• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.12.5 - Dec. 5th, 6AM EST (JP), 12 PM EST (NA), 5PM GMT

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I knew W101 wouldn't make it for the launch window. We still barely know anything about that game.

My Wii U will continue on as Skyward Sword/Twilight Princess box until further notice it seems.

My Wii U will continue on as Skyward Sword/Twilight Princess box until further notice it seems.

I'm replaying Twilight Princess right now and fuck me it's such a great game. That's one game that I will seriously never understand the "meh" reception over. I don't know that I like it more than Ocarina of Time, but it's definitely my favorite 3D Zelda apart from that exception and probably my favorite since A Link to the Past.

Anyway, I really think that Nintendo should have enabled VC games to be played on the game pad right out of the gate. It would be perfect during "drought" times and would have further rewarded the loyalists who collected the VC games during the last generation and went through the trouble of transferring them over to the Wii U. If I were able to access my VC library from the home menu and play them on the game pad, I would never be bored or dissatisfied with my console.

The_Monk

Im sorry if it makes no sense asking this but I have not been updated on the Wii U upcoming games/release titles but is there an idea when Bayonetta 2 is coming out? Thanks in advance.

Hero

It's really disappointing that we don't have a date for Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 got delayed to Q2. Two titles that were LAUNCH WINDOW are not. My purchase of the system was directly tied into both of those titles coming out in Q1. Definitely would've held out a bit on a purchasing a Wii U for a bit if we knew this before launch.

Anth0ny

It's hardly a drought, it's just that they announced stuff way too early. So it ends up seeming like nothing new is coming I suppose. I get that, I just dont get why people thought it would be this huge news-fest.

So what you're saying is

they should have announced less stuff at e3 2012

bVTa6.gif

CamHostage

Unless they're spacing out the release, this calendar update seems to indicate that the 3DS version of LEGO City is probably dead. Too bad, but then again, the LEGO games haven't been spectacular on 3DS so maybe it'd be for the best. The Wii U game looks like a lot of fun, at least.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Unless they're spacing out the release, this calendar update seems to indicate that the 3DS version of LEGO City is probably dead. Too bad, but then again, the LEGO games haven't been spectacular on 3DS so maybe it'd be for the best. The Wii U game looks like a lot of fun, at least.

They already said the 3DS version of LCU is coming after the Wii U SKU.

So what you're saying is

bVTa6.gif

Yeah I don't get that argument at all. They barely announced anything at all. The only thing they announced was the launch window, and now the window is stretching into the launch half year.

Hero

Yeah I don't get that argument at all. They barely announced anything at all. The only thing they announced was the launch window, and now the window is stretching into the launch half year.

Q3 and Q4 better be packed with some releases then. They better have some heavy hitters too, just the usual like Mario Kart and Wii Fit isn't going to cut it. Retro needs to show off what they're doing at E3 and it needs to be released this holiday season.

So what you're saying is

bVTa6.gif
That dude has it wrong. Nintendo should really just stop doing these Direct presentations. I dont think ive seen one that warrented what is essentially a mini video press conference.

They didnt show any new games, which is fine, but they didnt even give us release dates on the ones we knew about (save Fire Emblem). So what are the point of these things? To reassure us they havent cancelled the new Luigis Mansion? They dont need a whole video to tell us that the games that everyone knows are coming out early next year are still coming out early next year.

It just makes them look bad because they dont even have enough news they can tell us to fill a half hour, but they try. And when they try it just makes the glaring holes in their game lineups more evident.

Fox Mulder

Why did you buy it so early if it was obvious it would be dry on games for at least half a year? Do you buy consoles just to watch them sink or swim at launch and then give up on them? I figured buying consoles at launch was a hope of things to come in the years beyond. But suit yourself.

As I've said before, I'll pick the Wii U up once Smash Bros. hits. By then I'll have enough to play for it.

I really have no idea why I bought one so early. I was getting bored with current gen stuff, and it seemed like it would be hard to find a wiiu before launch.

I was really only interested in NSMBU and maybe ZombiU of the launch day titles, but I didn't think it would be potentially months into 2013 before anything else worth a damn comes out. Nintendo doesn't even have any VC titles up to keep me busy. How hard is it to have at the very least something like old NES Super Mario Bros. ready?

I'm also wondering more about how they'll keep both the 3ds and wii u fed with the kind of quality games we're used to.

I think Nintendo really just needs to stop doing these things every 2 months when 2 months later there is barely anything new to show. Sure do specific game one like the Animal Crossing one, but there was no need to do this direct. Nintendo should have a PSblog type site anyway where little things can be posted and people can see instead of using these as basically the only way they talk to fans outside of E3. Nintendo Directs are a good idea, but they need to go back to the drawing board on what they present.

Q3 and Q4 better be packed with some releases then. They better have some heavy hitters too, just the usual like Mario Kart and Wii Fit isn't going to cut it. Retro needs to show off what they're doing at E3 and it needs to be released this holiday season.

Well based on the schedules, Retro, EAD Tokyo, Good Feel, and maybe Hal should all have something out next year. Hopefully there are 3rd party games in between when Pikmin 3 + Wonderful 101 drop and late in the year.

Anth0ny

That dude has it wrong. Nintendo should really just stop doing these Direct presentations. I dont think ive seen one that warrented what is essentially a mini video press conference.

They didnt show any new games, which is fine, but they didnt even give us release dates on the ones we knew about (save Fire Emblem). So what are the point of these things? To reassure us they havent cancelled the new Luigis Mansion? They dont need a whole video to tell us that the games that everyone knows are coming out early next year are still coming out early next year.

It just makes them look bad because they dont even have enough news they can tell us to fill a half hour, but they try. And when they try it just makes the glaring holes in their game lineups more evident.

I think that's basically it, yeah.

"Hey guys, just in case you were wondering, these games are still happening! We have nothing new to announce right now, so here's some old footage you've already seen and... yeah! See ya again in two months!"

B.O.O.M

Nintendo have a year or so before they have any new competition, so I wouldn't have expected a front-loaded launch.

Could you explain? Wouldn't it make sense to have a strong first year so they can have a clear advantage over the competition even before they launch their consoles?

Could you explain? Wouldn't it make sense to have a strong first year so they can have a clear advantage over the competition even before they launch their consoles?

Of course if they blow themselves out right now, that leaves them with nothing for when the other two's software wave begins. That's the problem with relying almost solely on first party. Nintendo's biggest advantage was the one year headstart, but they seem to be going at a very relaxed pace for something so important.

Hero

Well based on the schedules, Retro, EAD Tokyo, Good Feel, and maybe Hal should all have something out next year. Hopefully there are 3rd party games in between when Pikmin 3 + Wonderful 101 drop and late in the year.

Yeah, it'd be great if all those studios had new games to show off at E3. Do we also know what Intelligent Systems is working on now?

Yeah, it'd be great if all those studios had new games to show off at E3. Do we also know what Intelligent Systems is working on now?

They only finished Fire Emblem this summer and Paper Mario a little while ago. Remember IS is a pretty small studio (relatively to Nintendo's other branches)that also works on hardware stuff like the video recording software, so don't expect anything from them next year especially on Wii U.

Nintendo have a year or so before they have any new competition, so I wouldn't have expected a front-loaded launch.
Except Nintendo has competition right now because there are more than a few possibly huge games (including one guaranteed huge game: GTAV) coming out in the spring for the PS360PC. Assuming one of the two consoles comes out in Nov 2013, there's only going to be, at most, a 6-month gap between the current gen "dying" (and there'll still be games like Madden in August) and next gen launching. I'm sure someone could list warz this but my memories of previous generation transitions was a final Autumn blowout followed by a quiet 5-6 months until E3 when the next-gen hype train would start. This isn't happening this time.

GamerSoul

I understand your point. These direct conferences feel like small updates or reminders than something that should be called a conference. Idk, I honestly don't expect anything anymore from these things, but initially I was under the impression that they were supposed to build some hype of some sort for those a little more dedicated to watch them. I have come to terms with E3 being like this and I guess these are no different.

B.O.O.M

Of course if they blow themselves out right now, that leaves them with nothing for when the other two's software wave begins. That's the problem with relying almost solely on first party. Nintendo's biggest advantage was the one year headstart, but they seem to be going at a very relaxed pace for something so important.

But I don't feel that have paced the releases well at all. They had a pretty long time to build the software line up too. I wonder how difficult it is to port games to wiiu. If it's easy they should push for more multiplats with third parties because next year is a very strong year for 3rd party releases

I think that's basically it, yeah.

"Hey guys, just in case you were wondering, these games are still happening! We have nothing new to announce right now, so here's some old footage you've already seen and... yeah! See ya again in two months!"
Well thats a pretty shitty idea. Can you guys imagine how excited everyone on GAF would be right now if Nintendo just put out a new Pikmin 3 trailer and a new Fire Emblem trailer with a release date at the end? Everyone would just be damn excited about some new info to drool over.

Instead they have a half hour video thats padded with Google earth and info we already knew. Now half the people are talking about how Nintendos line up for the next few months is barren. Its probably doing them more harm then good.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

With one of the most front loaded Q1's in this generations and others history with gigantic titles such as God of War, Gears of War, Metal Gear Rising, DmC, Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us (?), Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, and of course GTAV to follow (none of which can be found on the WiiU), Nintendo isn't exactly making a compelling case for "this new box you simply must own!" against their competitors.

Worse still, Pikmin 3 was the big 'Nintendo game' the Wii U was pretty much announced with. I guess they pooped out a NSMB in double-time and they expected NintendoLand to be getting a far bigger "MUST OWN" reaction in the mean time and those both have failed to set the world alight.

I wonder if Ubisoft are being handsomely rewarded, because geez, without them this would be true ghost town material.

Of course if they blow themselves out right now, that leaves them with nothing for when the other two's software wave begins. That's the problem with relying almost solely on first party.

This was going to be my response. I'm assuming as well that Nintendo will be hoping for third party support, enough to bridge the first party gaps.

With one of the most front loaded Q1's in this generations and others history with gigantic titles such as God of War, Gears of War, Metal Gear Rising, DmC, Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us (?), Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, and of course GTAV to follow (none of which can be found on the WiiU), Nintendo isn't exactly making a compelling case for "this new box you simply must own!" against their competitors.

Worse still, Pikmin 3 was the big 'Nintendo game' the Wii U was pretty much announced with. I guess they pooped out a NSMB in double-time and they expected NintendoLand to be getting a far bigger "MUST OWN" reaction in the mean time and those both have failed to set the world alight.

I wonder if Ubisoft are being handsomely rewarded, because geez, without them this would be true ghost town material.

To be fair to them Nintendo land is setting the world alight

I understand your point. These direct conferences feel like small updates or reminders than something that should be called a conference. Idk, I honestly don't expect anything anymore from these things, but initially I was under the impression that they were supposed to build some hype of some sort for those a little more dedicated to watch them. I have come to terms with E3 being like this and I guess these are no different.
I think thats actually the worst part man, my expectations were dirt low. I know how mediocre these things are so all I was looking for was an Animal Crossing release date and a sliver of hope theyd say something about DQX coming west.

AniHawk

ead tokyo and retro both need to have their shit out. i want to see the new zelda too

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It appears bits and pieces of the EU Nintendo Direct are now up on the Wii U eStore for viewing.

I just knew this whole ,,launch window'' business was BS. They didn't drastically change their announcement strategies for these Directs- this shitty E3 was simply a shitty E3 and now this consoles lineup until the next one is super thin. Amazing way to start off a new gen, Nintendo... They really need some wake up call by non-satisfying sales, because this is pathetic. Pikmin will not get rid of it's ,,Wii up-port''-feeling at this point, so it should have been a launch title with proper games made for the ground up on WiiU already on the horizon (and the worst looking Wario game to date doesn't cut it, while Wonderful 101 is probably also in danger of delays - already not in the launch window in Europe) It doesn't help that there's also absolutely no new 3rd party announcements, not even ports.
I don't even expect any big guns revealed in a Direct, but this console doesn't even receive smaller titles, while 3DS usually has at least one each Direct (Harmoknight today, Fallblox last time, etc)
Next E3 needs to be amazing, otherwise this will probably quite some subpar videogame machine. And as others have said, it wouldn't be enough to simply hype up Bayonetta again and only reveal something like Mario Kart besides that one.

Cosmozone

EDIT: Similar things could be said about Lego City Undercover. I'm not overly interested in it, but why not dedicate a bit more time to the title and its features if it is indeed due so soon? Show some narrated, seamless footage of gameplay to give people an idea of what the game can offer. Spend Nintendo Direct time doing that kinda stuff if you don't have announcements to make.
So you're not excited about finding unlock codes in Lego kits? :) But I guess it's not that interesting for a grown up gamer. And I fear also for a lot of kids, the little consumer whores, as long there's no Star Wars or similar logo on it.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Well than why the delays? It was a Wii game at some point. It was a prime candidate for launch because why wouldn't it be done consider how much time they've had? And the actual game isn't doing anything ground-breaking. Conceptually it's like a GC sequel to pikmin 2. So after all this time I expect a multiplayer mode like in pikmin 2, but playable online.

DJIzana

They posted 3rd party games but no Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate? What the hell?

Honestly, right now, there's only two Wii U games I want. New Super Mario Bros U and Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate. There will be more down the road but considering this presentation was talking about upcoming games in 2013 and they even showcased 3rd party games... I'm a little disappointed. =/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well than why the delays? It was a Wii game at some point. It was a prime candidate for launch because why wouldn't it be done consider how much time they've had? And the actual game isn't doing anything ground-breaking. Conceptually it's like a GC sequel to pikmin 2. So after all this time I expect a multiplayer mode like in pikmin 2, but playable online.

Because the game isn't finished, it's not up to the standard of quality Miyamoto and co expect, and so on.

Game development isn't like filling a jug full of water, where it's full when it's full. Especially not at Nintendo. If they feel they can improve the design of the game, it's not finish.

And this is especially true for Miyamoto, who'll delay the boody game if he feels Olimar's suit isn't the right shade of cream.

Anth0ny

They're trying their best to spread their god awful first year lineup across 2013.

Pikmin 3 probably could have been a launch game.

Because the game isn't finished, it's not up to the standard of quality Miyamoto and co expect, and so on.

Game development isn't like filling a jug full of water, where it's full when it's full. Especially not at Nintendo. If they feel they can improve the design of the game, it's not finish.

And this is especially true for Miyamoto, who'll delay the boody game if he feels Olimar's suit isn't the right shade of cream.

I hope you're right.

kinggroin

Banned
So does this mean TVii has been delayed?

Who knows?

I mean really, who fucking knows ANYTHING?

I'm gonna play the fuck out of Zombi U tonight and pretend this ND didn't happen. When Feb. Rolls around, I better see Rayman and/or Aliens on the shelves. March, Monster Hunter.

PhantomR

Banned
They posted 3rd party games but no Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate? What the hell?

Honestly, right now, there's only two Wii U games I want. New Super Mario Bros U and Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate. There will be more down the road but considering this presentation was talking about upcoming games in 2013 and they even showcased 3rd party games... I'm a little disappointed. =/

Erm, which 3rd party games did they show?

I saw Lego City, Pikmin 3, updated news on Ninja Gaiden 3, Game & Wario, Panorama View, and Google maps. Nothing 3rd party from a Wii U standpoint.

When Nintendo games are bad, they're usually bad because of wacky, bubble-delusion design decisions where they are convinced something is the right direction and it absolutely isn't.

It's usually not because the game isn't finished. Usually. Who knows, maybe they are being forced in to the Gamecube mentality of "We need it now, release it!" That's why I'm always amused when people say they want Panic Mode Nintendo back. Panic mode Nintendo rushed the fuck out of some games!

Top Bottom