and if not, the real last spread is even more difficult/just as difficult. the worst part of TLB is that bombs don't do damage and turn the boss invincible for seconds before you can do damage again with your shot/laser... which is around the same time the spread is reaching your ship again.

jonjonaug

Its famous for this.

rPRKK7X.jpg

Crazy thing about that video is that it isn't even the full fight. You only get the second half of the boss if you make it to the end without continuing.

https://youtu.be/Bbz_m2W87mA?t=1897

SOME-MIST

Crazy thing about that video is that it isn't even the full fight. You only get the second half of the boss if you make it to the end without continuing.

https://youtu.be/Bbz_m2W87mA?t=1897

The thing that confuses me about that video is that it says ver 1.5 ultra, but the 2nd part of the fight is spiritual larsa which iirc wasn't introduced until black label. I might be wrong, but I think that's bl god which is easier than any ultra mode. Granted I haven't been past the 3rd stage on 1 credit, but I've been working on it via 'another ver.' which is admittedly even easier since the bosses have less health

jonjonaug

The thing that confuses me about that video is that it says ver 1.5 ultra, but the 2nd part of the fight is spiritual larsa which iirc wasn't introduced until black label. I might be wrong, but I think that's bl god.

No, that's Ultra mode. You can tell from the part at the top of the screen, where it says "Ultra Mode".

Spiritual Larsa is a different TLB that was added to Black Label. The requirements are different to. Getting to the 2nd half of the Larsa fight in Ultra Mode of the original release only requires you to not continue. Getting to Spiritual Larsa in God Mode requires you to no-miss the entire game, otherwise the game simply ends once you're done with the first half of the fight.

An early clear of Spiritual Larsa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-P9A1tonKI

Using a strategy to no-miss the final pattern (and also no-missing everything else): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWD-GZP35u8

SOME-MIST

No, that's Ultra mode. You can tell from the part at the top of the screen, where it says "Ultra Mode".

ah yea, you're right. I just pulled up the gus stgweekly replay too (d'oh). I've obviously never been that far in ultra mode (lol) since it's even more rage inducing than any other mode and I quit after a day or two. the difficulty jump between maniac and ultra/god is so hilarious (even just the floating islands in the beginning of stage 1 are super frustrating because of those suicide bullets)

restart syndrome to the max

Risette

A Good Citizen
the score font on that screen is from the first game. way more bubbley than futari's

but it seems to be a pretty clear photoshop based on the aspect ratio

Zabi

Banned
I imported the Xbox 360 version of Fushihimesama Futari 1.5 and I consider it to be the best game I've ever played. This may not be the same game but I am nevertheless looking forward to it.

the score font on that screen is from the first game. way more bubbley than futari's

but it seems to be a pretty clear photoshop based on the aspect ratio

And the fact that you can't see the boss. For all the reputation CAVE has earned for filling the screen with bullets, the boss is never obscured by effects in any of their games I can think of, the anti-cheese shields on TFBs notwithstanding.

Momentary

Banned
This is nonsense really considering how often the top titles on Steam are full priced and stay there for long periods of time.

This is a STG. Not MGSV or Rocket League. How is it nonsense when you hear people complain about pricing on games like these all the time. Crimzon Clover had to dip into the sub $5 dollar and bundle range for it to finally break past 20,000 copies and into 100K. You had people griping over Raiden IV, XIIZEAL, and more recently Eschatos.

It's not nonsense. It's the truth for games like these. Only diehard fans will pick this up during it's initial sales window when released. I just hope it does really well since it's Cave and a popular STG. I'm hoping they break at least 15k on week one.

It irks me that people try to cheapen games like these.

PantsuJo

I bought them soley so I could spend more money on the game. I liked CC that much.

Anyways, thanks a million for bringing all these quality games to Steam as you have and as you will.
Crimson Clover is awesome imo. Pure shooter pleasure but without being stressful, only a storm of fire, metal and supescores. Oh and the music... :3
Maybe my favorite shmup on Steam, really.

Nzyme32

This is a STG. Not MGSV or Rocket League. How is it nonsense when you hear people complain about pricing on games like these all the time. Crimzon Clover had to dip into the sub $5 dollar and bundle range for it to finally break past 20,000 copies and into 100K. You had people griping over Raiden IV, XIIZEAL, and more recently Eschatos.

It's not nonsense. It's the truth for games like these. Only diehard fans will pick this up during it's initial sales window when released. I just hope it does really well since it's Cave and a popular STG. I'm hoping they break at least 15k on week one.

It irks me that people try to cheapen games like these.

I think I must have misread the original post I was replying to, because I agree considering the niche genre and that same niches penchant for wanting such games to be cheaper.

Momentary

Banned
Their loss; the new OST is phenomenal.

I agree with this. I can't believe that it's sitting at mixed reviews right now. There are only 6 people raiting it and one is griping about losing his high score. I'll write a short review for it right now in fact. The AST blows the OST out of the water.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
You shouldn't even be sure CAVE fans will buy the game.

I'm just sayin, if visual novel fans will pony up $250k to kickstart one of their games in a few hours, shmup fans who are used to paying out the nose for their genre of choice will probably support this.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm just sayin, if visual novel fans will pony up $250k to kickstart one of their games in a few hours, shmup fans who are used to paying out the nose for their genre of choice will probably support this.

You might be unpleasantly surprised to hear a lot of hardcore fans have already found pre-emptive rationalisations for not buying this PC port.

"

mdsfx

You might be unpleasantly surprised to hear a lot of hardcore fans have already found pre-emptive rationalisations for not buying this PC port.

"
That somewhat surprised me. Is this based on another release that had issues? If this was a a previously region free 360 release I might understand, but this was region locked and inaccessible for a lot of people unwilling to shell out the cash for a Japanese console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom