• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My brother just released his first album “Legend of a Journey”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to a couple of the samples on Google Play. It's not nearly as bad as some of the replies in this thread would make it seem. Dude is definitely going for some kind of experimental style but where he currently is with that style just isn't.. "it."

Mixing needs work and as do the singing aspects. Just tell him to keep working and practicing his style. Unique sound and flows have a halfway decent shot in making it in Underground Hip Hop. The whole Project Blowed movement is really into that stuff. It still needs to be refined though.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I mean does he really want constructive feedback? Cause he's not even close. Like there's nothing to construct upon, this is nothing. He has no concept of pitch, volume, or timbre, which are the components of sound. Tell him to DELETE EVERYTHING, go away for 7 years and hope no one remembers this when he tries again. He's still in ULTRA AMATEUR phase, which is not supposed to be recorded or put on youtube. He has overreached, massively.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I mean does he really want constructive feedback? Cause he's not even close. Like there's nothing to construct upon, this is nothing. He has no concept of pitch, volume, or timbre, which are the components of sound. Tell him to DELETE EVERYTHING, go away for 7 years and hope no one remembers this when he tries again. He's still in ULTRA AMATEUR phase, which is not supposed to be recorded or put on youtube. He has overreached, massively.
The cold hard truth right here.

whitehawk

Banned
This... Is bad. GAF is usually very kind when people post theirs or family members work. So if they call it out, it's bad. And yeah, this is really bad. It sounds like your brother never even listened back to the tracks after he mastered them. It sounds extremely unprofessional.

To be honest, I would rather listen to bangs: http://youtu.be/HmJbJs-9ST0
If it's that bad, you should not be putting your album on digital stores. The comments in this thread may seem mean, but they are the truth. Your brother shouldn't give up, but he needs to realize he needs to practice his craft before he puts himself out there. Rap is a lot more difficult than many people think, it takes a lot of skill to pull it off. Your brother could do it, but he needs to put in the work first.

Honestly this is good advice.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
How on earth did he get this onto google play? Is the approval process really that easy?
Anybody can do it through CDBaby which distributes your music regardless of quality to every distribution service on the Internet. Amazon, iTunes, you name it, it'll be on there for $40/album.

DukeBobby

Holy shit, GAF is brutal today.

Brutally honest.

Well said. It really is his only option.

I was trying to think of something funny to post, but then I actually listened to some of it and, well, there just aren't any words to describe how I'm feeling right now.

I think I was kind of sporting the wide-eyed Mark Wahlberg look from that one gif while I listened.

Cyan

Banned
Well should we lie and say it's great, so he can continue to make a fool of himself?

Of course people shouldn't pretend to like things they don't like. But we also don't need to go into a downward-spiraling jerk-circle where people try to one-up each other on assholery.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
It's much more tolerable if you read the OP as a Peter Molyneux announcement before experiencing the product.

GMM

Banned
This thread have me rolling on the floor, man it hilarious for several reasons.

For the OP:

Tell your brother that he really needs to re-evaluate if he wants to continue making music and if he wants to do so, he will need a big reality slap and undertake a lot of studying. The record is terrible in a ton of ways and your brother needs to be able to criticize his own work in a way harsher way. Also, do not produce and release music videos when they are of that quality, for his own sake mostly.

If your brother applies himself in the same manner through all his aspirations in life, he will be a success even if it may not be in the music industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom