• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

What will the power up even do for him besides making him stronger

I guess with the emphasis of quirks being a physical thing maybe it makes his quirk stronger

Gives him both quirks, I think.

Plus, an extra pair of hands seems useful when your power is based around touching stuff.

So, like, not to kickstart the line of discussion, but on a friend's rec I'm reading Haikyuu! and 34 chapters in there's one female character, she's gotten 3 lines, and the cast dialogue about her has focused almost exclusively on her physical attractiveness (and one time her, uh, smell).

I don't wanna get all whataboutism about female representation but it could be waaaaaaay worse; you kind of have to grade these Shonen books on a curve. MHA does pretty well by that standard.

LotusHD

Banned
You know my favorite part of anime discussion

Mineta

Lol

Anime's a visual medium, he is admittedly more in your face as a result. Also I got to binge through a lot of the manga, and haven't really seen much of him since. :p

I wonder how the anime thread will react to Bakugou being captured in S3.

"Should've been Mineta"
I think I'm half-joking here.

So, like, not to kickstart the line of discussion, but on a friend's rec I'm reading Haikyuu! and 34 chapters in there's one female character, she's gotten 3 lines, and the cast dialogue about her has focused almost exclusively on her physical attractiveness (and one time her, uh, smell).

I don't wanna get all whataboutism about female representation but it could be waaaaaaay worse; you kind of have to grade these Shonen books on a curve. MHA does pretty well by that standard.

I think people are seemingly harsher because we know that the author could handle them well, and well, he's given us so many characters that people like. So naturally, it sucks to not see them more often. Like others have said, you'd think Uraraka at the very least would show up more, and leaving out the only female member of the Big 3 in their debut arc (when she even has an offensive ability, so no excuses) is pretty lame too.

EDIT:

Yea, it being about men's volleyball is another good point lol

Chase17

I think a series about a men's volleyball team is never going to be judged as harshly when it comes to depiction of female characters as something like MHA. While the first stretch of the serious isn't great about it, Haikyuu has recently gotten better about it over the last year or so about trying to give its side female characters a bit of a focus. I think Yachi gets a couple chapter run as early as 70 though.

I think people are seemingly harsher because we know that the author could handle them well, and well, he's given us so many characters that people like. So naturally, it sucks to not see them more often. Like others have said, you'd think Uraraka at the very least would show up more, and leaving out the only female member of the Big 3 in their debut arc (when she even has an offensive ability, so no excuses) is pretty lame too.

EDIT:

Yea, it being about men's volleyball is another good point lol

I think a series about a men's volleyball team is never going to be judged as harshly when it comes to depiction of female characters as something like MHA. While the first stretch of the serious isn't great about it, Haikyuu has recently gotten better about it over the last year or so about trying to give its side female characters a bit of a focus. I think Yachi gets a couple chapter run as early as 70 though.

Eh, Eyeshield managed it better and that had a bigger cast to juggle.

I think it's kind of important to keep things in perspective, I suppose. If you treat a series that tries but doesn't hit its full potential worse than a series that doesn't even try, something's a little fucked, no?

LotusHD

Banned
I mean, you're the one who brought up Haikyuu to begin with. Naturally people are going to tend to criticize and discuss MHA in the MHA manga thread, other manga be damned lol

NSESN

I think the problem is that he developed one female character really well in the last 2 arcs (Toga) while the others got little.You can argue that Toga did more than Deku in this arc by defeating Lock Rock, stabbing Aizawa and being the reason why the heroes beat Mimic with Twice.
So we see that he can do good when he tries but he isn't trying enough with characters that aren't Toga.
Still, I think it would all be dealt with if he just showed the fight at the gate.

I mean, you're the one who brought up Haikyuu to begin with. Naturally people are going to tend to criticize and discuss MHA in the MHA manga thread, other manga be damned lol

Feels like it's been ratcheting up in a weird way lately. New reading put that into perspective so I thought I'd comment on it :p

Chase17

I think it is important for us all to remember that Bubble girl was the first person to take someone out during this raid.
IIRC anyways
Eh, Eyeshield managed it better and that had a bigger cast to juggle.

I think it's kind of important to keep things in perspective, I suppose. If you treat a series that tries but doesn't hit its full potential worse than a series that doesn't even try, something's a little fucked, no?

I didn't say that Haikyuu makes better use of female characters than MHA. My only point was that in Haikyuu, where there are stretches where a match lasts 40 straight chapters, it is typically less noticeable/concerning that there is no female character taking a role in the main conflict . Should the author not have had people drooling of Kiyoko? Of course. Could the author have done a better job having a female character play a more important role? Certainly, it seems he is trying to now. But because the action is a men's volleyball match, there is nothing that invites the question of "Why isn't a female character involved here?' to the level of this arc in my hero academia where the four most significant female characters were left at the entrance and had their fight off screen. That's all I meant!

Chase17

Holy shit I forgot Bubble girl existed

200.webp

Hmm, I don't see what's weird about it tbh

Some MHA fan you are

The trend week after week is towards downplaying. Criticizing this arc for the way it's handled the female cast is one thing, but now we're talking about how everything that came before it counts for nothing, in as many words. Give it another month and people'll be treating it like a genre-worst example.

The trend week after week is towards downplaying. Criticizing this arc for the way it's handled the female cast is one thing, but now we're talking about how everything that came before it counts for nothing, in as many words. Give it another month and people'll be treating it like a genre-worst example.

As lotus said, it's worse when you actually know the author can handle it pretty good but for no apparent reason decides to mute the female cast in the arc. You can't blame us for this really bad precedent.

I mean, we could go further and ask why Mirio had to be the focus? Why not the girl? Why female heroes seem irrelevant when you compare them to the entire cast of pro heroes? It might be silly, but how interesting it'd have been if the girl was the one working under nighteye and the possible candidate for OfA/ a representation of heroicism, as mirio was portrayed?

I know it's asking too much for a shonen, but well, after Ochako vs Bakugou i kind of continued expecting greatness.

Ascheroth

No, people aren't forgetting what came before it. I dare say, people are criticizing this arc more harshly because they didn't forget. Horikoshi can do and already did better than this, so being disappointed that he can't meet the standards he himself set in this arc isn't anything unusual.

Meffer

No, people aren't forgetting what came before it. I dare say, people are criticizing this arc more harshly because they didn't forget. Horikoshi can do and already did better than this, so being disappointed that he can't meet the standards he himself set in this arc isn't anything unusual.
Well granted he was ill during making this arc (dude had to take a break). This likely affected the arc considerably and it has gotten long in the tooth (it's the longest arc so far).

LotusHD

Banned

Well uhh, guess we'll see lol

I know it's asking too much for a shonen, but well, after Ochako vs Bakugou i kind of continued expecting greatness.

This fight was literally the start of why I thought things would go about a lot differently for the female characters lol

---

Random thought: I wonder how the language used to describe Bakugou would change if he was a girl, but kept the exact same personality.

kirblar

I can't imagine Bakugou as a female character without big changes, only because Bakugou (at the start) is nearly every negative stereotypically masculine personality trait incarnate. Except for the ones they gave to Mineta.

Meffer

I can't imagine Bakugou as a female character without big changes, only because Bakugou (at the start) is nearly every negative stereotypically masculine personality trait incarnate. Except for the ones they gave to Mineta.
Didn't he draw Bakugo as a chick in a joke drawing. Personality was the same.

caliph95

Well he was supposed to be overly polite but Hiroshiki hated him

Also there is his mom who is level headed on comparison but his personality will likely change

Veelk

Banned
Bakugou's mom is pretty chill at her middle age, but I feel it's clear that she was a female Katsuki when she was younger.

There is no such thing as a masculine trait that is inherent only to men. Masculinity is just stuff we associate with men. It's like a stereotype and has never been something I saw as anything other than a social construct people project onto others, so yeah, a hypothetically female Bakugou is no way an obstacle for me to imagine.

LotusHD

Banned

Meh, it's easy to picture, but anyways, I can picture people's reactions at least lol

Like I just imagine people shipping her and Deku regardless of what she does. Could also easily see her being given the tsundere label more casually, especially for those moments throughout the manga where Bakugou was actually pretty introspective, like that one chapter after Bakugou fought Deku. Little stuff like that.

Philippo

BakuMom was probably into punk music.

BakuDad was probably into Weezer.

Heh, just imagine those asshole girls from american teen movies.

Veelk

Banned
That's kinda my point, toxic/negative feminine traits present very differently from toxic/negative masculine traits. Both in media and real life.

Toxic traits are PERCEIVED differently based on gender. And you're arguing that to be female is necessarily to be feminine/to be male is to be masculine. Male and female are genders, Masculinity and femininity are social values.

There is minimal argument about any trait being inherent to any gender. The best argument is that a character like Bakugou is statistically more likely to be male in our society, based on a combination of genetic/social forces shaping their personality (though imo it's far more social than genetic. I'd love to see what kind of social norms an egalitarian but still militaristic society would produce)

but there is nothing suggesting a female Bakugou can't exist, and it's easy peasy to imagine it. Just take Bakugo and imagine he has tits.

Top Bottom