• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Fanboy market analysis of HD consoles... and then some

Status
Not open for further replies.

test_account

XP-39C²
Son of Godzilla said:
People want gaudy, expensive shit to impress their friends with. They want big speakers that sound big and big tvs that look big. Increasing resolution is not only meaningless, but counter-productive.

Its true that some people buy big and expencive things that they can impress their friends with, but about "increasing resolution is not only meaningless, but counter-productive", i doubt your friends would be impressed by the TV's picture quality if you should show off your brand new 50" LCD TV with a VHS tape that was recored with some home camera from 1987. If you put on Planet Earth Bluray version (i havnt watched it myself, but i've heard it got really good picture quality) i think your friends would be much more impressed. How is increased resolution counter-productive when it comes to resolution on movies? And of course it depends on the size of the TV (if you have a smaller HD TV compared to a big one a DVD will look better on the small TV), but since you mention big TVs i'm thinking about 42" and upwards.

pswii60 said:
I love how people state this as fact. Especially when we haven't played through the final versions of any of the upcoming games on either platform, and we still don't know their full 2008 line-ups either.

Sure PS3 could have the superior games this year, but it also very well might not. Time will tell, but you can't state it as a fact either way. Too Human might be the second coming for all we know, same with Banjo Kazooie. Gears 2 might be deadful. Or maybe LittleBigPlanet and Infamous will actually be the best things since sliced bread. But MGS4 will be a big let-down. We just don't know.

EDIT: My point is, Bioshock wasn't even factored in to 360's "great 2007 line-up" last year, until the reviews started pouring in and word of mouth started spreading. New IPs have the potential to be every bit as big as the returning franchises. After all, they were new IPs once, too.

If you take into consideration the number of well planned high budget games being released in 2008 for PS3 it just can't go wrong. If Killzone fails, Resistance 2 will "replace" it. If Infamous is bad which I seriously doubt there's a shiload of games to buy for the fall of 2008 for PS3.

And no Gears of War 2, Resistance 2 and MGS4 will not be bad, I don't even give a chance to that possibility. Also even if there's a surprise it seems more possible to come from the Sony camp with a game like LBP, and less from Microsoft with games like Too Human which seems really broken or Rare's Banjo imo.

pswii60

fortified_concept said:
If you take into consideration the number of well planned high budget games being released in 2008 for PS3 it just can't go wrong. If Killzone fails, Resistance 2 will "replace" it. If Infamous is bad which I seriously doubt there's a shiload of games to buy for the fall of 2008 for PS3.

And no Gears of War 2, Resistance 2 and MGS4 will not be bad, I don't even give a chance to that possibility. Also even if there's a surprise it seems more possible to come from the Sony camp with a game like LBP, and less from Microsoft with games like Too Human which seems really broken or Rare's Banjo imo.
Your post screams of fanboyism, so I'll stop trying to have a sensible conversation with you now.

I think the 360 will have some great games this year, but I don't see any of them pushing the console to a wider audience at all. It will more than likely be repeat gamers coming back for more, especially with the franchised games ala Gears 2. Halo Wars and banjo could make a bit of a difference, but I think a recycled Crash Bandicoot would open up the audience more than banjo would unfortunately. Case in point - Viva Pinata did nada to affect the demographic of the 360 user.

pswii60 said:
Your post screams of fanboyism, so I'll stop trying to have a sensible conversation with you now.

Awwww someone's bitter because his opinion doesn't match mine's. And it's not like you're the cradle of objective opinions. On the contrary, I'm telling it like it looks like now while you're the one hoping for miracle mega-surprise X360 title that will suddenly make obsolete PS3's huge lineup this year.

pswii60

SealSqueal said:
I think the 360 will have some great games this year, but I don't see any of them pushing the console to a wider audience at all. It will more than likely be repeat gamers coming back for more, especially with the franchised games ala Gears 2. Halo Wars and banjo could make a bit of a difference, but I think a recycled Crash Bandicoot would open up the audience more than banjo would unfortunately. Case in point - Viva Pinata did nada to affect the demographic of the 360 user.
The drop in price will do far more for the expanding of its demographic than any of the games coming out. PS3 seems to be going for the 360 action/shooting/racing demographic this year though, with games like Infamous, Resistance, KZ, GT etc. LittleBigPlanet will make a lot of noise though, and I'm confident it will be so popular that it will tip many people 'over the edge' who are sitting on the wall, but similarly, no one game is going to make a huge difference on either platform. It needs to be a combination of games and a mass market entry price point.
fortified_concept said:
Awwww someone's bitter because his opinion doesn't match mine's. And it's not like you're the cradle of objective opinions. On the contrary, I'm telling it like it looks like now, while you're the one hoping for the AAA mega-surprise X360 title that will suddenly make obsolete PS3's huge lineup this year.
:lol Absolutely couldn't give a shit, as I'm lucky enough to own all three consoles. You're the one missing out. I just don't like people stating things in a factual format like "PS3's 2008 line-up is superior in both quality and quantity" when the former at least is an unknown factor. I don't live in your world where only PS3 games can be good, and all 360 games look 'broken' etc. People have very short memories on GAF.

pswii60 said:
:lol Absolutely couldn't give a shit, as I'm lucky enough to own all three consoles. You're the one missing out. I just don't like people stating things in a factual format like "PS3's 2008 line-up is superior in both quality and quantity" when the former at least is an unknown factor. I don't live in your world where only PS3 games can be good, and all 360 games look 'broken' etc. People have very short memories on GAF.

Oh man this is a lame discussion. I said Too Human looks broken, not all X360 games. And I'm not the one grasping at straws hoping for a miracle. All I'm saying is that right now PS3 lineup definately looks superior. I'm sorry I'm more down to earth and don't take into consideration the ace on the sleeve X360 might have that will turn everything upside down.

And you're wrong I'm not missing on HD gaming. I sold my Wii months ago to get an X360 since the former was a dissapointment to me. OK gotta leave now before the Nintendo fans jump on me this time because my opinion is different than theirs.

pswii60 said:
The drop in price will do far more for the expanding of its demographic than any of the games coming out. PS3 seems to be going for the 360 action/shooting/racing demographic this year though, with games like Infamous, Resistance, KZ, GT etc. LittleBigPlanet will make a lot of noise though, and I'm confident it will be so popular that it will tip many people 'over the edge' who are sitting on the wall, but similarly, no one game is going to make a huge difference on either platform. It needs to be a combination of games and a mass market entry price point.

Yeah price will be a big factor for sure. It seems the PS3 is going straight for the 360s market with the coming line-up of titles, with the added benefit of LBP and Home possibly spicing things up a bit. I'm a believer in the concept of LBP, but I'll have to see it to believe when it comes to being the user-created megahit that it has so far been tagged. I certainly hope it does as I think it would do wonders for gaming in general.

PS3 has the added benefit of sentimentality as well, almost everyone has played a playstation at home or at a friends house at some time in their lives, and I see even "casual" gamers interest being peaked at the sight of a new GT, in PAL land anyway...bit of a stretch to say that will translate into sales (MS has certainly dented that effect by stealing many exclusives), but you never know.

Rolf NB

pswii60 said:
I agree that the quality assertions are unwarranted at this juncture, but it's true that there will be many more, and more diverse PS3 exclusives than XBox 360 exclusives this year, simply because Sony has far more first-party studios. There can still be hope that Microsoft has some as-of-yet unrevealed exclusives to pull out of the hat, but we know their first-party output will end up lower anyway.

It's unfair to expect any game on any system to be shit. So let's just say every exclusive on every system gets the same benefit of the doubt, and has the same inherent risk of getting fucked up somehow (schedule/budget/ambition out of whack or whatever). Until we've seen (reveiws of) everything, it remains an argument of quantity.

pswii60

fortified_concept said:
Oh man this is a lame discussion. I said Too Human looks broken, not all X360 games. And I'm not the one grasping at straws hoping for a miracle. All I'm saying is that right now PS3 lineup looks definately superior. I'm sorry I'm more down to earth and don't take into consideration the ace on the sleeve X360 might have that will turn everything upside down.

And you're wrong I'm not missing on HD gaming. I sold my Wii months ago to get an X360 since the former was a dissapointment for me. OK gotta leave now before the Nintendo fans jump on me this time because of my opinion.
Fair enough, but I don't see how I'm "grasping at straws hoping for a miracle"?!?! Where the fuck do you get that impression? I was just simply saying that in response to your initial comment, new IPs can be every bit as big, and sometimes bigger than existing and returning franchises. They can be huge, like Gears was, or do extremely well, like Mass Effect, Bioshock and Uncharted, (of course they can also fail miserably like Lair, Heavenly Sword, Viva Pinata etc.)

MikeB

Banned
SealSqueal said:
(MS has certainly dented that effect by stealing many exclusives)

What exclusive games were really "stolen" by Microsoft? I can only understand people mentioning games like GTA and DMC4, but both Rockstar and Capcom have been long time multi-platform developers, from GTA1 up to Sandreas I played on the PC so wouldn't call exclusive to the Playstation brand. The PS2 had such a big userbase advantage that it dwarfed the significance of the XBox platform, also due to the headstarts that's not the case yet. But I don't give Microsoft credit for this as they seem to have rushed things too much (killing the XBox too quickly, specs-wise the 360 could have been better thought out and especially with regard to built quality).

IMO one multi-platform game was "stolen" from the PS3 community however, namely Bioshock as this game was being worked on and planned for the PS3, but Microsoft paid for console exclusivity. I signed a PS3 petition for this game, hopefully BioShock 2 is better and gets a PS3 release.

Chrange

Banned
fortified_concept said:

Sony fans tried that 'if this game isn't the "PS3 savior" then we'll just talk about the next one' tactic with Lair - ignoring it and moving on to Heavenly Sword, then on to Uncharted when HS didn't light the world on fire.

MikeB

Banned
Chrange said:
Sony fans tried that 'if this game isn't the "PS3 savior" then we'll just talk about the next one' tactic with Lair - ignoring it and moving on to Heavenly Sword, then on to Uncharted when HS didn't light the world on fire.

I'm interested to know why people continuously claim this. I have followed many discussions and most people actually bring forward Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid as being the exclusive titles of most importance due to their proven franchise track records.

New franchises are always an experiment yet very welcome. Of the new franchises Motorstorm, Resistance: Fall of Man and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune have been very successful, Heavenly Sword will probably reach million seller status as well eventually, not bad at all IMO.

MikeB

Banned
MikeB said:
United Kingdom:

A MCV report (based on Chart Track data) for January sales reveals 360 games account for 16.0% of total full price game sales (units) and the PS3 accounts for 14.9% of sales. (For value this is 17.3% for the 360 and 16.9% for the PS3).

New concrete software sales figures are available for the UK during February (Source: MCV, Chart Track).

FULL PRICE FORMAT SHARE (units)
Xbox 360 - 18.4%
PS3 - 17.1%

FULL PRICE FORMAT SHARE (value)
Xbox 360 - 19.9%
PS3 - 19.6%

donny2112

MikeB said:
New concrete software sales figures are available for UK sales in February.

FULL PRICE FORMAT SHARE (units)
Xbox 360 - 18.4%
PS3 - 17.1%

FULL PRICE FORMAT SHARE (value)
Xbox 360 - 19.9%
PS3 - 19.6%

BUDGET FORMAT SHARE (units)
Xbox 360 - 6.9%

BUDGET FORMAT SHARE (value)
Xbox 360 - 9.0%

It does no one any good to look at only part of the picture.

MikeB

Banned
donny2112 said:
Xbox 360 - 6.9%

Xbox 360 - 9.0%

For the UK charts I have been comparing the sales of 360/PS3 multi-platform games, older budget games are likely only available on the 360.

Great analysis. I read it and I thought about it and i think you are on to something. I dont see how the 360 can comptete when the future is bluray.

People want the future, not the past. I dont know if its 120% or 240% but with bluray one thing is clear; the future is here, now. Lossless 7:1 pcm xfx quality. And thats what people want. Not a shooterbox.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dr von plutt said:
Lossless 7:1 pcm xfx quality. And thats what people want. Not a shooterbox.

Every time I stroll through the electronics section at Wal-mart, there's a gob of people asking about the Lossless 7:1 pcm xfx quality. Of course, they're almost always run clean out of stock!

urk said:
Every time I stroll through the electronics section at Wal-mart, there's a gob of people asking about the Lossless 7:1 pcm xfx quality. Of course, they're almost always run clean out of stock!

Yep its the future.

donny2112

MikeB said:
For the UK charts I have been comparing the sales of 360/PS3 multi-platform games,

Then why are you referencing the full percentage breakdown at all since you can't separate out just the multiplatform PS3/360 games?

MikeB

Banned
donny2112 said:
Then why are you referencing the full percentage breakdown at all since you can't separate out just the multiplatform PS3/360 games?

We will have to do with the best figures we have. The top selling games for February (UK) which are also on 360 and/or PS3:

2. Devil May Cry 4 (360, PS3) Cacom
4. Burnout Paradise (360, PS3) EA
5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360, PS3, PC, DS) Activision
6. Turok (360, PS3) Disney
8. FIFA ‘08 (PS2, 360, PS3, PSP, Wii, PC, DS) EA
10. The Simpsons Game (360, PS2, DS, WII, PSP, PS3) EA
11. Assassin’s Creed (PS3, 360) Ubisoft
14. WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008 (360, PS2, PS3, WII, PSP, DS) THQ
15. Need For Speed: Prostreet (360, PS2, PS3, Wii, PC, DS) EA
16. Conflict: Denied Ops (360, PS3, PC) Eidos
17. Ratatouille (DS, Wii, PS2, PS, PS3, 360, PC) THQ
18. The Club (360, PS3, PC) Sega
19. Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock (PS2, 360, PS3, Wii, PC) Activision

Not one 360/PS3 exclusive in the top 20 for February. So this should be a relatively representative month to compare how multi-platform games are doing for both platforms.

donny2112

MikeB said:
Not one 360/PS3 exclusive in the top 20 for February. So this should be a relatively representative month to compare how multi-platform games are doing for both platforms.

If the percentages only referenced games in the Top 20 (multi-format), you'd have a point.

gtj1092

donny2112 said:
Xbox 360 - 6.9%

Xbox 360 - 9.0%

There are no budget titles for PS3 though. So 360 wins 6.9% to 0%. There is no reason to compare them. You can only compare things that they are both are represented in.

Dr von plutt said:
Great analysis. I read it and I thought about it and i think you are on to something. I dont see how the 360 can comptete when the future is bluray.

People want the future, not the past. I dont know if its 120% or 240% but with bluray one thing is clear; the future is here, now. Lossless 7:1 pcm xfx quality. And thats what people want. Not a shooterbox.

The future is Wii , get used to it

There are no budget titles for PS3 though. So 360 wins 6.9% to 0%. There is no reason to compare them. You can only compare things that they are both are represented in.

notmyproblem.gif

donny2112

gtj1092 said:

Then the question is: What is being compared?

MikeB says he is comparing multi-platform games and then goes on to reference the percentages for all FULL PRICE games. That doesn't work, since the percentage is for all FULL PRICE games and not just the multi-platform ones. The more logical reason to reference the percentages is game sales in general. In that case, you would need to also include BUDGET games.

You can't have it both ways.

MikeB

Banned
donny2112 said:
Then the question is: What is being compared?

MikeB says he is comparing multi-platform games and then goes on to reference the percentages for all FULL PRICE games. That doesn't work, since the percentage is for all FULL PRICE games and not just the multi-platform ones. The more logical reason to reference the percentages is game sales in general. In that case, you would need to also include BUDGET games.

You can't have it both ways.

Not one full price PS3/360 exclusive made it into the overall top 20 for the month, so no huge sales for exclusives for that month to radically distort the overall sales ratio. Both platforms have some good exclusives but aren't ranked in the top 20.

IMO the units sale ratio clearly demonstrates the gap between PS3/360 multi-platform sales in comparison isn't that big overall. Unlike for the rest of Europe DMC4 on the 360 did outperform the PS3 version, it was priced higher though on the PS3. This in part can explain why the ratio in value is even closer.

In any case the February figures are in line with January figures. PS3 software sells relatively well considering the 360 had a 1 year and 5 months headstart to build up its intsall base.

MikeB

Banned
gtj1092 said:

I still bought 3 budget and 2 full price PS2 games for my PS3 the last year though, so maybe some PS2 sell well for usage on the PS3 as well. (God of War 2 I would highly recommend)

gtj1092

MikeB said:
I still bought 3 budget and 2 full price PS2 games for my PS3 the last year though, so maybe some PS2 sell well for usage on the PS3 as well. (God of War 2 I would highly recommend)

Could be I just bought Rogue Galaxy and another copy of FF xII. I love me some JRPGs.

donny2112

MikeB said:
IMO the units sale ratio clearly demonstrates the gap between PS3/360 multi-platform sales in comparison isn't that big overall.

To use the FULL PRICE percentages to directly support that is fuzzy math. They don't directly correlate.

MikeB

Banned
donny2112 said:
To use the FULL PRICE percentages to directly support that is fuzzy math. They don't directly correlate.

So what would your conclusion be based on the provided data? Did full price multi-platform 360 games considerably outpeform PS3 versions in the UK for February? Or are you of the opinion these figures hold 0% value as an indicator? What major distorting factors would you be thinking about with regard to the provided February percentages?

donny2112

MikeB said:
So what would your conclusion be based on the provided data?

That the percentages shown indicate the unit and value marketshare for each console. i.e. Exactly what they are.

MikeB said:
Did full price multi-platform 360 games considerably outpeform PS3 versions in the UK for February?

We have no data here to make that determination.

MikeB said:
Or are you of the opinion these figures hold 0% value as an indicator?

These figures indicate what they are. You're trying to use them to cover things that they aren't (indicators of multi-platform breakdowns).

MikeB said:
What major distorting factors would you be thinking about with regard to the provided February percentages?

The fact that we don't have the underlying numbers for a true comparison. Even the Top 40 isn't near enough. PS2 and PC have almost zero presence on the Top 40 (individual formats) chart, yet they combined for 19.3% of the units in FULL PRICE and 36.7% of the units in BUDGET (< 24.99 pounds) games. There is obviously a lot going on collectively outside of the Top 40 weekly charts, much less a mucked-up combined format Top 20 chart for the month.

Personally, I am of the opinion that PS3 is making serious in-roads against the 360 in the U.K. and even greater success in mainland Europe. These monthly charts show that, even taking into account the BUDGET chart, that the PS3 isn't acting like a system that sells considerably less software in the U.K. than the 360, despite the userbase difference. That's a good sign for the PS3. However, it can't be directly correlated to multi-platform breakdowns, and if you are looking at overall software selling capability, you shouldn't look at the FULL PRICE chart only.

MikeB

Banned
@ donny2112

Personally, I am of the opinion that PS3 is making serious in-roads against the 360 in the U.K. and even greater success in mainland Europe.

On this we agree and is more or less the point.

and if you are looking at overall software selling capability, you shouldn't look at the FULL PRICE chart only.

Agreed we ideally would want figures on how many PS2 games PS3 owners are buying and how much money is spend on PSN content and a complete breakdown per game. But we will have to use the data available to us, it's not ideal but IMO pretty interesting and indicative nevertheless for full price disc based software (and considering the top 20 chart, mostly relates to multi-platform games).

MikeB

Banned
MikeB said:
A quote from Microsoft regarding February NPD figures:

“The Xbox 360 platform now has a U.S. installed base of 9.6 million, the PS3 has 3.8 million and the Wii has 8.1 million.”

Some interesting data provided by next-gen biz based on NPD data:

next-gen-npd-feb-2008_html_73ead2c2.gif

Despite the release of the 360 exclusive Lost Oddesey, 360 software sales did not achieve software sales in-line with install base advantage.

- The install base advantage ratio for the 360 is 2.52 according to Microsoft's NPD February figures.
- 360 software outsold PS3 software sales by only a 1.88 ratio based on value.

Rolf NB

MikeB said:
- The install base advantage ratio for the 360 is 2.52 according to Microsoft's NPD February figures.
Squatingyeti meltdown in 3, 2, 1 ...

MikeB

Banned
MikeB said:
Despite the release of the 360 exclusive Lost Oddesey, 360 software sales did not achieve software sales in-line with install base advantage.

So PS3 software sales had much better software sales ratios in Japan and Europe in February and even for the US PS3 software relatively outperformed 360 software based on install base.

This data seems to calm down fears (of mostly 360 fans it seems ;-) ) many people are only buying the PS3 for its Blu-Ray capabilities exclusively, or at least some people within such buyer's family are interested in playing games.

danwarb

MikeB said:
So PS3 software sales had much better software sales ratios in Japan and Europe in February and even for the US PS3 software relatively outperformed 360 software based on install base.

This data seems to calm down fears (of mostly 360 fans it seems ;-) ) many people are only buying the PS3 for its Blu-Ray capabilities exclusively, or at least some people within such buyer's family are interested in playing games.
Which is only natural, since PS3 has the smaller installed base.

Why do you put so much effort into PS3 promotion and Xbox 360 FUD distribution?

MikeB

Banned
danwarb said:
Which is only natural, since PS3 has the smaller installed base.

Why do you put so much effort into PS3 promotion and Xbox 360 FUD distribution?

Actually I think software sale ratios will improve for the PS3 this year as the install base increases, expecially when games like Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid are all on the market. I'm trying to be objective, please note the much better software sales ratios for the PS3 in Japan despite a much larger install base.

Some high profile multi-platform PS3/360 simultaneous releases:

World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 PS3 vs 360, more than 6:1 ratio, Devil May Cry 4 around 5:1 ratio, Dynasty Warriors 6 - 7:1 ratio.

So your assessment of smaller install bases resulting into better ratios doesn't not show for Japanese data.

With regard to FUD, I have read enough PS3 FUD on NeoGAF, this posting is intended to put things into perspective.

MikeB said:
Actually I think software sale ratios will improve for the PS3 this year as the install base increases, expecially when games like Final Fantasy

Where the hell does this come from? As awesome as FF this year would be, I highly doubt it will be out this year.

Dragon

Banned
Starchasing said:
The future is Wii , get used to it

"Market analysis of HD consoles"

The level of elitism that some Nintendo (and other fanboys I won't leave them out I promise) fans on this forum exude is hilarious.

Smash is awesome, Zelda sucks and Galaxy is awesome. That's my extent of knowledge of the Wii and that's about all I need.

But let me feel vindicated because my favorite inanimate object, that I hug at night and stick under my pillow so that no one steals it, is outselling everything else!

Yeah bitches, take that and that, you ain't cool till you pee your pants!

MikeB

Banned
Kestastrophe said:
Where the hell does this come from? As awesome as FF this year would be, I highly doubt it will be out this year.

What I meant with the statement above:
- I expect attach ratio to improve as install base increases this year.
- I expect this to happen especially when Final Fantasy XIII, Gran Turismo 5 and Metal Gear Solid 4 are all available (whenever this may be).

AkuMifune

Banned
Kestastrophe said:

I love how you deleted the other 3 games from his quote which will be released this year.

MikeB

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Contrary to the beliefs of Homer Simpson, two wrongs don't make a right.

You assume the OP is FUD, but IMO it's pretty fair and objective. In any case you can digest the provided information and come to your own conclusions.

MikeB

Banned
MikeB said:
Microsoft has been quiet with regard to European sales, but has cut 360 pricing which will help in the months ahead when GTA IV arrives for both platforms and anticipated games like Gran Turismo Prologue and Metal Gear Solid arrives exclusively for the PS3.

The initial 360 pricecut sales increase for the UK seems a little underwhelming considering the many different special offer bundles available.

The 360 saw a 36% sales increase (entry price £159.99 plus 2 free games), overall hardware sales were down except for the PS3 which enjoyed a 6% sales increase (entry price £284.99 at Amazon UK) for the week. (Source: ChartTrack week 11)

It's unclear if the 360 beats the PS3 for the week, but Amazon.co.uk bestsellers ranking currently (may be a poor indicator, but still interesting):

2) Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Preorder (PS3)
3) Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Preorder (360)
6) Grand Theft Auto 4 Preorder (PS3)
10) Grand Theft Auto 4 Preorder (360)
13) Playstation 3 (40GB)
15) Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Preorder (PS3)
19) Call of Duty 4 (PS3)
28) Xbox 360 Console (Includes: 20GB hard drive, wireless controller, ethernet cable, HD AV cable and headset) £189.99
32) Call of Duty 4 (360)
33) Halo 3 (360)
47) Army of Two (360)
49) Formula One Championship Edition (PS3)
50) Burnout Paradise (PS3)
51) Assassin's Creed (PS3)
57) Sony PlayStation 3 Console (40GB) with Gran Turismo Prologue Preorder (PS3)
61) Grand Theft Auto IV: Special Edition (PS3)
63)Frontlines: Fuel of War (Special Edition) (Xbox 360)
64) Everybody's Golf World Tour Preorder (PS3)
66) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)
69) Lego: Indiana Jones (PS3)
70) Xbox 360 Elite Console

All in stock or available for pre-order.

MikeB

Banned
From MCV:

Xbox 360 UK sales leap 36%

Price drop gives hardware a healthy pre-Easter boost; PS3 sales rise six per cent in same period

Official UK industry monitor ChartTrack has told MCV that Xbox 360 sales have risen 36 per cent since last Friday – when the platform holder sliced the ERP of the console to as little as £159.99.

The rise came in a period where other hardware struggled – with only PS3 enjoying a slight sales rise of six per cent, as every other console on the market dipped. Software sales also dropped week-on-week across the gamut of platforms – including 360.

The 360 jump couldn’t match the whopping 260 per cent rise Microsoft enjoyed after cutting the consoles price for the first time in August, 2007 – when it introduced the Elite model onto the market.

“During week 11, Xbox 360 enjoyed a 36 per cent jump on week 10, which is a nice refreshing uplift for the console” ChartTrack director Dorian Bloch told MCV. “That was just for the Friday and Saturday after the price cut. Microsoft will be especially pleased to see that the overall hardware market was down – that’s every format except PS3, which saw a very slight six per cent rise.

“We need to wait two or three more weeks to see if the 360 sales surge will carry on. I would predict that it will increase again over the Easter period. It’s a bit of an odd year for the industry.

Easter is early, and doesn’t coincide with the end of Q1 – when publishers traditionally release very big games – like it usually does.

“Software sales dipped slightly on 360 despite the rise in hardware sales, but that’s no surprise: the week before saw the release of big titles such as Army Of Two and Bully. And with hardcore games like that, their natural audience like to get their hands on them in their first week.

“The 260 per cent rise Xbox 360 enjoyed in August last year coincided with the introduction of Elite and Bioshock coming onto the market, which obviously gave it a massive boost.”

Microsoft lowered the price of all three Xbox SKUs last Friday.

The estimated retail price (ERP) for its entry-level Arcade SKU dipped to €199.99/£159.99 – a drop of €80/£50.

The mid-price console, Xbox 360 Pro, which includes a 20GB hard drive and one wireless controller, was given a new ERP of €269.99/£199.99 – down from €349.99/£249.99.

And the 120GB Xbox 360 Elite, was priced at €369.99/£259.99 – a saving of €80/£40.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29947/Xbox-360-UK-sales-leap-36

MikeB

Banned
Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Chart-Track director Dorian Bloch revealed:

"As for the rest of the hardware market, Sony's indefatigable PlayStation 2 was a surprise star performer. "The greatest surge was on PS2," Bloch said. "There was a lot of price promotion going on, with certain titles being well and truly flogged. It's now the calm before the high point of Easter."

So it seems that surpisingly the PS2 got the biggest boost!

So big boost for the PS2, a 36% pricecut boost for the 360 and 6% boost for the PS3, seems like DS, PSP and/or Wii sales took some hits considering the overall hardware sales were down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom