• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.12.5 - Dec. 5th, 6AM EST (JP), 12 PM EST (NA), 5PM GMT

PhantomR

Banned
Yep, if both of these studios don't have game releases this holiday season I don't know what the hell is going to sell the Wii U.

We're talking about holiday season 2013, right? If so, I'm not worried. If you're talking about this month, what are you on?

When Nintendo games are bad, they're usually bad because of wacky, bubble-delusion design decisions where they are convinced something is the right direction and it absolutely isn't.

It's usually not because the game isn't finished. Usually. Who knows, maybe they are being forced in to the Gamecube mentality of "We need it now, release it!" That's why I'm always amused when people say they want Panic Mode Nintendo back. Panic mode Nintendo rushed the fuck out of some games!
Wind waker wasn't finished.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope you're right.

I don't think Nintendo has much value in artificially delaying something like Pikmin, not with Miyamoto producing the project. The guy is notorious for delaying shit because of whatever mood he's in. I fully believe the reason it's taking so long to come out is because if that man, and Nintendo's policy with game design. I'm pretty sure he's also overseeing Luigi's Mansion 2, and look how many times that's been delayed.

The Wonderful 101 similarly. Nintendo is probably giving Platinum a fair bit of rope, and if they don't feel it's ready, it won't be.

The big surprise to me isn't so much that stuff like Pikmin 3 and TW101 get delayed, it's that Nintendo didn't seem to plan out their first six months very well. Or deliberately kept the launch window fairly empty for whatever reason. I expected something a little more significant than "decent mini-game compilation" and "side scrolling Mario", but there you go.

If there's no blow out at E3 2013 then alarm bells will really sound loud. Nintendo's biggest issue with middling support from third parties is that they simply do not have the financial nor manpower resources to sufficiently support two separate platforms with a lot of software. Like I noted on my list there's a vast, vast majority of Nintendo's internal studios unaccounted for on both the 3DS and Wii U fronts. They're obviously working on something, but what that something is remains totally unknown. E3 2013 or whatever is the opportune and ideal moment for those studios to show what they're working on. If we don't get much out of E3 2013, I'll have no reason not to believe that Nintendo's internal studios are struggling with software and the pressure of supporting two separate hardware units.

My main point is goddamn I wanted The Wonderful 101 sooner rather than later :(.

DJIzana

Erm, which 3rd party games did they show?

I saw Lego City, Pikmin 3, updated news on Ninja Gaiden 3, Game & Wario, Panorama View, and Google maps. Nothing 3rd party from a Wii U standpoint.

20:24 Rayman Legends now. 2D platformer by Ubisoft, published by Nintendo in Japan, playable by newcomers who've played Mario or Donkey Kong.
20:26 ZombiU now. Get bitten by a zombie and come back as a different character. Multiplayer. GamePad player survivor fights against zombie players. 12/8, 6980 yen.
20:27 CODBLOPS2 now. Internet multiplayer, zombie mode. Square-Enix publishing. 12/20, 7980 yen.
20:28 DQX trailer now. DQX, not to be outdone, also apparently also has giant enemy crabs.
20:30 DQX, Spring 2013.

I don't think Nintendo has much value in artificially delaying something like Pikmin, not with Miyamoto producing the project. The guy is notorious for delaying shit because of whatever mood he's in. I fully believe the reason it's taking so long to come out is because if that man, and Nintendo's policy with game design. I'm pretty sure he's also overseeing Luigi's Mansion 2, and look how many times that's been delayed.

The Wonderful 101 similarly. Nintendo is probably giving Platinum a fair bit of rope, and if they don't feel it's ready, it won't be.

The big surprise to me isn't so much that stuff like Pikmin 3 and TW101 get delayed, it's that Nintendo didn't seem to plan out their first six months very well. Or deliberately kept the launch window fairly empty for whatever reason. I expected something a little more significant than "decent mini-game compilation" and "side scrolling Mario", but there you go.

If there's no blow out at E3 2013 then alarm bells will really sound loud. Nintendo's biggest issue with middling support from third parties is that they simply do not have the financial nor manpower resources to sufficiently support two separate platforms with a lot of software. Like I noted on my list there's a vast, vast majority of Nintendo's internal studios unaccounted for on both the 3DS and Wii U fronts. They're obviously working on something, but what that something is remains totally unknown. E3 2013 or whatever is the opportune and ideal moment for those studios to show what they're working on. If we don't get much out of E3 2013, I'll have no reason to believe that Nintendo's internal studios are struggling with software and the pressure of supporting two separate hardware units.

My main point is goddamn I wanted The Wonderful 101 sooner rather than later :(.
I am willing to give W101 all the time it needs, because that is a Kamiya game. Kamiya should work on it until he feels it is everything he wants it to be.

There are very few developers I feel deserve that kind of deference, but Kamiya is one of them.

I think Wonderful 101 is going through some pretty significant development changes. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything about it until after E3.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
20:24 Rayman Legends now. 2D platformer by Ubisoft, published by Nintendo in Japan, playable by newcomers who've played Mario or Donkey Kong.

This words make me think they'll try to advertise Rayman in a good way in Japan. It's going to be interesting.

EulaCapra

My god, Wii Fit U is accessory hell with the Gamepad, Wiimote, Nunchuk, Balance Board, and Pedometer.

And Game and Wario looks fun for a $10-$20 eShop title.... so I'll save my outrage when the inevitable $40-$60 price tag is slapped on it.

Strangely intrigued by Tokyo Crash Mobs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I am willing to give W101 all the time it needs, because that is a Kamiya game. Kamiya should work on it until he feels it is everything he wants it to be.

There are very few developers I feel deserve that kind of deference, but Kamiya is one of them.

That's what I mean, and I suspect Kamiya shares a similar mindset to a lot of senior Nintendo staff, wherein if they're given the flexibility a game will be delayed and changed as necessary to meet the standard of quality envisioned by head staff.

And that's great for the quality of the project. Not so great when you're waiting for something to play.

20:26 ZombiU now. Get bitten by a zombie and come back as a different character. Multiplayer. GamePad player survivor fights against zombie players. 12/8, 6980 yen.
20:27 CODBLOPS2 now. Internet multiplayer, zombie mode. Square-Enix publishing. 12/20, 7980 yen.
20:28 DQX trailer now. DQX, not to be outdone, also apparently also has giant enemy crabs.
We are talking about the American Direct. They didnt mention any of those games.

Drago

For me, the next few WiiU months don't look that bad.

I want to get another WiiU game by years end (maybe AC3 or ZombiU)
maybe Lego City, most likely in January
Rayman Legends in February
Monster Hunter in March
+other downloadables and scraps

Not too bad, but it could be a lot better. At least my wallet will be happy :p

PhantomR

Banned

Okay, so that was NCL Nintendo Direct. My apologies. I was referring to the NOA Nintendo Direct.

EatChildren

I think Wonderful 101 is going through some pretty significant development changes. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything about it until after E3.

Is this something you've heard? If so, can you elaborate?

For me, the next few WiiU months don't look that bad.

I want to get another WiiU game by years end (maybe AC3 or ZombiU)

As a side, I'm recommending ZombiU over AC3, because I think it's pretty fantastic and it's good to support original titles.

Cosmozone

Hm, no need to be upset I think. There was a good share of 3rd party games right at launch and some more coming. Sure, many of them are ports, but they're still good games. BTW is Europe getting Ninja Gaiden? One part of the NOE video was blocked for German viewers and I didn't see any NG. That game interests me.

Is this something you've heard? If so, can you elaborate?

As a side, I'm recommending ZombiU over AC3, because I think it's pretty fantastic and it's good to support original titles.

Oh no, it's just speculation on my part. It seemed fairly rough at E3 and hasn't really been heard from since then. Its similarities to Pikmin would make it a bad candidate to release around the same time, while the fact that we haven't heard anything about it means it's unlikely to release in the first quarter of next year. I would venture to say it's a candidate for late 2013 or even early 2014.

Hm, no need to be upset I think. There was a good share of 3rd party games right at launch and some more coming. Sure, many of them are ports, but they're still good games. BTW is Europe getting Ninja Gaiden? One part of the NOE video was blocked for German viewers and I didn't see any NG. That game interests me.

ninja gaiden is coming in january

Hale-XF11

I think the worst thing to come out of this ND was hearing about Luigi's Mansion 2 YET AGAIN for the hundredth time. I wish they'd stop talking about it at all, because my hype for that game is totally deflated now.

PhantomR

Banned
What I do think is odd, is that Nintendo did a December Nintendo Direct. Usually, they'll do a big conference around the end of January or so that will detail all games coming out for the 1st half of the year up to E3. Considering there are QUITE a few games that we were not touched on at all that we know are coming, such as:

Monster Hunter
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Injustice
Need For Speed
Rayman: Legends
Sniper 2
Two Brothers
Cloudberry Kingdom

etc etc

I have a feeling that we're either going to have another Nintendo Direct next month, or an actual press conference to outline 1st half of 2013 release schedule and strategy. That's just too many games that haven't been fully detailed yet.

Anth0ny

Absolutely agree. Same with Miyamoto and Pikmin 3, if it really needs the extra time to be perfect.

So it would be nice if there were some other games coming out between now and (post)E3 to fill the time...

sphinx

the piano man
That's what I mean, and I suspect Kamiya shares a similar mindset to a lot of senior Nintendo staff, wherein if they're given the flexibility a game will be delayed and changed as necessary to meet the standard of quality envisioned by head staff.

And that's great for the quality of the project. Not so great when you're waiting for something to play.

that's where other consoles come into play, sadly :/ it's been like this for generations, nintendo home consoles are always guaranteed to have huge dry spells, I don't understand why nintendo doesn't address this...

kinggroin

Banned
Absolutely agree. Same with Miyamoto and Pikmin 3, if it really needs the extra time to be perfect.

So it would be nice if there were some other games coming out between now and (post)E3 to fill the time...

If ever there was a time to have a fully fleshed out demo section on the eshop

onipex

So this ND ending up being what I expected. I don't understand why anyone really expected more. Nintendo has been keeping things so close to their chest for the last few years that it is even hard to tell if they are supporting their own hardware. Trying to figure out third party support or get a full list of upcoming games is fucking impossible.

It is easy for me to think that don't have anything first party wise. Maybe the transition from Wii to 3DS to Wii U was not smooth for development teams and they are way being in getting stuff out. That's not what I think is going on, but their silence makes me wonder. I'm not even going to guess what is going on for third party support. I mean even all the launch games were not announced right away and there was no real point in holding those back.

Lucky for me I have enough to enjoy with new Wii U/3DS software and a small backlog of other games.

Pociask

What I do think is odd, is that Nintendo did a December Nintendo Direct. Usually, they'll do a big conference around the end of January or so that will detail all games coming out for the 1st half of the year up to E3. Considering there are QUITE a few games that we were not touched on at all that we know are coming, such as:

Monster Hunter
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Injustice
Need For Speed
Rayman: Legends
Sniper 2
Two Brothers
Cloudberry Kingdom

etc etc

I have a feeling that we're either going to have another Nintendo Direct next month, or an actual press conference to outline 1st half of 2013 release schedule and strategy. That's just too many games that haven't been fully detailed yet.

This would make sense, if Nintendo hadn't just announced a bunch titles that are already slipping into Q2. If you're planning a big Q1-Q2 blow-out, why do the December one? Do they feel compelled to crap something out because Japan's doing a launch Nintendo Direct? If so, why?

It's fair to say I'm not to happy with NOA or NCL right now.

I'm kinda sick of ND myself, so little new game announcements in them.

Let's just go back to having E3 and the Fall Conference for the big unload, at least we know when we would be getting lots of new stuff.

So this ND ending up being what I expected. I don't understand why anyone really expected more. Nintendo has been keeping things so close to their chest for the last few years that it is even hard to tell if they are supporting their own hardware. Trying to figure out third party support or get a full list of upcoming games is fucking impossible.

It is easy for me to think that don't have anything first party wise. Maybe the transition from Wii to 3DS to Wii U was not smooth for development teams and they are way being in getting stuff out. That's not what I think is going on, but their silence makes me wonder. I'm not even going to guess what is going on for third party support. I mean even all the launch games were not announced right away and there was no real point in holding those back.

Lucky for me I have enough to enjoy with new Wii U/3DS software and a small backlog of other games.
The problem is while they are being close to their chest, I don't think there have been any major software announcements since e3 2010. Their output on 3DS has been almost entirely from titles they announced in 2010. A lot of studios have been silent for a long time and we have no idea when to expect titles from EAD Tokyo, retro, Hal labs, etc. On the Wii u.

The problem is while they are being close to their chest, I don't think there have been any major software announcements since e3 2010. Their output on 3DS has been almost entirely from titles they announced in 2010. A lot of studios have been silent for a long time and we have no idea when to expect titles from EAD Tokyo, retro, Hal labs, etc. On the Wii u.

Noone can speak of it either. The ninjas will silence anyone who stands up :p

AniHawk

1. e3 2011: here's this thing that's a new controller and a bunch of trailers for the new controller
2. e3 2012: here's that thing again and mario and pikmin and thirty minutes of nintendoland, and maybe two other launch titles
3. no, no- let's keep black ops ii a secret. it'll be a surprise
4. pikmin 3 has been delayed to q1 2013
5. pikmin 3 has been delayed to q2 2013
6. pikmin 3 has been crushed into a cube
7. you have thirty minutes to move your cube

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Talked to some guys at IGN about this today. Their impression seemed to be that we never should have expected much out of this conference, as it was really geared towards the Japanese launch, and the NOA and NOE events were merely so that those regions didn't get left out. They seemed to think that we would get some more substantial announcements when Nintendo TVii launches, although there are no certainties in this area.

onipex

Yeah, that's the problem with how they are doing things now. I don't expect it to change though. We might not hear about anything else major till March. It is almost like they are doing the Wii U how the they did the 3DS only with less future announcements and Mario and the eshop added day 1.

Talked to some guys at IGN about this today. Their impression seemed to be that we never should have expected much out of this conference, as it was really geared towards the Japanese launch, and the NOA and NOE events were merely so that those regions didn't get left out. They seemed to think that we would get some more substantial announcements when Nintendo TVii launches, although there are no certainties in this area.

If that is the case would have been better to leave the other regions out of it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
GRAAHHAGGHHHGBBGGGHH!!!! WHERE IS NINTENDO TVii!!??

Seriously, Nintendo. Don't screw me over. This is the biggest reason I bought the Wii U.

I hope they've been working on making third parties see it as a viable port box. I wouldn't expect them to announce stuff like that today, so we'll see how the coming months go. 360 (and PS3) was a wasteland for much of its first year, but the important thing is that once it got moving, it kept up the pace. That's something Nintendo have struggled with since the SNES, but we'll see.

If there are big announcements post-launch, they'll come at E3. Otherwise, courtesy of publisher press releases.

Yeah, that's the problem with how they are doing things now. I don't expect it to change though. We might not hear about anything else major till March. It is almost like they are doing the Wii U how the they did the 3DS only with less future announcements and Mario and the eshop added day 1.

If that is the case would have been better to leave the other regions out of it.

Then you get backlash. At least they announced SOMETHING (Harmoknight US + EU release, Fire Emblem 3DS release date).

1. e3 2011: here's this thing that's a new controller and a bunch of trailers for the new controller
2. e3 2012: here's that thing again and mario and pikmin and thirty minutes of nintendoland, and maybe two other launch titles
3. no, no- let's keep black ops ii a secret. it'll be a surprise
4. pikmin 3 has been delayed to q1 2013
5. pikmin 3 has been delayed to q2 2013
6. pikmin 3 has been crushed into a cube
7. you have thirty minutes to move your cube
8. Throw Pikmin at the cube to break inside. Do you know what's inside the cube? *laughs*

I don't know why playing as Kasumi makes me want to get NG3, but it does.

Pikimin looks great.

I'm also genuinely interested in Wii Fit U, I hope it delivers there's a lot more competition this time around from Nike, EA, Ubi, etc.

Juken

Then Nintendo needs more big guns.

Nintendo is just running into budget problems. Let's say they wanted to do 10 major releases a year on the Wii U, and 10 major releases on the eShop. I'm using major releases as shorthand for a title that excites consumers - Punchout Wii, yes, Steel Diver, no.

For 10 portable titles a year, let's say an 18 month development time frame (this number is arbitrary, I know). That means 1 portable team can release 2 games in 3 years. Over the span of 3 years, we need 30 games, 1 team doing 2 of those, so that's 15 development teams on the portable side to keep up the 10 a year pace.

For 10 console titles a year, let's say a 24 month development time frame (again, arbitrary - but someone has to budget for these things, and they'll be arbitrary too). 1 team, 1 game every 2 years, so the math on this one's easy, you need 20 development teams on the console side to do 10 a year.

So that's 35 development teams. If Wikipedia is right, right now they have something like 14 first party teams and 13 second party teams - they'd need to grow in size by half again, at least. I'm saying teams - really, we're talking a full studio here, although Nintendo can obviously share resources so each team doesn't need to be able to do everything by itself, for Nintendo to keep the hits coming. How many employees on a team? I can't find good numbers for that. What if we've got 50 on our portable teams, and 100 on our consoles - now we're talking 750 portable employees and 2000 console employees. That's just for developing software - never mind your hardware employees, marketing, etc. etc. etc. Looking at their financial report, Nintendo only has about 5,000 employees total now - and you're talking about having 2750 doing just software development.

Plus you're talking about the ability to manage and oversee 35 different teams, keep them on their staggered release schedules, and maintain Nintendo-quality.

So I started off writing this post intending to say, Nintendo should just do it. But it's a gigantic investment - let's just ballpark a developer as being worth $100,000 including benefits (this is low end, I hope for you devs out there). That amount times 2750 = $275,000,000 in salary and benefits a YEAR, or about 22 billion yen a year using Nintendo's exchange rate. For 2013 Nintendo budgeted 55 billion yen for all research and development - that includes their hardware, network staff, etc., so who knows how much extra this is. Enough to pause, anyway.

Hindsight is 20/20 here, but I definitely think not expanding during the Wii/DS boom will end up a huge mistake.

No doubt would have been a very costly undertaking, but they're sitting on a mountain of cash and an extremely favorable asset:liabilities ratio. Easily in a position to expand, but they seem to have chosen to save it for a rainy day...

It just seems to me that they've must've done a really poor job back then identifying risks facing their business.

AniHawk

Hindsight is 20/20 here, but I definitely think not expanding during the Wii/DS boom will end up a huge mistake.

No doubt would have been a very costly undertaking, but they're sitting on a mountain of cash and an extremely favorable asset:liabilities ratio. Easily in a position to expand, but they seem to have chosen to save it for a rainy day...

It just seems to me that they've must've done a really poor job back then identifying risks facing their business.

actually, nintendo has been, and is expanding. notably, some studios in ead and monolithsoft. and retro as well, although that may just be for one game.

Pociask

Then you get backlash. At least they announced SOMETHING (Harmoknight US + EU release, Fire Emblem 3DS release date).

Then you get backlash? They have backlash now! I think after everyone saw that the NCL ND was about Japanese launch stuff, people would have understood that Europe and America wouldn't get one.

As it was, you had people saying, oh, NCL's just covering this stuff because the Wii U hasn't launched yet there - this one's not for us. Wait till they show NOA a special post-launch ND - that's where they'll be dropping the bombs!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Luigi's Mansion cover

tumblr_meksbrihl11qzp9weo1_500.png

Hai, NiN logo!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It really, really worries me that they didn't touch on Nintendo TVii at all. I mean, it straight-up states that it'll be available in December, and they've never said otherwise, right?

I think it'd be a terrible move for them to delay the service past December, especially after setting that date in the application, itself. And preferably, I'd like to see it before December 31st.

We'll see, I guess.

Juken

actually, nintendo has been, and is expanding. notably, some studios in ead and monolithsoft. and retro as well, although that may just be for one game.

I know, but I'm not sure the end result will be large enough to significantly boost output. Especially given the fact that the Wii U is a significant leap in tech and will require some expansion just to maintain the current level. If the expansion had been sufficiently large and happened during the boom years we could have already been seeing the results now.

In any case, I have to wait for e3 before truly saying stuff like this.

Top Bottom