• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MvCI DLC characters announced: Monster Hunter (F), Winter Soldier, Black Widow, Venom

FinKL

Well, if they showed a trailer with fully functioning characters, people would accuse them of 'withholding finished content'.

If they simply said nothing, people would complain about "having to buy a season pass without knowing what's in it."

Also, the characters may legit not be finished. Whenever Capcom shows something that's still a work in progress, people don't take it very well.

This is probably the safest way.
Yep imagine them showing Version 1 Black Widow that would be like Chun face debacle all over again lol

F31 Leopard

For Monster Hunter they should have used Guildmarm Sophia or Sailor Kathy since they're very recognizable characters with MH fans. Since they're just putting a hunter they could have used the male and female 10th anniversary Hunter with Bone equipment.

Giga Man

... Why would they announce them like this? And, why the ever-living fuck are there 2 Capcom characters and 4 Marvel characters?! This is a troll, right?!

This must be revenge for MvC1 where Capcom had 1 more character than Marvel, and MvC2 where Marvel had 2 Wolverines, isn't it?

Fuck me, I'm trying to joke, but I'm too damn mad to laugh. WHERE ARE THE CAPCOM CHARACTERS?!

Spy

So what's my only option should be paying out of pocket?
Options are good, the way FM is implemented, is not. Like I mentioned to another user, if the season pass included all of the stages for the season without locking the content to one user, I would be fine with it.

As it is now, SFV operates like a free to play game which is fine if you're a casual player but if you're not, expect to pay more money in the long run than if we simply got a yearly updated revision of the game.

Neoxon

... Why would they announce them like this? And, why the ever-living fuck are there 2 Capcom characters and 4 Marvel characters?! This is a troll, right?!

This must be revenge for MvC1 where Capcom had 1 more character than Marvel, and MvC2 where Marvel had 2 Wolverines, isn't it?

Fuck me, I'm trying to joke, but I'm too damn mad to laugh. WHERE ARE THE CAPCOM CHARACTERS?!
I always wondered the same thing back when I was playing MvC1 as a kid.

Bruh. It'll be okay. There should be more DLC characters next year and there could be more Capcom characters then.

I smell a fuck up on that announcement, there are 4 Marvel characters and only 2 Capcom.

Black Panther, Venom, Winter Soldier, Black Widow
Sigma, Monster Hunter?
Nah, general public don't know or remotely care about the Capcom characters.

In fact I think Marvel would be better off getting a Marvel fighting game made.

My friends who will play this at the house will say the same thing "who the fuck is that guy" to whatever Capcom characters they see outside of Ryu and Chun.

Cut the fat Marvel.

FSLink

Banned
There are literally zero positives to not having FM in this game. It's the exact same system except now your time investment isn't rewarded anywhere near as much.

Eh, there's one positive, we don't have to grind a lot of fight money for extra colors (I mean the colors that require a character level, not the 3-10 that require Survival mode completion). Though we'll see if there will be colors 5+.

Dahbomb

Wait, 6 characters in 3 months??

Wait, 4 Marvel but 2 Capcom characters only??

Wait, they couldn't launch the game with those characters instead of gouging the customer?

Wait, they didn't release any images with this PR release?

Capcom just frustrates me to no end.
LMAO this right here!

vg260

Also, this is so incredibly anticlimactic. Character reveals should be a bigger deal than this.

As long as they say who's coming so people have at least some clue as to what version to buy, it's fine with me.

People will still be anxious to see characters in-game just like they were after Capcom goofed with leaking the characters for UMvC3.

kikiribu

Eh, there's one positive, we don't have to grind a lot of fight money for extra colors (I mean the colors that require a character level, not the 3-10 that require Survival mode completion). Though we'll see if there will be colors 5+.
That's not a positive since at least the option is there in SFV. SFV allows you to buy any character with Fight Money. This is a step backward. It only becomes grindy after you finally finish all of the best ways to get the most FM.

Geeky

Wait, 6 characters in 3 months??

Wait, 4 Marvel but 2 Capcom characters only??

Wait, they couldn't launch the game with those characters instead of gouging the customer?

Wait, they didn't release any images with this PR release?

Capcom just frustrates me to no end.

Capcom's ad campaign leading up to release has been almost non-existent. If it wasn't for allowing people who had the hame early to stream I don't think I would have seen anything MVC related.

I hope they can do Venom Fang justice in the 3d model. Shuma Gorath was ok in MVC3, but some of the transitional animations were not as fluid as they were in 2D.

vg260

There are literally zero positives to not having FM in this game. It's the exact same system except now your time investment isn't rewarded anywhere near as much.

There should be positives. though. The FM system was supposed to be the reason for higher costume prices. I don't believe the $4 costume pricing in SFV is the necessity that people claimed. It was a sneaky way to justify higher prices as the norm and work them into this game.

Your contents not being tied to a single account is a pretty big positive actually.

Yes, this.

Spy

That's not a positive since at least the option is there in SFV. SFV allows you to buy any character with Fight Money. This is a step backward. It only becomes grindy after you finally finish all of the best ways to get the most FM.

How many of the 12 DLC characters can you purchase with fight money until it becomes a grind? Because after that, it's more than a grind. You're not getting the remaining unless you pay real money or are fine with "grinding" FM for months just to get one character. A single character is the equivalent of winning 1,000 online matches or doing the weekly challenges for 3 months.

huh, weird choice to launch uneven DLC characters, i guess season 2 will have 4 capcom and 2 Marvel.

Was also my guess first but i kinda hope they give away 2 Capcom characters for free for positive PR.

They can do with Capcom characters what they want without signing off with Marvel.

Zaverious

huh, weird choice to launch uneven DLC characters, i guess season 2 will have 4 capcom and 2 Marvel.

Doing more Capcom characters than Marvel seems like a dumb business decision given that the Marvel people are a hundred times more popular. They'll either have the same amount on each side or Marvel will have more I think.

Neoxon

Another thing that I remembered, the PC version is probably gonna get datamined to hell & back. On top of the .zip leak, I'd imagine that the surprise of Black Widow would have been spoiled by said leak.

Giga Man

The Marvel 3 hype was insane. Nothing from Capcom can top that game's advertising campaign.

Bruh. It'll be okay. There should be more DLC characters next year and there could be more Capcom characters then.

That's what I'm hoping for. Seeing a lopsided roster is gonna be such an eyesore, though. I say that, but if I buy this game, I'm probably gonna be very picky with who I buy anyway since I doubt there will be pairs at this point, and this game is looking to be very expensive in the long term.

dan2026

Still not a single X-men character. :(
Also Black Widow and Winter Soldier seem like super boring choices.
I like the characters but i can't see them being very interesting in a fighting game.

"Here is an exhibition match featuring a new character...Jedah!"

*three weeks later*

"btw, Firebrand and Dormammu are in this game"

*one week later*

"btw Ghost Rider is in this game"

*two weeks later*

"Okay, here's actual detailed gameplay of all of those guys."

NotLiquid

So the next season has to be 4 Capcom characters right?

I wonder if one of them will be a veteran or if it's all new. If Marvel gets a vet as part of that as well then next season's probably going to be tepid for Marvel fans; although I suspect we'll be getting way more than just 6 characters next year.

Black Widow from Slam Masters

#believe

Please?

vala

Why people assume season 2 will have only 6 characters?
Obviously, they are going to recycle a lot of characters from UMvsC3...

Ryce

Now that all the DLC characters have been announced, I wonder if they'll be released in thematic pairs (rather than Sigma and Black Panther releasing together simply because they were revealed first).

Black Panther & Monster Hunter (Valkandan hunters/trackers)
Venom & Sigma (infectious villains)
Winter Soldier & Black Widow (Cold War assassins/spies)

Im really starting to believe its capcom black Widow as a weird pull. The press release had a capcom, marvel, capcom, marvel order, and it would keep the rosters even.

Top Bottom