• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Fanboy market analysis of HD consoles... and then some

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheBranca18 said:
"Market analysis of HD consoles"

The level of elitism that some Nintendo (and other fanboys I won't leave them out I promise) fans on this forum exude is hilarious.

Smash is awesome, Zelda sucks and Galaxy is awesome. That's my extent of knowledge of the Wii and that's about all I need.

But let me feel vindicated because my favorite inanimate object, that I hug at night and stick under my pillow so that no one steals it, is outselling everything else!

Yeah bitches, take that and that, you ain't cool till you pee your pants!

There is nothing worst than an itch you cant scratch

AkuMifune said:
I love how you deleted the other 3 games from his quote which will be released this year.

I didn't "delete" the other games that he listed because those were all correct in their release dates. It is widely accepted that FF is not coming out this year, and I made a note of that. Thanks for tarding up the thread and trying to make into system wars......

MikeB

Banned
Starchasing said:
Its a skewed market analysis of HD consoles, what did you expect???

Please explain into detail, as I said I am open to constructive criticism and counter perspectives. Comments like this are just useless.

MikeB

Banned
Kestastrophe said:
I didn't "delete" the other games that he listed because those were all correct in their release dates. It is widely accepted that FF is not coming out this year, and I made a note of that. Thanks for tarding up the thread and trying to make into system wars......

I am open minded towards the possibility, no release date has been set. Very old Japanese demonstrations look quite advanced.

MikeB said:
I am open minded towards the possibility, no release date has been set. Very old Japanese demonstrations look quite advanced.
I would like for it to come out this year and it would finally give me an excuse to pick up a PS3, but I doubt it. It seems like Sony's 08 lineup is already so strong that they'll want to keep this one on the back burner.

MikeB

Banned
Kestastrophe said:
I would like for it to come out this year and it would finally give me an excuse to pick up a PS3, but I doubt it. It seems like Sony's 08 lineup is already so strong that they'll want to keep this one on the back burner.

Level 5 seems to have hope (IGN): "He feels that if a breakthrough title is released for the system, the current sales situation could change, and expressed the hope that Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid 4 would be released quickly (this interview was, presumably, conducted before the MGS4 release date announcement)."

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MikeB said:
Please explain into detail, as I said I am open to constructive criticism and counter perspectives. Comments like this are just useless.

It has been explained numerous times why your "analysis" is complete trash. At this point you're just bumping your thread to your own embarassment.

jarrod

Banned
MikeB said:
Actually I think software sale ratios will improve for the PS3 this year as the install base increases, expecially when games like Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid are all on the market. I'm trying to be objective, please note the much better software sales ratios for the PS3 in Japan despite a much larger install base.

Some high profile multi-platform PS3/360 simultaneous releases:

World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 PS3 vs 360, more than 6:1 ratio, Devil May Cry 4 around 5:1 ratio, Dynasty Warriors 6 - 7:1 ratio.

So your assessment of smaller install bases resulting into better ratios doesn't not show for Japanese data.
There's a sweet spot, but ratio arguments *do* inherently favor smaller bases. It tends to factor only when (1) the smaller base is still relatively healthy sized with decent market presence and shelfspace (2) there's an insurmountable disparity in userbase between platforms.

Comparing 360 to PS3 in Japan is something of a special case though, that doesn't really fit either criteria and really isn't applicable to comparison with the machines in western markets (where both platforms are doing appreciably well, and even leading some markets in software). A better comparison for platforms in Japan might be Wii vs PS2, where the rule actually holds for most simultaneous multiplatform releases (Powapuro, Basara, etc).

Chrange

Banned
MikeB said:
You assume the OP is FUD, but IMO it's pretty fair and objective. In any case you can digest the provided information and come to your own conclusions.

LOL - of course you think it's fair and objective - it's YOUR FUD.

Firewire

Banned
I think this HD console analysis is done really well. It has factual information to back it up as well, in most area's. Its a shame that people have to bash it because it does not conform to their wanted believes about any particular console.

MikeB

Banned
jarrod said:
A better comparison for platforms in Japan might be Wii vs PS2, where the rule actually holds for most simultaneous multiplatform releases (Powapuro, Basara, etc).

I don't think so, the PS2 in Japan lost its hype due to being pretty old and Wii and PS3. I do however think having a narrow software gerne diversity plays a significantly role, if you concentrate mainly on FPS/shooter games, naturally people who like FPS games buy the console and it can be expected a new high profile FPS/shooter performs relatively well compared to platforms serving more diverse game gernes.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MikeB said:

Well, every one of my posts in this thread for one. Others have made very thorough justification on why this opinion piece can't be assumed to be anything more than the wanderings of a fanboy. I mean, I love sales-age, but this it is not.

Sony has gained ground for sure but look how hard it is being pushed.

I just recently got in on a Sony credit card deal that offered 100 bucks off a PS3 if it was bought before the end of this month.

Also look at how many HDTV/PS3 deals that Best Buy, Circuit City and others have done. The 5 free blu-ray movie offer is another example of desperately trying to get the system sold. I guess you could also throw in the reconfiguring of the 26/60GB's into 40/80GB units and the free game of Motorstorm in there as well.

I'm not sure what the PS3's total sales figures would be like right now without all the bundling and special offers by retailers and Sony. It just seems like the special offers have never stopped since about three months after launch which was about the time everyone realized it wasn't selling like it should be.

I know we GAF'ers have definitely benefitted. :D

MikeB

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

I just recently got in on a Sony credit card deal that offered 100 bucks off a PS3 if it was bought before the end of this month.

Also look at how many HDTV/PS3 deals that Best Buy, Circuit City and others have done. The 5 free blu-ray movie offer is another example of desperately trying to get the system sold. I guess you could also throw in the reconfiguring of the 26/60GB's into 40/80GB units and the free game of Motorstorm in there as well.

I'm not sure what the PS3's total sales figures would be like right now without all the bundling and special offers by retailers and Sony. It just seems like the special offers have never stopped since about three months after launch which was about the time everyone realized it wasn't selling like it should be.

Sony offered a similar deal for Australia last year:

Free PS3 Helps Sony To Record Profits

"Sony, which in Australia snared 40% of the LCD TV market over the peak Xmas / New Year buying period by giving away a free PS3 with its HD Bravia TVs, has reported that its net profit rose by more than 25 percent in its third quarter, ended Dec. 31, behind strong sales of televisions and video games." (Source: Smarthouse)

Sounds like this may be good business rather than just 'desperation'.

wazoo

you can find a lot of bundled offers for the X360 at least in Europe, and you can not criticize Sony for doing bundles, when the Wii the best selling consoles of all 3 can not be bought without bundled software.

MikeB

Banned
An additional past quote regarding Bravia deals:

Sydney Morning Herald:

"The install base for PS3 in Australia is now 190,000, which includes 30,000 consoles given away with Bravia television sets in a post-Christmas promotion that dramatically lifted sales of Sony's LCD TVs and saw Sony Computer Entertainment scrambling to get sufficient console stocks to satisfy demand."

Smarthouse reported Sony had to airfreight in more Bravia TVs for Australia as well to meet demand.

gtj1092

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

I like what ifs. :D

jarrod

Banned
MikeB said:
I don't think so, the PS2 in Japan lost its hype due to being pretty old and Wii and PS3. I do however think having a narrow software gerne diversity plays a significantly role, if you concentrate mainly on FPS/shooter games, naturally people who like FPS games buy the console and it can be expected a new high profile FPS/shooter performs relatively well compared to platforms serving more diverse game gernes.
In terms of software sales, PS2's still quite healthy in Japan (healthier than PS3 even honestly). I mean, which platform just got a Persona 4 annoucement?

Depth and diversity of library certainly plays a role as well, as does timing, publicity, brand and a host of other factors. But still, there's a trend towards ratio arguments favoring smaller userbases. Historically, there's other platforms to show this as well (SS vs PS, DC/GC vs PS2).

Rolf NB

cortland_andrus said:
Link to the promises?
http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0601/10/news008.html (Japanese)
http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=7743 (translated snippets)
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=51072 (differently translated, different snippets)

Not really a promise. He just kept that door open, acknowledged that they could release a Blu-ray drive if the market swings in its favor. Kinda like that MMO/rivaling WoW thing we did yesterday. "Could", he.

MikeB

Banned
cortland_andrus said:
Link to the promises?

On the promise of choice:

"In an interview with Japanese website ITmedia, Moore noted that, if the format war concluded with Blu-Ray as the clear winner, Microsoft could release an external Blu-Ray drive for its 360."

“We’re not forcing movie technology on game players, but instead are letting them choose how to personalize their experiences.”

"No, no, it’s about choice."

I think Microsoft only wanted to delay Blu-Ray's success and failed hard. It's not about choice. I wonder why they included DVD playback if they didn't want to force gamers into using a "movie format".

IMO for the PS3 Blu-Ray is especially of importance with regard to the long term potential of games.

Kapsama

PantherLotus said:
It has been explained numerous times why your "analysis" is complete trash. At this point you're just bumping your thread to your own embarassment.
PantherLotus said:
Well, every one of my posts in this thread for one. Others have made very thorough justification on why this opinion piece can't be assumed to be anything more than the wanderings of a fanboy. I mean, I love sales-age, but this it is not.
Is this what it has come to? People feeling the need to praise their own posts? Really?:lol

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Kapsama said:
Is this what it has come to? People feeling the need to praise their own posts? Really?:lol

You drastically underestimate my need for self-congratulatory praise. kinda like the OP, i assume i'm right because i just freakin said it. And later tonight, when i make my own fucking next-gen analysis, you can make the same worthless posts in there too.

MikeB said:
Sony offered a similar deal for Australia last year:

Free PS3 Helps Sony To Record Profits

"Sony, which in Australia snared 40% of the LCD TV market over the peak Xmas / New Year buying period by giving away a free PS3 with its HD Bravia TVs, has reported that its net profit rose by more than 25 percent in its third quarter, ended Dec. 31, behind strong sales of televisions and video games." (Source: Smarthouse)

Sounds like this may be good business rather than just 'desperation'.

It is actually a little of each.

MikeB

Banned
Just ahead of April NPD figures I added some additional information to the original post, the additional comment are within quote boxes. I also cut out some redundant NDS, PS2, Wii, etc sales data to save some space.

Newly added info:

Europe in general:

Update: SCEE boss David Reeves (6 May 2008): "I'm delighted to be able to announce that we have sold more PS3s throughout Europe than Xbox 360, even though they launched 16 months before PS3."

"SCEE has sold over 5 million PS3s in Europe."

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10331&Itemid=2

Specifically with regard to the UK:

Update 2: The hefty price cut did not result into the 360 outselling the PS3 for the UK.

(18 April 2008)

"Even this [price cut] hasn't been enough to put them ahead of UK PS3 sales," he said.

But Chart Track’s confirmed to us that Xbox 360 UK sales did double in weeks 12, 13, 14 and 15, when compared to weeks 8, 9, 10 and 11.
Related stories

UK console sales monitor Chart Track confirmed that for the past 15 weeks the PS3 has largely kept ahead of the Xbox 360. However, a spokesman admitted that the two machines' units have been "extremely close" in some weeks."

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/18/xbox_360_european_sales_double/

The release of GTA IV resulted into a 125% UK hardware sales increase for the 360, but the PS3 also saw a 127% increase in hardware sales.

MCV (6 May 2008): "PS3 hardware sales leapt 127 per cent in the week in which the game was released (Sunday, April 27th to Saturday, May 5th).

Xbox 360 hardware sales also felt the GTA effect, climbing 125 per cent in the week."

With regard to Australia:

Update: PS3 install base (announcement 1 May 2008):

Gamespot: "Sony Computer Entertainment Australia (SCEA) seems to be more than happy with its performance so far, saying that the PS3 has sold 238,000 units down under since its debut in March 2007."

360 install base (announcement 21 January 2008, including year headstart):

Gamespot: "306,000 Xbox 360s have now been sold in Australia"

GTA IV launch week:

"The week of launch, GFK showed that PS3 outsold Xbox, the other format that GTA was on, by over 2 to 1.”"

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/N...6849ec5-6d0d-480c-81d7-1d4a05c60962&v7Pager=1

With regard to the US (waiting for April NPD figures for the US to add):

Update2:Regarding the first quarter of 2008: "The PS3 sold 806,000 units to the XBox's 746,000, according to the NPD Group, as reported by The Wall Street Journal." (Source: TVPredictions.com)

With regard to globally sold to retailers figures:

Update 2: By the end of March 2008, Sony sold 12.85 million PS3s to retailers worldwide. (in an equal timeframe Microsoft sold 11 million to retailers worlwide by the end of March 2007)

On the 25 of April 2008 it was announced Microsoft sold 19 million 360s to retailers worldwide.

Discussion 15 May 2008: Looking at the times and sales figures it can now be assumed the PS3 sold between 13-14 million to retailers worlwide and the 360 sold between 19-20 million to retailers wordwide, about 6 million sales gap in between.

MikeB

Banned
Added this image to the OP:

2665502880095088590S425x425Q85.jpg

Does anyone has a similar sales chart image for the 360 I can add to the orignal post?

Walshicus

RSTEIN said:
Ok, who thought putting MikeB in charge of console sales analysis was a good idea?
Just wait, you'll have my analysis of the HD media market soon... ;)

It is odd to see how many people in the thread are banned. I wonder whether I missed something crazy or not.

MikeB

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
Wait, why add PSP sales to a topic on HD consoles?

That's an official Sony chart, they just listed all Sony game systems for their gaming division summary. I added it solely as a source for PS3 sales data.

MikeB said:
An additional past quote regarding Bravia deals:

Sydney Morning Herald:

"The install base for PS3 in Australia is now 190,000, which includes 30,000 consoles given away with Bravia television sets in a post-Christmas promotion that dramatically lifted sales of Sony's LCD TVs and saw Sony Computer Entertainment scrambling to get sufficient console stocks to satisfy demand."

Smarthouse reported Sony had to airfreight in more Bravia TVs for Australia as well to meet demand.

Interesting follow up to this is that Sony isn't delivering the promised PS3 units to these customers.

http://smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/LCD/R6D7N8C2

"Thousands of the 28,000 consumers who purchased a Sony Bravia LCD TV on the basic that they would get a new Blu ray Sony PS3 gaming console are still waiting for their PS3 four months out from when the promotion was run."

Sony says they are out of stock on PS3 units to send to consumers for the promotion yet there are stacks sitting in stores.

MikeB

Banned
Adding the latest NPD figures.

So far for 2008 counting to April, the PS3 sold 993,000 units and the 360 sold 934,000 units for the US.

The platforms seem to be going head to head for now, eyes are now mainly on the release of MGS4 for the PS3 and potential price cuts.

The total PS3 install base for the US was roughly ~4,2 million and the 360 install base was roughly ~10 million at the end of April.

Looking at these consumer figures and comparing this with Microsoft's retailer data it's interesting to note consumers bought more 360s from retailers in the United States than retailers around the world outside of the US bought 360s from Microsoft. Retailers worldwide bought 19 million around the end of March.

MikeB

Banned
Added an update with regard to Australia:

Update 2: Sony Managing Director Michael Ephraim:

"He noted that the 360 has had a few strong English speaking territories - US, UK and Australia.

"In Europe they were very weak in Continental Europe, so they have done fairly well here, but with the rate we're going we will definitely surpass the install base, we're just guessing somewhere around the end of the year, if not sooner if the trend keeps going the way it is."

"I can tell you in the first quarter of 2008 we have outsold Xbox 360 by around 45 per cent," he added.

"That is not including the Bravia deal, which moved through around 30,000 units, so if you add the Bravia deal to our global sales we have now, in the first quarter of 2008 we have outsold the Xbox 360 by two to one."

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=...3+outsells+Xbox+360+by+45%+in+Q1+in+Australia

MikeB

Banned
Market analysts are often so far off and pumping out data which simply contradicts with one another. Sometimes it makes you wonder if they are worth their money, doesn't it? ;-)

However they have to predict based on many llikelihoods and endless unknows (How big of an impact will a certain game have? This without knowing beforehand if there will be delays or if the game will be any good. They usually lack the any insight with regard to how fast and to what extend console features and console specific game engines will be able to evolve. And the exact timing and extend of possible pricedrops, introductions of new models, etc aren't set in stone).

But here's a CNET projection with regard to their future outlook and the one thing which makes this analyst's prior projections interesting is that he predicted back in early 2007 that Nintendo wouldn't be able to meet demand with the Nintendo Wii until 2009 (so far he's been right about this from a worldwide perspective).

2937926140095088590S425x425Q85.jpg

In this chart there is no significant sign of a sales slowdown for the PS3 by the end of 2012. If we assume the projection is roughly accurate and the PS3 really does have a 10 year shelf space, the PS3 should be able to significantly outperform the PS2 in 2016, the PS2 will likely peak at around 140 million units sold and the PS3 may reach 10s of millions more people.

pswii60

MikeB said:
Market analysts are often so far off and pumping out data which simply contradicts with one another. Sometimes it makes you wonder if they are worth their money, doesn't it? ;-)

However they have to predict based on many llikelihoods and endless unknows (How big of an impact will a certain game have? This without knowing beforehand if there will be delays or if the game will be any good. They usually lack the any insight with regard to how fast and to what extend console features and console specific game engines will be able to evolve. And the exact timing and extend of possible pricedrops, introductions of new models, etc aren't set in stone).

But here's a CNET projection with regard to their future outlook and the one thing which makes this analyst's prior projections interesting is that he predicted back in early 2007 that Nintendo wouldn't be able to meet demand with the Nintendo Wii until 2009 (so far he's been right about this from a worldwide perspective).

2937926140095088590S425x425Q85.jpg

In this chart there is no significant sign of a sales slowdown for the PS3 by the end of 2012. If we assume the projection is roughly accurate and the PS3 really does have a 10 year shelf space, the PS3 should be able to significantly outperform the PS2 in 2016, the PS2 will likely peak at around 140 million units sold and the PS3 may reach 10s of millions more people.

Personally I don't think the 360 will not reach 40 million by that time.
The PS3 is going to sell almost 30m consoles in 2010? Did even the PS2 ever sell that many consoles in a year? :lol

MikeB

Banned
@ pswii60

The PS3 is going to sell almost 30m consoles in 2010? Did even the PS2 ever sell that many consoles in a year?

No, looking at their chart they anticipate more like 20 million unit sales.

Maybe they anticipate a cheaper slimline PS3 to sell much better and have games like Dragon Quest and a PS3 console exclusive release of GTA V / San Andreas 2 released for the platform.

Would be nice if they added some more insight as with regard to why and how.

legend166

That's an atrocious chart from cnet. It's just as bad as the Screen Digest one.

Also, why are you focusing so much on Australia, and not providing any updates about Japan?

Is it because your prediction of 2008 being the PS3s breakout year is proving to be completely retarded as it has reached new lows in the last couple of months?

MikeB

Banned
legend166 said:
That's an atrocious chart from cnet. It's just as bad as the Screen Digest one.

Also, why are you focusing so much on Australia, and not providing any updates about Japan?

Is it because your prediction of 2008 being the PS3s breakout year is proving to be completely retarded as it has reached new lows in the last couple of months?

Slow sales months, not much has changed with regard to the HD consoles ratio with regard to Japan. Both consoles show ultra slow sales, the 360 is pretty much dead. Expect an update when one of the big games I listed hits this market, certainly the release of Metal Gear Solid 4 will make comparisons a bit more interesting.

legend166

MikeB said:
Slow sales months, not much has changed with regard to the HD consoles ratio with regard to Japan. Both consoles show ultra slow sales, the 360 is pretty much dead. Expect an update when one of the big games I listed hits this market, certainly the release of Metal Gear Solid 4 will make comparisons a bit more interesting.

Oh, so you're one of those people?

How do you explain the compete ineffectiveness of all the other franchises, many of which are larger than MGS, to push sales in Japan?

Wait for [insert game] is a ridiculous argument. It didn't work for Nintendo fans last generation, and it's not going to work this generation.

Xyphie

Do you really expect a PS3 exclusive Dragon Quest to be released when the PS3 is doing disastrous weekly sales (<10,000/week average for months now) in Japan?

As for GTA V PS3 exclusive it just isn't happening when +50% of GTA IV sales are on the 360. No way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom