• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
hateradio said:
I saw both episodes. I still think Twilight gets too much screen time. Does she always have to figure out everything?
She didn't figure out anything, she just waved her wand horn and solved the problem.

One subtle nod I appreciated was the music around Rainbow Dash's scene in episode 2. Give it a listen; it's a subdued rendition of the Sonic Rainboom theme.

Well saw the episode a few hours ago, and I just finished catching up on all the new memes and images on Ponibooru that's popped up from this episode. Wow! Great conclusion. I'd agree with Forrester that the episode was rushed like part one (but I think a three parter would make it drag too much, I really think they only needed 5-10 more minutes for a more in-depth "Twilight Mind meld" with each of the ponies. Before I saw the episode I was kinda imagining something like the Justice League episode "Only a Dream" with Twilight playing the part of J'onn. So yeah, kind of a let down there :/

Also I was hoping for a new song. Still. John De Lancie was great, he sounded like he was having fun. And Star Wars ending. WOW. I wonder how fanartists like Megasweet feel for doing all those Star Wars ponies art. If no one beats me to it, I'll definitely do a more streamlined SW mashup when the proper 5.1 mix gets out. Facepalming at all the people I've seen going "OMG! There's too many pop culture references, MLP sucks now!" I think they were just having fun with it (where were these people for the Sondheim parodies/homages?). I mean PPG had its fair share of completely obvious pop culture references and more subdued ones. And not like having a ceremony of victory was out of left field.

Regulus Tera said:
"On Lauren's departure: it was personal reasons. Which is to say she just up and told everyone she was burning out, and she withdrew right at the top of her game. It was a huge surprise to everybody, and nobody saw it coming, but they all respected her decision. The upshot is that there weren't any creative disagreements or corporate politics involved, it was just something she felt she had to do; and she'd mind-melded with Jayson and the rest of the team enough by then that they basically have all the handle on where she wanted to go with it that they need. (I wish I knew why nobody's thought to ask about this subject directly in prior interviews. It's clearly Lauren's story to tell, but it's nothing that sensitive or mysterious.)"

This is great news.

Great to hear definitive confirmation. I figured this is what the deal was. First there was that "Anonymous friend" on ED, then there was that recent interview where Lauren had said just how crazy hectic the schedules were and the long distance communicating was so inefficient and stressful. It's such a shame. I'm sure if she actually lived near the production studio she probably would've stayed on indefinitely.

Anyway, I don't think this has been posted here, I'm sure we'll agree:

For those who don't know, this was originally a sketch Lauren drew for fans. An anonymous fan colored it and added the message.

And just another thing about the episode. As much as I was dismayed seeing Fluttershy turn into a total bully, this little comic actually made the idea of a whole episode dedicated to Dark Fluttershy totally worth wanting.

OMG Aero

brian577 said:
Jayson Theisson gives us a hint about episode 3 at Bronycon
http://www.mlponies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179&p=71982#p71982

Tick-tock, time's running out

What could it mean?

He also mentioned more two parters
Clearly something bad is going to happen to Doctor Whooves: This video contains spoilers from the latest episode of Doctor Who.
Choppasmith said:
And just another thing about the episode. As much as I was dismayed seeing Fluttershy turn into a total bully, this little comic actually made the idea of a whole episode dedicated to Dark Fluttershy totally worth wanting.

http://imgur.com/EAcT9
There's also a great follow-up to this if anyone hasn't seen it:

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
KFHNt.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The moment where Discord drinks the glass, and then throws away the exploding chocolate milk.

That's the most badass moment in all of My Little Pony.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
ZealousD said:
The moment where Discord drinks the glass, and then throws away the exploding chocolate milk.

That's the most badass moment in all of My Little Pony.

R8cY0.gif

Damn you Hasbro banner.

BxKoh.gif

No Hub banners. ~yay~ In this day and age, I'm surprised they don't animate this show at a full 30 fps. Most of the animation is still every-other-frame like traditional cell animation.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Adelor Lyon said:
BxKoh.gif

No Hub banners. ~yay~ In this day and age, I'm surprised they don't animate this show at a full 30 fps. Most of the animation is still every-other-frame like traditional cell animation.

Oh I'm going to get some use out of that one...

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
DrForester said:
Oh I'm going to get some use out of that one...
ill drink to that.
BxKoh.gif

Adelor Lyon said:
http://i.imgur.com/BxKoh.gif[/IG]
No Hub banners. ~yay~ In this day and age, I'm surprised they don't animate this show at a full 30 fps. Most of the animation is still every-other-frame like traditional cell animation.[/QUOTE]
thanks for the gif.

Adelor Lyon said:

MLP is actually a mix. It runs at 60fps but the usage varies from full 60fps to in betweens. You don't want to do FBF animation at 60fps.

Personally, I think it's a sign of quality. Being smooth all the time can ruin the emphasis of motion on some sequences. I admire their willingness to have to NOT have 60fps tweens all the time, since it actually involves more effort than using 60fps tween all the time.

Ellis Kim

Banned
DrForester said:
*elongated groan*

hateradio said:
I saw both episodes. I still think Twilight gets too much screen time. Does she always have to figure out everything?
Swarm and Sleepover eps come to mind where she couldn't. I think she had a perfect amount of screen time. Her meltdown was delicious.

"Congratulations Spike, you're now Rainbow Dash." lol

Uchip

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
MLP is actually a mix. It runs at 60fps but the usage varies from full 60fps to in betweens. You don't want to do FBF animation at 60fps.

Personally, I think it's a sign of quality. Being smooth all the time can ruin the emphasis of motion on some sequences. I admire their willingness to have to NOT have 60fps tweens all the time, since it actually involves more effort than using 60fps tween all the time.

actually, the quality of the tweens depends entirely on the skill of the animator
there is no reason it cant be a constant high framerate

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I was just watching some episodes of Star Trek TNG, mostly Q episodes, and I heard the best line.

"You're next in kin to Chaos".

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ZealousD said:
I was just watching some episodes of Star Trek TNG, mostly Q episodes, and I heard the best line.

"You're next in kin to Chaos".

According to the Q&A from Bronycon, Faust was on a TNG binge when she was writing the episode.

actually, the quality of the tweens depends entirely on the skill of the animator

And like I mentioned, maintaining the tween at a constant 60fps is extremely easy because it's automatic.

Doing <60fps tweens, when the SWF runs at 60fps, involves a lot more effort. It's not laziness on behalf of the animators.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Cheerilee

Uchip said:
Of course, Jayson Thiessen apparently said that the show's being made on a "shoestring" budget (although it's well-planned to meet it's goals, so it's never running into money problems).

I think we need to find a way to convince Hasbro to throw bags of money at these guys.

Tizoc

Once again asking for a GIF of Discord skating at 4:00 with the words U MAD appearing when he starts talking.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
That will get much use in the SC2 thread :D.

Top Bottom