• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushroom 11 |OT| The fungus among us

m11_strip_new.jpg

Site | $14.99, PC/Mac/Linux | Steam, Humble, GOG
Releases October 15th
Launch Trailer | Gameplay Trailer | Teaser
Supported by Indie Fund (The Swapper, Antichamber, Her Story, Dear Esther, Duskers, Armello, Framed)
Yaj2ujW.gif
O235AyJ.gif
W7cdl5b.gif

Mold an amorphous organism into any shape by pruning its cells. New cells will immediately grow, allowing you to traverse a mysterious world across brain-twisting obstacles, overcome swarms of bizarre mutated creatures, and understand the true nature of the devastation from which you emerged

• Unique Puzzle-Platformer where players remove cells to allow growth, and prune themselves to traverse the landscape and solve its challenges.
  • A wide variety of novel puzzle techniques, based on the mushroom’s motion.
  • 7 vast worlds to explore, each comes with a unique boss to defeat.
  • Mushroom 11 has teamed up with Electronica supergroup the Future Sound of London for the game’s background music
Reviews
IGN - 9/10
Mushroom 11 captivates with its ability to make such a strange, unique mechanic feel so incredibly natural, but it’s in the clever applications of this system of motion that it hits its highest points. It’s an endlessly creative and exciting puzzle game that manages to make your failures just as fun and important as your accomplishments.
Game Revolution - 4/5
There's not much else to Mushroom 11 beyond the core movement mechanic, but the game is confident in its limited scope. It allows the simple and innovate control scheme to take center stage, and though it requires both patience and practice, it contributes greatly to the novelty of the puzzle platformer experience. If players fall into a few lava pits along the way, so be it. At least an overwhelming sense of accomplishment awaits the green organism at the end of each chapter.
Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
Mushroom 11 is a maddening, difficult, beautiful and smart bit of puzzle platforming. Each level is a series of set-pieces in a hauntingly ruined world, growing off the remains of humanity but far from dead.
RockPaperShotgun
It’s rare for a puzzle game to be truly original, but Mushroom 11 can claim that accolade. It applies its originality in smartly traditional ways, employing 2D physics puzzles in a new style. It’s glitchless, which is a rare treat, especially for a game that lets you break your blob into many parts and jam them in between rotating cogs and swinging platforms. It’s one of the best puzzle games in a very long time.
AV Club
Its real triumph, though, is in how it coaxes players to discover all of its little tricks and quirks via level and puzzle design that never dips below being consistently, delightfully intelligent. Considering that it’s only the second game from a relatively untested team, it’s a fantastic PC debut, and one that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as other members of that aforementioned physics puzzler hall of fame.

Really excited for this. A lot of previews compared the game to Braid and Portal in terms of how it explores its mechanics in interesting ways, I'm really hoping it lives up to the hype

PaulloDEC

Looking forward to checking this out. I remember seeing some fairly finished-looking video ages ago, so I'm guessing it's probably a pretty polished product by now.

Ionic

I played it at PAX East... 2 years ago I think. It was one of the funnest games I played there. This is an obvious pick up for me.

Strong praise from RPS
It’s rare for a puzzle game to be truly original, but Mushroom 11 can claim that accolade. It applies its originality in smartly traditional ways, employing 2D physics puzzles in a new style. It’s glitchless, which is a rare treat, especially for a game that lets you break your blob into many parts and jam them in between rotating cogs and swinging platforms. It’s one of the best puzzle games in a very long time.

Anyone buy this on the humble store yet? I pre-ordered this on humble a while back and my page hasn't been updated to have a steam key (although I can download a drm free version of the game). Not sure if I just need to wait for a bit or if I should contact humble.

Realllllllly worth getting. Such a genuinely ingenious, enjoyable, intuitive game. Its weird in the best way.

note: I am biased, I helped fund it via Indie Fund and have seen it grow... but it still is realllllllly worth getting.

epmode

That RPS review has me interested even though this appears to be designed as a mobile game.

Screw it, I'll just buy on PC.

That RPS review has me interested even though this appears to be designed as a mobile game.

Screw it, I'll just buy on PC.
Actually a mobile version is in the works, but it's not like the game is simple or easy or compromised in any way

IMO, I'd say mouse is better than touch for this because you need to move the eraser a lot and make a lot of precise and careful slices. Plus your finger would obscure part of the screen

epmode

Actually a mobile version is in the works, but it's not like the game is simple or easy or compromised in any way

I just meant that videos made it look like touch input was the ideal way to play the game. I don't have anything against touchscreen games! ..except for the way Apple happily breaks them with their OS updates.

just finished the first chapter. very interesting and unique game so far. I actually think it would be annoying with touch controls with how fast you have to move the eraser.

epmode

just finished the first chapter. very interesting and unique game so far. I actually think it would be annoying with touch controls with how fast you have to move the eraser.

Yeah, now that I've played the game I'm not sure touch would be the way to go. I've had to switch between the normal input and the fine input pretty often. Some of those collectible things take some precision! How would that work on mobile?

Anyone buy this on the humble store yet? I pre-ordered this on humble a while back and my page hasn't been updated to have a steam key (although I can download a drm free version of the game). Not sure if I just need to wait for a bit or if I should contact humble.
Steam keys should be available now

Top Bottom