• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My headset broke. Any suggestion for some wireless new ones?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Hello fellow GAFers, I'm coming in your help for suggestions.

As the title says, I just pulled a side a little too much it seems and the suddenly broke. I really liked them but if TurtleBeach really has that shitty build quality I rather move on to something else.

These are the ones I was using:

Quality sound was amazing to me, they were confortable and weren't hot, sound experience in Hellblade 2 was really great.

So I got these ones since I have to work on monday:

Sound quality is a joke compared to the TurtleBeach ones, and they make my ears get hot, so I'm looking for way better alternative. Here's what I'm looking for:
- Great sound quality with 3D sound and such perks
- 2.4GHz dongle (if they have BT as well, so both options, it's even better)
- Should be able to connect to PC, Mac and Switch
- Budget $200-$300 (absolute max)
- Their main use is for gaming and work meetings

Hope there's something within those lines and thanks in advance for any help provided.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I second the Audeze Maxwell, for $299 and under you are not going to get better sound. Mic quality is pretty good as well.

Comfort for me is fine, they are a little heavier then most regular headsets but that doesn't bother me. You can buy alternative cups on Amazon that have cooling gel in them, alternative straps as well.

Rockondevil

Just got a Turtle Beach Stealth 600 as Gen 3 released a few days ago. I hope the build quality was just yours, or that model.

I'm happy so far for the price which was quite good if you did want to try another Turtle Beach.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just got a Turtle Beach Stealth 600 as Gen 3 released a few days ago. I hope the build quality was just yours, or that model.

I'm happy so far for the price which was quite good if you did want to try another Turtle Beach.
Don't push it too much, it's sturdy and great mostly but the plastic seems to be cheap af, it didn't even make a sound when it broke, wife and I were like "what? how?"... I'm thinking on maybe getting the same one because I liked the sound and confortability but I'd kind of babysit it this time around.

Edit: Hell no I won't, the issue seems to be very widespred, treat like you newborn child lol

I second the Audeze Maxwell, for $299 and under you are not going to get better sound. Mic quality is pretty good as well.

Comfort for me is fine, they are a little heavier then most regular headsets but that doesn't bother me. You can buy alternative cups on Amazon that have cooling gel in them, alternative straps as well.
I'm seeing many people saying it only lasted like 6 months or so to them, leaving very bad reviews on Amazon, have you or anyone you know had any similar situation?

Last edited:
Owned the Audeze Maxwell for 12 months now and they're great, especially with 3rd party freeze pads. Also own the Turtle Beach Stealth Pro and they are decent, not quite as comfy as the Maxwell and can't compare with sound clarity but has other benefits like better spatial surround effect and handy app.
SteelSeries just released the Nova 5 that's getting good reviews if you wanted something a little cheaper.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Owned the Audeze Maxwell for 12 months now and they're great, especially with 3rd party freeze pads. Also own the Turtle Beach Stealth Pro and they are decent, not quite as comfy as the Maxwell and can't compare with sound clarity but has other benefits like better spatial surround effect and handy app.
SteelSeries just released the Nova 5 that's getting good reviews if you wanted something a little cheaper.
Those Nova 5 seems kinda like in the same quality ballpark than the TB Stealth, don't they? What do you think?

Those Nova 5 seems kinda like in the same quality ballpark than the TB Stealth, don't they? What do you think?
The Nova 5 are far cheaper than the Stealth Pro's. I'd say the equivalent from SteelSeries is the Nova Pro's. I'd think sound quality will compare but build quality drops with the cheaper models.

reektann

I got the Hyper x cloud Alpha wireless - mainly as the battery lasts for 300 hours. They’re very comfortable, too.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I'm seeing many people saying it only lasted like 6 months or so to them, leaving very bad reviews on Amazon, have you or anyone you know had any similar situation?
No issues on my side. Bought them back in December and they are still working with zero issues ao far.

Topher

Gold Member

No personal experience other than the Penrose so can't really speak to reliability.

Which ones do you feel are comfortable plus good sound?

I've used the Razer Blackshark V2 and HyperX Cloud Gaming headset. Both are great values but neither have bluetooth, unfortunately. Headsets that have dongles and bluetooth are typically more costly. I've used SteelSeries Artis 9x in the past, which sound great, but I don't think they are made anymore. I've heard good things about the Artis Nova Pro.

These days I'm just using a wired open back headset.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Thanks everyone, really thinking about this so I don't make a bad choice, unfortunately I'm not from USA so I basically don't trust warranty most of the time.

I'm checking all the other models you all mentioned and doing comparisons.

The Nova 5 are far cheaper than the Stealth Pro's. I'd say the equivalent from SteelSeries is the Nova Pro's. I'd think sound quality will compare but build quality drops with the cheaper models.
I meant the stealth 700 or 600.

I've got the Logitech Pro x2 Lightspeed. No complaints. Sounds great.
Those are some I'm considering right now, seems like sound quality is even better than the turtle beach ones.

If the turle beach did what you need I would prob just buy it again with a extended warranty.
Because I see that it's a very widespread issue and the turtle beach had many other issues I had some, some even from day one like very poor 2.4GHz signal, leather pealing out and even the pad fabric breaking (I was thinking on getting a replacement pad pair this next month), disconnection, PC and Mac not recognizing it so dealing with plug and unplug, etc. Was kinda manageable but the breaking issue is widespread too so I rather avoid that now.

No personal experience other than the Penrose so can't really speak to reliability.

I've used the Razer Blackshark V2 and HyperX Cloud Gaming headset. Both are great values but neither have bluetooth, unfortunately. Headsets that have dongles and bluetooth are typically more costly. I've used SteelSeries Artis 9x in the past, which sound great, but I don't think they are made anymore. I've heard good things about the Artis Nova Pro.

These days I'm just using a wired open back headset.
Checking the Penrose, thanks.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I've changed headsets about 8 times over the last three years. Including high end relatively pricey headphones. Also had Xbox, Hyper x, Turtle beach, Razer, SteelSeries, Logitech etc.

I finally landed on the Steelseries Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (closed back headset with noise canceling). Really really happy with them.

These are even more comfortable than what I previously regarded as my personal favorite, the Philips Fidelio X3 (open back wired headphones).

Edit: Oh shit, was on my phone, didn't see your requirements at first. Please disregard.

Last edited:

SyberWolf

wireless, arctis 9x with the xbox dongle sold seperately. (no idea if there are already newer versions)
Wired sennheiser 598 sr or above. open back headphones are great.

Last edited:
Don't get hyper x cloud headphones. Mine stopped working right after the warranty expired.

I've been using mine for 4 years straight, these are built like a fucking tank friend...

...or rather, they were, before HP bought them - that's what I've been reading on the intrawebs at least.

When did you get them ?
Mine are from before the HP buy-out/acquisition.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I've been using mine for 4 years straight, these are built like a fucking tank friend...

...or rather, they were, before HP bought them - that's what I've been reading on the intrawebs at least.

When did you get them ?
Mine are from before the HP buy-out/acquisition.
I bought some on Amazon in 2015 I think. I took good care of them. One day they stopped producing sound. So I threw them out since they were past warranty.

Granted I only paid $50 for them new. But that left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm not going back.

Kataploom

Gold Member
i use either the sony Pulse Elites mostly for PS5 now

and the Artic nova pros on my PC. cant go wrong with either for PC support
I was thinking on getting those but I like hardware mic mute and it seemed to be not the best choice anyway compared to others around the same price

I've changed headsets about 8 times over the last three years. Including high end relatively pricey headphones. Also had Xbox, Hyper x, Turtle beach, Razer, SteelSeries, Logitech etc.

I finally landed on the Steelseries Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (closed back headset with noise canceling). Really really happy with them.

These are even more comfortable than what I previously regarded as my personal favorite, the Philips Fidelio X3 (open back wired headphones).

Edit: Oh shit, was on my phone, didn't see your requirements at first. Please disregard.
How's the sound quality compared to the Turtle Beach ones? I guess they're Stealth series, right?

Kataploom

Gold Member
I have the same headset. Are you using the JBL app? JBL QUANTUM
Make sure you are using that and that it's running to utilize the 3D audio functionality, as well other options. The sound is excellent once calibrated.
Do you mean the spatial sound option in that app? If I enable it it will mostly reverb all the output, I can see how it gets "spatial" but the level of reverb is way too overtuned, can you provide a good EQ setting for that one?

BTW, I moved the EQ a little in the non-spatial sound setup and it sounds waaaaaay better than before, but the Turtle Beach still have this "it sounds out of my head, somewhere else" pretty realistic feel that I can't get from the JBLs, like it has some native or passive high quality spatial sound or something like that.

Sorry, can't explain it better since I'm not too sound savvy lol

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Do you mean the spatial sound option in that app? If I enable it it will mostly reverb all the output, I can see how it gets "spatial" but the level of reverb is way too overtuned, can you provide a good EQ setting for that one?

BTW, I moved the EQ a little in the non-spatial sound setup and it sounds waaaaaay better than before, but the Turtle Beach still have this "it sounds out of my head, somewhere else" pretty realistic feel that I can't get from the JBLs, like it has some native or passive high quality spatial sound or something like that.

Sorry, can't explain it better since I'm not too sound savvy lol

Yes. Make sure the spatial sound button in the App is On:

hswnoRJ.jpeg

I recommend a search for "8D Audio test" on YouTube, there's quite a few for good calibration/testing. You should hear "3D" audio; audio from specific directions if enabled. Here's one:

You'll know when the 3D audio is working. In the JBL Quantum App, I alternate between Bass Boost or High End Boost. Really depends if listening to music, gaming, or watching a movie they're all different. JBL's Quantum sound is far better then Turtle Beach imo. Also, with the JBL Quantum headsets (and other brands as well) you don't need to buy any "Dolby Atmos", "DTS" this or that sound program in order to utilize the 3D/Binaural Sound functionality.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yes. Make sure the spatial sound button in the App is On:

hswnoRJ.jpeg

I recommend a search for "8D Audio test" on YouTube, there's quite a few for good calibration/testing. You should hear "3D" audio; audio from specific directions if enabled. Here's one:

You'll know when the 3D audio is working. In the JBL Quantum App, I alternate between Bass Boost or High End Boost. Really depends if listening to music, gaming, or watching a movie they're all different. JBL's Quantum sound is far better then Turtle Beach imo.

I did the same test on both, glued the broken part of the Stealth 700 and put some insulating tape to it so it doesn't move so I can use them normally, using the test you sent me and both spatial and without spatial sound on the JBL and it's not even in the same ballpark. Just to clarify, it's not that JBLs are bad, it's that the godamn Stealth headphones have a great sound, like the only think they do well, they do it really well lol.

I'm thinking on getting the Nova Pro, someone has any comments on how comfortable it is and if it has breathable material? Even if optional, I wouldn't mind.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I did the same test on both, glued the broken part of the Stealth 700 and put some insulating tape to it so it doesn't move so I can use them normally, using the test you sent me and both spatial and without spatial sound on the JBL and it's not even in the same ballpark. Just to clarify, it's not that JBLs are bad, it's that the godamn Stealth headphones have a great sound, like the only think they do well, they do it really well lol.

I'm thinking on getting the Nova Pro, someone has any comments on how comfortable it is and if it has breathable material? Even if optional, I wouldn't mind.
I did say that, but to be fair, comfort is slightly subjective, and sometimes dependent on individual anatomy. I recommend going to a store and try them on if you can :)

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Got the Nova Pros or Pulse elites don't bother with the maxwell they sound best but are very heavy and uncomfortable and you can turn the novas/elites to almost match the maxwell.

Solarstrike

Gold Member

Everyone has different audio perception. It's really up to you, whatever you think is best! I've bought headsets for $50 that were far better than the ones I paid over $250 for. One thing to keep in mind is to make sure you are utilizing what the headset comes with in terms of an App, driver, etc. JBL's for example, will prompt for an install once plugged into a PC. Off all the headsets I've had over the years, these (JBL Quantum 350 wireless) are sweet. Wireless with a mic, 3D audio, comfortable, a lot of sound option(s), reasonable price.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Got the Nova Pros or Pulse elites don't bother with the maxwell they sound best but are very heavy and uncomfortable and you can turn the novas/elites to almost match the maxwell.
That's something I didn't mention but I didn't want to get too picky, the Stealth 700 Gen 2 is like 450gr heavy, I felt it was uncomfortable for a while but I think I'm now used to it... But I don't think I'd go any havier than that lol

I'm thinking on just getting the Nova Pro, they seem to be very comfortable, durable and have great sound quality. Also, there's that GameDAC device you can get an additional one for Xbox if you don't have it.

How is it for AAA single-player gaming?

Puscifer

Steelseries Arctis 7+ or whatever the upgraded model is. I have to say I'm pretty shocked that Sony doesn't have a competitor to it, it's so damn good!

Kataploom

Gold Member
Steelseries Arctis 7+ or whatever the upgraded model is. I have to say I'm pretty shocked that Sony doesn't have a competitor to it, it's so damn good!
Ok I'm doubting between Nova pro and Nova 7, I'm not sure if the difference in quality is that big to really justify it, my problem is that Pro charges additional 70 or so on taxes to send to my country while 7 doesn't.

Any of you guys have experience hearing both and checking if it's worth it for sound quality alone?

Puscifer

Ok I'm doubting between Nova pro and Nova 7, I'm not sure if the difference in quality is that big to really justify it, my problem is that Pro charges additional 70 or so on taxes to send to my country while 7 doesn't.

Any of you guys have experience hearing both and checking if it's worth it for sound quality alone?
What I've learned over the years is that headsets aren't like headphones. They serve 2 different audiences and more money generally speaking doesn't equal better quality and really around 150-200 you're topping out on quality and should look into legitimate headphones with detachable cables and get a microphone attachment.

I bought the 7p and 7p+ after I broke the original during a move and it's what I'm using now and I can vouch for them. I'd argue that an ATH M50 & an inline boom mic is superior and cheaper than either option, minus the fact it isn't wireless.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, thanks everyone for suggestions, I decided against Nova 7X since that one is in the same ballpark as the stealth 700 and costs less than half the Nova Pro (considering import taxes).

I'll look into non-gaming headphones later for actual great quality for couch gaming tho, I've learned a couple things about audio quality by researching options lol.

Luipadre

Gold Member
I odered the arctis Nova 5. Heard good things about it and the phone EQ app is a godsend for console usage

poodaddy

I got some Bang and Olufsen headphones a while back, I think they were doing some kind of promotion and I got like a hundred off. They're wireless, Bluetooth, great sound quality, and a great app for controlling them. Only complaint I have is the battery seems finicky, I'll take it off the charger after it's been charging for hours and it'll say it's only half charged, just doesn't make any sense. In terms of quality of sound and experience though, they're pretty good.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I odered the arctis Nova 5. Heard good things about it and the phone EQ app is a godsend for console usage
I was about to follow B Brutal Deluxe suggestion about the Nove 5, but searching about it I saw the Nova 7 was barely any more expensive and were better so I opted for those. Already purchased and waiting for it to arrive next week.

I got some Bang and Olufsen headphones a while back, I think they were doing some kind of promotion and I got like a hundred off. They're wireless, Bluetooth, great sound quality, and a great app for controlling them. Only complaint I have is the battery seems finicky, I'll take it off the charger after it's been charging for hours and it'll say it's only half charged, just doesn't make any sense. In terms of quality of sound and experience though, they're pretty good.
They better do, they're expensive as I can see

Luipadre

Gold Member
I was about to follow B Brutal Deluxe suggestion about the Nove 5, but searching about it I saw the Nova 7 was barely any more expensive and were better so I opted for those. Already purchased and waiting for it to arrive next week.

They have the same drivers and the nova 5 has the phone app support, longer battery life and a better mic. I heard they sound pretty much the same or very little difference

poodaddy

Yeah they're a little spendy, but if you see a decent discount on em then they're not much more than you'd spend on enthusiast audio from other brands. I think I paid around 200, maybe 3, after whatever discount I got, and that seemed fair to me.

There are some upgrades on the 5 not present on the 7 but i'm sure you'll be fine with either.

Top Bottom