• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Must watch animes to a newcomer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp1990

Banned
So,i just saw the Ghost In The Shell MMO trailer,and i got really interest in the anime,mostly because it was font of inspiration for the Matrix movie.But,after going looking for more of it,i just perceived i never saw any anime,being some episodes of One Piece and Bleach the most i ever saw.So,guys,recommend me great animes,i'm open to any recommendation.

frontovik

Banned
I'd recommend Ghibli films to start:

Princess Mononoke
Castle in the Sky
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Porco Rosso

If you're looking at TV series:
Full Metal Alchemist
Berserk

Gurthang

Banned
Berserk
Mushishi
Gunslinger Girl
Planetes
Now and then here and there
Neon Genesis
Vision of Escaflowne
Haibane Renmei
Eureka Seven
Welcome to NHK

These are some of my favorites

Cowboy Bebop is a great start

I haven't watched it but I really want to. I'm just waiting for the blu rays though.

I recently got into anime again and I'd recommend

FMA Brotherhood for a good plot and great characters
Gurren Lagann for over the top fun
Samurai Champloo

KillGore

Anything Studio Ghibli
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Death Note
Attack on Titan
Cowboy Bebop
Yu Yu Hakusho

I'd like to recommend you my favorite, One Piece, but that's far too long for someone who's starting to watch anime.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well since you got this from the Ghost in the Shell MMO try watching the movies and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1st and 2nd Gig.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Some quick faves:

Bubblegum Crisis original OVA
Dirty Pair original OVA
Vampire Princess Miyu original OVA

and a personal favorite:

Rose Of Versailles

Some more!

Giant Robo (LOVE THIS)
GunBuster (so good)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
LOL, OP will hate you forever if he tries to watch ANYTHING on those lists. He wants something in the vein of Ghost in the Shell and you recommend him K-On - the movie.

If OP has such narrow tastes then let him decide on whats pass-worthy but for the most part those that made top billing are pretty good. (Except Kill la Kill why is that there?)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Watch Vision of Escaflowne, gorgeous art style, great story, AMAZING music, it's got romance as well as action and medieval mechs so you're covered no matter what you're into. It's also only 26 episodes so it doesn't outstay it's welcome. Still one of my faves:

u6ctN.png

tumblr_mknhm4zpQX1qmpg90o1_500.gif

DarkKyo

You need an anime with great action and story. My votes also go to Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. There are tons of other great ones but these two are the basics and a couple of the absolute best. The director of these shows, Shinichiro Watanabe, has a serious eye for pleasing both Japanese and western fans. I feel like Cowboy Bebop is more relatable to those in the West than to those in Japan to be honest.

If you're going to watch Bebop, do yourself a favor and watch the Bebop movie where it falls sequentially in the series. It takes place right after episode 22 and before episode 23. I feel like if you treat it like a normal but longer episode then you get more out of the ending of Bebop, but I'm not sure how popular that opinion would be with other fans.

My other recommendation would be to watch the NEW Evangelion movies. If you can pallet the old series then totally do that! But I find the newer movies(which tell the same story but quite a bit differently) to be faster paced with greater action sequences. Plus, the final movie isn't out yet so you'd get to watch some anime history unfold with everyone else once it comes out.

Amir0x

Banned
MONSTER

watch MONSTER

Completely easy way to slide into anime... it resists the more insane aspects of typical animes that can be so disorienting and leave so many people cold, and tells an extremely compelling story about a doctor who has to try to hunt down a serial killer.

If OP has such narrow tastes then let him decide on whats pass-worthy but for the most part those that made top billing are pretty good. (Except Kill la Kill why is that there?)

Hey, hey, I like K-On. In fact my first ban was because of K-On in a Sailor Moon thread, Gaf can't deal with my love for K-On, but that is another story. I'm just being realistic, OP would probability have waaaay more fun with stuff like Armitage III, Lily C.A.T. or Patlabor.

DarkKyo

Death Note, FMA: Brotherhood, and Attack on Titan are some other fantastic basics and are quite easy to get into thanks to interesting settings and concepts.

If you need weirder stories with sometimes quirkier action you might want to try Gurren Lagann, FLCL, or Kill la Kill.

Nikodemos

Inb4 Black Lagoon.

Oh, and you should watch Cowboy Bebop, Baccano! and Black Lagoon English-dubbed. The voicework is amazing.

Jormungand OTOH, I'm a bit iffy on. They really missed the mark on Koko and Jonah's voices. See whichever fits better, Japanese or English.

EDIT: Oh, and Spice and Wolf. Again, see whichever voices suit you best. I've seen it only in Japanese, so can't comment on the dub, but it's apparently pretty good as well.

mp1990

Banned
Thanks guys,some really great recommendations here ! Probably i'll start with Ghost in the Shell/Cowboy Beebop.Just some questions : there are any of these series that the manga is better ? And i should watch the FMA or FMA Brotherhood ?

Thanks guys,some really great recommendations here ! Probably i'll start with Ghost in the Shell/Cowboy Beebop.Just some questions : there are any of these series that the manga is better ? And i should watch the FMA or FMA Brotherhood ?

If you're only going to watch one watch Brotherhood. But if you intend to watch both I would say that you should watch the original first. I feel like it adapts the beginning portion of the story better than Brotherhood.

Breloom

Neo Member
All Ghibli Movies
Cowboy Bebop
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Baccano
Steins;Gate
Evangelion + EoE

That should be good enough of a start, I haven't seen the original FMA so I can't recommend that but Brotherhood was a masterpiece. Brotherhood is the faithful adaptation, the original splits off from the manga about half way through. Some people might recommend the evangelion rebuild movies but after seeing them, you won't want to watch the original since they differ quite a lot so give the original tv a series a try and make sure to watch End of Evangelion afterwards.

KillGore

Brotherhood is the faithful adaptation and the superior version.

Necrovex

MONSTER

watch MONSTER

Completely easy way to slide into anime... it resists the more insane aspects of typical animes that can be so disorienting and leave so many people cold, and tells an extremely compelling story about a doctor who has to try to hunt down a serial killer.

This is honestly the best answer for a newcomer. It is the peak of the medium.

Do you want to watch Game of Thrones but in space?

I think you do.

So watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Great show but it is extremely dry and slow paced. Nothing wrong with either of those if done right, but one have to really appreciate those elements in LotGH. If one is down with it, then it is one of the finest written shows in the medium. I really need to continue watching it. Stopped halfway.

Kieli

Kill la Kill coming in 2nd whereas HxH came in 8th?

Utter blasphemy.

Edit: LoGH is way more intelligent than Game of Thrones (I'm assuming you're referring to the TV show).

The book is not bad, though.

And i should watch the FMA or FMA Brotherhood ?

To explain, both are adaptations of the same source, but the former, FMA, was made before the source manga was complete or even really started its main plot, and thus creates its own ending. Brotherhood was an adaptation made as the source manga approached its end (though even then it only ended a month or so after the manga, which is crazy when you know about cartoon production times), and thus accurately adapted it. However, Brotherhood was made under the assumption that a large part of its audience would have already watched FMA, and thus goes through the events shared by both at a faster pace and in less detail than they deserved. Thus, people say that the first anime, FMA, handles those events better than Brotherhood, but the later events that Brotherhood adapts are generally considered more interesting than the path the first anime takes after it deviates from the manga.

For the sake of simplicity, though, I recommend just watching Brotherhood.

Anyway, one difficult thing about generally recommending anime is that it covers a huge variety of genres, so it's comparable to recommending books or movies without any genre being specified. For example, Fullmetal Alchemist is a young adult action adventure fantasy serialized series, Cowboy Bebop is an adult sci-fi episodic series that can adapt different genres in different episodes, Black Lagoon is basically an adult 80's action movie in episodic (in arcs) anime form, Death Note is a young adult murder drama serialized series, and Spice and Wolf is a young adult romantic medieval economics episodic series in arcs (yes, really).

Death Note, FMA: Brotherhood, and Attack on Titan are some other fantastic basics and are quite easy to get into thanks to interesting settings and concepts.

If you need weirder stories with sometimes quirkier action you might want to try Gurren Lagann, FLCL, or Kill la Kill.

The lack of Code Geass recommendations is palpable. Watch Code Geass, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Baka and Test (Both seasons. It's quite funny), and Mirai Nikki (Future Diary is the English name. Awesome opening and an interesting show.)

Kill la Kill coming in 2nd whereas HxH came in 8th?

Utter blasphemy.

Edit: LoGH is way more intelligent than Game of Thrones (I'm assuming you're referring to the TV show).

The book is not bad, though.
Seriously. I wasn't on Gaf at the time so I can't voice my complaints now. HxH at 8th place? Criminal.

Lagamorph

If you're even remotely into Sci Fi be sure to check out Outlaw Star and Nadesico as well. Along with Bubblegum Crisis.

Oh, and Persona 4 The Animation. Definitely watch Persona 4 The Animation.

Superflat

Since you said you were open to any recommendation I just made a list of whatever came to my head lol. Not a comprehensive list, but I liked all these:

Sci-fi
-Ghost in the Shell: Arise
-Cowboy Bebop
-Puella Magi Madoka Magica (trust me just stick with it)
-Noein
-Summer Wars (film)
-Bokurano
-Serial Experiments Lain

Drama
-Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
-Anohana
-Kids on the Slope
-Millenium Actress (film)
-Haibane Renmei
-Tokyo Godfathers
-Jin-roh (film)

Fantasy Drama/Action
-Tekkon Kinknreet (film)
-Princess Mononoke (film)
-Escaflowne
-Noragami
-Fate Zero
-Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works
-Attack on Titan
-Monogatari Series
-Mononoke (series)

Cray Action
-Sword of the Stranger
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
-Kill la Kill

Comedy
-Nichijou
-And Yet the Town Moves
-Minami-ke
-Love Lab

Doesn't fit anywhere but watch this
-Girls und Panzer

Just some questions : there are any of these series that the manga is better ?

I personally liked the manga of MONSTER better but I read it before watching, so you might not have that issue :p

It's a faithful adaptation though, if you're worried about deviations from the source material.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I thought Death Note was really good, but you'll probably like most of the stuff here that is recommended.

Although I did think Samurai Champloo was boring and I dropped it after 5 episodes.

The lack of Code Geass recommendations is palpable. Watch Code Geass, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Baka and Test (Both seasons. It's quite funny), and Mirai Nikki (Future Diary is the English name. Awesome opening and an interesting show.)

Eh, for Code Geass, I like the show well enough, but it feels like anime fans don't quite realize how weird that show would be to someone new to anime. Remember that it prominently features mechs, a bizarrely extravagant high school, girls in improbably short skirts, silly school comedy, weird plot twists, and tons of fanservice, while still asking the audience to take it seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom