• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.12.5 - Dec. 5th, 6AM EST (JP), 12 PM EST (NA), 5PM GMT

NCL has announced a presentation by Satoru Iwata today, Dec. 5th at 8 pm in Japan, covering the Wii U launch in 3 days.

When does the Japanese presentation in my time zone? Click this link for worldwide times.

Where can I watch it? Right here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_direct/sp/index.html

I will be providing live translations here in the OP and on my Twitter feed, @Cheesemeister3k.

20:00 The presentation has begun. Lego Iwata appears.
20:01 Lego City Undercover now. Mini-figures populate city, hero is a cop. Build various things.Coming to Japan with Nintendo publishing, release date TBA at a later date.
20:03 FIFA 13 12/8, 7665 yen. Mass Effect 3 12/8, 6090 yen. MH3 12/8, 4800 yen.
20:04 Ninja Gaiden 3 12/8, 7140 yen. Musou Orochi 2 Hyper 12/8, 7140 yen. NSMBU 12/8, 5985 yen.
20:05 Nintendo Land 12/8, 4935 yen. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Ed. 12/8, 6980 yen.
20:08 AssCreed 3, Batman Arkham City, Romance/3 Kingdoms, Simple Series, Sports Connection.
20:09 Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2, Wii Fit U. NSMBU Channel on YouTube for hint videos.
20:10 NSMBU hint video notifications to be sent through SpotPass.
20:12 Game & Wario has 16 mini-games, all playable with GamePad only, by up to 5 players.
20:13 Pretend to be asleep while your mother is walking by the window or peeks in the door.
20:14 GamePad holder steals the fruit, other players are G-men trying not to miss seeing theft.
20:15 During hint time, a frame is shown over the screen over an area where the thief is.
20:18 Once the game is done, the G-men try to pick the thief out of a lineup.
20:19 There are lots of different games to try out, find ones that you like. Early 2013.
20:20 Pikmin 3 video now. Spring 2013. Pretty HD graphics. Narration-free video.
20:21 A giant enemy crab blocks Pikmin tossing with a claw, blows bubbles that make them float.
Vosx7.jpg
20:22 A giant moth in a cave inhales Pikmin while hovering above them. Lilypads become rafts.
20:23 Further Pikmin 3 details to come at a later date. Spring 2013.
20:24 Rayman Legends now. 2D platformer by Ubisoft, published by Nintendo in Japan, playable by newcomers who've played Mario or Donkey Kong.
20:26 ZombiU now. Get bitten by a zombie and come back as a different character. Multiplayer. GamePad player survivor fights against zombie players. 12/8, 6980 yen.
20:27 CODBLOPS2 now. Internet multiplayer, zombie mode. Square-Enix publishing. 12/20, 7980 yen.
20:28 DQX trailer now. DQX, not to be outdone, also apparently also has giant enemy crabs.
20:30 DQX, Spring 2013.
20:32 Flash drives not recommended for Wii U, but DQX Wii used just that. Cloud saves instead.
20:33 DQX to be available on disk and as a download on the eShop.
20:34 Nintendo TVii contents are different from that in the US. TV guide on GamePad easy to see. Recommendations are provided based on viewing history. Service begins on 12/8 with update.
20:35 To change channels from Nintendo TVii, a 100 yen DLC key is required. Hulu Japan now. Stream Hulu videos to the GamePad for Off-TV play. Starts 12/8, free download.
20:38 Wii U Panorama View to be download-only on the eShop. Spring 2013.
20:39 Google Maps to be viewable on GamePad in the same way as Panorama View.
20:40 Go check out NCL headquarters, NOA buildings. Iwata uses helmet cam to capture footage. Iwata is scuba diving with the GamePad.
20:42 Display the screen on the TV at the same time, as well. Google Maps on Wii U will go up around the end of January, and will be free through the end of March. Free download for a limited time, will become a pay download afterward.
20:44 Wii U is something that can be fully appreciated once it's in players' hands. Iwata prays that the Wii U will be enjoyed. The presentation is now over!

NOA has announced a Nintendo Direct for Dec. 5th at 12 pm EST.
NOE will be holding a Nintendo Direct presentation on Dec. 5th at 5 pm GMT, simultaneous with NOA, both covering Wii U and 3DS software for the remainder of the year and into 2013.

When do the western presentations start in my time zone? Click this link for worldwide times.

Where can I watch the NOA presentation? Right here: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/

Where can I watch the NOE presentation? Right here: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-638747.html

I'm going to try an experiment with a live typing broadcast on the NOA Nintendo Direct.

See this Google Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14-nEHzlKHAzfWEGhEYRQXN4o02E2zt6q9d47_l6cW5o/edit

Paraphrased transcript below...

Reggie: Hi again. It’s Reggie from Nitnendo. It’s been a little more than 2 weeks since the Wii U launch in the Americas and response has been fantastic. It’s been incredible to watch and tremendously gratifying. I was in NY for the launch and had a chance to interact with you directly. One of my favorite moments was seeing all the Miis in Rockefeller Center. one of them followed me home. In fact, I think it looks a little like me.

It’s been a very busy and exciting time and Nintendo and we appreciate the support of our fans. Wii U launched with more than 30 games. In the next few months, we’re going to double that number. We’re looking forward to sharing details on some of those titles today. We’ve got a lot to cover today, so let’s get started.

The Lego franchise has a long and storied history on Nintendo platforms. Lego City Undercover is coming early next year. I was going to have Bill Trinen introduce this, but he’s been busy talking up his Japanese skills, so I sent him to Japan.

Lego Iwata: Hello, I’m Lego Iwata. I’m very happy that I can introduce ND today as Lego Iwata.

Erik Peterson: I’m here to talk to you about Lego City Undercover. In this game, you play as hero-cop Chase McCane, who’s been called upon to go against Rick Fury. With crime running rampant, Chase must go undercover to bring down Rick’s organization from the inside. Chase must go above and beyond the call of duty. Using a disguise is sometimes not enough. The GamePad allows you to use police dispatches to update you on the progress of your investigation. The scanner allows you to scan the city for tokens and bricks. Chase can find a new ride by a single button press. He will have access to vehicles. You’ll want to find bricks to bring Lego City to life. Chase will need to take the ferry to prison to continue his investigation.

As you may have noticed, there are many familiar play sets and vehicles. Lego will be introducing play sets, including Hi-Speed Chase. Lego City Undercover will be avail. early 2013.

Pikmin 3. Since introduced on the GC, it’s been known for its graphics. In HD, Pikmin 3 looks even more detailed and alive. We’ll let you enjoy this trailer without any interruptions or distractions.

What’d you think? You may notice how rich the landscapes look and you may have noticed some all-new features. Q2 of 2013. Corey has details on 2 games you’ll be playing early ‘13.

Corey Olcsvary: Game & Wario's games are full of Wario’s random humor. These games make use of 2-screen gameplay and are played only using the GamePad. They can be played by 5 players without the use of any extra controllers. Gamer: you must complete challenges like the original Wario Ware series. If your mom comes in after your bedtime, you’d better pretend to be sleeping. Audience members can keep an eye on the TV and help out. It’s designed so that players without a controller can also enjoy. Fruit is for 2-5 players, but can be played with just the GamePad. The GamePad player plays the thief and tries to blend in with the crowd and steal the fruit without getting caught. The thief will hide in the crowd, behind buildings, or stick to someone that looks like their character. Let’s see if you can guess which character Iwata is using to steal the fruit.

In 2008, Nintendo introduced Wii Fit. The next iteration, Wii Fit U, ups the number of activities and fun. The Fit Meter lets players track a walk in the park or to work and upload to Wii U. It’s been a supplement to a healthy lifestyle. Wii Fit U offers 77 activities, including those from Wii Fit Plus and some new to Wii Fit U. It gives you options in building routines.

Erik: For those of you who’ve been playing NG3, we’ve got news. Over the next few weeks, we’ll introduce new characters. Mr. Ryosuke Hayashi, producer, provided this video.

Hayashi: The high difficulty of the game is a challenge. You’ll need to make good use of the new weapons if you want to make it to the end. Ayane has been an important character in the series, and is playable. She has her own levels. I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun playing as her. You can use the GamePad to unleash Ninpo attacks or change weapons. You can even have your moves list instead of the screen. You can also play on the GamePad alone. I hope you’ll make the most of it. NG3 supports online play. There is co-op play and an 8P mode. We’ve included plenty to keep you playing so I’m sure you’ll have fun. We’ve been able to create a game that fans will really enjoy and feel accomplishment from. There’s more to come. Female ninja Momiji will be appearing as a playable character. If you go online, you can download her for free as a part of a patch. That’s not all! We will be making another playable character available to download for free. Kasumi from DOA will be playable in NG3. She will be availalbe as a free update.

Erik: Thanks to Hayashi for recording that video.

We’d like to give you add’l info about Wii U Panorama View. We’re preparing several videos that aren’t everyday. London, Kyoto. It will be paid DL software, but will offer a demo.

We’ve been doing lots of experiments. One has been Google Maps. You may have used it. If you could use Street View on the GamePad, this is what it would look like.

Iwata: From Kyoto Station, you can go to Touji. Here’s Nintendo headquarters. This video was recorded in the motion capture room. Let’s leave Japan and go to NOA headquarters in Redmond. Let’s walk around the parking lot. The sign says Nintendo. This was the old entrance. In order to give you a better idea of what it’s like, I used this helmet to record video. I’m in Hawaii and these are the hotels of Waikiki. The sky is quite blue. There are even some areas of Google Maps where you can go underwater. I see a turtle. I feel like I’m walking under the ocean. I can see a school of fish. You can also zoom in further. This is like scuba diving in your living room.

Erik: As you can see, you can view 360 degrees. Using 2 screens, you can have the map on the TV and the StreetView in your hand. You can also move the StreetView to the TV. This will be available in Q1. There’s a lot coming for the Wii U in 2013. Let’s move to 3DS.

Corey: Can you believe it’s been more than 10 years since Luigi’s Mansion? Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is coming exclusively to 3DS. Prof. Egad is investigating ghosts running amok, and it’s up to Luigi to take care of them. There are lots of objects to interact with, which are a perfect match for the 3DS. There’s a special strobe which is key to capturing the ghosts. They’ve devised countless different defenses. Launching in spring, 2013. Stay tuned.

In 2006, Nintendo introduced the older generation to gaming with Brain Age. Not all fans were worried about their brain age, but the new game will address a problem that all can relate to. When we have many connected devices, we’re suffering from information overload. It can be challenging to regain focus. Brain Age: Concentration Training addresses these issues with just 5 minutes of training per day. They improve your working memory. The difficulty scales dynamically. The better you do, the more challenging it becomes. You can share with others by comparing performance. We’ve only shown some challenges, so stay tuned for more details.

Erik: Fire Emblem is coming Feb. 4th. Lord Chrom leads the shepherds. Frederick and Lissa join him. You’ll add more characters to your troupe. Text-based conversations, in-game cutscenes. Relationships can be boosted among characters by pairing them up on the battlefield and attacks can boost multiple units at once. Positions in barracks can also build relationships. Forge weapons with unique attributes. Early on, they encounter undead soldiers and the legendary Marth. There’s a lot to like and dozens of hours of gameplay. More details and trailers in the weeks ahead. You don’t want to miss.

Classic DLC pack for NSMB2 will be free for a limited time, through Jan. 31st. Two new packs today. Each has 3 all new levels. Underground labyrinth, lava-filled volcano. Purchasable from in-game shop later today.

In Tokyo Crash Mobs, you have to fight people with people. Heroines unleash pedestrian-tossing pandemonium. Look for it on eShop.

HarmoKnight from GameFreak, developers of Pokemon. High-quality content coming to eShop on a regular basis.

Reggie: Unique experiences are found on Nintendo platforms. Lego City, Pikmin 3 for Wii U. 3DS games Luigi’s Mansion, Fire Emblem. Wii U Fit, Brain Age. Stay tuned to Facebook, Twitter. Thanks for your support. Have a safe and fun holiday season. Until next time.

EU Nintendo Direct info for those who missed it. Looks like Pikmin 3 delayed again.

Wii U

- LEGO City Undercover - Early 2013. Special LEGO City sets have codes to unlock items in-game.
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge - January 11th
- Scribblenauts Unlimited - published by Nintendo in EU - February 8th
- Sing Party - January 18th
- Pikmin 3 - Q2 2013
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - March 2013 for Wii U & 3DS

Wii U eShop

- Zen Pinball 2 Wii U - Dec 2012 - Free with one table. Other tables are DLC. Play on GamePad or TV
- Little Inferno. Already out.
- Chasing Aurora - Already out.
- Panaroma View - Spring 2013
- Google Streetview for Wii U

3DS

- Animal Crossing - Q2 2013
- Paper Mario - Dec 7th
- Luigi's Mansion 2 - March 2013
- Devilish Brain Training - March 8th 2013
- Castlevania: Mirror of Fate - March 2013
- Fire Emblem: Awakening - April 2013

3DS eShop

- NSMB 2 DLC - Already out.
- HarmoKnight - March 2013
- Picross-e 2 - January 2013
- Tokyo Crash Mobs - January 17th
- Hydroventure Spin Cycle - Dec 13th
- Wario Land 3 - Out now on 3DS VC

piteru

Banned
Now I'm being fucked from hype! Iwata is da man!

Edit: cheese is the evangelist. A pic of him should be placed in the nintendo hq

Hobby

This one doesn't sound too interesting, as it's set to focus on Wii U's launch titles.

edit: beaten by StreetsAhead.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
For Japan : Given how little we've had i'm expecting this just to be a "and this is the wii U launch we found down the back of a sofa" recap of what is coming - unfortunately, not expecting much newness

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I hope this is where Bayonetta 2 info will be revealed as Kamiya keeps alluding to next week next week next week next week

As others have said, the US and EU ones will be more exciting... They will talk about Early 2013 Wii U titles while JP will probably just be launch games that are already out here.

For Japan : Given how little we've had i'm expecting this just to be a "and this is the wii U launch we found down the back of a sofa" recap of what is coming - unfortunately, not expecting much newness

I'm fully expecting to be told to, "Choose cancel to download the update in the background."

I want Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing release dates, miiverse integration, and the
surprise zelda 3DS and WiiU crossplay eshop roguelike game announcement.

also, thanks in advance cheesemeister for your live translations.

Yep.

[岩田]今回のダイレクトでは、本体と同時に発売されるソフトを中心に、発売が3日後の今週土曜日に迫ったWii Uについての情報を、みなさんに直接お届けします。任天堂HP、ニコニコ生放送、Ustreamで放送しますので、ぜひご覧ください。

[Iwata] This Direct with focus on delivering information on launch software for the Wii U, which releases in 3 days on Saturday, to all of you at home. We will be broadcasting on the Nintendo HP, NicoNico Live, and Ustream, so check it out.

I'm fully expecting to be told to, "Choose cancel to download the update in the background."

And several hundred reminders that servers/speeds may be slow so please be patient.

Kazerei

Banned
Did America get a pre-Wii U launch Nintendo Direct? :\

Edit: well, I guess NOA and NOE have to wait for NCL

Etzer

NOA has announced a Nintendo Direct for Dec. 5th at 12 pm EST.
NOE will be holding a Nintendo Direct presentation on Dec. 5th at 5 pm GMT, simultaneous with NOA, both covering Wii U and 3DS software for the remainder of the year and into 2013.

Bring on the disappointment megatons, NoA.
Just a release date for Animal Crossing. That is all I ask for.

Too bad it's during my geo lab. I guess, I'll be keeping up with the live translations on Twitter (Thank you , OP).

Oersted

So Jp will be focussed on what we know, US and EU on what we want to happen.... give me some W101 love and I´m happy.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nintendo seriously has to talk about Q1 2013 titles right? The release
It right now is completely empty.

Nintendo seriously has to talk about Q1 2013 titles right? The release
It right now is completely empty.

I expect some new JP third-party announcements soon, but probably not until the next ND. Not expecting much from one that's billed as being focused on launch.

AwesomeD

Sure it will just be about:

Wii U - Game & Wario
Wii U - Pikmin 3
3DS - Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon
3DS - Animal Crossing

And maybe Wonderful 101, not really expecting too much from this.

Marche90

Nintendo Directs always makes me happy.

Hopefully this one won't be the exception. Will wake up tomorrow to watch the NCL one, and I'll be searching for a hotspot to watch the NA one too... I'll be outside home at that time

Top Bottom