• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

Cheerilee

DrForester said:
Stolen from ponygoons.

http://i.imgur.com/hHvZz.png

It's not even the same book they read at the Library.

http://i.imgur.com/ktQRW.jpg
Twilight, on the grass in Canterlot, is reading the unnamed Old Book 1 (written by Celestia, as evidenced by the voice-over, and given to Twilight to begin a Batman gambit). It tells the legend of Celestia and Luna/Nightmare Moon, and how Nightmare Moon was defeated using the Elements of Harmony.

Twilight remembers reading about the Elements before, so she rushes to her Canterlot library to find her old copy of "Predictions and Prophecies" (Old Book 2). She finds the Elements in the index, where they link to the Mare in the Moon prophecy. The prophecy says that Nightmare Moon (having been defeated by the Elements) will return and destroy the world (never happened, stage two Batman gambit).

After Celestia ignores Twilight and sends her off to Ponyville, and Nightmare Moon returns (in Ponyville), Twilight runs to the Ponyville library hoping to find some info about the Elements. Pinkie Pie finds "Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide" (Old Book 3). It has some incomplete information about the Elements, and says that the Elements were left lying on the floor of Celestia/Luna's former (now abandoned) shared home.

Mane cast saves the day with rainbow space gun. Celestia takes the Elements back for "safe keeping". Discord steals them.

After wrongly guessing that the stolen Elements were in the palace maze in Canterlot, Twilight is pushed by Discord to guess again, and she guesses that they're located somewhere in Ponyville. After she gets back to her Ponyville library, she has a book that she "just knows" will give her a clue to where Discord hid them (wrong again, unless it's a magic book that tracks things, or maybe Discord wrote an update for it).

In the library, Twilight says that she wants the Reference Guide to the Elements of Harmony. Spike says he knows exactly where that is, and appears to grab Old Book 1 instead of Old Book 3, from a location that isn't where Pinkie Pie originally found Old Book 3 (which was under "E").

Any clue from Old Book 3 is unnecessary, because the Elements are inside Old Book 1, which has been hollowed out by that book-vandal Discord. Old Book 1 fits Discord's riddle, because it's where Twilight began running the Batman gambit which put the Elements in the mane cast's possession. Old Book 2 might better fit the riddle, since that's the first place Twilight heard mention of the Elements. Old Book 3 doesn't really fit the riddle.

I think it stands to reason that Twilight would have Old Book 1 in her Ponyville library, since she probably owns it as a gift from Celestia, and at the very least she can transfer books from one library to another. Also, Spike is incompetent enough to bring her the wrong book, since he can't read large words, and probably arranges Twilight's libraries using things like color and smell and memory.

OMG Aero

ahoyhoy said:
http://i.imgur.com/ELtXI.gif

Feel free to repost on the online gaming sub-forum of your choice. I'm sure it will always apply.
Needs a TF2 version:
"Unbalanced weapons? Time for a game update! New hats, new hats, new hats, new hats, and new promotional items. There, game fixed."

WTF 60fps no way. At most it has to be 24. Most animated disney are 24, decent shows and very few anime is 12, and most anime is 6 (one, twos and threes). Just beause the software can run a 60fps animation does not mean it is being done. Pixar still works at 24 too. The hobbit is going to be the first feature film to be 48 fps. most soap done with video are around 30.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ruby_onix said:
Twilight, on the grass in Canterlot, is reading the unnamed Old Book 1 (written by Celestia, as evidenced by the voice-over, and given to Twilight to begin a Batman gambit). It tells the legend of Celestia and Luna/Nightmare Moon, and how Nightmare Moon was defeated using the Elements of Harmony.

Twilight remembers reading about the Elements before, so she rushes to her Canterlot library to find her old copy of "Predictions and Prophecies" (Old Book 2). She finds the Elements in the index, where they link to the Mare in the Moon prophecy. The prophecy says that Nightmare Moon (having been defeated by the Elements) will return and destroy the world (never happened, stage two Batman gambit).

After Celestia ignores Twilight and sends her off to Ponyville, and Nightmare Moon returns (in Ponyville), Twilight runs to the Ponyville library hoping to find some info about the Elements. Pinkie Pie finds "Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide" (Old Book 3). It has some incomplete information about the Elements, and says that the Elements were left lying on the floor of Celestia/Luna's former (now abandoned) shared home.

Mane cast saves the day with rainbow space gun. Celestia takes the Elements back for "safe keeping". Discord steals them.

After wrongly guessing that the stolen Elements were in the palace maze in Canterlot, Twilight is pushed by Discord to guess again, and she guesses that they're located somewhere in Ponyville. After she gets back to her Ponyville library, she has a book that she "just knows" will give her a clue to where Discord hid them (wrong again, unless it's a magic book that tracks things, or maybe Discord wrote an update for it).

In the library, Twilight says that she wants the Reference Guide to the Elements of Harmony. Spike says he knows exactly where that is, and appears to grab Old Book 1 instead of Old Book 3, from a location that isn't where Pinkie Pie originally found Old Book 3 (which was under "E").

Any clue from Old Book 3 is unnecessary, because the Elements are inside Old Book 1, which has been hollowed out by that book-vandal Discord. Old Book 1 fits Discord's riddle, because it's where Twilight began running the Batman gambit which put the Elements in the mane cast's possession. Old Book 2 might better fit the riddle, since that's the first place Twilight heard mention of the Elements. Old Book 3 doesn't really fit the riddle.

I think it stands to reason that Twilight would have Old Book 1 in her Ponyville library, since she probably owns it as a gift from Celestia, and at the very least she can transfer books from one library to another. Also, Spike is incompetent enough to bring her the wrong book, since he can't read large words, and probably arranges Twilight's libraries using things like color and smell and memory.

Guess I made it sound like I didn't like it. I love that they used the book from the very beginning.

blamite

DrForester said:
Ponies are back October 15

Lesson Zero
Ooh, sounds fun. After the last two weeks Twilight is slowly climbing my list. Hopefully they can keep that going. Now where's the episode that makes people like Applejack?

Cheerilee

DrForester said:
Guess I made it sound like I didn't like it. I love that they used the book from the very beginning.
Nah, you didn't. I just wanted to track which book was which, so I started typing while checking.

I also liked how all three books (at least in the pilot) each had their own distinct appearance.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Owlowiscious said:
you put it in spoiler tags in the other thread but not in this one and i read it oh well

Because this isn't a spoiler thread.... It's no different than the season 1 thread where we had episode synopsis for episodes 2 weeks before the show aired and we talked openly about them.

Don't know why people are suddenly so worried about them. First two episodes it kind of made sense, especially with the ep. 2 synopsis giving away the ending to ep. 1.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Owlowiscious said:
you put it in spoiler tags in the other thread but not in this one and i read it oh well
Rules:
This thread will operate with minimum black bars. What this means is that if you want to avoid spoilers, you should avoid the thread until the show begins airing. Episode previews, as well summaries from The HUB will be posted and talked about freely.

OMG Aero

Okay seriously, I was adamantly anti-spoiler for the first two episodes but they were adventure episodes with an actual story. A single sentence synopsis for a slice of life episode is not a spoiler, no-one had a problem with them for season 1.

judhudson

So I watched all of season 1 this past week and I just finished watching the first two episodes of Season 2. Can I say one of my favorite cartoons ever? This show is so full of win. Now that I'm caught up, I can hopefully carry a discussion now. I guess I should go back and read the 18 pages in this thread, then hit the Pony community thread and all of the 200 something pages it has.

I suppose this officially makes me a brony? :)

Narag

judhudson said:
So I watched all of season 1 this past week and I just finished watching the first two episodes of Season 2. Can I say one of my favorite cartoons ever? This show is so full of win. Now that I'm caught up, I can hopefully carry a discussion now. I guess I should go back and read the 18 pages in this thread, then hit the Pony community thread and all of the 200 something pages it has.

I suppose this officially makes me a brony? :)

You can situate yourself in the Community thread fairly quickly using this handy dandy pony ranking template:

Code:
1. <Your choice here.>
2. <Your choice here.>
3. <Your choice here.>
4. <Your choice here.>
5. <Your choice here.>
6. Applejack

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Narag said:
You can situate yourself in the Community thread fairly quickly using this handy dandy pony ranking template:

Code:
1. <Pegasus Pony here.>
2. <Other Pegasus Pony.>
3. <Twilight Sparkle.>
4. <Rarity.>
5. <Pinkie Pie.>
6. Applejack

Exactly.

judhudson

...but I like AppleJack (I haven't really thought of the order of my favorites)...I guess though it has to do with me being a little bit country though.

WTF 60fps no way. At most it has to be 24. Most animated disney are 24, decent shows and very few anime is 12, and most anime is 6 (one, twos and threes). Just beause the software can run a 60fps animation does not mean it is being done. Pixar still works at 24 too. The hobbit is going to be the first feature film to be 48 fps. most soap done with video are around 30.

Traditional animation is set at 24fps (but keyframes are drawn in less than that) because it's too time consuming to draw.

Tweened animation can reach the maximum set fps without effort.

Reason why 3D films don't go at 60fps is because:
a) Takes too long to render. Ice Age 1 took many hours to render a single frame on a server farm.
b) It's Hollywood.

It doesn't take that much effort to render 1080p 60fps for Flash.

AceBandage said:
1. Luna
2. Dr Whoof
3. Derpy
4. Big Mac
5. Spike

Only correct list.
You forgot Berry Punch. :(

judhudson said:
...but I like AppleJack (I haven't really thought of the order of my favorites)...I guess though it has to do with me being a little bit country though.
Fuck the haters, AJ is where it's at.

Wolf Akela said:
Traditional animation is set at 24fps (but keyframes are drawn in less than that) because it's too time consuming to draw.

Tweened animation can reach the maximum set fps without effort.

Reason why 3D films don't go at 60fps is because:
a) Takes too long to render. Ice Age 1 took many hours to render a single frame on a server farm.
b) It's Hollywood.

It doesn't take that much effort to render 1080p 60fps for Flash.
Whoah, I've missed this conversation entirely, but I can vouch as a professional flash animator that they're outputting at 30 fps and probably animating at 24 fps.

It looks super smooth because of a feature called "motion tweens" which usually is animated on ones (aka, 24 unique frames per second).

For an elaborate sequence using new unique drawings (or the typical traditionally animated cartoon), it'll be on twos (aka 12 unique drawings per second), but not all the time. For instance, if a character had to move their arm
  • frame one is the first key drawing of the resting position
  • frame two is a unique inbetween
  • frame three is that same unique inbetween
  • frame four is a second unique inbetween
  • frame five is the second key drawing of the arm up

TL:DR the show is definitely animated at 24 fps sometimes on ones for simple stuff and on twos for things with a lot of redrawing (though possibly delivered at 30fps via post-production voodoo), and someone with the official itunes quicktimes can easily verify that.

Also flash can theoretically render a show like that with relatively minimal effort, but there is absolutely no reason for an animated show to go at that speed since it basically doubles the amount of unique drawings without any real payoff.

Also in retrospect, since I didn't read back to where this conversation first started, maybe nobody was arguing that the show was 60fps.

God, it's late.

Uchip

Banned
judhudson said:

Applejack is the only genuine character
Loyalty is the poor mans honesty etc

Ramma2

Owlowiscious said:
1. S
2. c
3. o
4. o
5. t
6. aloo

Spike.gif

Ellis Kim

Banned
Owlowiscious said:
So you're saying Applejack will replace Luna?
Just know that Owlowiscious will never return. Ever.

And if he does, he better be some sort of alternate universe version with a cockney accent and delusions of grandeur.

Ellis Kim said:
Just know that Owlowiscious will never return. Ever.

And if he does, he better be some sort of alternate universe version with a cockney accent and delusions of grandeur.
That last part would be pretty fantastic if I say so myself.
But he will return damn it! he has to!

Top Bottom