• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheerilee

S4 |OT| is almost ready. Not many changes to make since last year since we've had such good ops in the past to cut and paste from, and I like the topic headers I made last year so I am keeping them. I can pick out a nice temporary header image if Myke isn't done with his yet.

So did we decide on a thread title yet?

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season 4 |OT| Unbridled By Syndication
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season 4 |OT| Twilight Princess Returns
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season 4 |OT| More Horses Than Top Gear

"Twilight Princess Returns" works even better than "Twilight Princess", which already had my vote.

Also, the general lack of comment on my proposal for removing the spoiler restrictions on the |OT| can probably be taken as consent.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Oh wow...

MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDS FOREVER #2

Jeremy Whitley (w), Tony Fleecs (a), Amy Mebberson (c), Lea Hernandez

The Cutie Mark Crusaders have done everything they can think of to get their cutie marks. But there's one creature of chaos who might have some ideas they would never think of... Discord! When our pint-sized heroines start working with the unpredictable trickster, the results are bound to get unusual! Will Ponyville be able to survive their friendship?

kbHkFCu.jpg

"Twilight Princess Returns" works even better than "Twilight Princess", which already had my vote.

Also, the general lack of comment on my proposal for removing the spoiler restrictions on the |OT| can probably be taken as consent.

I'm fine with that. I'll make the only spoiler rule that you can't discuss leaked episodes outside of spoilers until after they air. Not that there have been that many leaked episodes in the past.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Oh wow...
Hm, Tony Fleecs? He did the art on the Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy issues of the micro-series. I am not very fond of his work, to tell you the truth. His proportions, strokes, framing and motion are... all over the place. A bit amateurish, actually.

My current ranking of MLP comic artists is:

1) Andy Price (MLP:FiM #1-4, #9-12, MLP:MS #3, MLP:A 2013) - Not really faithful to the show, but really professional and full of personality and attention to detail. Awesome expression work and visual humor. Panel work must be seen to be believed.
2) Ben Bates (MLP:MS #5, #7) - Simple but very effortless, dynamic stroke. Turned from good to awesome when he dropped the conventional inks and shading he used in #5, and went to what appears to be a more personal style in #7.
3) Amy Mebberson (MLP:FiM #5-8, MLP:MS #8) - The artist who most closely resembles what I imagine a straight translation of the cartoon to comic form to be. Good designs with excellent consistency and great expression work, but nothing that really screams "awesome".
4) Brenda Hickey (MLP:MS #6) - Bold strokes and good expression work. Plays a little too much by the standard comic book rules, in my opinion. Could rise in the ranks, but I would have to see her takes on other characters before making my mind.
5) Agnes Garbowska (MLP:MS #9) - With just one issue and only three main characters drawn, there is not much to go by, but I do like the watercolor-like colors used in her art.
6) Tony Fleecs (MLP:MS #2, #4, MLP:A 2013) - Bad consistency and more misses than hits on expression work. His poses are just awkward, lacking dynamism. Tries too hard to follow the show designs, and fails.
7) Thomas Zahler (MLP:MS #1) - Just awful anatomy and almost no shading at all. Worse than most fan-artists in dA.

BDGAME

My daughter is watching a lot of Equestria Girls and ask me to buy a doll for her. Everyone already know about the expansive prices of the Brazil, right?

To short the story, I need to pay U$ 40 dollars in a Twilight doll. At least my daughter is happy, but I can't stop asking myself how much that doll coast in USA. Can anyone inform me?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
My daughter is watching a lot of Equestria Girls and ask me to buy a doll for her. Everyone already know about the expansive prices of the Brazil, right?

To short the story, I need to pay U$ 40 dollars in a Twilight doll. At least my daughter is happy, but I can't stop asking myself how much that doll coast in USA. Can anyone inform me?
Amazon is your friend!

I feel your pain, BDGAME. Dat PS4 price, for instance. If not for my family, I would have left this country already and gone back to Portugal, crisis and all.

$200

Banned

Don't buy those EG dolls, they look super awful.

Get her a nice 4DE pony plushie instead :3

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
You didn't even tell me when it would be up for me to have an illustration done. This made me extremely annoyed.

Sorry, I thought it was assumed it would go up a week before as most |OT| threads do. I didn't want to bug you about it either >< .

I chose the header because it's neat and generic at the same time. When you finish the real header, I'll put that up instead. :)

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Sorry, I thought it was assumed it would go up a week before as most |OT| threads do. I didn't want to bug you about it either >< .

I chose the header because it's neat and generic at the same time. When you finish the real header, I'll put that up instead. :)
By that time, the thread will already be on its sixth or seventh page, and whatever I do will be seen by next to no-one, making it almost pointless.

novenD

By that time, the thread will already be on its sixth or seventh page, and whatever I do will be seen by next to no-one, making it almost pointless.

You could always do one for the next Community thread.

But I would go back and look at the first page just for your art. Seriously, I knew about it before I started lurking Gaf, and it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Loona

I will most certainly go back and look.

Same - especially considering I suggested something for it.
I kinda wondered if there'd be separate season and community threads, since the pic there wasn't Myke's, so the plan might be to use it when this thread got too big and a new one was needed.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
It just occurred to me during today's synch that the Twilight-Celestia scene in Magical Mystery Cure is lifted from the "alien beach" scene in Robert Zemeckis' Contact. Here are some common elements and themes:

- Jodie Foster's character in that movie, Ellie Harroway, is a scientist with an enormous thirst for knowledge and a skeptic by nature - just like Twilight Sparkle
- The scene starts with Ellie mysteriously disappearing from what she perceives as the real world, and fading into a dream-like, star-studded reality...
- ... where she meets up with a fatherly figure who seems to fade into existence...
- ... who gives her a speech about her (and her race's) accomplishments...
- ... before sending her back to her reality a transformed being, now different from her peers on account of her experience, and having to deal with that transformation bringing her new problems and responsibilities.
- The figure of Ellie's father who appears to her at the beach calls her by the nickname she had as a child - "Sparks".

What do you think? Am I on to something?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It just occurred to me during today's synch that the Twilight-Celestia scene in Magical Mystery Cure is lifted from the "alien beach" scene in Robert Zemeckis' Contact. Here are some common elements and themes:

- Jodie Foster's character in that movie, Ellie Harroway, is a scientist with an enormous thirst for knowledge and a skeptic by nature - just like Twilight Sparkle
- The scene starts with Ellie mysteriously disappearing from what she perceives as the real world, and fading into a dream-like, star-studded reality...
- ... where she meets up with a fatherly figure who seems to fade into existence...
- ... who gives her a speech about her (and her race's) accomplishments...
- ... before sending her back to her reality a transformed being, now different from her peers on account of her experience, and having to deal with that transformation bringing her new problems and responsibilities.
- The figure of Ellie's father who appears to her at the beach calls her by the nickname she had as a child - "Sparks".

What do you think? Am I on to something?

I think if there's a film/literature equivalent to the Celestial Zone scene I think it's the Kings Cross scene in the last Harry Potter book/film.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I think if there's a film/literature equivalent to the Celestial Zone scene I think it's the Kings Cross scene in the last Harry Potter book/film.
That could be the case - I wouldn't know, because I haven't watched/read that scene. You did not comment on my comparison or tell why you think yours is better, though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
You did not comment on my comparison or tell why you think yours is better, though.

I guess the main difference was that Ellie's encounter changed her perspective on life, particularly the idea of faith. While S4 hasn't started yet, Twilight has only undergone a physical change. As of now, we don't know if the change will have a profound impact on her life and her character. While she will no doubt have more responsibilities in her role, it doesn't necessarily have to mean a shift in character.

Also, she encountered her teacher, who herself is arguably based at least partly upon Dumbledore from the Harry Potter franchise. In Contact, Ellie encounters a being that assumes the form of her dead father. There is zero indication that she encountered anything but Celestia herself.

(don't say Applebloom got her cutie mark

don't say Applebloom got her cutie mark

don't say Applebloom got her cutie mark)

That's a nicely drawn picture.

Loona

Noticed at a store today they had a fairly big alicorn filly figure called Princess Skyla, tiara and all - I've seen the odd no-name packed with a major series character, but this one seemed odd - maybe something of a hint for things to come in the new season?
Candace + Shining Armor's kid?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Noticed at a store today they had a fairly big alicorn filly figure called Princess Skyla, tiara and all - I've seen the odd no-name packed with a major series character, but this one seemed odd - maybe something of a hint for things to come in the new season?
Candace + Shining Armor's kid?

That toy has been around for well over a year. There's nothing to indicate it's going to be brought onto the show.

PaulloDEC

I think Putting Your Hoof Down is the superior of the two.

I'm actually having a hard time picking a favourite. They're almost like a double-act; in Hoof, we see Fluttershy's darkest hour, where she hits the lowest point she's ever had. In Hurricane it's the exact opposite, where she strives harder than ever before and reaches her greatest high. With a character like Fluttershy, I found both really great to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom