• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My customer said, "...but I requested a woman"

Kev Kev

i feel like that's kind of a click-baity title but I don't know how else to summarize this situation in a topic title so... tl;dr is my customer said she wants a woman shopper, not a man, i thought it was bullshit and dropped the order, and nothing has come from it so its no big deal... just thought it was interesting situation to discuss.

so the full story... I shop for and deliver groceries during the day. i texted my next customer before i started shopping, a woman named Jessica, and I said that i was starting her order. she responded with basically, "i requested a woman shopper, it's fine I guess, but how do I make sure I get a woman in the future?", to which I responded, "I'm sorry? why? I don't understand?". they didn't respond to that.

i then checked the order to see if there were feminine hygiene products like tampons or pads, or maybe something else that would make them feel uncomfortable like a morning after pill, vibrator, pregnancy test, lube, whatever. and yes, I have shopped for and delivered all of those things to customers before. and it wasnt a big deal because we are fucking adults here lol... and those customers obviously were fine with it too. on this particular order, there were none of those types of items. just a bunch of food, beverages and some cleaning products. pretty standard publix grocery shopping list.

So anyway, after i didnt get a response from her, I called my head quarters to see if they could give her a woman shopper and make sure she always gets a woman in the future. but they said ,"no it doesn't work like that" which i fully expected is what they were going to say lol, but I was legitimately trying to be as cool about it as possible even tho I thought it was bullshit. i just wanted that customer to be happy. and yes, i also didnt want to shop for a woman who apparently had a problem with men... i still dont know why thp bc she never responded to me what the problem was.

in the end I had them drop the order for me. They made me fill out a complaint form in case it ever turns into anything (which it won't bc I don't give a shit) and I had them put her on my do not shop list so I don't get orders from her in the future. I get plenty of orders and have no problems making the money I need (and more usually), and she obviously didnt want me as a shopper, so i think it worked out best for everyone.

what do you think about this GAF? is this bullshit or not? should i have been more pissed about this? was i cool about it? is this no big deal? is she a sexist piece of shit? should i have just shopped the order and said nothing (and risked her giving me a hard time or a bad rating on the app just bc im a a man)? should i have shopped the order and pooped in one of her grocery bags? other questions, comments or smart ass remarks?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The customer is always right is something people need to forget.
It has never been true and it isn't the smart way to do business.
Exactly, the idea that "the customer is always right" ended long before my grandparents were even born with American business. It's made void with how many entitled jerks out there believe that they deserve something special and usually aren't willing to pay additional. That's anyone who's worked anywhere with customers has heard this, "May I speak with your manager/supervisor?" Which we all know - supervisor is just going to repeat the same policies you have and sometimes offer some kind of promo or freebie to keep rapport with the entitled idiot. In my job - I simply deny them the privilege of speaking with supervisors and insist they direct everything toward me (my supervisors approved this) and they either deal with it or they leave.

At what Kev Kev Kev Kev is saying there about customers trying to change the system to accommodate themselves; when encountering that I usually remind them: "I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way."

Ktotheroc

Neo Member
There's a lot of answers for this, but I'd just chalk it up to her having bad experiences with men and leave it at that. No real reason to let yourself think deeply about a situation where she's mentally deficient at least, and a sexist bitch at most.

Kev Kev

There's a lot of answers for this, but I'd just chalk it up to her having bad experiences with men and leave it at that. No real reason to let yourself think deeply about a situation where she's mentally deficient at least, and a sexist bitch at most.
yeah i agree she probably just had a bad experience in that past.

however ive had bad experiences with black people in my past (got beat up for no good reason other than i was white and they were feeling violent, i guess), but i would never project that bad experience onto every black person i come across, to the point that i didnt even want them doing services for me such as grocery delivery. and i wouldnt expect a black person to "just chalk it up to me having bad experiences with black people and not think too deeply about it". thats bullshit.

but yeah at the end of the day, this one isnt a big enough deal to take it any further. i did my part and left it alone, hell i even tried to cater to her fucking sexism lol. i just posted it here to have some discussion and a couple laughs about it (and maybe let off a bit of steam in the process).

Kev Kev

I'd let ya deliver both my groceries and my newborn child OP
tenor.gif

DESTROYA

You did nothing wrong , some people just suck.
As a small business owner I used to identify and try to get rid of unreasonable and hard to deal with people. I don’t need pain in the asses and people to waste my time .
She probably did you a favor.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Most likely is only comfortable around women. Or wanted a woman. IKTF.

Kev Kev

Maybe she has had bad experiences with a man or two and just feels safer without random men knowing where she lives. Could be as simple as that.
Scared of that and she signs up for a delivery service? Eehhhh, doesn’t make sense 😕

Dr Bass

Scared of that and she signs up for a delivery service? Eehhhh, doesn’t make sense 😕

Maybe it was the experience with the delivery service that made her request a woman. Think about it. You order some stuff, a guy shows up and you open the door, he says something stupid "Oh if I had known the customer would look like you I would have dressed better." blah blah. Something creepy. This person still need delivery for some reason, real or imagined. And just requests hey can you just send a woman next time?

There are plenty of scenarios where there would be a valid reason to ask that. It doesn't mean the person is crazy. On the other hand, it could be something based on total irrationality.

The only point I was trying to make was that it could be something simple and obvious. I thought your response was the right one, make sure you don't get her on your job anymore. And you even tried to set it up so she could only get a woman, which is probably above and beyond what most would do. Just don't take it personally whatsoever and move on. You did good.

Kev Kev

I refuse to see male doctors, dentists or barbers.
my doctor is a woman. my barber is sometimes woman and sometimes a man, they are pretty evenly split at that shop. my dentist is also a woman, but the one doing my root canal is a man. i have no preference. black, white, man, woman... all are capable of doing those jobs. same goes for grocery delivery

my doctor is a woman. my barber is sometimes woman and sometimes a man, they are pretty evenly split at that shop. my dentist is also a woman, but the one doing my root canal is a man. i have no preference. black, white, man, woman... all are capable of doing those jobs. same goes for grocery delivery

They absolutely are capable. For me it's just preference and began when I had to get a prostate exam. Drove 90 minutes to find a female proc. Don't want harry knuckles all up on my person.

Kev Kev

They absolutely are capable. For me it's just preference and began when I had to get a prostate exam. Drove 90 minutes to find a female proc. Don't want harry knuckles all up on my person.
what kind of doctor are you going to that is an hour and a half away and doesn't where gloves?

you sure that was a real doctor? how much did this "doctor" charge you :pie_roffles::pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

Not always? 🤔

Gay male barbers are the best. They know what looks good on a man, while being a man.

Nah I got a milk truck milf who smooshes her boobs on the back of my head while she cuts me. I'm all good on the barber front.

what kind of doctor are you going to that is an hour and a half away and doesn't where gloves?

you sure that was a real doctor? how much did this "doctor" charge you :pie_roffles::pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

I still don't want that chunky sausage link in me. Found a nice petite Italian woman. She was gentle and courteous.

Last edited:

Airola

Is this the ultimate form of "sorry but I'm a lesbian"?
That even in dealing groceries they'd rather say they wanted a woman to do it?

Catphish

Should have told her you identify as a woman, if she protested you could just call her a bigot and get her cancelled.
aaaaaaannd /thread

:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Edit: To Kev Kev Kev Kev , it sounds like you more or less handled it the best you could. I mean, she probably was being a douche, but who knows. Does it even matter enough for it go farther than it has? I suspect not. File under There are weird fuckers among us.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

aaaaaaannd /thread

:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Edit: To Kev Kev Kev Kev , it sounds like you more or less handled it the best you could. I mean, she probably was being a douche, but who knows. Does it even matter enough for it go farther than it has? I suspect not. File under There are weird fuckers among us.
yeah my thoughts exactly (not the identify as a woman thing lol, i mean the other part). it was just a peculiar little addition to my day i wanted to share. hadnt really experienced anything like that other than this one time when a woman seemed rather upset that i held the door open for her (again, peculiar bit of the day, and i definitely had a laugh with amongst buddies later that night, but nothing worth getting in a twist about)

You did nothing wrong, there will be people like that in any place in the world. You keep it professional, next time you can tell "We take orders as they come, we have a queue and work on it, first come first serve". It is good that you have the capability to remove x customers from your queue XD.

Elcid

Banned
The reason she wanted a woman is likely because she doesn’t want a strange man at her door that she has to open it for. She’s probably seen the many real horror stories where a woman opens a door to a man and he comes in and rapes her or ties her up and robs her, then rapes her, and or kills her. It happens all the God damn time. Can’t blame the woman for being cautious. It had nothing to do with feminine products or sexism, she’s just a scared woman living alone who doesn’t want to be a victim, especially now with how crazy and desperate people are getting with covid.

Whether she hates men or just fears us, I think she has a moral right to discriminate, as all of us do. I wouldnt take it personally.
If she wants to be picky, she should be prepared to wait to allow the business to accommodate her.

Top Bottom