• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.12.5 - Dec. 5th, 6AM EST (JP), 12 PM EST (NA), 5PM GMT

kinggroin

Banned
I seem to have a different problem then most people here. There is a lot of software that I'm very interested in, but I have no idea when the stuff is coming out.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I bet Nintendo is saving all their big guns for e3 to counter the new console unveils.

So they are probably using release dates/localizations/small game announcements sparingly so they have content for each ND.

Just like E3 2011...

...and E3 2012...

...sorry, but the 'wait for E3' stuff gets old.

TriGen

When I got a Wii U I expected droughts, because I only buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games and I understand that there can't be that many major releases in one year, from one company. It's the 3DS stuff that bugs me. I own every console, but the only handhelds I buy are Nintendo ones so I can fill in the gaps between Nintendo releases, so this lack of any info on even previously announced games is a let down.

We didn't even get an AC comment, and LM once again is the same old footage. It seems at this point LM will be in March and AC will be a summer release (when you look at the fact that the ND from a little while back called it first-half instead of early like LM, makes that look likely) which kinda sucks, as that means there may only be one new Nintendo game I get to play before June/July. I feel like there should be a little more than that when you own two Nintendo platforms, and the only retail game they released for 3DS this holiday was Paper Mario.

It's okay, as I have other consoles, but it still feels like this is an especially short year for Nintendo releases.

Floex

yQ84A.png

It boils down to the inept leadership and marketing team at NOA. I'm amazed they are able to do anything at all.

The Nintendo directs are exhausting because they are so frequent and so devoid of any real informative content, like you say.

I don't think NOA knows what to do with Nintendo Direct and they don't care.

I don't think NOA has any saying in what gets shown in Nintendo Direct. They get the info from Japan probably on a short notice, they have to translate it, air it, that's all.

wsippel

Banned
I seem to have a different problem then most people here. There is a lot of software that I'm very interested in, but I have no idea when the stuff is coming out.
No, that's exactly my problem as well. I know good shit is coming, I just don't know when. Or, in some cases, even less.

The_Lump

Banned
Wow. Watched updates of the ND at work, was chuffed to see new Pikmin info, Lego, and get a timeframe for Animal Crossing, Pikmin and some others.

Merrily wanders into this thread...

What on EARTH were some of you guys expecting?? It's not E3 or some other game expo. It's a Nintendo Direct to fill us in on some games coming in the next quarter. They already said they wouldn't be talking about much further in the future until a little after WiiU launch. It's not even out in JP yet so they're hardly going to take focus off launch titles/launch window titles. And they certainly aren't going to start announcing 3rd party multiplatform games cos that's not their call. I really don't see why people expected them to do anything different here.

Edit: nicely summed up below. Thats more info than I was expecting.

Oersted

Wii U

Panorama View – Spring 2013
LEGO City: Undercover – early 2013
Pikmin 3 – Q2

3DS

Hydroventure: Spin Cycle – December 13
Tokyo Crash Mobs – January 17
Picross e2 – January
Dr Kawashima’s Devilish Brain Training – March 8
Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – March
HarmoKnight – March
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate – March
Fire Emblem: Awakening – April
Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Q2 2013

I´m happy.

Wolfie5

I bet Nintendo is saving all their big announcements for e3 to counter the new console unveils.

So they are probably using release dates/localizations/small game announcements sparingly so they have content for each ND.

Can´t wait to see Pikmin 3 at E3 again... you know it will happen.

TriGen

No, that's exactly my problem as well. I know good shit is coming, I just don't know when. Or, in some cases, even less.

Yeah. Not knowing when stuff is coming (which makes it seem like it can't be that soon then) is the real bummer, as I never expected new announcements.

So the only concrete date we got was Fire Emblem? Not even Luigi's Mansion, a game we've known about since E3 2011?

And Pikmin 3 is coming Q2 2013?!?

THIS FUCKING COMPANY

I mean, I expected the usual post launch drought for a Nintendo console, but fuck. It sounds like we won't have anything to play on Wii U in January or February. They throw around "early 2013" a lot, but this is the same company who refers to a "launch window" as the 6 months following launch.

I don't know. Wii U is looking real shitty right now. I was really expecting Pikmin 3 in January or February. Now there's nothing.

This is exactly how I feel about their Wii U line up.

God I swear. The 3DS lineup looks pretty good, but the Wii U lineup looks fucking horrendous. Nintendo better hope the Wii U is doing well because the early year lineup is basically non existent

Wow. Watched updates of the ND at work, was chuffed to see new Pikmin info, Lego, and get a timeframe for Animal Crossing, Pikmin and some others.

What on EARTH were some of you guys expecting??.
Oh I dunno, how about some FUCKING RELEASE DATES??

No release dates for Game & Wario, Luigi's Mansion, Lego City, and Wii Fit U when they are supposedly launching Q1 2013.

I know Nintendo likes to announce release dates close to when they are releasing, but this is rediculous. What about us who have limited money and need to plan accordingly on which games to get? How are we supposed to do that when there aren't any fucking release dates?

TriGen

It is possible, in fact, I think there is a good chance that Pikmin and Animal Crossing aren't released by early June. Q1 runs through March, meaning, a Q2/first-half game has a decent chance of not being out by the beginning of June.

Juken

What on EARTH were some of you guys expecting?? It's not E3 or some other game expo. It's a Nintendo Direct to fill us in on some games coming in the next quarter. They already said they wouldn't be talking about much further in the future until a little after WiiU launch. It's not even out in JP yet so they're hardly going to take focus off launch titles/launch window titles. And they certainly aren't going to start announcing 3rd party multiplatform games cos that's not their call. I really don't see why people expected them to do anything different here.

I think the presentation was a nice reminder that we're in for a typical Nintendo launch drought on Wii U. And the 3ds won't be overflowing with software over the next few months either...

Fox Mulder

So the only concrete date we got was Fire Emblem? Not even Luigi's Mansion, a game we've known about since E3 2011?

And Pikmin 3 is coming Q2 2013?!?

THIS FUCKING COMPANY

I mean, I expected the usual post launch drought for a Nintendo console, but fuck. It sounds like we won't have anything to play on Wii U in January or February. They throw around "early 2013" a lot, but this is the same company who refers to a "launch window" as the 6 months following launch.

I don't know. Wii U is looking real shitty right now. I was really expecting Pikmin 3 in January or February. Now there's nothing.

I regret this purchase more every day. I can't even sell it due to all the hoarders flooding the market and the general audience not giving a shit about it.

Phazon

I expected what I saw. The way it was presented (a lot of known footage) and still no clear dates are a dissappointment. (EU here btw)

daakusedo

I wanted to wait for re6 earlier this year and be able to play the online without having to take xbox live subscription. So the game is apparently coming but I don't feel like playing it anymore. And the rayman lite ubisoft is showing since e3 won't help much.
It's unfortunate march is packed for 3ds, some luigi mansion 2 to go along with a later buy of paper mario would have been better for january.

The_Lump

Banned
Oh I dunno, how about some FUCKING RELEASE DATES??

No release dates for Game & Wario, Luigi's Mansion, Lego City, and Wii Fit U when they are supposedly launching Q1 2013.

I know Nintendo likes to announce release dates close to when they are releasing, but this is rediculous. What about us who have limited money and need to plan accordingly on which games to get? How are we supposed to do that when there aren't any fucking release dates?

That's fair enough i suppose. I'm referring to the people who were expecting big 3rd party stuff or new games.

I think the presentation was a nice reminder that we're in for a typical Nintendo launch drought on Wii U. And the 3ds won't be overflowing with software over the next few months either...

It's hardly a drought, it's just that they announced stuff way too early. So it ends up seeming like nothing new is coming I suppose. I get that, I just dont get why people thought it would be this huge news-fest.

I expected what I saw. The way it was presented (a lot of known footage) and still no clear dates are a dissappointment. (EU here btw)

EU one wasn't great. I'd prefer one ND, with a list of localised dates afterwards.

The Lamp

I'm now pondering about selling my WII U.

Why did you buy it so early if it was obvious it would be dry on games for at least half a year? Do you buy consoles just to watch them sink or swim at launch and then give up on them? I figured buying consoles at launch was a hope of things to come in the years beyond. But suit yourself.

As I've said before, I'll pick the Wii U up once Smash Bros. hits. By then I'll have enough to play for it.

jonno394

I was caught in traffic for 45 minutes so missed all this, i'm sort of glad, huge disappointment.

I'll buy Lego City Undercover, and Monster Hunter but that's two games between Dec-March......

Juken

It's hardly a drought, it's just that they announced stuff way too early. So it ends up seeming like nothing new is coming I suppose. I get that, I just dont get why people thought it would be this huge news-fest.

I think the 3ds problem was they announced stuff too early, and the Wii U problem is they have swung really far in the other direction and haven't announced enough.

I don't think anyone expects these to be news fests, but the videos do serve as a reminder that there really isn't much coming/announced imo.

The Wii U schedule for early next year looks pretty terrible if Pikmin and Wonderful 101 won't be out until Spring at the earliest. Rayman is the biggest saving grace. People didn't expect a ton of megaton announcments, just dates for some of the Wii U games that we assumed were in the launch window.

I don't understand how a company like Nintendo can't have a healthy output of games.

What did Nintendo do with all that DS and Wii money? Did they not grow their business?

kinggroin

Banned
Would someone be so kind as to answer three quick Q's?

Tomb Raider Wii U, coming?

Resident Evil 6 Wii U, coming?

Monster Hunter Ultimate is slated for March, in the US?

The Wii U schedule for early next year looks pretty terrible if Pikmin and Wonderful 101 won't be out until Spring at the earliest. Rayman is the biggest saving grace. People didn't expect a ton of megaton announcments, just dates for some of the Wii U games that we assumed were in the launch window.

This. Even as a non-owner who had all his expectations for the system drastically lowered by E3, Nintendo still finds ways to disappoint me.

codhand

This. Even as a non-owner who had all his expectations for the system drastically lowered by E3, Nintendo still finds ways to disappoint me.

So Rayman was delayed to give the appearance of a Q1? Because if the demo was any indication that game looked pretty polished already.

Was hoping for more, but that Pikmin 3 footage looks amazing. Also, Lego city Undercover looks better and better every time I see it.

I agree with the thoughts about these being pointless, though. Nothing came out of it that couldn't have been a simple announcement through a press release/new trailers for websites to post.

Pociask

I bet Nintendo is saving all their big announcements for e3 to counter the new console unveils.

Then Nintendo needs more big guns.

Nintendo is just running into budget problems. Let's say they wanted to do 10 major releases a year on the Wii U, and 10 major releases on the eShop. I'm using major releases as shorthand for a title that excites consumers - Punchout Wii, yes, Steel Diver, no.

For 10 portable titles a year, let's say an 18 month development time frame (this number is arbitrary, I know). That means 1 portable team can release 2 games in 3 years. Over the span of 3 years, we need 30 games, 1 team doing 2 of those, so that's 15 development teams on the portable side to keep up the 10 a year pace.

For 10 console titles a year, let's say a 24 month development time frame (again, arbitrary - but someone has to budget for these things, and they'll be arbitrary too). 1 team, 1 game every 2 years, so the math on this one's easy, you need 20 development teams on the console side to do 10 a year.

So that's 35 development teams. If Wikipedia is right, right now they have something like 14 first party teams and 13 second party teams - they'd need to grow in size by half again, at least. I'm saying teams - really, we're talking a full studio here, although Nintendo can obviously share resources so each team doesn't need to be able to do everything by itself, for Nintendo to keep the hits coming. How many employees on a team? I can't find good numbers for that. What if we've got 50 on our portable teams, and 100 on our consoles - now we're talking 750 portable employees and 2000 console employees. That's just for developing software - never mind your hardware employees, marketing, etc. etc. etc. Looking at their financial report, Nintendo only has about 5,000 employees total now - and you're talking about having 2750 doing just software development.

Plus you're talking about the ability to manage and oversee 35 different teams, keep them on their staggered release schedules, and maintain Nintendo-quality.

So I started off writing this post intending to say, Nintendo should just do it. But it's a gigantic investment - let's just ballpark a developer as being worth $100,000 including benefits (this is low end, I hope for you devs out there). That amount times 2750 = $275,000,000 in salary and benefits a YEAR, or about 22 billion yen a year using Nintendo's exchange rate. For 2013 Nintendo budgeted 55 billion yen for all research and development - that includes their hardware, network staff, etc., so who knows how much extra this is. Enough to pause, anyway.

MarkusRJR

So the main Wii U games I'm interested in purchasing are Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate, Bayonetta 2, and The Wonderful 101. Only one of them is in Q1 now (not even a game published by Nintendo)? What the fuck is going on Nintendo? And still no release date for Animal Crossing, the one game I'm interested in on the 3DS. This is going to be a looooong Q1.

Top Bottom