• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season 4 |OT| Twilight Princess Returns

PaulloDEC

Movie is called Rainbow Rocks. Promote it with generic wubs.

I was optimistic about the new EG based on what I've read so far, but not anymore after seeing that clip.

What HUELEN10 said. Also keep in mind that this is one of EIGHT short promo videos they'll be releasing.

And c'mon, what the hell else was Vinyl going to be listening to?

$200

Banned
Upcoming episodes:

420: Leap of Faith -
The Flim Flam Brothers’ cure-all tonic promises Ponyville citizens a chance to be rid of their ailments. Applejack has her doubts about the merits of the tonic until Granny Smith begins taking it and appears to be cured of all her aches and pains. (Josh Haber)

421: Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3 -
Rainbow Dash is preparing to take her test on the history of the Wonderbolts; a test she must pass in order to become a member of the Wonderbolts Reserves. Twilight offers to help her study, but soon realizes that her conventional methods do not work. (Amy Keating Rogers)

422: Trade Ya -
Spike and the Mane 6 are headed to the Rainbow Falls Traders Exchange to find items they treasure. But when things don’t go exactly as planned, the girls learn that nothing is more valuable than their friendship. (Scott Sonneborn)

423: Inspiration Manifestation -
Rarity loses her creative mojo and feels like she may never be able to create again. Eager to help, Spike finds a spell that activates Rarity’s visions – both good and bad. (Corey Powell and Meghan McCarthy)

424: Equestria Games -
Spike is in charge of lighting the torch for the opening of the Equestria Games, but his nerves get the best of him. (Dave Polsky)

---

Way too much Spike :\

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
There is never too much Spike.

And barring a non-two-parter finale, we officially are at four seasons with no Celestia episode...

Darksol

Way too much Spike :\

Yeah. I'm perfectly fine with him relegated to a line or two per show, tops. Three shows with him as a focus, back to back to back sounds sorta meh.

Then again, I've loved this season, so I trust that they can pull it off.

HUELEN10

Damn, I just noticed that the teacher after the cafe scene in "Music To My Ears" is indeed Cranky Doodle Donkey. Can't believe I missed that.

UberTag

Preview clips are now up for 'Leap of Faith' from writer Josh Haber (who brought us two of Season 4's finest comedic episodes in Castle Mane-ia and Simple Ways)...

Clip #1
Clip #2

I would be shocked if this doesn't wind up being Applejack's rainbow doodad episode.

HUELEN10

I would be shocked if this doesn't wind up being Applejack's rainbow doodad episode.
Considering the other episodes left this season, yeah she has to get it in this one. That is, unless she isn't supposed to get one. Perhaps McDonald's is trying to tell us something...

Speaking of McDonald's, anyone else get ponies today? Today they had toys 1 and 2, Twilight and Pinkie respectively.

Tenumi

Banned
Considering the other episodes left this season, yeah she has to get it in this one. That is, unless she isn't supposed to get one. Perhaps McDonald's is trying to tell us something...

Speaking of McDonald's, anyone else get ponies today? Today they had toys 1 and 2, Twilight and Pinkie respectively.

I actually got them all, thanks to my mother, who went to McDonald's today. I'm certainly going to have some nice new decorations in my home office.

HUELEN10

Pics of avatar related now please! I heard her tail is actually all Blue, making it the best Vinyl ever. Is this the case?

New Footage of Rainbow Rocks just came out, featuring 2 minutes of just Vinyl Scratch.

http://youtu.be/qh7j1qUaGOc

Fuck the haters, I thought it was cool.

That was pretty cool.
The only thing I dont really like about equestria girls is the designs (I would have ditch the skin colors, some characters look atrocious, other look better, but the mismatch make it look all cheap), but after the movie and this scene I really like the slice of life high school setting, it reminds me a lot of Disney Hercules the animated series or Persona games, more than shitty monster high (however some parts in the movie still remind me monster high a little, so those were the worse part).

Preview clips are now up for 'Leap of Faith' from writer Josh Haber (who brought us two of Season 4's finest comedic episodes in Castle Mane-ia and Simple Ways)...

Clip #1
Clip #2

YES! Flim Flam! They are one of my favourite characters.

Silvawuff

The episode today was better than last week, I think. The lesson today was powerful, and The Best CMC had lots of face time.

Another Rainbow Key! The dawn of Hasbro's new toy line draws ever closer!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
OK episode. Was let down that they brought back Flim and Flam only to turn them into con men. They were interesting before because they weren't actually con men.

Silvawuff

OK episode. Was let down that they brought back Flim and Flam only to turn them into con men. They were interesting before because they weren't actually con men.

I definitely agree with you on this one. Who knows? Maybe they'll eventually come back as more than just a means to an end for the sake of hashing out a story.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
From a deleted HUB twitter post...
6VKIrWm.png

McNum

I like this episode, it was a good Applejack episode and no one stole the spolight. Straight up good Applejack doing what Applejack does. And yeah, the lesson in this is quite the good one. "Sometimes people prefer a lie over the truth."

Now to speculate a bit on the final stretch of episodes... This time another rainbow item is gained by teaching someone else about the element. But I wonder, I don't think that's all how it works. Each of the Mane 6 who have their item also had to face the downside of their respective elements and beat it.

That's kind of interesting, when Generosity, Loyalty, Laughter, Kindness, and Honesty are in play, most cartoons would highlight them as great virtues to be followed. My Little Pony does so as well, but it adds a "but..."

- Generosity can get you in trouble if people take advantage of you.
- Loyalty can clash with ambitions.
- Laughter has to be fun for the one you want to cheer up.
- Kindness can be suffocating, sometimes being cruel is kinder.
- Honesty can hurt when people are happier believing a lie.

Makes me wonder what they're setting up for Twilight. I'm thinking that while Magic is her element... the show would be quite daring if it went for the big one:

"Friendship is Magic, BUT..."

Go on, My Little Pony. I dare you. Challenge the very core of the show. Show that even friendship has a downside that you have to accept if you want it. That's be a much more interesting episode than Twilight learning the downside of Magic.

UberTag

Solid episode today. Josh Haber's built himself a nice track record of consistency this season.

Rainbow item gift giver recap:
- Cheese Sandwich (for Pinkie Pie)
- Coco Pommel (for Rarity)
- Seabreeze (for Fluttershy)
- Silver Shill (for Applejack)
- Spitfire (for Rainbow Dash)

One more to go. Seems likely we'll see it in 3 weeks' time in the episode "Trade Ya".

PaulloDEC

Solid episode this week. I'm glad the Apple family's gotten a lot of attention this season, I always enjoy their antics. Nice to see Flim and Flam back too.

Damn, I'd not thought of that until you mentioned it.

It's actually a weird thing given that they're specifically portrayed as classic con-artists from the very beginning (even down to their names) and yet in their first appearance they're actually the genuine article. Kinda confusing on the characterisation front.

I like this episode, it was a good Applejack episode and no one stole the spolight. Straight up good Applejack doing what Applejack does. And yeah, the lesson in this is quite the good one. "Sometimes people prefer a lie over the truth."

Now to speculate a bit on the final stretch of episodes... This time another rainbow item is gained by teaching someone else about the element. But I wonder, I don't think that's all how it works. Each of the Mane 6 who have their item also had to face the downside of their respective elements and beat it.

That's kind of interesting, when Generosity, Loyalty, Laughter, Kindness, and Honesty are in play, most cartoons would highlight them as great virtues to be followed. My Little Pony does so as well, but it adds a "but..."

- Generosity can get you in trouble if people take advantage of you.
- Loyalty can clash with ambitions.
- Laughter has to be fun for the one you want to cheer up.
- Kindness can be suffocating, sometimes being cruel is kinder.
- Honesty can hurt when people are happier believing a lie.

Makes me wonder what they're setting up for Twilight. I'm thinking that while Magic is her element... the show would be quite daring if it went for the big one:

"Friendship is Magic, BUT..."

Go on, My Little Pony. I dare you. Challenge the very core of the show. Show that even friendship has a downside that you have to accept if you want it. That's be a much more interesting episode than Twilight learning the downside of Magic.

Interesting train of thought... I like it! Will be very interested to see how it pans out.

Their sales pitch to the Apples was a bit of a con, a 75-25 split for a device that wasn't really necessary and also they start a contest for the entire farm over who can make the most cider essentially giving them the farm for free rather than paying for the farm or even just the apples to continue making their cider.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Their sales pitch to the Apples was a bit of a con, a 75-25 split for a device that wasn't really necessary and also they start a contest for the entire farm over who can make the most cider essentially giving them the farm for free rather than paying for the farm or even just the apples to continue making their cider.

Oh they are greedy for sure, and even taking into negotiations that was a bit of an insulting first offer, but there was nothing wrong with their product or service offered.

This episode was fantastic. It had a very complicated moral, and I am glad that the show hasn't shied away from more complex themes. It's also nice to see best pony get an episode to herself without having to share the spotlight with anypony else. Apple Jack has just been great this season, and featured so heavily throughout. Even when she is not in an episode for too long, she has had some of the best reactions and one liners. Season 4 has been really good about giving her more to do than worry about apples, and has really fleshed out her character making her one of the most complex personalities on the show.

Also, while not as great as their original song, I loved the new Flim Flam number. Next to Apples to the Core, it's my favorite song of the season.

Oh they are greedy for sure, and even taking into negotiations that was a bit of an insulting first offer, but there was nothing wrong with their product or service offered.

The product or service wasn't the con. The price for it was. They wanted at least half the profit for nothing then when that was refused they tried for total market dominance by having a contest over something they could easily win in quantity rather than quality which would of been a contest with a balanced playing field.

And the Film Flam bros made another perfect episode.
It's funny their episodes have the best complicated morals lol. Too bad Applejack had to repeat the whole moral with the book thing after it was well established already at the end, that is the only negative thing I found in the episode. I know it's a series for kids, but the sooner they ditch the repeat the moral at the end by writting or narrating, the better.

And the song was really fun, not as good a super speedy cider squeezy 6000, but that's probably my favourite song of the show, so it's difficult to top it.

draetenth

I agree with this. I also wish they would never sing again. Their two songs are definitely among the worst of series for me.

Top Bottom