• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
GaX2M.gif

... our hero was defeated in the first Community thread

41nxY.gif

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Bronystate got an interview with Jason Thiessen.
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/bronyville-extra-weekend-with-jayson.html

Someone over at the ponygoons forums did a writeup.

- Culture at Studio B is relaxed and casual (duh)

- There's creative input at all levels and freedom to add or tweak things as it progresses through production; he restates that Hasbro is generally quite lax

- Hasbro doesn't sit in on the storywriting round-tables, but they do receive and approve story ideas and return comments/input (which the studio sometimes genuinely thinks is an improvement)

- Reading between the lines, Pucca is really his only prior directing experience, and his getting the FiM gig was a pretty lucky break for a new up-and-coming director who doesn't really know what he's doing yet

- Jayson started out as a classical animator, has worked in lots of different disciplines (obviously); directing is "like drawing with boxing gloves on"

- Personal favorite episode (he previously said Sonic Rainboom): each new one that comes out is his new favorite, but he goes on at length about A Friend In Deed. The felt thing was his own idea, like "We don't usually do this kind of thing, but maybe just this one time"; he had to get Hasbro's okay on it. He was originally going to do it really crudely, but got carried away. He says they "wouldn't just do that arbitrarily", which I take to mean they probably won't do a wacky stylized episode just because.

- The fandom's presence affects him mostly in stuff like how careful he has to be with info he leaks on Twitter and the like. He's very careful about spoilers (a common running theme with him), and for him it's all because of the artistic integrity he applies to the show's linear presentation.

- They haven't had to deviate very much at all from what Lauren originally put together in the show bible; evolution has been organic and not in conflict (they don't ever go back and consult it anymore, they just "know" the characters)

- He doesn't have his own OC pony. But someone at BroNYCon in September gave him a custom sculpted pony of him, and he keeps it in his office :3:

- He was involved early enough to be part of the VA casting.

- One of Andrea Libman's most impressive abilities is her speed; they don't have to cut her lines together or anything

- He doesn't really have a good answer on comparing the ponies to their G1/G3 counterparts; as I assumed from my earlier talk with him, he just isn't that familiar with oldpony.

- "The point of any series is to grow the characters"-- he's not spoiling anything, but clearly character development and evolution is one of the biggest things in his mind. "We try to remember the past, like 'Oh yeah, now she can do this'" (i.e. RD reading Daring Do)

- He's always coming up with his own ideas for future pitches-- no specifics right now

- Why do people keep asking this "What would you like to see the fandom do" question? He still hasn't come up with a pat answer. "Just keep being awesome fans! And, uh, be aware of copyright laws! :haw:"

- The phenomenon "feels unprecedented" to him. He's inspired by the variety of different kinds of people in the fandom, and enjoys thinking it's an expression of the show's theme of friendship and acceptance. "I couldn't be more proud. Love ya!"

(Intermission, followed by a new set of questions from fans in the audience at the con)

- His dad used to draw the Road Runner when he was a kid, and he was fascinated by that-- that plus a Disney filmstrip viewer thing were formative experiences in his animation career

- Shows he's a fan of: classic WB, Popeye, b/w Mickey Mouse. Hey, he watched MLP as a kid, "it was better than the news". Ren & Stimpy, Simpsons, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Disney Afternoon shows. Nowadays, he doesn't really have time to keep up with what's current. (My own editorializing: seems like he isn't keeping tabs on what the "state of the art" is, for comparative purposes; he might not even have a sense for just how far above the bar FiM is in many ways.)

- Genre stuff (like Daring Do) just follows from the situation; they do whatever's necessary to tell the story well.

- Lauren is not a part of Season 3 (except in spirit)

- He rewatched the premiere eps recently and was all like "Whoah... we've really improved since then"

- In writing, the story generally comes first, and the moral is developed over the course of the writing (though in some cases, like Read It And Weep, it's the reverse). Very ad-hoc. Also, Jayson isn't very privy to the writers and their development process, which is something he's mentioned before.

- Trying to articulate the "secret sauce"; Hasbro's thought when coming up with Hub shows was to appeal to adults who grew up with 80s properties (for nostalgia) and to their kids as well. His insight into Hasbro's early-on development with Lauren is pretty speculative; to him it just feels like something that "just happened", and couldn't be reproduced intentionally. He really feels like this is a very valuable thing for the network/Hasbro and that any company in their shoes would be falling all over themselves to try to reproduce this phenomenon and capitalize on it.

- The community interaction/DA comments and so on just seemed natural-- nobody ever told him and his team that nobody was "supposed" to communicate openly with fans, so they just sort of did

- He's bought some of the toys (for his daughter for Xmas); Hasbro has sent them some swag ("they're a very good client")

- Artists in the studio have pony toys all over the place, including some monster-sculpture G1 ponies that have been reassembled in weird ways. There's fan-art up on the walls ( :awesomedash: )

- Songs aren't free; adding a song to an episode is a cost-benefit decision, planned carefully in advance. They're considered the highlights of the show. (He's had Winter Wrap Up stuck in his head for months on end, even prior to airing)

- Screwloose is his new favorite BG pony (thanks to a custom someone gave him); he's tentatively throwing down for Pinkie as his favorite main-cast pony. Pinkie being a fourth-wall breaker was straight out of Lauren's guidance.

- He watched G1 when he was a kid, but he didn't retain any of it really. "That pink pony show I used to bide my time with before school." He does remember an episode where a pony wished for it to stop raining, and then a drought happened.

- He thinks the show could potentially sustain a movie, and thinks it would be really cool (especially if they were to go with him as the director--not a foregone conclusion, TV being a different thing)

- Production timeline: 9 months to finish the first episode (started Nov. 2009). 5-7 episodes going at any given time, dividing resources.

- Really challenging scenes: in SFS, the final reveal of the dresses kinda fought them, and Lauren had to fly in and help work on storyboards and develop a sequence that worked (it wasn't quite how she originally conceived it). Also the Elements transformation in the premiere was tricky, especially since they were still just figuring out the tech.

- All the backgrounds are "painted" in Flash; Jeff Manson(?) is the BG painter who sets up the color keys and makes Flash sing and dance. Zoomable backgrounds make a huge difference in flexibility of staging. Flash is temperamental (especially with large files); one of the big technical challenges is when Flash can't cope with huge crowd shots and the like.

- All the animation is hand-done--no ActionScript, just tweening. Premade animation includes the run cycle, walk cycle, trot cycle, in each of 8 angles (plus Pinkie's bounce). Also a few things like eye blinks and hair bounces. But all the rest is custom.

- Location layouts are generally known in a rough sense, but it's loose--i.e. there isn't some canonical map of towns or interior floorplans. They've futzed a bit with trying to get things like windows to line up between Twilight's loft and the tree's exterior, but they don't focus too hard on it, especially when it would get limiting. "It's flexible."

- Fan community's effect on his day-to-day: he does follow it and tries to keep up with what the daily topics of discussion are, but he doesn't let it influence the show too much. He tries to be tight-lipped about things he lets the fans know, but this seems to come down to protecting against spoilers rather than much in the way of trade secrets or the like.

- Journalists ask him "what about this show is attracting bronies?" all the time; I guess we're not the only ones hungering to interview him.

- He's intrigued by the "girls watching guys' TV is okay, the reverse is 'weird'" phenomenon, and he's excited to see what social effects it's having. He asks the fans to "Keep doing what you're doing".

- He was amused by 4chan's creating a /mlp section

- He's still blown away by the idea of so many people hanging on his every word and lining up for his autograph

- "Keep being magical! :haw: "

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just realized that big mac is the only one with hooves.

And yet people go gay for braeburn

Serious response to desire for "delicious" human ponies:

tumblr_m035qfuSsN1r5wduoo1_500.jpg

My Little Sweetheart, a 100%-For-Charity Community Project between over 25 fanartists, will go on sale this Friday, March 2nd, featuring over 50 works of art!

Stay tuned for more info…!

Fuuuuu I want that, but there's no way I can get it in a physical format, lest the family question why I ordered something in the mail.

PBalfredo

Alright ponyGAF, what's the current consensus on the best introduction episode?

I got a friend and classmate who mentioned he's interested in checking out MLP based on hearing it's like Foster's and Power Puff Girls, which he enjoyed. I think I'll be his ambassador to ponies. The question is, which episode to start with?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I got a friend and classmate who mentioned he's interested in checking out MLP based on hearing it's like Foster's and Power Puff Girls, which he enjoyed. I think I'll be his ambassador to ponies. The question is, which episode to start with?

Start with the first, that's what I did.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Depends what type of guy he is.

Is he a Star Trek fan? if so "Swarm fo the Century" of the season 2 premier episodes "The Return of Harmony" would work well as they have the nice Trekkie jokes.

Does he get a kick out of musicals? "May the Best Pet Win" I think has earned a spot as a good introduction episode by having a solid episode, and the series least "girly" song. It's a fun introduction to the series, downside is only a few characters get good screen time, but it's a good "there will be singing" episode.

"Dragonshy" and "Sonic Rainboom" tend to be the most recommended intro episodes, solid moments for all the characters (more so with Dragonshy), and basically fun stories for both.

Also, the pilot really is a good place to start. All the characters really do get fantastic introductions, and it's a fun adventure episode. Only downside really is that it's an adventure episode, and most the series are more mellow slice of life episodes.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hey.

Hey.

Hey guys.

Did you know..... that there are grown men, that watch...

MY LITTLE PONY?

It's true! I couldn't believe it either!

blamite

I'd start fromt he beginning, skipping some of the worse episodes. Like, start with the first two, Dragonshy, Bridle Gossip, Swarm. Maybe Applebuck Season. Then if he wants to keep going he can just go in chronological order, and go back to the ones he skipped later. Mose of the first set of the episodes are pretty good introductions, skipping ahead to something from later doesn't really seem like a good idea to me.

Cheerilee

Well the mlp dvd comes out tomorrow ,wnyone going get it?

I'm fairly annoyed that it's not a season 1 Blu-ray box set, but I'm getting it anyways.

I preordered it with Amazon, so apparently I can expect it to arrive sometime between September 17 and September 20 of this year.

Feels kinda late with it being page 3 already, but w/e, here's some Philomena rising from the ashes, to symbolize the new thread or something lame like that(or just me wishing she'd at least get a cameo in another episode...)
gQfM3l.jpg

$200

Banned

Ask him whether he likes musicals, if he does then Episode 2.15 - The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 would be a good introduction. Otherwise starts with episode 1.1.

Nikashi

Banned
Hello, checking in. *brohoof*

God not another whole week before a new episode, going through pony withdrawal here ><

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Man, is the notion of value among the MLP:FiM fan community warped or what? Plushies keep going for thousands of dollars (nothing against the workmanship that making those plushies demands - trust me, I've been there), and even apparent trifles go for way more than one would think reasonable. People really love this show that much, but this seems ridiculous.

Personally, I blame it on Hasbro's monolithic marketing model.

judhudson

So the new DVD that comes out today...I wonder how many stores will have them in stock, and wonder if it'll be a hot item in which they'll be all gone (I'm guessing many stores won't have a high amount, since it's a kids dvd, or will they?) I know I can order one out of Amazon, but personally find it easier to just grab one the next time I'm at the store. Price markup shouldn't change I hope ($10).

Link Man

Banned
So the new DVD that comes out today...I wonder how many stores will have them in stock, and wonder if it'll be a hot item in which they'll be all gone (I'm guessing many stores won't have a high amount, since it's a kids dvd, or will they?) I know I can order one out of Amazon, but personally find it easier to just grab one the next time I'm at the store. Price markup shouldn't change I hope ($10).

I suspect there will be no hullabaloo whatsoever. They'll probably just be thrown in with all the kids' DVDs.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder if jelly pony will still return.

And yes I refuse to call him as Hugh Jelly because the fandom naming is retarded.

Xavien

Since this is a new thread, I'd thought i'd post in it for once instead of lurking.

Without further ado...

My List:

1) Applejack
2) Pinkie Pie
3) Rainbow Dash
4) Rarity
5) Twilight Sparkle
6) Fluttershy

Can't get enough of this show, find myself getting more eager for the next episode as the season goes on.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhh. A new thread with a much better title. Time to make my mark and take my leave

I've heard that before.

But then ponies.

Since this is a new thread, I'd thought i'd post in it for once instead of lurking.

Without further ado...

My List:

1) Applejack
2) Pinkie Pie
3) Rainbow Dash
4) Rarity
5) Twilight Sparkle
6) Fluttershy

Can't get enough of this show, find myself getting more eager for the next episode as the season goes on.

602xe.gif

Enjoy you're stay in our plush new thread. And remember: tithing is 10% OFF THE TOP! That's gross income people, not net. Please, don't force us to audit.

LuffyZoro

Without further ado...

My List:

1) Applejack
2) Pinkie Pie
3) Rainbow Dash
4) Rarity
5) Twilight Sparkle
6) Fluttershy

Surely you accidentally flipped that list around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom