• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian577

Banned
Why must the fandom do this to every antagonist?
dust_to_dust_part_1_by_silvathebrony-d5o7mh4.jpg

Hi ponygaf, I want to make a PMV and I will need to cut movie parts, put the song and subtitle it. What software can I use?

I believe Sony Vegas would be suitable for that.

Windows live movie maker on Windows 7 is actually pretty good. But I think Sony Vegas Platinum (not Pro) is an all around great tool. It's dirt cheap compared to the big ones and very robust and flexible. Also p.m. incoming.

Windows Movie Maker :D

I like how she moved to a new house, put up the posters, then tears them down.

It almost certainly won't be. That person's plushes usually go for hundreds of dollars on eBay.
I picked up a pretty awesomely done Rarity plush at Anime North this year for $85, so I consider myself pretty lucky for that. Unfortunately they didn't have the right colour of minky to create Applejack. Though I realize the price these fetch online so I would be ready to drop down a couple bills to get one that I'd really like within reason.

Cheerilee

Re: Lightning Dust, right after a Trixie redemption episode we get a character that comes in and ends up outdoing her in being a jerk.

By which you mean Spitfire, right?

I mean, the first thing she does is start berating everypony, and telling them that they're not potential "Wonderbolt material" because they aren't already Wonderbolts. In the logic of the show, I'm pretty sure that Rainbow Dash is actually supposed to be more than "Wonderbolt" material, she's "Legendary Hero" material (I would guess that RD is as far above Wonderbolt as she thinks Wonderbolt is above her), but her sights are currently set on Wonderbolt. And Spitfire apparently has two Rainbow Dashes in her class this year. But apparently beating people down and breaking them is a military thing, so Spitfire will do that.

Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust show that they're both excellent and they both speak the same language and get along, and they smash Wonderbolt records.

RD obviously tries to excel in her spin-recovery test, and smashes records. LD tries to do the same thing with a handicap. These two are playing around and testing each others limits as well as their own. So long as their competition doesn't get out-of-control, this is good for them, and for the Wonderbolts.

But Spitfire uses this moment to step in and apparently reward LD for recklessness, while penalizing RD for not being reckless enough (even though RD is currently smashing Wonderbolt records). Spitfire created a terribly destructive environment, and then she walked away. Or any problems that she did see, she actually approved of.

LD didn't show any real leadership as a lead pony, and made some mistakes. She ignored RD's request to slow down for an obstacle and got her wing pony's wing injured as a result. And then she didn't check RD's condition, negligently brushing off the suggestion that she was injured (LD, being in front, didn't see it happen, nor was she watching how RD flew). But Spitfire was standing right there and did the same as LD, scowling disapprovingly at RD's claim of injury.

Oh hey, then Spitfire was also being a dick to her own trumpeter.

Then Spitfire gives them a test of precision flying, and says that speed doesn't matter, but LD doesn't believe her. So LD pushes others over and turns it into a test of speed as well as flying. And she was right (not exactly right about the pushing part), Spitfire loves what LD did. RD's not comfortable with it, but LD lays down some hard truth about how "Wonderbolts" are supposed to be able to handle rough flying, and how the whole system is just there to give an automatic pass to ponies like RD and LD and push the others out. This isn't an "academy class", they're not learning, they're being tested.

Finally, LD proposes a way for them to totally smash the last record, and RD agrees, because that's what Spitfire is expecting of them. LD bit off more than her team could chew with this plan, and they should have controlled the tornado better, but all it did was cause a little property damage, and put some Earth Ponies in harm's way, but nobody expected Earth Ponies to come wandering onto a Pegasus testing field. And it got the job done, and it gave RD a chance to show off with an amazing rescue.

LD was kind of an insensitive jerk while RD was venting, but her main point was that all of her actions were Wonderbolt-approved. And when RD went on her moral rant against Spitfire, Spitfire didn't get it. The only change in her attitude came when RD quit over it. Now all of a sudden Spitfire has a change of heart so she strips LD of her rank (and may have kicked her out of the program, which would be just ridiculous).

Spitfire 2.0 is just terrible. Apparently her only desire was to see records smashed under her watch, and new records put up under her name that would last for and extremely long time.

If she was any kind of a leader, she would have broken RD and LD into two different teams (each one saddled with a "lost cause" recruit) to see which one of them (both with an abundance of personal ability) could develop the skills to bring up the ability level of those around them.

Although ideally, Spitfire should never have been in this role. Spitfire and Soarin were initially portrayed as just being ordinary pilots, and RD already won them over. This episode should have been about RD trying to win over a nameless drill instructor, because knowing the pilots and having their support doesn't always mean you get to join the team, not if the current team members aren't the ones who decide who gets to be on the team.

Spitfire's better role would be as a current female member of the Wondebolts. Rainbow Dash wishes she could be "Spitfire the Wonderbolt". But Spitfire is just Spitfire. Spitfire's mission in life isn't to be the character of "Spitfire the Wonderbolt", that's her job, and maybe she loves it, but it's not the definition of who she is. RD's hopes and dreams are currently immature, which is normal.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
By which you mean Spitfire, right?

I mean, the first thing she does is start berating everypony, and telling them that they're not potential "Wonderbolt material" because they aren't already Wonderbolts. In the logic of the show, I'm pretty sure that Rainbow Dash is actually supposed to be more than "Wonderbolt" material, she's "Legendary Hero" material (I would guess that RD is as far above Wonderbolt as she thinks Wonderbolt is above her), but her sights are currently set on Wonderbolt. And Spitfire apparently has two Rainbow Dashes in her class this year. But apparently beating people down and breaking them is a military thing, so Spitfire will do that.

Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust show that they're both excellent and they both speak the same language and get along, and they smash Wonderbolt records.

They beat the academy records.

brian577

Banned
To be fair, the treatment of Lightning was more than a little harsh, at least if you interpret ripping her badge off as kicking her out of the Wonderbolt program instead of simply being demoted.

Being kicked out for putting civilians lives at risk and not taking responsibility is harsh? In the real world you'd probably be looking at jail time even if you admitted your mistakes. Add to to fact that one of Wonderbolts primary responsibilities appears to rescue operations (Sonic Rainboom, Secret of My Excess) there would be no place for a maverick who isn't a team player and doesn't take the job serious.

Cheerilee

They beat the academy records.

A valid distinction, but doesn't really change what I was getting at. It's a Wonderbolt Academy record, and by default we can presume that all of the current Wonderbolts went through the Academy. When Spitfire and Soarin went there, the records would seem to indicate that they couldn't do what RD and LD were doing.

RD and LD are both more than Wonderbolt material, they're exceptional Wonderbolt material.

Being kicked out for putting civilians lives at risk and not taking responsibility is harsh? In the real world you'd probably be looking at jail time even if you admitted your mistakes. Add to to fact that one of Wonderbolts primary responsibilities appears to rescue operations (Sonic Rainboom, Secret of My Excess) there would be no place for a maverick who isn't a team player and doesn't take the job serious.

GM02T.jpg

What are you saying newbie?

Gotchaye

I think Cheerilee comprehensively demolished this a few posts up. LD was doing exactly what the Wonderbolts seemed to want, and it's a little hard to blame her for not anticipating a hot air balloon full of non-flyers. It's a bit weird for Spitfire to suddenly turn on her given that up until a few minutes prior it seems like Spitfire would have approved.

And I don't think it's reasonable to expect military-style discipline from the Wonderbolts. Pegasi may have a cultural affinity for the trappings of a military force, but it doesn't seem to go very deep. The Wonderbolts are celebrity stuntponies who like to show off. Look at what Spitfire's doing in her office - she's signing pictures of herself, not participating in a military bureaucracy.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, if Spitfire at the end had said that she put RD with TD to see if she could handle TD's recklessness, and see hwo RD functions mas a follower, that would have been one thing, but Spitfire came off at the end like she had tot hink about what RD said, and that RD was right.

brian577

Banned
The Wonderbolts are celebrity stuntponies who like to show off. Look at what Spitfire's doing in her office - she's signing pictures of herself, not participating in a military bureaucracy.

Makes you wonder why Williams made them look like a military organization in the first place.

Cheerilee

Makes you wonder why Williams made them look like a military organization in the first place.

It's not really clear what the Wonderbolts are. On the face of it, they're apparently Equestria's most elite flyers and they perform in air shows. And... they jump in to help when they see danger right in front of them? Well that's just being responsible. But then... they get sent it to "do something" about a dragon rampage, and fail miserably?

And they seem to imply that the Academy is designed to select train flyers for a spot as one of the most elite flyers in the world, but then they appear to have dozens of support staff who are also regarded as Wonderbolts? Are ponies like Cloud Chaser being considered for support positions if they can't cut it as members of the main team? And then there's the new suggestion that the ponies who make up the outward image of the Wonderbolts might all be as two-faced as Spitfire, and have "real" positions in the organization that are more important than their PR duties.

I think this is the sort of thing where Jayson and Meghan are supposed to have a vision for what the Wonderbolts are, and maybe the writers built this vision, but they're supposed to control it and make sure it makes sense with what they want it to be. I kind of wonder if the Rainbow Factory has become part of Jayson's canon.

Gotchaye

Pretty spot on, except I believe she has been finding ways to embarrass Dashie not just in this episode but ever since The Best Night Ever.

Is Spitfire the one that's just standing there while the Ponyville pegasi nearly fail to get the tornado going to get water to Cloudsdale?

$200

Banned
Is Spitfire the one that's just standing there while the Ponyville pegasi nearly fail to get the tornado going to get water to Cloudsdale?

Yep.

Some reckon she didn't interfere because the pegasi there were going for the record initially, but because they were struggling to reach 800 unless Spitfire could produce hundreds of wing power alone it wouldn't have mattered.

lots of text...

This. All of this.

I still think they could have fixed it by either making her a different character or just simply adding a couple lines acknowledging that she was actually Spitfire.

In the beginning when she grilled Dash about quitting she could have said, "You may have saved my life, but don't think I'm going to make it easy for you" and at the end she could've been "aware" of Lightning Dust's intentions and reveal the LD was a lot like her when she was younger and really needed a cool head (RD) to save her when she was reckless.

I dunno, just tossing the idea out there. The fact that she seemed COMPLETELY oblivious even encouraging such dangerous action just stumped me.

Andrew J.

It's not really clear what the Wonderbolts are. On the face of it, they're apparently Equestria's most elite flyers and they perform in air shows. And... they jump in to help when they see danger right in front of them? Well that's just being responsible. But then... they get sent it to "do something" about a dragon rampage, and fail miserably?

They're probably modeled after real-life airshow squadrons like the Blue Angels, which are often part of the military. Given the generally peaceful nature of Equestria, it wouldn't surprise me if the Wonderbolts were the entire air force.

Also, pegasi are naturally inclined to military organization, going by the history from "Hearth's Warming Eve."

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Also, pegasi are naturally inclined to military organization, going by the history from "Hearth's Warming Eve."

I don't think that's fair. We've seen many background Pegasus ponies who just carry about their days normally. Even in Hurricane Fluttershy only a few seemed competitive about the whole thing, most just wanted to better themselves.

This. All of this.

I still think they could have fixed it by either making her a different character or just simply adding a couple lines acknowledging that she was actually Spitfire.

In the beginning when she grilled Dash about quitting she could have said, "You may have saved my life, but don't think I'm going to make it easy for you" and at the end she could've been "aware" of Lightning Dust's intentions and reveal the LD was a lot like her when she was younger and really needed a cool head (RD) to save her when she was reckless.

I dunno, just tossing the idea out there. The fact that she seemed COMPLETELY oblivious even encouraging such dangerous action just stumped me.

I didn't even think she was Spitfire at first, thanks to the change in demeanor and outfit. Would have been better if she hadn't been, for sure.

Cheerilee

Yep.

Some reckon she didn't interfere because the pegasi there were going for the record initially, but because they were struggling to reach 800 unless Spitfire could produce hundreds of wing power alone it wouldn't have mattered.

Yeah, the water-funnel thing was a necessary civic duty, given some added excitement because they decided to make a game out of which city could do it better.

Spitfire specifically refused to help because her assistance wouldn't be fair for the purpose of scoring, and she was just there to watch.

Ponyville was knocked out of serious contention by a viral contagion, but RD felt that Ponyville had a duty to get the job done regardless.

IIRC, Ponyville was the equivalent of one average Pony away from getting the job done in the bare-minimum way, and then Fluttershy came along with her below-average performance.

That was the point (maybe earlier even) where Spitfire should've stepped in and helped to get the job done, which would have disqualified Ponyville, but Spitfire chose to watch RD/Ponyville land a properly confirmed score of "total failure" (even though this is a civic duty that needs to get done) rather than give them a disqualification they could be proud of. Everyone's just lucky that Fluttershy went Super-Saiyan.

At the time, I didn't really believe this interpretation of events, I figured it was just something the writers overlooked and was fun to pounce on, but in light of Spitfire's current personality, it fits.

Same here. I was half expecting them to reveal that she was the real Spitfire's twin sister or something.
Spitfire employs a body double/stunt double. She has high-ranking military/political power, so she doesn't need to perform. The Wonderbolt costume covers cutie marks. The "Spitfire" who RD won previous favor with was a double.

Wall of fucking Hoots

I'll ASSUME this is a yes. Rest assured, the projects that have been paid for shouldn't take that long. Patience, you see, is key!

I do admit, I am having my brother do a complete re-sculpt of 'Burrito', but the burro shouldn't be much longer. CMCs may be posted soon as well (Shame Scoots mane is a pain.. oh well, my sister likes it.)

Regarding the Pegasi history: I do see their Race as being proud, but not necessarily militarily or fighters proud (although I am sure a Pegasi in flight with good weapons, and skills would be quite deadly).

Again, my whole thing with the episode, would have been solved if they did a "R. Lee Ermey" type independent D.I. A hard-ass a brute Peagsus who was in charge of training the recruits, but have Spitfire or Soarin' oversee. Simple administration AND could remove personal biases that may have been harbored unknowingly by the active Wonderbolts.

Of course, now that I think of it, it was brought up that Wonderbolts are simply a performance wing of the Royal Guards (The Armored Pegasi and Bat-ponies obviously doing the "real" work behind the scenes and/or at the Castle). That said, even the private, Corporate-funded, stunt fighters I have seen in other Air shows hire, and train very similar to Military branches. Perhaps, they are like that, and are sponsored by Filthy Rcich or some other wealthy pony, but still keep the appearance of a quasi-militant organization? (I have no idea.. I am just throwing shit out here now!!!)

Watching the second time.. I was hoping Lightning Dust was a plant of sorts (crazy, I know since I had seen the episode previously. I am insane...). It would have made sense and given Dash MORE growth. Test Rainbow to deal with a rouge attitude, or someone who takes risks unnecessarily. Of course in the end, there was no plan, and I was faced with the two-dimensional reality.

I shall also contend the other ponies shouldn't have even been near or allowed to be near the POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS training grounds/air space too... but I needn't repeat my disdain for a certain Pink Pony more than I have already.

Damn wall of text, learn to stop writing!!!

Gotchaye

I don't think that's fair. We've seen many background Pegasus ponies who just carry about their days normally. Even in Hurricane Fluttershy only a few seemed competitive about the whole thing, most just wanted to better themselves.

I don't think I'd say that they're inclined towards military organization, but I think it's pretty plausible that they have a cultural affinity for military-type things. The historical reenactment implies both that pegasi have a military history and that those roots are an important part of modern pegasus culture. It's also worth keeping in mind that Ponyville is unusually integrated and may tend to attract oddball pegasi like Fluttershy.

I shall also contend the other ponies shouldn't have even been near or allowed to be near the POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS training grounds/air space too... but I needn't repeat my disdain for a certain Pink Pony more than I have already.
Speaking to some of your other points too, Equestria isn't much for rules and organization (and, well, thinking things through). Remember in Winter Wrap Up Twilight apparently invented the notion of efficiency. Flim and Flam had an obviously superior method for making cider, and nobody seemed to notice after the first batch. I would be surprised if there were more than a handful of bureaucrats in Equestria.

Likewise for rules. They don't really seem to exist; nothing stops ponies from doing stupid or dangerous things. To be fair, the accidental death rate is surprisingly low regardless. Maybe most ponies just don't have the inclination or time to get into trouble, and particularly to go around in hot air balloons; I don't think we've actually seen one other than Twilight's. If I keep posting here y'all will probably notice me coming back to this well a lot, but a lot of the show doesn't make much sense unless you keep in mind just how privileged Twilight is.

Cheerilee

Regarding the Pegasi history: I do see their Race as being proud, but not necessarily militarily or fighters proud (although I am sure a Pegasi in flight with good weapons, and skills would be quite deadly).

It's because Hearth's Warming Eve suggested that (in the past) Earth Ponies had elected representatives for their government, Unicorns embraced Monarchy, and the Pegasi lived under Military Rule.

I think we're sort of meant to believe that these government styles represented something fundamental to the nature of each race.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think we're sort of meant to believe that these government styles represented something fundamental to the nature of each race.
Nah, only culture. Earth ponies need to cooperate to get things done. Unicorns get locked into a power level battle with each other. Pegasi need to be regimented to stay safe in the air.

ThomasLight

Neo Member

Because these folks are part of the military would be my guess
http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/

I think Cheerilee comprehensively demolished this a few posts up. LD was doing exactly what the Wonderbolts seemed to want, and it's a little hard to blame her for not anticipating a hot air balloon full of non-flyers. It's a bit weird for Spitfire to suddenly turn on her given that up until a few minutes prior it seems like Spitfire would have approved.

And I don't think it's reasonable to expect military-style discipline from the Wonderbolts. Pegasi may have a cultural affinity for the trappings of a military force, but it doesn't seem to go very deep. The Wonderbolts are celebrity stuntponies who like to show off. Look at what Spitfire's doing in her office - she's signing pictures of herself, not participating in a military bureaucracy.

I disagree, regardless of being able to anticipate ponies in an airballon or not, her actions put them in danger. If I do something, but don't anticipate negative consequences I still expect to be punished if the bad out weighs the good.

Gotchaye

I disagree, regardless of being able to anticipate ponies in an airballon or not, her actions put them in danger. If I do something, but don't anticipate negative consequences I still expect to be punished if the bad out weighs the good.
Why? Negligence is one thing, but we typically don't hold people criminally responsible for things they couldn't reasonably have anticipated. Civil liability is different, but clearly LD's punishment isn't meant as compensation for Twilight and friends. Military and police policy is typically also not to punish people who take all reasonable precautions. Probably we're too willing to give police the benefit of the doubt when they shoot someone who turns out to be unarmed or bust into the wrong house and kill someone's dog.

There's not much of a judgment call here. It's not clear that any non-flyers other than the main cast have ever tried to go to Cloudsdale or the Wonderbolt academy.

McNum

I did a thing again.

Can you guess the visual pun? It's
The Jack of Apples

Was fun to draw, even if it was kind of difficult to link the top and bottom Applejacks together seamlessly. I think i did alright with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom