• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Grandmother (adopted mother) passed away this morning...

Karmic Raze

My Grandmother (my adopter mother) passed away this morning after a week long stint in the hospice house. She had been suffering from dementia for at least 3 years or so and the last few months she went downhill really bad. It became almost impossible for my family and I to take care of her. She got shingles and the hospice nurses said it was the worst case they had ever seen. So she ended up in the hospice house last Tuesday and that night we were all called in thinking that night was her last. The whole family was there for the most part, but she held on a whole week. This morning I came in to the hospice house with my sister in the room and we walked outside to have a smoke and when we came back in a couple of minutes later she was gone. I was sad, very sad, to see her go, but I’m also happy that she doesn’t have to suffer anymore. She was a good woman and loved me very much. My Grandfather (who passed away in 2002) and her gave me a great life that I wouldn’t have had otherwise, and I will never take that for granted.

I have my regrets about how I handled things because I got frustrated and angry at how I couldn’t help her, but she told me out of everyone that she loved me when the EMTs were about to take her out of home last Tuesday morning. I told her I loved her too and I will never forget that moment. May she rest in peace and be with my Grandfather and the rest of the family in Heaven.

I love you Grandma, and I will never forget what you did for me. I owe everything to you, and I’ll miss you every single day. God bless you. You were a beautiful, strong, caring woman. I hope I get to see you again one day.

SpiceRacz

Sorry to hear. I went through the same situation (my grandparent raised me). Watching someone deteriorate with dementia is rough, but take comfort in knowing she's no longer suffering.

Elcid

Banned
Damn bro, another sad one. I lost my grandma last year who was like a mother to me. I cried more tears (like one of them bitches I always hear about) than I thought I could. I keep her crucifix in my bedroom and kiss it every night still. May she rest in peace. God bless you and your family and may he give you all strength in this trying time.

Last edited:
Another story of loss and ironically includes adoption as well. I hope that she didn’t suffer too much and her mind gained some clarity in her final hours. May she rest in peace.

Super Mario

Banned
Obviously, it's rough to lose someone close to you and to watch them suffer. I believe it was a great end to your relationship when her memory was shot, but she never forgot her love for you.

Mistake

It will feel hard for a while, but rest easy knowing she loved you until the end. Focus on yourself and your family for a while, and you'll start to get better. Sorry for your loss

Prison Mike

Banned
Sorry to hear that brother lost my nan year ago still burns but best advice I can give you is concentrate on the good times x

Top Bottom