• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
M8

Literally the entrance exam's big moment

Listen, i don't want some jobber facelss robot. I want some gundam looking mother fucker piloting his gundam robot as he wrestles with Mount Girl in the middle of the city and one of them doing some high flyer shit off of a bank.

Also maybe there is a suitcase holding the adoption papers to somoene's kid dangling above them or something, I dunno.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Listen, i don't want some jobber facelss robot. I want some gundam looking mother fucker piloting his gundam robot as he wrestles with Mount Girl in the middle of the city and one of them doing some high flyer shit off of a bank.

Also maybe there is a suitcase holding the adoption papers to somoene's kid dangling above them or something, I dunno.

Hero Academia has been generally good at showing the heroes trying to mitigate civilian injuries and building damage. I can't see Mount Lady wrestling with a giant mecha and breaking buildings left and right. This isn't Man of Steel.

Veelk

Banned
Speaking of the Anime and music, does the series have any particularly good tracks? I generally don't feel the need to watch anime if I can read the manga unless I have reason to believe the anime is better, but that's rare...but music is often the best addition animes make for me.

Lunar15

Speaking of the Anime and music, does the series have any particularly good tracks? I generally don't feel the need to watch anime if I can read the manga unless I have reason to believe the anime is better, but that's rare...but music is often the best addition animes make for me.

Oh fuck yeah, does it:

You Say Run - Used when Deku saves Bakugou from the slime monster and when he saves Ochako from the giant robot in the entrance exam.

My Hero Academia - Used in a lot of key scenes, notably when they all show off their costumes for the first time

Hero A - You might not like the admittedly cheesy rapping, but it's a fun song that's used during training sequences and fights

Plus Ultra - Used when talking about something reverent, like the school or All Might.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

You Say Run was the only one that really stood out to me when I browsed the ost

Ohhhh boyyy
You Can Be A Hero
The chills that track gives omg. Probably my fave track of 2016

My Hero Academia

Hero A

Uncontrollable Evil
@ 1:10 you can just imagine the AFO reveal at that moment or the chapter where he blows away Best Jeanist

I Am Here

Best ost of 2K16

Lunar15

You Say Run is definitely the strongest track. There's some other somewhat good ones, but it stands out.

I also like I Am Here just because they went full smarm for All Might.

Hypron

New chapter is out.

Damn this guy's quirk is pretty brutal. I wonder what it actually does - I'm sure it's more than just "making people explode just by touching them".

Also, Shigaraki seems to have grown up already - taking the L and telling his allies to back down from the fight.

cntr

Banned
That uh, went in a totally different direction from what I was expecting.

Also man, I thought Overhaul was going to be in his 20s, but if he was around since before All Might, he's probably more like in his 40s.

Nightbird

Ehm, isn't this the first time we've seen a character be killed on-screen? (a known one on top of that?)

Or did i forgot about someone?

cntr

Banned
Also I just realized how Hunter x Hunter this chapter was

I'm down with the series going that direction.

Damn this guy's quirk is pretty brutal. I wonder what it actually does - I'm sure it's more than just "making people explode just by touching them".
The sfx when Magne got blown up was "the sound of stretching/creaking/tightening", so there's gotta be something going on there.

Philippo

Whoa dude, super-powered yakuza thugs? Was not expecting that.
Just like i didn't expect the recruitment going in the opposite way.

MCD

I have mad respect for the author now.

With other mangas, the shitty villains who are all teenagers as fuck think they rule the world and act all mighty (no pun intended) just because.

Not here. You inexperienced fucks better level up as the heroes or go home.

This is more so for the current group of villains. Seriously, they are so fucking naive.

Nightbird

What also surprised me was outright stating the name of an established Marvel character just like that

I mean, Kingpin is the villain in Daredevil.

Is that this a kind of joke by the scanlators, or is that actually what is said in the original?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This chapter was legit. I agree with the opinion that this felt very Hunter x Hunter. It subverted expectations, since we all thought it was going to be +1 to Shigaraki's crew. Shigaraki just got played while being told he doesn't know how to manage his human resources. I like it a lot. Maybe this is MHA's Yorkshin arc.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, I was sure Shigaraki being a crap villain who needs to get better was where Horikoshi was going, but it's nice to have it explicitly brought to the forefront.

It's also dope that Overhaul just left instead of trying to force a fight. Dude's pretty calm.
Is that this a kind of joke by the scanlators, or is that actually what is said in the original?
"Kingpin" is a normal English word, so it's just what the translators used.

Nightbird

"Kingpin" is a normal English word, so it's just what the translators used.

It is? Huh, you learn something new everyday.

But, it's clear as a day that they used it with Marvels Kingpin in mind, it fits perfectly with the whole "King of the underworld" theme

cntr

Banned
That's kind of reversed, it's because of the association with criminal organizations the word "kingpin" has that the Daredevil villain is named Kingpin. The word's always been used like that in English.

I dont know why i doubt horikoshi.
Everytime he releases chapters like this it gives me faith that he knows and understands what hes doing with the story.

Calling out shigarakis handling of his henchmen and bringing back organised crime syndicates from pre-All Might is a great call and adds a good dynamic

Also the parallels with All Might and Overhauls pose 👌
Also man, I thought Overhaul was going to be in his 20s, but if he was around since before All Might, he's probably more like in his 40s.
Id wait for Vizs translation but Shigaraki introduced him as the "Young Leader" so i dont think hes that old

cntr

Banned
Id wait for Vizs translation but Shigaraki introduced him as the "Young Leader" so i dont think hes that old
Might be a translation thing, but I guess being in your 30s or 40s is pretty young for a yakuza leader. If you pretend he doesn't have the mask, he has the same "middle-aged generic dude" style as Tsukauchi. Though he looks different.
you're making me look like a fool :(
Haha, sorry, didn't mean it to be like that. It's no big deal, kingpin isn't exactly a common word.

This chapter firmly establishes why I've never taken Shiragaki seriously as the final boss of the series for Deku to beat. Obviously he can grow into the final boss but at this point he continues to just get clowned by the heroes and other villains.

cntr

Banned
I have no idea whether it's intentional, but there's a neat subtle example of how naive Shigaraki was -- if he wasn't an idiot, he would've sent Twice clones to talk to Overhaul, and not come as real people. And they're definitely real people, because Mr. Compress having his arm blown off would've disintegrated a clone.

cntr

Banned
seems like Magne's backstory is that he's an "okama", and he got pushed towards Stain and the VA since he had personal issues over being open about it

though it's expected from Horikoshi, I should mention that it's pretty unusual for this to be written as a sympathetic thing, okama usually get played up for creepiness or comedy

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Boy I liked that chapter a lot. Magna gettin a two-panel flashback outta nowhere for no reason was pretty deathflaggy tho.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I knew and liked where this was going as soon as the yakuza leader said that Shigaraki needs a plan. They are such a poorly put together group that's frankly scrub tier.

Also Toga reminds me of Roberto

raw

roberto-o.gif

Top Bottom