• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

$200

Banned
This is going to appear in the New York Times Wedding Section
http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/04/13/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-wedding-announcement/

From the article
“We want to justify something big and crazy and exciting,” McCarthy explains, noting that the two-part wedding episode has an “epic fantasy element.” Having seen it myself, I can concur; the hour-long special is ambitious, absorbing, and thoroughly entertaining,

The hype has been doubled!
Wait, it's written by Meghan McCarthy? Hype hype hype

It's not really close enough for people who know the word "showrunner" to mistake them for each other, but it is close enough to make Meghan a candidate for Jayson's replacement.

Of course, this could all be nothing. I'm not suggesting that people panic, just that they brace themselves for that possibility.

Ehhh, it's possible. And maybe like Lauren, he's waiting until Season 2 ends before announcing his departure, but I doubt it. I'm sure the writer thought saying "Showrunner" would be better and more understandable than "Story Editor". And who's to say she's THE showrunner? You can have more than one. If anything though it'd be because he's fired, but I just can't see how with him, Lauren, and others saying how generally lax they've been.

I do have to wonder if this means Meghan being interviewed means she wrote it, or what (I hope so, we're definitely overdue for one of her episodes and if she's going to strictly be Story Editor, this would be her last episode). If she did why didn't the author just refer to her as the writer. Argh!

Well again, it's possible, but it's too early to say. I sincerely doubt it though.

Orcastar

So Cadence was Twilight's babysitter? Celestia's niece was her babysitter? Huh, I guess being the goddess queen's star pupil comes with a few benefits. I wonder what "dark secret" Cadence could have then that Celestia, Twilight and Shining Armor haven't discovered before.

I'm kinda surprised the finale hasn't been leaked yet (at least to my knowledge), considering the Hub has already sent out press kits that include the episodes on DVD.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So Cadence was Twilight's babysitter? Celestia's niece was her babysitter? Huh, I guess being the goddess queen's star pupil comes with a few benefits. I wonder what "dark secret" Cadence could have then that Celestia, Twilight and Shining Armor haven't discovered before.

I'm kinda surprised the finale hasn't been leaked yet (at least to my knowledge), considering the Hub has already sent out press kits that include the episodes on DVD.

Cadance isn't a natural Alicorn.

Orcastar

Cadance isn't a natural Alicorn.

That's exactly what I hope for, that either her wings or her horn turn out to be fake, but I doubt that will be it. And here's why: Faust was still involved in the story conception and scripts for season two, but in one of her DA comments, she said that she was surprised Cadence had become an alicorn instead of just a unicorn as she had envisioned.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And I think Twilgiht's "mixed feeling" about the wedding have nothing to do with her brother, and everything to do with her geeeking out about being related to Celestia.

McNum

And I think Twilgiht's "mixed feeling" about the wedding have nothing to do with her brother, and everything to do with her geeeking out about being related to Celestia.
To be fair, sister to the husband of the princess' niece is still a rather weak connection. Not that it will stop Rarity from geeking out over it, of course. Pinkie, too, probably, but I'd think it's more about the gigantic party she's been invited to.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
To be fair, sister to the husband of the princess' niece is still a rather weak connection. Not that it will stop Rarity from geeking out over it, of course. Pinkie, too, probably, but I'd think it's more about the gigantic party she's been invited to.

or in short form: 'niece in-law'.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Wouldn't that be the woman married to your nephew? It's the sibling of that person I'm referring to. It's still family, but it's kind of a edge case.
isn't it both your example and any female sibling to someone marrying in?

hmm.

if my brother married, his girlfriend would be my sister in-law, doesn't it make sense if she's my sister in law that her parents would also be in-laws?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
And the new version of The Last Roundup is being used for TV broadcast. Fuck... good thing we have the DVD and many MANY YouTube uploads.

Theonik

That's exactly what I hope for, that either her wings or her horn turn out to be fake, but I doubt that will be it. And here's why: Faust was still involved in the story conception and scripts for season two, but in one of her DA comments, she said that she was surprised Cadence had become an alicorn instead of just a unicorn as she had envisioned.
It's a shame really, in Faust's universe Celestia and Luna were meant to be the only Alicorn god-ponies.

Orcastar

It's a shame really, in Faust's universe Celestia and Luna were meant to be the only Alicorn god-ponies.

It is. Cadence most likely became an Alicorn only because Hasbro wanted to create another alicorn toy and Luna wouldn't do, what with her being all blue and therefore completely unmarketable to girls. And this of course means that as the series continues, we're likely to see even more alicorns.

Theonik

It is. Cadence most likely became an Alicorn only because Hasbro wanted to create another alicorn toy and Luna wouldn't do, what with her being all blue and therefore completely unmarketable to girls. And this of course means that as the series continues, we're likely to see even more alicorns.
Yeah, didn't they even make Luna's toy violet or something like that? A lot of season 2 has almost certainly seen some hasbro tampering. The wedding episode itself being pushed like crazy in order to sell the wedding set. (which is sort of a "well duh!" thing considering that, while it's a good show it's still a glorified toy comercial.)
At least introducing a new pink Alicorn means they can start making white Celestia merchandise...
That's another reason they did this I think, with the new $20 white Celestia, they needed a new pink Alicorn to replace her. (the new Celestia has ugly wings now to maintain "girl appeal".)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I honestly wonder if the real run of events was Hasbro just wanting a princess wedding, and the Faust and the others at the time making a third princess so they didn't have to do anything with Celestia or Luna, and then Hasbro told them later to make her an alicorn...

brian577

Banned
I honestly wonder if the real run of events was Hasbro just wanting a princess wedding, and the Faust and the others at the time making a third princess so they didn't have to do anything with Celestia or Luna, and then Hasbro told them later to make her an alicorn...

I don't know, this interview makes it sound like it was Faust's idea and Hasbro just decided to go with it.

"We want to justify something big and crazy and exciting,” McCarthy explains, noting that the two-part wedding episode has an “epic fantasy element.”

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/04/13/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-wedding-announcement/

Tizoc

So Season 3 might have more than 13 eps. hope that's true and that'll it continue with the good quality it's been these past 2 seasons.

Narag

So Season 3 might have more than 13 eps. hope that's true and that'll it continue with the good quality it's been these past 2 seasons.

I've the feeling that the initial order was just to meet the 65 episode requirement for syndication but if popularity remained it'd be expanded.

Morgadeth

I would have liked if they went with marrying off Luna instead of making a new alicorn. It would be a nice exclamation mark on her return to being good again and it's
Twi's brother
which would have been a good twist.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
The worst thing about this upcoming episode is the marketing blitz they have done.
I was all set on coming in not really interested due to the synopsis. Most of the best episodes were introduced by poor synopsis, in my opinion.

I guess they want to keep Celestia/Luna virgins/celibate.

That, plus Celestia and Luna are cannon immortal. So I'm not sure that they'll just show them marring a normal Pony. Even if he is Twi's brother.

It's kinda sad to think how Celestia and Luna will ultimately out live everyone they care about.

Link Man

Banned
No, I'm sure I checked the OPs of both threads about a month or two ago because I was looking for a link (can't remember what link I wanted). The only way the pics would've expired would be if nobody on GAF ever checked the OP since almost immediately after it was made.

Imgur simply failed.

Well, it could also be that Forester deleted the images to make more space in his account.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm still peeved that twilight's brother is introduced abruptly.

I'm less concerned about this. From what we know, Hasbro wanted a new Pony alicorn, and a Pony royal wedding. I can't imagine there was any pressure on the show to give Twilight an older brother, and he's something the writers came up with, and I trust the writers.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
He's captain of the royal guard. That hardly seems like a position that would require a lot of traveling.

Only in wartime. Then he would be leading the Royal Mounted Calvary overseas.

Now, you have to ask yourself: is Celestia the kind of person who might declare a multitude of wars?

After hearing all the positive praise from EQD and all the hype, I find it funny how when the episode/toys were announced people were griping over "corporate meddling" and how this episode would suck. I'm predicting there'll be a bunch of Cadence fans after it airs.

Link Man

Banned
If I recall my canon correctly, every Royal Mounted Cavalry solider is "mounted" by an oversized cannon. I believe Pinkie's "Party Cannon" is actually a retrofitted weapon from Celestia's Glorious Timber Wolf Campaign

Which makes sense, given that Shining Armor is a unicorn and wouldn't rely on superior magic, instead trusting in single-shot artillery.

Theonik

For Twilight's brother was probably a decision from the team themselves. Cadence needed a person to get married to and making a character for that purpose rather than shipping an existing one probably made more sense. Playing the whole "busy brother" card and connecting him to twilight was probably intended to be used as a plot device to get the mane 6 and especially twilight more involved with the wedding rather than just having them there because Celestia invited them.

Top Bottom