• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first impression of a Wii U store demo unit, displeased.

Boogybro

So why is it not in the kiosk thread?

Hey man Michael Pachter gets a new thread every time he has an opinion on something. Why not TurkishEmperor as well?

To stay on topic, in my experience Kiosks have very rarely been a good display of what a system has to offer. I think my last good experience was for the Dreamcast.

So now demo kiosks are not valid way to experience and try a gaming console? Is this the new party line?

This is almost as bad as when wii-u owners were explaining the lack of BLOPS2 players online by saying that most copies were waiting under xmas trees. Turkish's impressions are well explained and detailed. I'm not getting why people are complaining about this thread being made.

Nintendo's failure to produce an attractive demo unit is their own damn fault; and Turkish should not have to endure the blasts of overly emotional posters because of that. He was not impressed by the demo unit; and that's it.

Do you not remember SD PS3 kiosks and 360 kiosks with the contrast and vibrancy placed so high that it looked like the colors were going to gouge your eyes out? Kiosks have always been super hit or miss; namely in how they are originally conceived, how they are maintained by the rep/store, and the audience who ends up using the kiosk at that specific store.

Is it a way to experience a product? Yes. It is a way to make a determinative value on the overall product? Only if you're a dumbass.

pvpness

Is OP suggesting heavier tutorials for the Nintendoland demo to avoid confusion?

If we're discussing the demo kiosks effectiveness, then I'd say it's doing its job. You approached it and explored it. Mission accomplished.

Is OP suggesting heavier tutorials for the Nintendoland demo to avoid confusion?

If we're discussing the demo kiosks effectiveness, then I'd say it's doing its job. You approached it and explored it. Mission accomplished.

Yes, but did Monita tell him how to explore it? That's the issue, right?

Not if you come away with a negative impression

jay

My experience with the Wii U kiosk was also negative. It seemed less intuitive than it should have been and the pad wasn't as nice as I had expected.

Most of them (if not all) do. That's why I find the concept of a kiosk demo impressions well after the system is available in pretty much every territory kinda weird.

I should make a new Epic Mickey 2 demo impressions thread.

Stewox

Banned
Let me take this example and go against it. In the end I'll explain if it was valid or not.

The single touch is an inconvenience, when I was in the plaza thing I immediatly assumed to zoom in and out with the usual multi touch gestures, instead zooming happens with the +- buttons and moving up and down with the right stick.

So what's the problem, smartphones don't have buttons so everything's cramped into touch, this is subjective as to what a person is used to. Specifically, WiiU is primairly a game console intended for games, smartphones are mobile devices intended only for short periods of simple tasks. There is no God's law or a written stone that says that all screens need to have double-touch, the GamePad does not support it, but the Zooming feature is still operational, thus no functionality was lost. Your complaint is therefore invalid.

How much time do people spend on a demo unit? Will they even realize it is more than just a themepark and consists of many small games? Nintendo should customize the game, chop the minigames out and make them available as small apps. It doesn't provide a good demonstration, wasn't very clear what the game was about.

So, your first impression about WiiU is bad, because it's not good enough for casuals? You have spent almost a half of your post writing about how casuals will percieve nintendo land. Something that is a total non-issue, it's only an issue for nintendo if they want more sales, otherwise nobody cares, there are way more important things to worry about. Your solution is also biased to the smartphone side, Apps. So because there's no a menu with lots of buttons to enter any of the games, basing on this you have a negative impression. Well, the game's functionality is still intact since it offers what it promises, the way to get there may not be the usual but still it is operational. If you did not figure out how to operate the software it is solely you're own problem. Therefore this argument is also invalid.

You also seem to figure out the thing afterward, that it is a themepark with lots of games, you're now analyzing yourself what you thought beforehand and basing your current status on the previous knowledge, which is ridicolous, it's weird. Does that mean any other guy won't figure it out after trying and looking. If you researched and got the information you needed why would you care about others at all.

You seem to be a type of a consumer who thinks things will be thrown at him on a silver plate, who is easily duped by commercials, well, welcome to reality, google it, do the research your self, that's everyone's moral duty before they go criticise something.

With both games I was confused at which screen to look, people who own the system might say "you'll get used to it", but you won't on the limited time spend on a demo pod. I reckon it will be even more confusing to the casuals.

Yes, people who know way more information than you do, know that it is worth buying the system, and they also give a chance to use the system enough and see if it does work, that's how a proper analysis is made. These demo units are obviously not meant, but why didn't you try to use it long enough hmm. If the games (that are in the demo) don't interest you, then that has nothing to do with the system it self and therefore the system it self should not get the blame.

Again. Who cares about the casuals. If a game is great to the hardcore, it's great. If casual says it's not, he's not taken seriously and has no relevance to the feedback, because he's a casual who has no idea what he's talking about and is usually lacking information, doesn't try enough before he speaks, has much less skill with playing games, doesn't understand the industry ...etc. If a causal uses the "too hard game" argument, again, the game obviously is not meant for him, he doesn't need to play it, let us enjoy what we want, so their opinions aren't taken into account.

Ofcourse companies in an non-self-sustainable fractional reserve monetary system have to sell as much as they could, so their quality sacrifices are justified beacuse their primary goal is profit. Nintendo takes quality very seriously, a rarity.

Going out of apps... why does it take so long? I know it has been discussed a lot, now that I experienced it myself, wtf Nintendo? This for me is the biggest drawback and I will wait with my purchase until this has been addressed.

Overal, I'm of the opinion the demo didn't provide a very good look of the system. Its slow, it lacks content (only 2 games to try out) and its confusing. Nintendo should do a better job showcasing their new system.

So in the end, you conclude that the system doesn't have a good look, basing that on a walmart demo. For any experienced user, this is a joke.

But, you didn't decide to never buy WiiU. So why the hate, thus there should be a lot of good things about it. Why is the conclusion and tone of it negative, if it was already weight on the positive side?

If one of your valid arguments is the Slow OS issue, for the decision to delay the purchase of WiiU, why is then all of that other debate needed.

So, all you're actually saying is, that the slow OS is a big issue, and you're delaying the purchase. Same thing I'm doing. (but there's also a big problem of supply in my geolocation)

There is a psychological lesson to this, people evolve, learn, grow, why do all of the first-impression people need to proclaim their 5 minute moments of what it was in some store demo. No serious gamer cares about some early dev-kit software that was clearly made for the utmost casuals who's opinion never matters it's only bait to get as much sales as possible.

What is out there, that matters, the whole experience of it, Nintendo fixing the slow OS, that matters, Nintendo fixing Full RGB over HDMI, that matters. Things that can be fixed is what we must focus on, supplying proper feedback is the easiest and best thing to do.

pvpness

Not if you come away with a negative impression

They can't control the environment so they can't control the impression. Kiosks have only ever served as a quick view for people. Making your purchase decision based on that experience alone would be foolish.

Example: wanted to try the vita at gamestop. The one game I was interested in was just a video. Negative. The screen was scratched. (must be easily damaged) negative. The unit powered down mid demo. (must have hardware stability issues) negative. Of course all these conclusions are wildly inaccurate, but if I was the type that based my hardware purchase decisions by demo kiosks then I wouldn't own any hardware.

Are ou talking about this thread? Is there a more recent one?

As far as I know, that's the most recent thread. But, if a 2 1/2 month old thread without any activity is somehow too old for a new topic that is about the same exact thing as the original topic, then I don't know what to say. I don't see how anything could have changed from the Kiosks of that thread and this one. It doesn't make sense to just allow one user to post their opinion on this matter when we already have an entire thread dedicated to a discussion about this. If bumping a thread to spark a new discussion or opinion isn't good enough, well, then, I guess keep on trucking, as ludicrous as it has become.

EDIT: Sorry, not even. 1 1/2 months old.

EDIT2: There we go Kev, I did part of your job for you. I put an on-topic opinion in the original Kiosk thread.

Stewox

Banned

Exactly, his basing his OWN opinion on his OUTDATED kiosk impressions and kiosk effectiveness to OTHER casualer people. Total clusterfuck. Sorry.

And he knows better, making a big deal about something totally not important, isn't particularly healthy since it spreads false information and dilutes the internet and others may take the unnecessary bait, so I had to act accordingly.

They can't control the environment so they can't control the impression. Kiosks have only ever served as a quick view for people. Making your purchase decision based on that experience alone would be foolish.

Example: wanted to try the vita at gamestop. The one game I was interested in was just a video. Negative. The screen was scratched. (must be easily damaged) negative. The unit powered down mid demo. (must have hardware stability issues) negative. Of course all these conclusions are wildly inaccurate, but if I was the type that based my hardware purchase decisions by demo kiosks then I wouldn't own any hardware.
Those vita units should be considered bad as well then. A demo unit should be there to show off a units features. If it doesn't do that then it isnt doing its intended job. A demo unit is there to show off and inform people of the unit. There main focus isn't informed people.

I don't know why people are getting emotional about this. Its just about the demo units being a bit crappy, not the WiiU itself.

KillGore

Gamepad screen is underwhelming IMO. Super Mario Bros U looks so beautiful and colorful on my TV and kinda bland on the gamepad screen. I understand I shouldn't really compare one with the other (since the TV is worth $1K+) but IMO the Vita screen has much better colors.

Also, when I'm using Netflix and Hulu+ on the gamepad, the sound is really low but when in game, the sound coming off the gamepad is decent.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Exactly, his basing his OWN opinion on his OUTDATED kiosk impressions and kiosk effectiveness to OTHER casualer people. Total clusterfuck. Sorry.

And he knows better, making a big deal about something totally not important, isn't particularly healthy since it spreads false information and dilutes the internet and others may take the unnecessary bait, so I had to act accordingly.

Some say it was brutuality

Some say it was mercy.

To him...it was Acting Accordingly™.

Coming to theatres fall 2013

Let me take this example and go against it. In the end I'll explain if it was valid or not.

So what's the problem, smartphones don't have buttons so everything's cramped into touch, this is subjective as to what a person is used to. Specifically, WiiU is primairly a game console intended for games, smartphones are mobile devices intended only for short periods of simple tasks. There is no God's law or a written stone that says that all screens need to have double-touch, the GamePad does not support it, but the Zooming feature is still operational, thus no functionality was lost. Your complaint is therefore invalid.

So, your first impression about WiiU is bad, because it's not good enough for casuals? You have spent almost a half of your post writing about how casuals will percieve nintendo land. Something that is a total non-issue, it's only an issue for nintendo if they want more sales, otherwise nobody cares, there are way more important things to worry about. Your solution is also biased to the smartphone side, Apps. So because there's no a menu with lots of buttons to enter any of the games, basing on this you have a negative impression. Well, the game's functionality is still intact since it offers what it promises, the way to get there may not be the usual but still it is operational. If you did not figure out how to operate the software it is solely you're own problem. Therefore this argument is also invalid.

You also seem to figure out the thing afterward, that it is a themepark with lots of games, you're now analyzing yourself what you thought beforehand and basing your current status on the previous knowledge, which is ridicolous, it's weird. Does that mean any other guy won't figure it out after trying and looking. If you researched and got the information you needed why would you care about others at all.

You seem to be a type of a consumer who thinks things will be thrown at him on a silver plate, who is easily duped by commercials, well, welcome to reality, google it, do the research your self, that's everyone's moral duty before they go criticise something.

Yes, people who know way more information than you do, know that it is worth buying the system, and they also give a chance to use the system enough and see if it does work, that's how a proper analysis is made. These demo units are obviously not meant, but why didn't you try to use it long enough hmm. If the games (that are in the demo) don't interest you, then that has nothing to do with the system it self and therefore the system it self should not get the blame.

Again. Who cares about the casuals. If a game is great to the hardcore, it's great. If casual says it's not, he's not taken seriously and has no relevance to the feedback, because he's a casual who has no idea what he's talking about and is usually lacking information, doesn't try enough before he speaks, has much less skill with playing games, doesn't understand the industry ...etc. If a causal uses the "too hard game" argument, again, the game obviously is not meant for him, he doesn't need to play it, let us enjoy what we want, so their opinions aren't taken into account.

Ofcourse companies in an non-self-sustainable fractional reserve monetary system have to sell as much as they could, so their quality sacrifices are justified beacuse their primary goal is profit. Nintendo takes quality very seriously, a rarity.

So in the end, you conclude that the system doesn't have a good look, basing that on a walmart demo. For any experienced user, this is a joke.

But, you didn't decide to never buy WiiU. So why the hate, thus there should be a lot of good things about it. Why is the conclusion and tone of it negative, if it was already weight on the positive side?

If one of your valid arguments is the Slow OS issue, for the decision to delay the purchase of WiiU, why is then all of that other debate needed.

So, all you're actually saying is, that the slow OS is a big issue, and you're delaying the purchase. Same thing I'm doing. (but there's also a big problem of supply in my geolocation)

There is a psychological lesson to this, people evolve, learn, grow, why do all of the first-impression people need to proclaim their 5 minute moments of what it was in some store demo. No serious gamer cares about some early dev-kit software that was clearly made for the utmost casuals who's opinion never matters it's only bait to get as much sales as possible.

What is out there, that matters, the whole experience of it, Nintendo fixing the slow OS, that matters, Nintendo fixing Full RGB over HDMI, that matters. Things that can be fixed is what we must focus on, supplying proper feedback is the easiest and best thing to do.

Good lord, how much can one person misunderstand the content of a post. DEMO UNIT DOES A BAD JOB. Its not saying the WiiU itself is crap.

Stewox

Banned
After reading this line, I had to burst out laughing.

It may sound funny to you. But community strength is dictated by contributions and managing of it's users. Usually it's a smaller percentage of those who are the caretakers and contributors but it's also the effort they put in an can, some may focus on more specific areas, some variously, some more than others ofcourse, for neogaf I can't obviously say that I'm making maps or mods or whatever, with posting alone, I can at least provide anti-disinformation efforts in my spare time visiting here.

I did contribute to the WiiU speculation threads here, here and here

And here for the QuakeCon 2012 Keynote. This was a significant contribution to the specific community as well, it was featured by bethesda FB fan pages and their PR stuff, hope it was helpful!

Community feedback aggregation for WiiU here

Smaller, cosmetic stuff like this pic also counts to the community spirit.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
It may sound funny to you. But community strength is dictated by contributions and managing. Usually it's a small percentage of those who are the caretakers and contributors but it's also the effort they put in an can, some may focus on more specific areas, some variously, for neogaf, I can at least provide anti-disinformation efforts in my spare time visiting here.

spoilers, man. the next die hard isn't even out till next year.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

Are you like the president of Nintendo or something?

It may sound funny to you. But community strength is dictated by contributions and managing. Usually it's a small percentage of those who are the caretakers and contributors but it's also the effort they put in an can, some may focus on more specific areas, some variously, for neogaf, I can at least provide anti-disinformation efforts in my spare time visiting here.
Accept all you did was bitch at him with stuff that was completely out of context to what his post was about and then declare your self a hero. At least try and understand his point rather than see blood and assume all he said was WiiU sucks.

good lord. I think you missed the point. he wasn't criticising the console, but the demo unit and the poor job it does selling the console.

pvpness

Those vita units should be considered bad as well then. A demo unit should be there to show off a units features. If it doesn't do that then it isnt doing its intended job. A demo unit is there to show off and inform people of the unit. There main focus isn't informed people.

I don't know why people are getting emotional about this. Its just about the demo units being a bit crappy, not the WiiU itself.

Did I come off as emotional? Didn't mean too. Was simply saying that if it attracted his attention, then it's done most of its job. A kiosk is like a teaser, nothing more imo. No kiosk throughout history has ever stood up in critical light, so I don't know why this would be shocking. Beyond that we can't objectively say it's terrible so the whole discussion is almost pointless. The next person to play it could have really enjoyed it. Then what?

Glad someone else agrees with me that the demo units are a mess.

The ones around here don't even have Nintendoland as a playable option, only Rayman.

Even then the option to actually play the game is hidden behind unintuitive UI.

How do you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on demo units, but then don't have any of the launch titles actually be playable?

Did I come off as emotional? Didn't mean too. Was simply saying that if it attracted his attention, then it's done most of its job. A kiosk is like a teaser, nothing more imo. No kiosk throughout history has ever stood up in critical light, so I don't know why this would be shocking. Beyond that we can't objectively say it's terrible so the whole discussion is almost pointless. The next person to play it could have really enjoyed it. Then what?
Fair enough. Although I was kinda saying it in general about a lot of posts and not just you.

However maybe the real thing here is kiosks in general do a crap job in there current format. Maybe each one should have a rep who will show you what the system can do. I dunno. Still the point the demo unit does a piss poor job of showing off the console to the general public is true. They are however fine for showing off new games for established consoles.

Stewox

Banned
Accept all you did was bitch at him with stuff that was completely out of context to what his post was about and then declare your self a hero. At least try and understand his point rather than see blood and assume all he said was WiiU sucks.

It may look like it yes, that's why I said i'll take this thread as an example to try to explain something. I do not do this to be a hero or something, if you want an example of this, the latest one I could remember was on steam Rage forums, there was one guy at the launch that posted dev console entries and solutions how to fix stuff, half of that what he posted didn't work despite the warnings and reports by other users he kept doing and spamming all the time until he was rightfully banned. For a difference, I don't post BS. Secondly, I have already detected there seems to be something else Nintendo is using for their Gamepad lag-sync with the TV so both screens react the same, they aren't using the exact same technology I described in the patent research I posted and mentioned in the second "here" word the post above. Planning to do a fix somehow, if possible.

On the other hand, If you would do the same, I would congratulate you for defending the integrity of a community, but I would also add the criticism afterwards if necessary.

It may look like it yes, that's why I said i'll take this thread as an example to try to explain something.

On the other hand, If you would do the same, I would congratulate you for defending the integrity of a community, but I would also add the criticism afterwards if necessary.
I don't understand what you are defending?

The only thing could be 'Nintendo's right to have demo units that dont show off the consoles unique features or hardly any of its games'. If you think that should be defended then .. Urm...sure?

It may look like it yes, that's why I said i'll take this thread as an example to try to explain something.

WTF? There is a Wii U demo unit community now and somehow you have been elected as it's protector?

pvpness

Fair enough. Although I was kinda saying it in general about a lot of posts and not just you.

However maybe the real thing here is kiosks in general do a crap job in there current format. Maybe each one should have a rep who will show you what the system can do. I dunno. Still the point the demo unit does a piss poor job of showing off the console to the general public is true. They are however fine for showing off new games for established consoles.

I can easily agree that kiosks do fuck all for me. I don't think they're for me though. In my retail experience, 90% of the people that interacted with the kiosks in my store were kids under the age of 15 who had zero intent of purchase in the first place. The reps always told me it was about taking up space not about proof of concept.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
The single touch is an inconvenience, when I was in the plaza thing I immediatly assumed to zoom in and out with the usual multi touch gestures, instead zooming happens with the +- buttons and moving up and down with the right stick.
This right here should not be underestimated. A LOT of folks will be instantly turned off by the WiiUs interface regression.

I can easily agree that kiosks do fuck all for me. I don't think they're for me though. In my retail experience, 90% of the people that interacted with the kiosks in my store were kids under the age of 15 who had zero intent of purchase in the first place. The reps always told me it was about taking up space not about proof of concept.
That's quite true actually. Was the same when I worked in GAME (14 years ago now). I don't think that's the console makers intention for then though.

Stewox

Banned
I don't understand what you are defending?

The only thing could be 'Nintendo's right to have demo units that dont show off the consoles unique features or hardly any of its games'. If you think that should be defended then .. Urm...sure?

WTF? There is a Wii U demo unit community now and somehow you have been elected as it's protector?

You guy may have missed what I meant. It was about protecting the others who may read this thread to spread of misinformation, in this case it was not real-deal disinformation, it was more of a case of unnecessary worries, it's not as critical but it does have potential effects.

Re-read them. I've edited some posts. Trying to update as fast as possible.

This right here should not be underestimated. A LOT of folks will be instantly turned off by the WiiUs interface regression.

No doubt, those that are used to a lot of smartphone use.

To the core community however, they realize after some time it's not a big deal.

Oersted

So now demo kiosks are not valid way to experience and try a gaming console? Is this the new party line?

This is almost as bad as when wii-u owners were explaining the lack of BLOPS2 players online by saying that most copies were waiting under xmas trees. Turkish's impressions are well explained and detailed. I'm not getting why people are complaining about this thread being made.

Nintendo's failure to produce an attractive demo unit is their own damn fault; and Turkish should not have to endure the blasts of overly emotional posters because of that. He was not impressed by the demo unit; and that's it.

One person is disappointed = Nintendo's failure to produce an attractive demo unit ? Really? News, some or enjoying it others not.

braves01

Banned
The demo units are a mess. Way too many games listed that don't have a demo. They should just have Mario and a couple of the Nintendo Land games available to play. It's insane to me that you can't play Mario on the demo.

You guy may have missed what I meant. It was about protecting the others who may read this thread to spread of misinformation, in this case it was no real deal disinformation, it was more of a case of unnecessary worries. Re-read them. I've edited some posts. Trying to update as fast as possible.

No doubt, those that are used to a lot of smartphone use.

To the core community however, they realize after some time it's not a big deal.

That doesn't change the fact you overreacted some what

A better thing to do is what I and others have done and make sure its clear that this is simply about the demo unit being poor. As long as that's clear then no misinformation will be spread. However by the amount of knee jerk reactions in this thread that message is being made even less clear.

Also the core community went the target of demo units. The core community no doubt has read enough about WiiU before ever touching bone to know they would like it.

pvpness

That's quite true actually. Was the same when I worked in GAME (14 years ago now). I don't think that's the console makers intention for then though.

Me neither based on lots of conversations with disgruntled reps. Lol. It always seemed to me that they viewed it the same as a cut out or poster. Something there taking up floor space so that competitor products couldn't. I did feel like the guitar hero demos got me some sales, despite how much I loathed those fucking units.

Stewox

Banned
To also shed some light on when there were speculation threads.

Even tho everyone was so happy to hear impressions, back then it was actual experienced people talking about them so it was more good than bad, particularly because the bad was mostly temporary stuff, by temporary i mean the software performance/quality which is a subject to change as time passes until release, which is expected to improve, but not necessary if a developer is not good enough or the project doesn't have necessary budget.

The demo units are a mess. Way too many games listed that don't have a demo. They should just have Mario and a couple of the Nintendo Land games available to play. It's insane to me that you can't play Mario on the demo.

The Walmart near my area didn't have a single demo. Just videos. I liked being able to look at the controller and such but I really couldn't understand why they bothered to put it out at all.

Arkam

The demo units suck. Fact! IDK what the hell NOA was thinking with this setup. It is not easy for users to get into games and actually play with the WiiU. Such a botched job. I hope they roll out a version 2.0 by early spring.

Me neither based on lots of conversations with disgruntled reps. Lol. It always seemed to me that they viewed it the same as a cut out or poster. Something there taking up floor space so that competitor products couldn't. I did feel like the guitar hero demos got me some sales, despite how much I loathed those fucking units.
Its not surprising a lot of places leave consoles controllers locked away and just have videos playing. This at least just shows off its games and graphics. Then if someone asks they should demo it to them and allow them to try it. Would stop it just being a free arcade for kids lol.

------

The WiiU demo unit came off as crap to me. However because I read up on this stuff I know I would buy one if it had the games I'm into but it doesn't. I like off TV gaming and its controller seemed pretty good. The demo unit should at the very least show off a game that can be played on the pad only and a game that utilised the two screens. Hell, for the off TV play the should have the console set up some where other than next to the gamepad. Could be a big selling point.

However people who aren't like me and read up loads on this stuff, I can't see being convinced the way the units are currently set up.

The demo units suck. Fact! IDK what the hell NOA was thinking with this setup. It is not easy for users to get into games and actually play with the WiiU. Such a botched job. I hope they roll out a version 2.0 by early spring.

I'd just like to see more playable games. As someone on the fence about the system, it would be really helpful to be able to play something other than Rayman.

To also shed some light on when there were speculation threads.

Even tho everyone was so happy to hear impressions, back then it was actual experienced people talking about them so it was more good than bad, particularly because the bad was mostly temporary stuff, by temporary i mean the software performance/quality which is a subject to change as time passes until release, which is expected to improve, but not necessary if a developer is not good enough or the project doesn't have necessary budget.

do you stand near demo kiosks and tell everyone who uses them not to base their opinion on them as the experience is subject to change™?

Satchel

Banned
While there is a lot that sucks about he Wii U, I have to admit, playing NSMBU on the demo unit the other day made me go out and buy one, literally.

Took it home yesterday and performed the 3 HOUR UPDATE.

Top Bottom