• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
Well, maybe they'll handle it better next week. Who knows.

...let's just forget it exists if it doesn't, though. Maybe they'll try again and get it right in the 20s.

Im still going to watch every single episode regardless cause increased character interactions are going to be great and the ost never fails

cntr

Banned
Keep it to the anime thread then, because if it turns out mediocre, I wouldn't want to be reminded of it every week. I'd just get depressed. Especially given how good the upcoming manga arc seems like it's gonna be.

You seem a little on edge my dude 😆
Ill post here about the anime if its allowed by mods but weve been talkin about it before the anime thread.

cntr

Banned
2016 was a terrible year, and those MHA S1 and Jojo DiU threads were awful, since it was nothing but complaining and arguments week after week. It was really depressing, and I'd rather just not bother for this season if it's gonna happen again.

I dont remember it much in the mha anime thread more in the animegaf thread.

I think i only went into the diu thread once but i nearly always saw it on the front page so it must have been then.

I can imagine being a big fan of 2 great series and then getting mediocre adaptions can b rough.

It's sort of interesting. The pacing in the chapters is SUPER QUICK, but the pacing in the anime is SUPER SLOW. There's a couple of reasons why, but I think that fundamentally the three main causes are: short fights, rapid plotting, and sticking significant events at the end of the chapter with great consistency. Without long action scenes (or, at least, way shorter ones than most manga have; by this point, the Deku/Bakugou fight would've probably lasted 10 chapters easy in other series) there's not a lot of opportunities for significant compression. Most of the plot advances happen in dialogue, and there's a LOT of them, so you can't really skip much. And finally, the chapters tend to end on exactly the kind of notes you want to end episodes on, so using fractional chapters is a pain.

mdubs

Banned
Hmm, that first episode was pretty slow. I agree that it's a little bit jarring to jump into the anime after reading the manga and getting used to the lighting speed Horikoshi moves at. It's part of why this is my favourite manga ongoing.

tbh, the only anime which is better than its source manga is Gintama.

I thought as a kid that comics and books were better than TV shows and movies, and nothing I've ever seen in the 15 years since has shown me otherwise.

The Your Lie in April anime is significantly better than the manga due to the beautiful animation quality and the integration of the music. It really is the definitive version of that story.

I think Haikyu!!'s anime is at least as good as its source material.

Ascheroth

We should have a third thread. A manga thread, an anime thread and an anime for manga reader thread, because clearly, this cannot continue :p
I dont remember it much in the mha anime thread more in the animegaf thread.

I think i only went into the diu thread once but i nearly always saw it on the front page so it must have been then.

I can imagine being a big fan of 2 great series and then getting mediocre adaptions can b rough.
But the DiU adaption was legit great.

cntr

Banned
The DiU adaptation was great, but they dropped a lot of moments from the manga and had a lot of animation issues. So complaints and arguments ahoy.

We should have a third thread. A manga thread, an anime thread and an anime for manga reader thread, because clearly, this cannot continue :p

But the DiU adaption was legit great.

I stopped when Koichi cut his super saiyan badass hair when using his stand he looked like a dork afterwards so i forgot and stopped watching. I should get back to it

Ascheroth

I stopped when Koichi cut his super saiyan badass hair when using his stand he looked like a dork afterwards so i forgot and stopped watching. I should get back to it

You should. The middle stretch is a little weaker, but the it ramps it up to eleven towards the end again.

I think people are being too harsh on HeroAca s1, sure it had issues with pacing but it did make the series more popular out of JPN and I think it had lots of phenomenal moments it adapted. Maybe Im biased since I watched it three times, but it was entertaining and I cant see how it was a turn off to people. I

mdubs

Banned
Oh my god this ED for season 2 is absolutely adorable and catchy. Help

I think people are being too harsh on HeroAca s1, sure it had issues with pacing but it did make the series more popular out of JPN and I think it had lots of phenomenal moments it adapted. Maybe Im biased since I watched it three times, but it was entertaining and I cant see how it was a turn off to people. I

This is how I feel too. Some parts, like the climax of the All-Might/Nomu fight were so damn enjoyable to watch in animation.

The music is also great.

Pretty much my thoughts too.

SuperOrez

I just caught up on the anime. Should I read the manga instead? I almost feel like read bff this in black and white won't be as enjoyable but I also imagine this show going through a bunch of filler down the line.

I just caught up on the anime. Should I read the manga instead? I almost feel like read bff this in black and white won't be as enjoyable but I also imagine this show going through a bunch of filler down the line.
Continue watching the anime until season 2 ends and then switch to the manga. I don't see the MHA anime getting fillers.

cntr

Banned
Read the first 21 chapters of the manga, and if you think it's better than season 1, then you should probably just read it.

Oh my god this ED for season 2 is absolutely adorable and catchy. Help

This is how I feel too. Some parts, like the climax of the All-Might/Nomu fight were so damn enjoyable to watch in animation.

The music is also great.

Loved the ending. The focus on the girls was cute too.

And yeah, S1 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. The scene where they play "you say run" and All Might punches Noumu is one of the hypest anime moments ever.

Jigolo

Episode 14 only covered 1 chapter :/. Chapter 22 was covered in this episode. My guess is the anime will cover only through Stain arc which ends at chapter 55/56. Coming out to 1.4 chapters covered per episode.

They started the anime too early. Season 1 should've started now and been 25 episodes (1 recap ep so 24) and covered ~2 chapters (maybe pad out some of the fights) per episode all the way through the Sports Festival which ends on chapter 44. Eh, oh well, it'll just suffer like other shounen anime

Ascheroth

Finished up volume 1 and just started volume 2. Official translations are so much better when it comes to small printed 'background text'.
Like:
FF5fzs4.png
is done much better in the volume (notice how the bottom right isn't even translated? It says something like "Fabric that can withstand enormous powers. The more breast and trouser pockets the better." )
I totally forgot (or didn't notice it to begin with) that Ochakos costume uses pressure on acupoints to lessen the nausea her power gives her. Cool stuff.

Bowl0l

Episode 14 only covered 1 chapter :/. Chapter 22 was covered in this episode. My guess is the anime will cover only through Stain arc which ends at chapter 55/56. Coming out to 1.4 chapters covered per episode.

They started the anime too early. Season 1 should've started now and been 25 episodes (1 recap ep so 24) and covered ~2 chapters (maybe pad out some of the fights) per episode all the way through the Sports Festival which ends on chapter 44. Eh, oh well, it'll just suffer like other shounen anime
Can't complain because it's been a trend where seasons = 13 episodes. Hopefully they decided to adapt content from the light novels.

Man that new chapter...I swear to god these bullets better not last long!!! Very happy we are getting chapters around Kirishima, he's always been one of my favorite characters. I just love both his design and his personality! Positive, honest, wearing his emotions on his sleeves and hot blooded. He's awesome.

Edit: Oh man I'm actually really scared these bullets will work permanently with how Overhaul spoke.....Please Tamaki has a really cool quirk and an awesome design...Losing him so fast would be super sad.

Horikoshi's color pages are always 10/10
ddda126a895bee7c6f914005136524d2.png

Looking at the 1 or 2 page back you guys sure did not talk a lot about the new chapter...I'm actually surprised considering what happened.

I hope Tamaki (Suneater) wasnt hit. Im actually liking his and Kirishima's development teamwork, companionship, and friendship here and Id hate for it to turn to nothingness just from a dart. Also it was unclear if it causes permanent or short term inability to use quirks.

In any case Kirishima making it out unscathed is great.

Ascheroth

waaaah what edition?

The german MHA volumes all come with a little extra.
Volume 1 had stickers.
Volume 2 had a glow in the dark cover.
Volume 3 had a little carboard thingy with Deku and All Might that stands on its own (I have no idea what the english word for that is)
Volume 4 glows entirely in the dark.
Volume 5 had this little poster.

Based on this progression I'm expecting Volume 6 to be a lightbulb and Volume 7 to have a figurine : P

Volume 1 had stickers.
Volume 3 had a little carboard thingy with Deku and All Might that stands on its own (I have no idea what the english word for that is)

Based on this progression I'm expecting Volume 6 to be a lightbulb and Volume 7 to have a figurine : P

That's pretty cool! As a Canadian I have the choice of either VIZ(english) or Ki-oon(french), but neither offers cool things like that :/ I envy you!

Do the glow in the dark ones look cool?

Vol.7 came like this(the only special one yet)
1034c10780a7fcc8b8753eab2d9a2f1e.jpg

Ascheroth

That's pretty cool! As a Canadian I have the choice of either VIZ(english) or Ki-oon(french), but neither offers cool things like that :/ I envy you!

Do the glow in the dark ones look cool?

Vol.7 came like this(the only special one yet)
1034c10780a7fcc8b8753eab2d9a2f1e.jpg
Tbf MHA is the only manga that I own that comes with goodies, but it's also the only one I own published by Carlsen, so I don't know whether that's normal for them.
What I like is that they keep the front cover clean and just have a small mention of the extra on the backside.

The glow in the dark sounds cooler than it is :p
Just enough that you can make out some contours, nothing special.

mdubs

Banned
Volume 1 had stickers.

German manga is the best manga. When I was in Hamburg I would go to Thalia and browse the manga section, and it's all cheaper than in NA with better quality paper. I bought a bunch of volumes to flip through even though I can't read it.

cntr

Banned
It's a transformation, yeah. That was a big thing in Oumagadoki Zoo.

e: also, Sakamata in Zoo had the power to enlarge his head (to take bigger bites out of things), so probably Gang Orca does too.

Moaradin

Seeing how the anime handles the pacing in the next few episodes is gonna be real interesting. Judging from the preview, the next episode should AT LEAST cover 2 chapters.

cntr

Banned
if you wanted to know about these guys

Nakagame Tatami
Quirk is "Folding". She can fold her body like a turtle.

During drawing, when explaining her Quirk to the staff, they said "scaaary~", her power is dreadful.

Makabe Shikkui
His quirk is "Fortifying". He can make objects hard by rubbing or kneading it in both hands. It can't be used on living things.

I wanted him to fight Kirishima, but it didn't work out at the time.

He's a handsome guy. (t/n: an "ikemen")

cntr

Banned
The provisional license arc.

...though yeah I totally forgot about the second guy. I remembered the girl, though!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Go Kirishima! Now that's metal.

Didn't expect an element from Illegals to make it into the main series.

Top Bottom