• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

my 360 f***** up my madden disc...did it melt/burn it? (pic inside)

Joe

now my discs are either in a system or in a case. i never leave them out, ever. there's no scratches on the disc at all, i cannot play a single game of madden anymore and i KNOW its not because of me.

now my 360 was manufactured in mid october, one of the earliest phases of 360 manufacturing. my system gets pretty freaking hot, and its pretty loud. if i just get done playing a game and i take the disc out the disc is warm/hot more on the HOT side.

so now out of nowhere my madden just completely stops working. i cant get more than a minute into a game and if i try to boot the disc from the dashboard the 360 makes all sorts of weird funky noises and wont boot it at all. so i take the disc out and i turn it over and theres this white/clearish blemish on it, and a piece of the plastic near the center ring is warped. i honestly think the 360 got too hot inside and caused the damage my disc.

as you can see in the picture there that white/clear blemish going from the middle ring outwards towards NE. and on the top of the NW part of the little middle ring you can see how it was warped. now im pretty sure (not 100%) that blemish wasnt there when i bought it but im not sure at all on the warping.

has this happened to anyone else? is this a known issue? if it matters, i lay my 360 horizantal and it has about 4 inches on each side for venitation.

Shompola

Banned
Wow that sucks to say the least. Hope MS realizes this problem and hires another DVD-player manufacturor. Sorry cant help more than that :(

Amir0x

Banned
Uhm, that's a built in function of 360. It is doing you a favour by destroying the shitty version of Madden you decided to put inside.

Joe

im assuming MS will fix my system but how long will the entire process take? also will they replace my game?

Zep

Banned
Is that the Madden you got winning the contest? If so I can see them giving you a new game or something in return.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Amir0x said:
Uhm, that's a built in function of 360. It is doing you a favour by destroying the shitty version of Madden you decided to put inside.

Should I pass on the Splinter Cell comment I could insert here? :D

Gattsu25

Banned
Joe said:
p12300085zg.th.jpg
What camera do you use? How much did it cost you?

Joe

Wakune said:
What camera do you use? How much did it cost you?
its a camera i borrowed from my brother. its a olympus c-740 (3.2mp). he bought it refurbed for less than $200.

Turnaround time on getting your console repaired/exchanged should be speedy quick provided everything goes smooth. There are a lot of funky variables in play that can make what should be a 1-week-or-less quick fix into a hellish ordeal (ie. poorly trained support reps, carrier error, service center bungling). But for the most part you should be fine so long as you clearly document your repair service request number on the waybill & packaging.

As for the game, MS can't provide you with a replacement copy of Madden NFL 06... flawed though it may be. And that was before it got melted & became unplayable. :lol

Your options with the game are as follows:

1) Exchange it with the retailer for a brand new copy of EA's NFL-exclusive wonder game.

2) Pony up an extra $20 to EA directly via their warranty program and get them to replace your damaged copy with a new one.

3) Raise a fuss with a call center supervisor in hopes that you'll score a replacement copy of an MS-published title as compensation for your damaged game disc.

If Option #1 fails and you manage to pull off a combo of #2 & #3, give yourself props.

Raistlin

Woah ... that's actually pretty scary.

That thing has got to be a fire risk if the internal termperature is sufficient to actually melt/warp a DVD.

BAIL OUT!

Danj

btrboyev said:
d-skins are your new friends. A must for x360 discs.

What is a "d-skin"? Is it some sort of protective coating for CDs/DVDs? If so, how does that work? Surely adding anything like that to a disc would unbalance it or something?

Ronok

Whilst my discs have never stoped working, back when I first got mine I used to have the same clearish white effects appearing and the disc was warm.... Now the marks dissapear, but, I'm not sure if it's causing permenant damage. :-/

Oh and I don't check my discs anymore... It might still be happening.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's a case problem and it is widespread. Some nubs put so much pressure on the disc they finally break. I am not kidding, stores are replacing a lot of games.

j^aws

It could be a combination of the 'nub' and 'hot' discs. The constant heating/ cooling of the disc will make it more susceptible to stress fractures...

This problem has come up a few times on the Xbox boards. Here's a couple for example:

http://forums.xbox.com/1681129/ShowPost.aspx

http://forums.xbox.com/1163022/ShowPost.aspx

As far as the nubs on the case, I've heard that some discs have received slight cracks from them being too tight in the case, but I don't think that's related to a melted/warped disc issue.

One guy reported getting the 3 flashing red lights after having this problem for a while, so you may want to give MS a call and explain what happened to them (1-800-4-MY-XBOX).

At the very least, maybe they'll give you another game (probably not Madden, though) or maybe you can talk them into letting you send back your 360 for another.

Joe

god damn it is a crack! i put my fingers on both sides of the "blemish" on the inner circle and it seperates very slightly! :(

so is this my fault or a manufacturing fault? is there something in the manual that im supposed to read that says not to use too much pressure? i feel so fuck owned. :(

im still gonna see if MS will "fix" my 360 (hopefully just give me a new one) because i still dont like the fact that its very loud and gets very hot.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Ramirez said:
My system left a huge circular scratch on my COD2 the other night,it's toast to say the least :|

Is your system horizontal or vertical?

issues like this makes me think MS should have no cut it so close with finalizing hardware and then releasing it.

Ramirez said:
My system left a huge circular scratch on my COD2 the other night,it's toast to say the least :|

Did you move the system at all while the disc was spinning? That seems to be the most common reason for scratched discs. Although some people have reported that their discs have become scratched even when not moved. I think perhaps in those cases, there might have been a hairline crack in the disc, like Joe's disc. Unfortunately, it's VERY easy to scratch your discs with the 360. Check out this link (especially the videos) :

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/news/Xbox-360-Game-Disc-Scratched.htm

This case causing discs to crack problem dates back to the Saturn. At one point, the games were placed too tightly that they would break if you simply tried taking them out. A friend never got the chance to play Shining Force 3 because of it.

jedimike

Joe said:
god damn it is a crack! i put my fingers on both sides of the "blemish" on the inner circle and it seperates very slightly! :(

so is this my fault or a manufacturing fault? is there something in the manual that im supposed to read that says not to use too much pressure? i feel so fuck owned. :(

im still gonna see if MS will "fix" my 360 (hopefully just give me a new one) because i still dont like the fact that its very loud and gets very hot.

There is nothing that Xbox 360 can do that will crack your disc. It most likely happened when you inserted or removed the game from the case. Take it back where you bought it.

Your 360 is a seperate issue. Hot and loud are very subjective. Understand that there's a lot of power (I'm talking electrons here folks) being sucked through that machine and it will be warm, maybe even very warm when you feel the back vents. If you can't put your hand on it because it is too hot, then that is definitely a problem.

My console is not what I would consider to be loud. Noticible, yes. Distracting, rarely. If it sounds like the disc is spinning.. constantly, there's a problem.

heavy liquid said:
Did you move the system at all while the disc was spinning? That seems to be the most common reason for scratched discs.]

My GC fell of its 3 foot high table while playing Soul Calibur 2. The disk popped out. I was asked to reinsert iit and everything was good again. not a single scratch on the disk, and the game resumed from the same place.

:)

<3

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
btrboyev said:
d-skins are like condoms for discs. Seriously they are a clear plastic layer that snaps on to the bottom of any disc.

http://www.d-skin.com/

I have a shitload of these, but always end up taking them off. Had one on my XP install disc and could hear strange noises coming from the drive. They doo work though.

I'd prefer something like this though.

Top Bottom