• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.12.5 - Dec. 5th, 6AM EST (JP), 12 PM EST (NA), 5PM GMT

US 1st party lineups within the first 7.5 months for comparison:

Nintendo 64
09.26.96 Pilotwings 64 (Nintendo IRD / Paradigm Entertainment)
09.26.96 Super Mario 64 (Nintendo EAD)
11.05.96 Wave Race 64 (Nintendo EAD)
11.25.96 Killer Instinct Gold (Rareware)
12.03.96 Cruis'n USA (Williams Entertainment)
02.10.97 Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo EAD)
03.26.97 Blast Corps (Rareware)

Gamecube
11.18.01 Luigi's Mansion (Nintendo EAD)
11.18.01 Wave Race: Blue Storm (Nintendo STC)
12.03.01 Pikmin (Nintendo EAD)
12.03.01 Super Smash Bros. Melee (HAL Laboratory)
01.14.02 NBA Courtside 2002 (Leftfield Productions)

Nintendo DS
11.21.04 Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo EAD)
02.14.05 WarioWare: Touched! (Nintendo SPD / Intelligent Systems)
03.14.05 Pokémon Dash (Ambrella)
03.14.05 Yoshi: Touch & Go! (Nintendo EAD)
04.18.05 Polarium (Mitchell)
06.13.05 Kirby: Canvas Curse (HAL Laboratory)
06.27.05 Meteos (Sora / Q? Entertainment)

Wii
11.19.06 Excite Truck (Monster Games)
11.19.06 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo EAD)
11.19.06 Wii Sports (Nintendo EAD)
01.15.07 WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Nintendo SPD / Intelligent Systems)
02.12.07 Wii Play (Nintendo EAD)
04.09.07 Super Paper Mario (Intelligent Systems)
05.29.07 Mario Party 8 (Hudson / CAProduction)
06.11.07 Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Nintendo EAD)
06.27.07 Pokémon Battle Revolution (Genius Sonority)

Nintendo 3DS
03.27.11 Nintendos + Cats (Nintendo EAD)
03.27.11 Pilotwings Resort (Monster Games)
03.27.11 Steel Diver (Nintendo EAD / Vitei)
06.19.11 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Grezzo)
09.09.11 Star Fox 64 3D (Q-Games)
10.02.11 Tetris Axis (Hudson)

Wii U
11.18.12 New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo EAD)
11.18.12 Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Team Ninja)
11.18.12 Nintendo Land (Nintebdo EAD)
11.18.12 SiNG Party (Freestyle Games)
Q1.2013 Game & Wario (Nintendo SPD / Intelligent Systems)
Q1.2013 LEGO City Undercover (TT Fusion)
Q1.2013 Wii Fit U (Nintendo EAD)
Q2.2013 Pikmin 3 (Nintendo EAD)
lol.20XX The Wonderful 101 (Platinum Games)

Nintendo Published releases in North America for the first 7.5 months (launch window):

1. SNES Pilotwings 08/13/91 North America
2. SNES Super Mario World 08/13/91 North America
3. SNES F-Zero 08/13/91 North America
4. SNES SimCity 08/13/91 North America
5. SNES Super Tennis November 1991 North America
6. SNES Super Scope 6 February 1992 North America

1. Nintendo 64 Super Mario 64 09/26/96 North America
2. Nintendo 64 Pilotwings 64 09/29/96 North America
3. Nintendo 64 Wave Race 64 11/01/96 North America
4. Nintendo 64 Killer Instinct Gold 11/25/96 North America
5. Nintendo 64 Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire 12/03/96 North America
6. Nintendo 64 Cruis'n USA 12/03/96 North America
7. Nintendo 64 Mario Kart 64 02/10/97 North America
8. Nintendo 64 Blast Corps 02/28/97 North America

1. GameCube Luigi's Mansion 11/17/01 North America
2. GameCube Wave Race: Blue Storm 11/17/01 North America
3. GameCube Super Smash Bros. Melee 12/02/01 North America
4. GameCube Pikmin 12/02/01 North America
5. GameCube NBA Courtside 2002 01/13/02 North America
6. GameCube Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem 06/23/02 North America

1. Wii The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 11/19/06 North America
2. Wii Excite Truck 11/19/06 North America
3. Wii Wii Sports 11/19/06 North America
4. Wii WarioWare: Smooth Moves 01/15/07 North America
5. Wii Wii Play 02/12/07 North America
6. Wii Super Paper Mario 04/09/07 North America
7. Wii Mario Party 8 05/29/07 North America
8. Wii Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree 06/11/07 North America
9. Wii Pokemon Battle Revolution 06/25/07 North America

1. Wii U SiNG Party 11/18/12 North America
2. Wii U Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge 11/18/12 North America
3. Wii U New Super Mario Bros. U 11/18/12 North America
4. Wii U Nintendo Land 11/18/12 North America
5. Q1.2013 Game & Wario (Nintendo SPD / Intelligent Systems)
6. Q1.2013 LEGO City Undercover (TT Fusion)
7. Q1.2013 Wii Fit U (Nintendo EAD)
8. Q2.2013 Pikmin 3 (Nintendo EAD)

There's always around 6-9 Nintendo-published releases for the first 7.5 months / launch window for new Nintendo consoles. I don't see why others are expecting more than that.

AntMurda

actually, nintendo has been, and is expanding. notably, some studios in ead and monolithsoft. and retro as well, although that may just be for one game.

The expansion at Nintendo is total R&D. Which includes all their main internal divisions not just EAD. That means EAD, SPD, RED, NBD, and IRD.

Monolith and Retro are "hiring". But they dont share the same expansion goals as Nintendo's main officers.

I am willing to give W101 all the time it needs, because that is a Kamiya game. Kamiya should work on it until he feels it is everything he wants it to be.

There are very few developers I feel deserve that kind of deference, but Kamiya is one of them.

I'm not so sure. I bet I could make a crazy list for you after a little bit of google. There are a lot of great game directors with extensive records that just failed to make NeoGaf / IGN board memes.

And this is especially true for Miyamoto, who'll delay the boody game if he feels Olimar's suit isn't the right shade of cream.

Well. I'm sure the request comes from someone more involved in the entire body of the game.

I am willing to give W101 all the time it needs, because that is a Kamiya game. Kamiya should work on it until he feels it is everything he wants it to be.

There are very few developers I feel deserve that kind of deference, but Kamiya is one of them.
While true it starts getting to the ridiculous point where Nintendo has so many industry veterans as well as legacy franchises where certain expectations need to be met. Sakurai and Miyamotos pet projects get an infinite amount of time. Apparently Iwata's special relationship with Hal labs get a free pass to do little, ever since Sakurai and Iwata left its become a shell of its former self. Zelda, Metroid and flagship Mario titles(as in not nsmb) get all the time they need. I'm not sure if it's quality expectations or that retro is in the west but ever since the MP trilogy they've been given lengthy amount of time to work on projects as well. Hell even animal crossing is given a mind boggling amount of time for development. I'm still trying to figure out what took city folk so long. New leaf had a lengthy amount of time too but it at least somewhat justified it with a lot of new content.

I don't feel like doing the analysis, but you guys needs to include the tail end releases of a system alongside the launch periods of the next systems.

I do believe you'll find the End of Wii - Beginning of WiiU period to be extremely sparse. it's like Nintendo did nothing with the money they received from DS and Wii to expand as a company.

I don't feel like doing the analysis, but you guys needs to include the tail end releases of a system alongside the launch periods of the next systems.

I do believe you'll find the End of Wii - Beginning of WiiU period to be extremely sparse. it's like Nintendo did nothing with the money they received from DS and Wii to expand as a company.
Yeah, it really does feel that way. They hauled in mountain after mountain of cold, hard cash and somehow they were caught with their pants down three years later and seven years after the HD generation began. I like to think that they might have been waiting for the appropriate time to start hiring and building. It seems like a lot of developers from quality studios in the east and west have really become available and mobile at the end of this generation. Maybe picking people up right now was the most efficient time for them to do so price and quality-wise? I dunno... I'm taking shots in the dark here.

wsippel

Banned
While true it starts getting to the ridiculous point where Nintendo has so many industry veterans as well as legacy franchises where certain expectations need to be met. Sakurai and Miyamotos pet projects get an infinite amount of time. Apparently Iwata's special relationship with Hal labs get a free pass to do little, ever since Sakurai and Iwata left its become a shell of its former self. Zelda, Metroid and flagship Mario titles(as in not nsmb) get all the time they need. I'm not sure if it's quality expectations or that retro is in the west but ever since the MP trilogy they've been given lengthy amount of time to work on projects as well. Hell even animal crossing is given a mind boggling amount of time for development. I'm still trying to figure out what took city folk so long. New leaf had a lengthy amount of time too but it at least somewhat justified it with a lot of new content.
HAL doesn't get a free pass to be lazy, they mostly do technology development these days. They are responsible for parts of the 3DS and Wii U firmware.

goldenpp72

People are going to flip out, but honestly the first year of every Nintendo console since the N64 has been pretty barren. The DS had nothing but like Meteos & a sub-par Mario 64 port until Nintendogs & Advance Wars hit 9 months later. Same with the Wii, GC, etc.

The Wii U is seeing an avalanche of support by comparison, I think it's got more worthwhile stuff at launch than many other Nintendo systems had in their first year. So I'm good with them taking the time to get it right, especially after the backlash they've had from negative comparisons with other systems and accusations of same-iness towards Mario, etc.

Nope, here is a bulk of the year 1 releases for Gamecube, note we knew about most of these before the system released.

Super Monkey Ball: November 18, 2001
Luigis Mansion: November 18, 2001
Wave Race: November 18, 2001
Rogue Squadron II: November 18, 2001
Pikmin: December 2, 2001
Super Smash Brothers Melee: December 3, 2001
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle: February 12, 2002
Resident Evil Remake: April 30, 2002
Eternal Darkness: June 23, 2002
Super Monkey Ball 2: August 25, 2002
Super Mario Sunshine: August 26, 2002
Animal Crossing: September 15, 2002
Star Fox Adventures: September 23, 2002
Mario Party 4: October 21, 2002
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2: October 30, 2002
Cubivore: November 5, 2002
Resident Evil Zero: November 12, 2002
Metroid Prime: November 17, 2002

N64 started slow, but it had one of the most revolutionary games ever at launch, Wii is a bit hazy for me, but I think Mario galaxy launched by the end of year 1 and i'm sure some other stuff hit. While each system varies, none have looked so dire as the Wii U when speaking from pure quality. Hell the only 3 games of note on the Wii U post 2012 for me are Rayman, 101, Bayonetta and Pikmin 3, and those games seem to be delayed or hidden at this point, ridiculous. We have no idea if all of those are even launching next year. I don't regret buying a Wii U, but if they release almost nothing else by the time they price drop, or right near it, I'll never put faith in Nintendo being honest again. Launch window my ass.

wsippel

Banned

They've opened Monolith Kyoto, bought the remaining stock of Nd Cube and restaffed the studio, and Retro is apparently roughly twice the size it was after Donkey Kong Country Returns.

BowieZ

Banned
How do you miss Nintendo SPD, the second main developer at Nintendo Company Limited. They are actually the main developer of half of those Intelligent Systems games you listed, and the developer of Rhythm Heaven, Brain Age, English Training, Photo Dojo, Band Brothers, Wii Channels, Joysound, DS Dictionary, Tomodachi Collection, Nintendo DS Digital Tuner, etc. And co-developer and producer of Metroid Other M, Metroid Prime, Excite Truck, Pilotwings Resort, Sin and Punishment, Pandora's Tower, The Last Story,etc.
Cos meso el etupido. Lol. Thx and I'll add it soon. I wasn't quite finished anyway then I had to take a nap.

We have no idea if all of those are even launching this year. I don't regret buying a Wii U, but if they release almost nothing else by the time they price drop, or right near it, I'll never put faith in Nintendo being honest again. Launch window my ass.

Pikmin - Q2 2013. Last footage was ~12 hours ago. Delayed in US from Q1.
W101 - Still 'officially' launch window. Last footage was less than 3 months ago
Bayonetta - No release date or time frame given or hinted at. Only seen a teach trailer & it was less than 3 months ago.

None of them were ever 'launching this year'.

goldenpp72

Pikmin - Q2 2013. Last footage was ~12 hours ago. Delayed in US from Q1.
W101 - Still 'officially' launch window. Last footage was less than 3 months ago
Bayonetta - No release date or time frame given or hinted at. Only seen a teach trailer & it was less than 3 months ago.

None of them were ever 'launching this year'.

I meant next year, typo on my end. More specifically by march as I believe that was the 'launch window' given (quite a window mind you, aside Bayonetta 2). If all that launched in 2012 it would be the best launch ever. My sentiment when buying this system, was that i'd have access to Rayman, 101 and Pikmin 3 by march, and hopefully a few more noteworthy releases throughout the year. Instead, 101 goes missing, Pikmin 3 is delayed to Q2, no new games are announced, and it leads me to fear that the games I thought would be launch window might actually be the bulk of the games releasing in 2013 -_-

I meant next year, typo on my end. More specifically by march as I believe that was the 'launch window' given (quite a window mind you, aside Bayonetta 2). If all that launched in 2012 it would be the best launch ever. My sentiment when buying this system, was that i'd have access to Rayman, 101 and Pikmin 3 by march, and hopefully a few more noteworthy releases throughout the year. Instead, 101 goes missing, Pikmin 3 is delayed to Q2, no new games are announced, and it leads me to fear that the games I thought would be launch window might actually be the bulk of the games releasing in 2013 -_-

They didn't show W101, I wouldn't necessarily say it's 'missing'. Most of the Wii U stuff shown in the EUS ND was from the JP one, right? W101 was never launch window for Japan (just like Pikmin).

You may not be interested in the other software, but that doesn't mean they're not launching any games.

Here's to hoping the post-launch end of year ND has something. Although, we may have to wait until February's one, even May's for real 'new, new' (first party) games.

We'll see.

goldenpp72

They didn't show W101, I wouldn't necessarily say it's 'missing'. Most of the Wii U stuff shown in the EUS ND was from the JP one, right? W101 was never launch window for Japan (just like Pikmin).

You may not be interested in the other software, but that doesn't mean they're not launching any games.

Here's to hoping the post-launch end of year ND has something. Although, we may have to wait until February's one, even May's for real 'new, new' (first party) games.

We'll see.

What other titles will be Wii U exclusive? That's all that matters to me as I own a 360 and Ps3, and that's what the Gamecube list I just posted was composed of more or less. I do not want to be unfair to the system, I own a Deluxe U, 2 pro controllers, and just bought more nunchucks and other crap to compliment the 2 games I own for the system. The only other launch titles I had minor interest in (NG3 and Zombi U) have a lot going against them as titles worth buying, but if there is some surprising exclusive gem I'm missing, I would really sincerely like to know as I want to feel good about investing almost 500 bucks into the system already. I don't expect anything else this year, but I was hoping for a good 2013, if the system drops in price before or near when the next wave or relevant games hits, it will really shake my confidence in Nintendo (considering I did avoid buying a 3DS until Mario Land and Kart released)

Weird to see Rayman Legends being published by Nintendo in Japan, but really great (and fitting) at the same time.

It'd be nice if it was published by Nintendo in the west as well.

MNC

Luigi's Mansion cover

tumblr_meksbrihl11qzp9weo1_500.png

Hai, NiN logo!

what is this, tumblr?

Just watched the ND. Erik for president of NoA please.

It was nice to see them giving Fire Emblem some actual attention, and I'm suddenly a lot more interested in Game & Wario. (Though I still want an actual WarioWare for Wii U too.)

Still disappointed about no New Leaf release date. :/

With one of the most front loaded Q1's in this generations and others history with gigantic titles such as God of War, Gears of War, Metal Gear Rising, DmC, Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us (?), Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, and of course GTAV to follow (none of which can be found on the WiiU), Nintendo isn't exactly making a compelling case for "this new box you simply must own!" against their competitors.

Worse still, Pikmin 3 was the big 'Nintendo game' the Wii U was pretty much announced with. I guess they pooped out a NSMB in double-time and they expected NintendoLand to be getting a far bigger "MUST OWN" reaction in the mean time and those both have failed to set the world alight.

I wonder if Ubisoft are being handsomely rewarded, because geez, without them this would be true ghost town material.

^This, and speaking of Ubisoft - why the fuck didn't they announce the Rayman release date?! That and Aliens are pretty much confirmed for February release and would make the gaps far less prevalent.. aside from (maybe) Monster Hunter Rayman is the big Q1 exclusive. Seems really odd that both games were omitted from the ND..

Haha true. New Leaf is one that's really starting to get to me now. Really looking forward to it and the wait is unbearable now. I know its a lot of localizing, but I wish they'd be quicker at it!

They really need to step up their game. It will have been three years since its announcement by the time it drops in the West. If anything the fact that March/Q2 2013 is looking pretty crowded next to the basically (bar Paper Mario) empty Winter 2012 means that it could have come out at a much busier period in time.

Celine

Nintendo 64
09.26.96 Pilotwings 64 (Nintendo IRD / Paradigm Entertainment)
09.26.96 Super Mario 64 (Nintendo EAD)
11.05.96 Wave Race 64 (Nintendo EAD)
Having these 3 games at launch and in the context of those years (early 3D for consoles) is simply incredible.

EDIT:
wait Wave Race came out a few months later?
Oh didn't know, european pal here.

3 amazing games nonetheless.

Please please please put him in City Undercover if he's okay with it.

Good work dabookerman!

Nintendo side mission easter egg where you meet Iwata, Reggie and Miyamoto plz... maybe criminals steal a stash of 3DS' or something and you get called in to track em down

Top Bottom