• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mutants officially introduced to the MCU

ManaByte

Yes the word Mutation is officially used in the final episode of Ms Marvel and they play the X-Men 97 theme.

This is honoring the original vision for the character, who would’ve been a Mutant in the comics if not for Perlmutter’s Inhuman mandate to try to squash the X-Men and hurt Fox.

Ms. Marvel is officially the first character in the MCU to be a mutant.
8Ax46Wj.jpg

DCydvjq.jpg

Last edited:

ManaByte

People spent years claiming shit like Hugh Jackman jumping out of a portal or and Fox characters magically appearing after the Snap. Instead Feige introduces Mutants to the MCU like this:

Kev Kev

fuck yeah. i cant read this thread as i am in the middle of 'what if...?' atm (which is awesome). but ill catch up soon and im looking forward to what ever the rest of phase 4 has in store for us

After a decade+ of trying to sweep Mutants under the rug, they finally acknowledge they exist again. Truly stunning and brave of Disney.

sol_bad

People spent years claiming shit like Hugh Jackman jumping out of a portal or and Fox characters magically appearing after the Snap. Instead Feige introduces Mutants to the MCU like this:

It's what I've Saif for the past few years. Mutants will have always existed in the background of the MCU.

ManaByte

Marvel couldn't use Mutants or anything connected to F4 until March 19, 2019. Two months before Endgame and Endgame was finished. So only stuff put into production after Endgame could acknowledge any of it:

2021:
WandaVision: Nothing except for the House of M logo on the wine bottle.
Falcon & Winter Soldier: Had Madripoor & the Princess Bar, both previously owned by Fox through the X-Men rights.
Loki: Introduced Kang the Conquerer, previously owned by Fox through F4.
Black Widow: Had Ursa Major, but not specifically named as a Mutant. The character was owned by Fox.
Hawkeye: Echo. Fox claimed Echo due to being Thunderbird in the comics, a character who used the Phoenix Force.

2022:
First use of "Mutants" in the MCU in Ms. Marvel.

If it wasn't for COVID delaying Phase 4 more than a year (Black Widow was originally a 2019 release). We would've had Ms. Marvel in 2020 or early 2021 and it would've only been a little over a year since the Fox purchase for the first MCU Mutant.

Mistake

Get ready for them to be called "The Mutants" or something.

[/URL][/URL]
And this is how you know when people don’t read books, as “man” or “men” can still be used in place of “people,” even if it isn’t as common today. Ironic, considering her job
They legally couldn't acknowledge them until just a couple of years ago. If they even said the word "Mutant" or "Mutation" Fox could sue them.
I remember Marvel creating a giant legal mess over who gets this or that, and what they can do with it. And then certain rights expiring…it’s hard to keep up

Last edited:

Aggrotek

While I am happy we may finally get some new X Men stuff from this development, this feels so ham-fisted and forced for no reason. There were so many better opportunities and ways to do this.

ManaByte

While I am happy we may finally get some new X Men stuff from this development, this feels so ham-fisted and forced for no reason. There were so many better opportunities and ways to do this.

Yea because having the Fox cast jumping out of portals totally isn't ham-fisted.

sol_bad

No it doesn't.
Bringing them in by the multiverse would have been ham-fisted and forced for no reason. This is a very natural introduction on Ms. Marvel.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yea because having the Fox cast jumping out of portals totally isn't ham-fisted.

No it doesn't.
Bringing them in by the multiverse would have been ham-fisted and forced for no reason. This is a very natural introduction on Ms. Marvel.

I didn't see that poster, or anyone for that matter, suggest any of this. They just wrote they thought there were "better ways".

I don't mind them using Ms Marvel as the first mutant myself. But I would have preferred this be done in one of the films. Maybe mentioned in Black Panther 2 or something, perhaps a post-credits scene (even feature Kamala in the scene). It just feels a little too low of stakes to make the reveal in their teen-focused television show.

Aren't Wanda and Pietro originally mutants in the comics? I think I read that somewhere, maybe I'm misremembering.

If so, too bad they had to be made... whatever it is they are in the MCU :messenger_tears_of_joy:

bitbydeath

Did you even watch the Spider-Man movie? They’re from the Sony universe like the other villains and they’re immediately sent back. They’re not part of the MCU.
I’d still consider it part of the MCU since it features in the MCU.

America Chavez is from a different universe too.

sol_bad

I’d still consider it part of the MCU since it features in the MCU.

America Chavez is from a different universe too.

Even if you want to consider the Spider-Verse as part of the MCU (it's not), it's not even mentioned that Shriek is a mutant in Venom 2. Is it?

When people say introducing Mutants into the MCU, they mean the 616 universe. Not an offshoot reality where it doesn't mean anything.

bitbydeath

Even if you want to consider the Spider-Verse as part of the MCU (it's not), it's not even mentioned that Shriek is a mutant in Venom 2. Is it?

When people say introducing Mutants into the MCU, they mean the 616 universe. Not an offshoot reality where it doesn't mean anything.
I’d have to rewatch but I believe she was called a mutant at one point in the movie.

The rest sounds like splitting hairs, same example, would you consider America Chavez as part of the MCU or her not being from 616 mean she isn’t?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Aren't Wanda and Pietro originally mutants in the comics? I think I read that somewhere, maybe I'm misremembering.

If so, too bad they had to be made... whatever it is they are in the MCU :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yes. it's the X-Men, and I don't keep up with them and their entire narrative can radically change at any moment - but, last I read both were the children of Magneto, and both mutants themselves.

They were changed in the films at the time because of some kind of rights Fox had over the depiction of mutants in live action.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So you don’t count most of the Dr Strange film as MCU because it was a different universe?

Anything happening in the movie where Doctor Strange comes from is the MCU... Anything happening in another universe is not.

So venom coming to the MCU universe and then being sent back his own universe... He's still not MCU

bitbydeath

Anything happening in the movie where Doctor Strange comes from is the MCU... Anything happening in another universe is not.

So venom coming to the MCU universe and then being sent back his own universe... He's still not MCU
We could get alternates of the same characters in the MCU if that’s what you’re getting at, Brock even left a piece of Venom behind in 616 which will likely result in a new Venom, but that doesn’t mean outside of 616 isn’t MCU canon. It being directly involved in the MCU makes it MCU.

One more time, MCU

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I’d have to rewatch but I believe she was called a mutant at one point in the movie.

The rest sounds like splitting hairs, same example, would you consider America Chavez as part of the MCU or her not being from 616 mean she isn’t?

America is now part of the MCU because she is staying in the 616 universe. She didn't get sent back anywhere.

bitbydeath

America is now part of the MCU because she is staying in the 616 universe. She didn't get sent back anywhere.
Seems like a silly line to draw things at.
Dr Strange left 616 at the end of Dr Strange, you’re thinking would mean he’s no longer part of the MCU.

She’s not called a Mutant. Sony can’t use that word like Marvel couldn’t when Fox owned them.

Shriek calls herself a mutant in Venom 2. I very clearly remember that because of the legalities. Much like Marvel Studios being able to name drop Spider-Man in Dr. Strange 2 this may be something that Marvel gave the go ahead to Sony to use in Venom 2.

Top Bottom