• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My dog has cancer amd I dont know when "its time"

DKehoe

Fuck that was hard to do. I'm lucky to have such a wonderful dog. Nothing better. Say hi to Guiness for me Wesker.

I'm greatful that animal hospital was open on Christmas.

Well done on being there for him. It wasn’t the easy option but you made the right one for him.

I feel for you man, we had to put a dog down that had cancer a few years back. She was fine until she wasn't. I stayed with her until the end after the family said goodbye and left. I didn't want her to be alone. Had another dog that died of heart complications last May. Its sad but making the hard call is better for them than letting them suffer.

TrainedRage

Banned
I feel for you man, we had to put a dog down that had cancer a few years back. She was fine until she wasn't. I stayed with her until the end after the family said goodbye and left. I didn't want her to be alone. Had another dog that died of heart complications last May. Its sad but making the hard call is better for them than letting them suffer.
Yeah, I feel almost relieved for him. I was much more sad while taking him in and the few days before. It's just going to take some time getting used to him not being here.

I had to have our dog of 13 and a half years put down because of cancer on Saturday. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Now everyone thinks I'm a hardass for being the one who stepped up, but little do they know.... :messenger_loudly_crying:

mekes

Sorry you’ve had such a horrible day mate. You know when the time is right and you acted on it. Humans don’t even get to have that dignity so you did do right by him. From how you speak about him it’s clear you loved him and he knew it. Its completely horrible but you made the correct choices for him. I hope you are okay.

Malakhov

Banned
When he starts to suffer too much. I found out only on the last day for my German Shepherd. We woke up one morning and he didn't want to eat which wasn't normal for him, he never passed a meal, then he went outside and stayed laying down on the ice outside. I brought him back in and started to check him and noticed a lump under his chest that wasn't there at all recently

I finally was able to get a vet appointment which is hard last minute on a Saturday and it's when the vet told me the bad news. She told me we could maybe extend his life for a week or two on meds, that he had this for a while but he was a tough bastard so we had no clue at all.

We decided that it wasn't worth having him suffer for a week or two so I came out of the vet with only his leash. I was totally devastated. I wish I had kept him a little longer to do the things he loved the most with him but that would of been totally selfish.

He was the best damn dog I could ever have. It's been 3 years now and there isn't a week I don't think about him, he was the sweetest dog and I don't think I'll ever be able to find another like him

dan76

Well done for getting through it. You should be relieved for him, you did the right thing. He's not suffering anymore. Now it's up to you to get used to him not being around. A lot of people don't treat animals very well, you obviously cared and loved Wesker so he was a lucky pup and got a good life because of you.

Blade2.0

Didn't want to see this bump. I'm sorry buddy. I discovered one of my cat's bodies on Christmas 2007 once. Was not happy.

Malakhov

Banned
Look at it this way, will another dog find another loving owner like you? Get another dog that can have a great life with you, because so many don't have that.
Yeah I will once I sell the condo I bought when I divorced. The only dog I could get in here is a small one and I really want another German Shepherd. They're very special dogs

Amd likely won't help you, maybe if you ask Nvidia. ;)

Sorry I had an open joke and had to use it. But seriously I hope that you are doing ok since the unfortunate circumstances. Be sure to reach out to us on Gaf if you need any help coping with the loss.

I do find it alarming that Dogs in general are having growing cancer rates though. I think it may be changes to the food among other things. Cats as well.

TrainedRage

Banned
Amd likely won't help you, maybe if you ask Nvidia. ;)

Sorry I had an open joke and had to use it. But seriously I hope that you are doing ok since the unfortunate circumstances. Be sure to reach out to us on Gaf if you need any help coping with the loss.

I do find it alarming that Dogs in general are having growing cancer rates though. I think it may be changes to the food among other things. Cats as well.

I was waiting for that ;P

I agree with you. And I know there was a huge list that came out a while back of food brands that have led to heart disease. I was giving him one of those for a while (Fromm) or something. It makes me very upset that could have caused or helped his demise.

And the mother fuc*ing pet stores STILL sell those brands.

-----------------------

It was nice, the Animal Hospital I went to made a free paw print in clay for me to take home so I have that. But I like the idea of planting a tree or flower or something as a memorial.

Last edited:
I was waiting for that ;P

I agree with you. And I know there was a huge list that came out a while back of food brands that have led to heart disease. I was giving him one of those for a while (Fromm) or something. It makes me very upset that could have caused or helped his demise.

And the mother fuc*ing pet stores STILL sell those brands.

-----------------------

It was nice, the Animal Hospital I went to made a free paw print in clay for me to take home so I have that. But I like the idea of planting a tree or flower or something as a memorial.

Of course they do, the do the same for human food. If you want to avoid most health risks of any form from consumption you better spend 30% of your income on food, and that only applies if you make $60,000 a year or more single or combined, any lower and you ain't going to be able to it every day you're going to have to buy that frozen dinner or that fast food restaurant.

Between food, drinks and video game blue ray drives, everything is killing people and their pets these day!

It's extremely saddening that your beloved buddy has Cancer.. I've been in that situation years ago. Had a Gray husky that I named Balto, he was the joy of my world for 11 years until I also discovered that he had Cancer growing inside him. One of my hardest decisions was to let him go. I've always been too attached on my past pets and a reason why I don't own one anymore. Cherish your moments with him

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
English bulldog? Yeah those poor lads have a myriad of genetic defects. It doesn't help that the older a dog gets the higher the chance of he/she developing cancer. As for your question, you'll know when it is time. Anybody that has had pets all their life know this. The most humane thing you can do is not let your pet suffer more than it has to. We've had quite a few threads about users and their dogs that need to be put down on gaf and I might sound like a broken record but still. Take solace in the fact your dog lived a full loving life with you.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Sorry OP, that is heart breaking, especially on Christmas. I just found out today my oldest dog, about the same age as yours , has osteosarcoma on his spine, and likely only has a few weeks to live. Absolutely devastated to my core.

Worst part is my vet diagnosed him with essentially a torn ACL, so when I took him to different vet for surgery, he showed me on the xrays that my original vet had sent over, that his some of vertebrae was clearly withering away from the cancer.

How did my vet AND a certified radiologist miss this??? My untrained eyes can see it clearly on the radiographs. How did they diagnose him with a torn CCL? Incredibly frustrating, but it does not change the outcome.

Right now with anti inflammatories he is OK, but I would be lying if I said I'm not terrified of the symptoms that will manifest in the coming weeks. It may have not spread to his lungs yet, but it will. The cancer will eat at his spine until they become brittle and shatter, leaving him in agonizing pain. Just thinking about it is insufferable. This dog may as well be my first born child, and the dearest thing to me in my life. I just want to die today

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Just feed your dog real food now.
Treat it like a king and give it real cooked food, make it comfortable.
You'll know when it's time as well.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to hear this OP. Losing a friend is never easy.

I had a cat named Daisy who passed away as I was holding her in my arms. That wasn't a good day....

She lived to 18.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just went through this with our cat DEC 4, he had one of the roughest last days. Had to take him in after seizure, he had been having months of kidney failure, but was still pretty active, even playing some. Was very hard seeing him getting put down. I can just say that it does get better even that feeling of things will never be the same again. Sends a prayer your way, sorry for your loss.

Top Bottom