• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My controversial idea about Nintendo and its future.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
First I have to say that my english os not very good because my natural speaked language is the catalan not the english.

A lot of people is scaried about Nintendo, others are making fun about the situation of the videogame company and the most fanaticals are waiting a revolution. I have to say that if you are part of these 3 groups you are wrong.

Simple Controller Design

Miyamoto said to GameSpy that he has doubts about what will be outed from the controller if the D-pad or the Analog stick, I believe that the left analog stick will be replaced for an Analog D-Pad. We know that PS2 has an analog D-pad and probably the 360 and the PS3 too but the idea of Nintendo could be a more simpler control pad but with the same functions.

And remember that Miyamoto ever designs the Nintendo controllers thinking on his own games.

¿Where is the Revolution?

The Revolution is part of the marketing scheme for selling the console, not a function of the console.

Non-Games

Nintendogs and the Brain Training are selling very good but they are not considered games but at the same times are interactive applications designed for fun. It seems that Nintendo has the idea of be a type of EA making games for new audiences, in DS we have seen the firsts games of this type but we can expect new games like the game that Miyamoto mentioned in the GameSpy about the bike and the work (I know that Miyamoto never mentioned a new game with a bike but he mentioned his garden before Pikmin and his Dog before Nintendogs).

¿But is Nintendo the same company that makes this type of games?

No, you only need to see things like EyeToy and Singstar for see how ideas that are not the typical videogames but they sell a lot of copies.

If we talk about the Non-Games Nintendo is not making a great revolution here, it is only a logical evolution of the market, the market needs more demography because the cost of the games are more higher with the time.

Low Cost System

Gamecube is a great console, it has more third partie support than Nintendo64, more variety of genres than N64 and a more better format than the cartridge format but all this are worse than Xbox and PS2.

With Gamecube Nintendo had a great idea, the idea of a low cost system that more people can buy, but they forgot things like the DVD-Video and the paid it.

Now with Revolution they are going to the low cost system, but with multimedia extras that the Gamecube hadn´t.

In the CPU they only need a PPC G5 2.3Ghz Single Core with multithreading and Out of Order Execution or a core Like the PPE or one of the Xenon cores (because this part in common that PS3 and 360 has a lot of games will use only the PPE in PS3 and one of the cores in Xenon).

For the GPU they need a GPU with the same Vertex Power than PS3 and 360 but with 3 times less power in the Fragment Power, the reason is the internal 480p of resolution that has 3 times less pixels than the 720p in resolution.

If Nintendo can sell in the 2006 a console with a price around the 150-200 dollars, with free online games and a good catalogue I believe that they can sell more than GCN.

What failed on GCN?

The US market and it´s tiny brothers the UK Market and the Australian market.

Why?

Xbox was launched with games for the core audience of the united states. A racer (Project Gotham), a "serious" fightning game (DOA 3) and the typical FPS (Halo) but Gamecube had 0 representants in these areas and this is why they losed the market war against Microsoft.

In conclusion, Nintendo can open a new market with new ideas and new games, they can create a new console that can be affordable for more people than PS3 and 360 without a bad technical level. But they will fail if the core gamer around the world that buys videogames now and will buy videogames in the next year is not interested on Nintendo because Nintendo doesn´t make products for them.

Thanks for reading me.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
you you you you you you you

are are are are are are are

gonna gonna

catch catch catch catch catch catch

hell hell hell helle hell

for for for for for for

this this this this

thread thread thread thread

Borys

Banned
I really like how the spanish written language features an upside-down question mark.

¿Why doesn't english?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
analog D-Pad? you mean that pressure sensitive D-PAD from the dual shock 2? HAUAHUAHUAHUAA

"non-games" (i hate this fucking term) can go straight to the trash

if they want to open to a new market, that's fine with me. i just wont be a part of it

Nightbringer

It is controversial because the people wants the supercontroller with a lot of functions and I said that the control pad will be a less button control pad with the same capabilities.

Nightbringer

analog D-Pad? you mean that pressure sensitive D-PAD from the dual shock 2? HAUAHUAHUAHUAA

Take the iPod disk instead of the normal D-Pad with 2 different levels of pressure and you will have a D-Pad with the same funcionality of the GCN analog stick.

COCKLES

being watched
I was going to wade into your ideas.

But you signed off your post with 'thanks for reading me' and thus melted my heart.

Damn I must be getting old...

Nightbringer

I ever used the thanks for reading me in the letters that I send to my clients and is the translation of "Gracias por leerme" from the spanish language, it is typical to use it in the business letters.

It is not a bye from the thread, only a thing for finishing the message.

Mupepe

Banned
Controversial? Umm, I think I missed something, did you edit all the controversy from your post? Most people already think the same way you do.

Take the iPod disk instead of the normal D-Pad with 2 different levels of pressure and you will have a D-Pad with the same funcionality of the GCN analog stick.
Wouldn't that contradict your simpler design? Seriously, that seems like it would be more intimidating to a non gamer than anything else

I think you could be very close to the truth. It sounds like the nintendo of now (good ideas which fail to excite the masses).
But I still hope its more than this because I hope Nintendo can excite the masses again.

Tarazet

Nightbringer said:
I ever used the thanks for reading me in the letters that I send to my clients and is the translation of "Gracias por leerme" from the spanish language, it is typical to use it in the business letters.

It is not a bye from the thread, only a thing for finishing the message.

It's not correct English.. but it's charming and makes you seem sincere. Your message left me with a favorable impression. But no, it's definitely not controversial for this board. The only thing I would say is that the remark that the GCN lacked a serious fighting game, FPS and racing game is only part true. SSBM and Metroid Prime were excellent examples of two of those genres, and they came fairly early in the console's lifespan.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nightbringer said:
¿Where is the Revolution?

The Revolution is part of the marketing scheme for selling the console, not a function of the console.

Actually, this is something I've been saying for a while. I also think Revolution is not going be so much about the different interface as it will be about the business model.

I think Nintendo is planning something different in terms of what videogames are marketed as, and they expect it to cause a revolution in the gaming industry in the same vein they did with the NES. It's still early to tell, but from what they codenamed the CPU and the GPU I think they have something up their sleeves on the business model side of things. I wouldn't be surprised if the machine itself was more conventional than revolutionary.

Top Bottom